Jawbone UP

I'm new to Sleepio and am on week one at the moment so I'm just filling in the diary at the moment. I struggle to remember how long it took me to fall asleep and if I wake during the night or not. I've seen the new blog post about the Up wristband. I was wondering how good this sort of technology is? I haven't seen it before and I'm curious to how accurate it is. It's a lot of money to spend if I do decide to get one, especially as I'm really only interested in the sleep part of it.

Posted 17 May 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 76 comments
  • 42 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Caterpillar. Came across 'the thread' by chance this morning. However, I had been very keen to try a tracker as since starting RS, I am finding it even more difficult to fill the sleep diary accurately. An UPMore arrived last Saturday and Sleepio confirmed that we were successfully connected but nothing has magically appeared in the diary! On further investigation, it seems that my Ipad2 is not up to the job. Therefore, I am relieved to read the very mixed reactions on the thread this morning as I resort to 'manual entries'! It doesn't take any time at all but I had hoped for reliable, comprehensive info from the device. Hey ho and thanks for your advice. B

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Blodwen -- (I was out of town and didn't get to see this till today) You can do it with your computer. On your sleep diary page (just above where you indicate the time in bed) you'll see the words Import Up Data along with the little Up logo. Just click that and if your Up app is connected with Sleepio the data will import.
    Caterpillar

• Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Caterpillar. Good to hear from you and thank you for your advice. The UpMove went back. Am so familiar with my IPad, hadn't considered the laptop. Grandson has a tracker on this Iphone but we failed to download an App on my Nokia phone. On enquiring, it would appear the shop set up that facility incorrectly and we will have to wait a month for a correction. At least it wasn't our fault! By the time all this happens, I am hoping that my situation will have improved enough for it not to be needed!!
    I went onto Holiday's profile last night and saw your name. I am slowly learning how to get around and learn from Sleepio programme but am intrigued as to what happens when one 'graduates'. In the meantime, I am managing the SR rather better than many, it would seem. The message seems to be, stick with it. It can be hard but I definitely feel a bit better. Thanks again. B

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I just started using the UP Move yesterday. I find it odd that it reported 5 hours of sound sleep and 4 of light sleep. I don't believe what it is reporting as for those 4 hours I've felt mostly awake. Is it accurate? Usually when filling out the diary manually I only feel that I get 2-4 hours of sound sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Do people find the sleep tracking on the UP3 accurate to their experience of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have just had my first night with the Jawbone UP3 and found this mornings sleep data totally inaccurate compared to my memory of my sleep last night. Either I'm remembering my nights sleep completely wrong as I'm very sure I didn't sleep barely at all or the UP3 sleep tracking is wildly immaculate. Anyone else have any similar accuracy problems with the UP3 sleep monitoring?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I thought it was me that the information didn't seem accurate. Last night it said that I went to sleep 2 1/2 hours than I actually did. I noted the time just before I tried to sleep. Also, my wake up time was an hour earlier than I really awoke. I adjust my times often. I have the UP2. I did have the UP24 and I feel that it was more accurate with sleep and steps. However, this is much more convenient for me to use. Without using a device, I would have no idea on my sleep except what time I turned out the lights.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Thanks for your advice regarding the UP Move. Oddly although I have the UP logo in the correct position it is followed by a statement saying there is no sleep data despite another message saying The UP is connected not only to my PC but also my phone. It matters not whether the UP is on autosync or not; I fear it will be going back!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

So to ensure I get optimum results through accurate recording I bought a Jawbone up3 to connect whilst doing the sleepio course. Its day 2 of having the tracker and honestly speaking it seems to be a nice to have but really the course can be done without it. I paid a big amount for it and I am not entirely certain that it was worth it. It did track my sleep automatically. However last night it seemed to have tracked the time I fell asleep correctly but my awake time was definitely not correct. The tracker said I awoke at 6.28am however I actually awoke at 5.00am.

Honestly it did help with keeping record but I haven't synced it to sleepio because from what I have seen I will have to adjust/check my data every now then to ensure its correct. Its still early days so maybe I will find the tracker more useful as time goes on apart from just the sleep functionality.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi,
    just wondering how people find the deep sleep monitoring on their up3? My deep sleep total for the night is usually between 0-20 minutes? If that's true, then no wonder I'm tired! :) I don't expect it to be accurate as I realise it's only actually measuring decreased movement, but I'm just wondering if my readings are the norm or below average? Last night I slept for 7 hours straight (yay!), but only recorded 5 minutes of deep sleep (huh?!).

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I'm new here and started sleepio yesterday. I've had a jawbone 24 for 2 days now and can hand on heart say the sleep tracking is completely inaccurate.

I've not had one minutes sleep last night yet it's saying I have had over 2 hours deep sleep and 2 light – I don't check the clock when I'm struggling to sleep but for example, the jawbone said I was asleep in 11 mins last night. I have an app on my phone that sends brain waves, it lasts for an hour – I was still wide awake when it switches itself off.

I have suffered from chronic insomnia for 20 years now and was always told not to clock watch, so I'm confused as to how I can update my sleep diary accurately ? And how the course will be able to tailor my sleep course on week two if my data is so incorrect ?

Will the jawbone become more accurate as the days go on? I do sometimes lay very still when I can't sleep but tried to ensure I was moving that arm but yet it still claims I was asleep.

Thanks for any replies

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi,
    I've been using the Up3 so can't vouch for the jawbone 24, but I use it as a helpful tool to help aid my memory and certainly wouldn't rely on it entirely. The Up3 definitely classes my “still awakeness” as sleep, so I use a combination of the jawbone and my memory to help put together a picture the following morning.

For me it can help put the pieces together, such as what time I got into bed (when I turn on the sleep tracker), and what time it was during the night when I got up and went back to bed again as per quarter hour rule (QHR) which is introduced at session 3. It definitely helps me reduce my clock watching, as I get up for QHR if I've been awake for a while and don't feel sleepy, and can do that without looking at the clock knowing the jawbone will detect me getting up.

It can take a little while to get used to using the jawbone and what it's limitations are, but as I said I use it more as a memory aid which I find quite beneficial. I wouldn't recommend syncing the device to your sleep diary as it's too inaccurate. Just use it in combination with your memory and enter what you think is roughly correct. A close estimate should be fine, don't worry too much about trying to get your sleep diary 100% correct.

Good luck with sleepio! Keep posting to the community with any questions, there's a lot of really helpful people with lots to contribute.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Oh that's great to know, thanks so much for your reply. I was reading so many reviews of the jawbone sleep activity monitor that I wondered if it was just me!

I shall take your advice and just use it as a rough guide, I think perhaps the deep sleep is when I am asleep but light sleep is when I'm awake so will use that to help with my diary. Thanks again.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

Em75,
    I've been using the Jawbone UP24 for a couple of years now and it's been a great asset for tracking sleep. I agree with Clara that it's more adjunct support for sleep tracking. I have noticed that it is surprisingly accurate for detecting light and sound sleep, unless I am lying on the arm that holds the band.

What I'll add, is that the wristband has given me insight that there are times I thought I was awake but I was actually asleep. What I've learned through Sleepio is that light sleep is still sleep. It's a strange phenomenon. So, while the band isn't entirely accurate, it is relatively accurate and can be a great asset. I do sync mine to Sleepio because it saves me time with entering data, even if I need to change some of the info. For example, it says it always takes 11 minutes for me to fall asleep, even when I've had it sitting on my night stand.

Caterpillar

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Mine is still ridiculously inaccurate, last night for example it said I fell asleep in 6 mins. I was awake for an hour and half at least and it said I was in a deep sleep at 6 am till 6:45- I heard my husbands alarm going off at 6 and him turning on the shower at 6:15. Still very early days for me, maybe it'll get more accurate.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Mine periodically misses hours of my sleep, usually at the beginning or the end.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Same for me. The data my UP2 uploads has little to do with reality. Sometimes it reports great sleep patterns when my personal experience has been the total opposite. Too much to ask for just a motion detector with no ECG, EEG or other vitals sign inputs. I am taking mine off at night and using it just to track exercise, which it does fairly well.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

My Up3 overestimates my sleep, but besides that it is a good base for how long it takes me to go to sleep. The only time it really messes up is when I wake up in the middle of the night. Most of the time it just doesn't seem to think I'm awake even when I try to make it switch modes. I guess it's better that it isn't sensitive enough than scares me by being too sensitive.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Not much activity here recently so I wanted to add my experience. I couldn't manually track my sleep so I purchased a Jawbone UP3. It combines the typical accelerometer of an activity tracker with heart rate, respiration and Galvanic Skin Response sensors. A few things I've learned with it.

1. It is supposed to identify when are sleeping and enter sleep mode automatically. I found that this does not always work very well, and since I want an accurate daily record of my sleep, I put it in sleep mode and take it out manually each day. I don't find this to be much of a bother and I feel better about its results.

2. All of the metal sensors must be in contact with your arm at all times. This is difficult, particularly if you are not used to wearing something on your wrist at all times. I found that by starting off with it being fairly loose (and losing some accuracy because of it) and tightening the strap every couple of days has allowed me to get the device snug on my wrist without it being uncomfortable.

3. I tried using the smart alarm to wake up, but it doesn't work well when you start the sleep restriction part of the study.

4. Keep the device dry! It is splash resistant but even then, if you get water trapped under the sensors it will suck the battery dry. I have found even after heavy exercise I need to remove the device and dry it and my wrist.

I hope this helps someone. I really like the device and it has given me some insights into my sleep patterns that I would not have known otherwise.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Once I accepted my UP3s limitations it actually became quite useful. It is giving me insights into the various types of sleep I'm getting and highlights when I get out of bed to go to the toilet etc.
    The other interesting thing is the heart rate graphs showing correlations to peeks when I'm stressed.
    Its also showing me via the “steps” function what activity (or lack of) and this is also showing some correlation to effect on sleep and the quality of sleep on energy for activity the following day.

My UP3 was a bit expensive, but I think it will help with both my sleep and activity to enable me to get my weight to a more healthy one.

Return to top