Live Discussion with Dr Adrienne Heinz - 11th July 2018

Dr Heinz will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 11th July, from 8:00pm to 9:30pm British Summer Time or 3:00pm to 4:30pm US Eastern Daylight Time.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, she may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as she can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Heinz will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 5 Jul 2018 at 3:00 PM
  • 7 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dear Dr. Heinz,

While i follow advise of a couple of the community that it can take months my sleep to get back to normal ESPECIALLY waking up refreshed and reinvigorated. I just completed the course and was allowed to extend my time from the restricted 6 six hours to 7.5 hours me allowing for awakenings and general feeling of tiredness where I had some times in the past week or so overslept.

Are you content I am going in the right direction?

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

.... Further, I am despite increased sleep feel lethargic and not inclined to do anything too energetic. This can be worse following my main meal for the day which is usually mid to late morning.

Mindful of this, when I feel energetic enough I endeavour to get my chores done before my main meal for the day!

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Expert

Greetings Everyone! Dr. Adrienne Heinz here. I'm a clinical research psychologist and I look forward to answering your questions over the next 90 minutes.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Thanks for checking in and sharing your concern here. The input of community members on this matter is in line with what we tend to see clinically. Sleep doesn’t become disrupted or “broken” overnight, and as such, the return to a “normal,” reliable, and consistent sleep schedule and the experience of restorative sleep returns gradually as well. It is common to experience ebbs and flows in sleep quality and efficiency. In the frustrating valleys of your journey to better sleep – it can be helpful to be gentle with oneself and remember that there will also be peaks to come. If however, your sleep consistently starts to deteriorate over the next few weeks – it will be important to return to the strategies we know are effective in recalibrating disrupted sleep (i.e., sleep restriction). Using your sleep diary will help in that regard as you can refer to data versus subjective feelings of tiredness.

Regarding tiredness after meals, lighter meals with fewer carbohydrates may help mitigate the post-meal “haze.”

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello was busy with other matters.

Thank you for your input . With regards to meals I keep carbs to around minimum but, still can feel drowsy having started the day feeling fairly energetic.

• Sleepio Member

• 139 comments
    • 25 helped
    Expert

Thanks folks for joining us for the live session. I look forward to next time. Take good care!

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

No response ??

Schedule says discussion is till 9:30pm!!

Return to top