Live Discussion with Dr Adrienne Heinz - 31st October 2018

Dr Heinz will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 31st October, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm British Time or 3:00pm to 4:30pm US Eastern Daylight Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Heinz will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 25 Oct 2018 at 4:01 PM
  • 14 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hello, I’ve just completed week 1 sleep dairy – the times reflect the fact that I’ve been sleep restricting x one month – is this workable with Sleepio approach ?
    Thank you!

Ps saw a similar community question but couldn’t see reply.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hello again, my insomnia dates back 32 years, beginning when I started a sugar abstinence programme for binge eating disorder. It has gradually lessened in intensity, after many rough years, better esp last two years since retirement (now 62) but still averaging 3-4 poor nights sleep/week. I’m guessing it may take longer for positive effects – can you please give some detail, maybe re physiology, if possible as to why insomnia duration affects speed of resolution? Many thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone heard Dr. Adrienne Heinz before? If so, is she worth listening to? I'd have to re-schedule a patient to be on the call, so that's why I'm asking.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

First, I'm no medical doc, but I am a psychologist who has, herself, dealt with insomnia for a few more years than you--not that it's a contest, or anything. I'm curious as to your gender, and the reason I'm curious is because I know that menstrual cycle hormones and menopause affects sleep patterns.
    If you were to look at the duration of your insomnia, see it as a pattern, I'd say that we do not break patterns, if you will, overnight. I have found the sleep restriction part of this program the most daunting part, initially, anyway. I really had to wrap my head around that concept, and develop the discipline to stop working at a certain hour, have time to relax however I did, do pre-bedtime ablutions, put on my CPAP mask and crawl into bed. For me, two of the most helpful parts of this program are learning sleep restriction and confronting negative thoughts about sleeping or not sleeping. I also use mental imaging to help me get to sleep. It turns out for me that, on this sleep restriction thing, I no longer wake up in the middle of the night and stay up. I just wake up, use the toilet, and get back in bed. I started to realize my part in the middle of the night insomnia. I'd have my computer next to me, or another electronic device, or a book--and if I stayed awake long enough after using the toilet, I'd turn on the computer or play a game on my phone. Then I'd get stimulated and be up for two or three hours.
    That's my story, and it's all I can offer. Hopefully there's a medical doc on here who knows more about hormones, the physiology of sleep and the role of the brain, particularly the pre frontal cortex. BTW, I'm reading “The Marshmallow Test,” the content of which translates well into issues around sleep, around weight loss, actually around anything that one might call “self control.” That latter term is used in positive way.
    Sorry this is so long. I type fast, so…

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

HI,
    New here first post so bare with me.

I have had trouble sleeping for a few years, it started from a side effect of an SSRI I was on for a few weeks that perpetuated into sleeping issues. I was able to control it with natural remedies and OTC sleep aids and live a fairly normal life but never been a good sleeper by any stretch.

I became a new father about 11 months ago which, created a whole new ball of sleep problems. So after going to my doctor and getting prescribed trazodone(which helped) I am hear wanting to try CBT-I.

My question is how does CBT-i help a new parent when consistency isn't always possible? I have no trouble falling asleep but wake up at crazy hours 3am, 4am, or 5am. Unable to fall back asleep, I almost feel broken. I know I am new to the program but it seems to be tailored more so in helping sleep onset insomnia.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi MKH, thank you so much for replying

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Another question please! What is the average sleep duration on graduation? Does it usually increase afterwards? Your hopefully ….

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi There – No need to reschedule meetings. This session is a text-based messaging system; there is no audio. Feel free to leave your questions and you can read responses at a time that is convenient for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Greetings everyone! This is Dr. Adrienne Heinz reporting for a live session. I look forward to answering your questions over the next 90 mins.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Sleep restriction is not scheduled in Sleepio until later in the program, around week 3. If you are restricting your sleep based on calculations provided by a physician or other provider, that should be fine. Otherwise, it is recommended that you to wait to start sleep restriction until guided by the Sleepio program as it will help you set parameters for your sleep based on your own sleep data. Regarding your question about duration of insomnia and time to recovery, there is some evidence that individuals with chronic insomnia may be a higher risk for relapse after treatment. As you note, these sleep patterns didn’t develop over night and will take time to correct. Upon graduation, about 75% of users return to healthy sleep patterns of 7-8 hours of sleep a night at about 80-90% sleep efficiency.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Congrats on the new addition to your family. Sleep as a new parent is a HUGE challenge and it’s important to be gentle with yourself during this time of transition. CBT-I can be a helpful option even amidst the “chaos” of parenting an infant. There are creative solutions that can be implemented, especially if you are partnered or co-parenting and can arrange for a pre-agreed upon schedule of nighttime waking. For helpful tips and resources on sleep as a new parent check out our evidence-based guide here. https://www.sleepio.com/articles/parent-sleep/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

You are correct in that sleep is impacted by hormones and this is especially true for women as they age and go through menopause. Check out our library entry on this topic here: https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/menopause-and-sleep/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for tuning in today. We're here each and every Wednesday to answer your questions about sleep. Take good care this week.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Thanks very much for these informative/ encouraging words!

Return to top