Live Discussion with Dr Adrienne Heinz - 17th Oct 2018

Dr Heinz will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 17th October, from 8:30pm to 10:00pm British Summer Time or 3:30pm to 5:00pm US Eastern Daylight Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Heinz will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 11 Oct 2018 at 4:04 PM
  • 5 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

My sleep schedule has gradually changed over the last 6 years from a few nights of going to bed late to now not being able to sleep until 5 or 6 in the morning. Will it be possible to return my sleep schedule back to a more regular sleep pattern of have I damaged my sleep routine permanently?

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Expert

Hello! Dr. Adrienne Heinz here. I'm a clinical and research psychologist and I look forward to answering your questions over the next 90 minutes.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

Ebbs and flows in our sleep are frustrating but common. A return to consistent poor sleep can take the “wind out of our sails.” Cognitive techniques and strategies can be helpful in this regard. For instance, we can consider trying to observe thoughts about our sleep rather than reacting to them or accepting them as the truth. Try to visualize these thoughts coming and going on a train, or pasted on clouds. Notice them, but practice not reacting. You can also explore other cognitive techniques within the CBTi program (session 2 https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/cognitive-techniques-in-depth/) and read here for more information on night-time wakings https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/staying-asleep-during-the-night/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Our sleep patterns are indeed malleable and can be corrected with behavioral interventions such as CBTi. You might consider speaking with a physician to determine is other conditions may be impacting your inability to fall asleep within the windows programmed in our circadian rhythms. https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/what-is-delayed-sleep-phase-disorder/

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Expert

Thanks all for joining today! You can catch future live expert sessions each Wednesday.

Return to top