Live Discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 15th January

Dr Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 15th January 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 9 Jan 2014 at 6:32 PM
  • 46 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 258 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr.

I echo what Annie says about early sleep. It's true, but not enough. Getting back to sleep is the problem (sleep maintenance). I have not yet found things that help all that much. I do know that what goes on in my daily life that creates anxiety is a big source of the problem. Not sure that just finding ways to relax will ease it for me. Not easy to write in a blog.

Going to yoga now (thought to help with relaxing and it's also a form of exercise).

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

Welcome 123mark, good to have you on board! Sleepio is designed for a range of sleep problems, terminal insomnia, (waking up too early) included. You mention benzodiazepines – xanax. We do know that it can be difficult to come off this class of drugs and indeed, as you guessed, the side effect profile does include sleep difficulties. If you have continuing concerns about xanax I would recommend you return to your prescriber.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

Thanks doctor. I have been off xanax for about 1 year. I will never try any sleep med again. That would be a discussion for another day. Thank you for responding to my questions and I am sure I will have many more as I continue

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi Caliman, I might have missed you by now if you're off to yoga but I'll try to respond anyway. You mention that you know the source of your anxiety and possibly sleep maintenance is daytime factors. Without disclosing too much information, I wonder whether you feel that you have solutions to the daytime issues but for various reasons are unable to implement these solutions? Is this situation making you feel increasingly low and you are ruminating – going over and over it?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Josiejo, the short answer would be not to change anything just now! You did experience some improvement and thus provided you are not too sleepy in the daytime I would follow the SR you have. As you indicated, it is only 9 weeks and thus I think you need more time.

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 30 helped
    Session 1

Ok thank you Dr.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi anniem, there is SOME truth to the statement but its a lot less categorical than that. The most restorative sleep or at least deep sleep tends to take place in the first third of the night or so. That all depends on when you go to bed and sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Corredor and welcome to the course! Sleepio will cover exercise and sleep in terms of timings of activities. If you think that vigorous exercise (like sprints) can interfere with your sleep it might be helpful to think about finding the right time of day for it. Finding a way that it fits into your routine, so you still get the benefits, but so that it doesn't get in the way of you winding down in the evening.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. So the time matters but theres more to it than that.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Sorry I should have explained that better – its the first part of your sleep from when you fall asleep rather than the time.

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Annie,

That was a great question. I have been told over and over that the best sleep comes before midnight.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hope its clear now, the first third is the most important. I suspect it was regarded as before midnight in the past when people generally went to bed long before 12 and thus around a third of their sleep might take place then. Now of course, that is less so.

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Yes. That is actually really good news!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Thanks everyone for your posts, good to have a variety of questions.
    Good night

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Night Dr Espie and Bryony.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Nice to 'meet' you all this evening. I'm going to head off now, but good luck with the sleep over the next week. Bryony

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Night Anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

I see you are doing the course too Bryony. Good to know how it all unfolds c

Return to top