Live discussion with Dr Adrienne Heinz - 5th Sept 2018

Dr Heinz will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 5th September, from 8:00pm to 9:30pm British Summer Time or 3:00pm to 4:30pm US Eastern Daylight Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Heinz will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 30 Aug 2018 at 11:10 AM
  • 16 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Recently I've become very paranoid about the position I fall asleep in. I generally sleep on my stomach and sometimes on my side but I'm not sure if this can or is causing me to wake up more frequently at night. Should I be worried about this and if so what can I do?

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dear Dr Heinz,
    Does using a lavender-based pillow spray constitute 'cheating' on the Sleepio programme? I want to do things correctly and I am unsure if I should use it. It could become a prop that I'd feel I couldn't do without. Perhaps I have answered my own question but I'd be interested in your thoughts, please. I am in week 4, feeling very tired!
    Many thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 30 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

My sleep is generally okay, or fair most nights. However I have spells where it can be really bad. For example last Friday night I returned after a training session at my MMA club and was fairly vigorous. This finished at 7pm and I went for a nice meal after, however I just couldn't sleep that night until around 4am. It seemed that my body was full of adrenaline. Consequently I usually go on to have a further two or three days bad sleep after before things get back to normal. Can you tell me what's going on here and how best to deal with it in future? Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My biggest issue for the last eight years has been waking up in the early hours with a racing mind and not being able to get back to sleep. Relaxation techniques keep me relaxed but don't send me to sleep. Would the combination with a low dose sleep medication help?

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Greetings, This is Dr. Adrienne Heinz joining you for the next 90 minutes. I'm a clinical and research psychologist and I look forward to answering your questions about sleep today!

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Waking up to a “thought race-track” can be incredibly frustrating and calming the mind is not always easy. Although we aren’t able to give personalized medical advice here, many people have found relief from this common issue using cognitive techniques described here in session 4 which you will soon encounter https://www.sleepio.com/library/area/session4/. Some of these strategies help provide distance and separation between ourselves and our minds. Specifically, we can learn to observe our thoughts with non-judgmental curiosity rather than reacting and absorbing them.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Inconsistent sleep quality, although somewhat common, can be super frustrating. It’s important to note that our sleep does ebb and flow often depending on what’s going on in our lives. For some individuals, exercise later in the day can impact sleep and morning workouts are more optimal. It might also be helpful to consider all the various factors that play into your bedtime routine and bedroom environment https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/the-importance-of-the-sleeping-environment/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

In the wake of changing long-entrenched sleep patterns, it can be anxiety-provoking to determine what might compromise our success. No need to fret too much here – lavender spray does not constitute cheating. If you find that it relaxes and comforts you, feel free to add it to your routine. The most important thing is that you be consistent with how you put the day to rest https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/before-bed-the-wind-down-routine/ and how you maintain your sleeping environment https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/the-importance-of-the-sleeping-environment/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Sleep positions tend to be unique to the individual and you should aim to sleep in the position that makes you most comfortable. Adjustment of the sleeping position is recommended during pregnancy and when managing a pain condition (using pillows for support). For those who snore, sleeping on the side can be helpful. If you believe your sleep position to be responsible for frequent wakings, you might try to sleep backside and determine if that improves sleep quality.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr.

While thankfully 'racing mind ' is less prevalent, I wake up alert and do not get down to sleeping after a short unlike previously. Therefore, I end up reading around an hour till I have had enough, since I do not feel drowsy and can be touch and go. Therefore, have been times when I had to rise up again and do more reading.

Separately, as time progrsses I seem to find life more tough going since I am yet to wake up fresh, not been so for decade, so have to take each day as it comes.

It can be tough going post my brunch, main meal, having cut back on carbs many years back.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Chronically not feeling refreshed can certainly “take the wind out of our sails.” One thing to keep in mind is the quarter hour rule. If you find yourself not able to sleep for more than 15 mins, leave the bedroom (if possible) and do something non-stimulating (in your case reading) and do not return to the bedroom until sufficiently sleepy. Leaving the bedroom will help break the association that forms between the bed and feelings of stress and anxiety about not getting a good nights sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Further, it is frustrating that I was ready for bed before 7pm but, having washed some clothes then along with light gardening I am nowhere near as tired now.

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your advice however, having suffered with Insomnia for decades these days I am more
    reluctant to leave the bed so sit on the side.

Separately, It can be tough going post my brunch, main meal, having cut back on carbs many years back. This often dictates my plans for the rest of the day. Therefore, often have to get what I can do if I wake up strong enough before my meal to get some work done.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Thanks everyone for your great questions today – I look forward to chatting again next month!

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello you have not responded to my latter two enquiries!!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you so much Dr Heinz.

Return to top