Live Discussion with Dr Adrienne Heinz - 28th November 2018

Dr Heinz will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 28th November, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm British Time or 3:00pm to 4:30pm US Eastern Daylight Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Heinz will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 23 Nov 2018 at 12:39 PM
  • 21 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 5

Sleep quality

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Going to steam room and warm jacuzzi in the evening helps me relax and fall asleep more than anything else. Does this cast light on nature of my insomnia?

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hello! Recently after three so so nights, slept completely through my SW which was great but felt very groggy after the good night and this persisted for most of the day. Wondering why – was I maybe in deep sleep when the alarm went? Or, just because I’ve an underlying sleep debt? I’ve always considered myself a morning person, rarely attempting to sleep after 11.30, my SW now is 00.15 to 06.00. Would appreciate your thoughts, Lesotho

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Does going to sleep at the same time everyday and getting up at the same time really help with sleep? Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Wasabi

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

At the end of my sessions with Prof he says he will send me some helpful links. Can you please tell me where on the site I will find them?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

As I have gotten older (30s) I am becoming a lighter sleeper which contributes to my insomnia. I find that I wake up very easily throughout the night. Can I expect to find some relief during the course of this program? Or is this something I do not have control over?

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Graduated, pleased! A question re the restoration of energy levels and connection with sleep duration and efficiency. My SW till today = 5.75 hours, averaging 88%SE. Nonetheless, I still feel quite lacking in energy at times ( do exercise daily). Would love a ten hour sleep ;)! but believe this would throw out the sleep debt/ pressure which promotes consolidated sleep. So, my question really, do energy levels simply gradually increase as the number of consolidated sleeps increases? ie no short cuts! Is the lack of energy to do also with what seems a pretty short SW? Thank you, will definitely be recommending Sleepio. Lesotho

• Sleepio Member

• 30 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Can I be too tired to sleep? I experience extreme fatigue at times, constant yawning, inability to concentrate and lethargy, yet when going to bed can't sleep. What should I do in such instances?

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Greetings all! This is Dr. Adrienne Heinz here. I'm a clinical and research psychologist and i'm looking forward to taking your questions over the next 90 minutes.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Relaxation practices are idiosyncratic and specific to the individual – what works for one person might not be helpful for another. Changes in body temperature cue sleep, but it is usually a drop in body temperature versus a rise. https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/getting-the-right-temperature-for-sleep/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Too much sleep can also lead to feelings of a “sleep hangover.” In addition, our sleep needs can fluctuate depending on the slept debt we carry. I see you are graduate of the program. If your sleep has improved and become more consistent and reliable, you might consider expanding your sleep window depending on your needs. Sleep restriction is a time-limited intervention intended to recalibrate your body clock and break associations between the bed and inability to sleep/stress.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Becoming a lighter sleeper as we age is not uncommon, and our sleep needs and patterns change over time, across the lifespan. This is also common among parents who have been sensitized to wake up to provide care to a child. The program will be helpful in ensuring that you have all the ingredients for an optimal sleep environment (noise, temperature, light, bedding) and will provide skills on how to return to sleep after waking during the night. https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/staying-asleep-during-the-night/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I believe you should be receiving these via email. If not, please content our customer happiness team and they will help you with this matter right away. hello@sleepio.com

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

What you are describing is often discussed anecdotally as being over-tired. More likely, you are experiencing daytime fatigue. See this article for more information and for recommendations on how to proceed. https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/i-feel-sleepy-during-the-day/

Also note that sleepiness and fatigue are different, and having a better understanding of the distinction can help you guide you to the appropriate course of actions for remediating your sleep struggles. https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/sleepiness-fatigue-and-impaired-concentration/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Although routines may not feel glamourous, they are indeed important for good sleep, especially for those who may struggle with sleep. It is generally recommended that you go to bed and wake within about 60-90 minutes of a set time. Of course there will be circumstances in which this is not possible, but maintaining fidelity to routine is a critical sleep hygiene practice.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Congrats on completing the program! You are correct that your sleep window is rather short. It is less than the recommended sleep needs for adults and could be contributing to your fatigue. See also this article from our library. https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/sleepiness-fatigue-and-impaired-concentration/ You might consider modifying your sleep window or introducing a 20-30 minute nap if you sleep has become more consistent and reliable.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Correct – it is sleep quality. If you ever have other questions of this nature – always feel free to contact our customer happiness team at Hello@sleepio.com

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Thanks everyone for your questions today. Looking forward to catching you at future live expert sessions!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

but I believe that if one enters the hot tube and then goes out prior to sleep there will be a larger drop in temperatures and therefore it would make sense to me that if he enters the hot tube the end result is lower temperature and better sleep.

Return to top