It's dangerous being tired!

When I think about it, I've done a lot of dangerous things over the last few years brought on by tiredness.

Running red lights, leaving doors unlocked, a lot of near misses in the car (always my fault). leaving food on the hob until it's burnt (all the bloody time). Leaving hair-straighteners on…........
Having a 3 and 4 yeard old, it's pretty scary to think of some of the dangers I've accidentally put them in.

Anyone else doing anything stupid and dangerous due to their tiredness?

Posted 30 Oct 2012 at 10:42 AM
  • 11 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hello kara1 not dangerous things but will raise a few smiles I hope, I have made the tea…ok no problem…....THEN put the milk in the cupboard and the sugar in the Fridge!

I did manage to burn a saucepan the other week, can I add if you are so tired please don't drive, not are you only putting yourself at risk you are others and would be in trouble with plod if they found out

take care…this is a great thread….........Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi Andy, I know you shouldn't drive when your tired, but you still have to get to work and attempt to function as if everything is completely fine. If I could have my way, I'd be curled up into a nice comfy duvet for the day. Mmmmmm.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

Hi kara1 I hope if you haven't already found the relaxation downloads you will soon. I have found relaxation to be a crucial part of my sleep solution. A couple of sessions a day help me – not easy when you have young kids. I am wondering if you also have some kind of post viral or chronic fatigue going a long with your insomnia. My insomnia is years old and when I developed post viral fatigue as well I just didn't want to get up but was so frustrated at being so tired and not sleeping. My stupid list is quite long and I my most embarrassing stuff is just simply forgetting things (no don't think it is dementure setting in! ) not very funny really usually stuff my partner tells me – we go between two houses and I say I will pack up the food and get to the other house – food – what food? I wish I could tell you something hilarious maybe I have forgotten the funniest moments.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hello Kara 1 and Goldie
    news on the what have you done on the so tired and dangerous thread, please have the tissues ready this will probably be the funniest thing you have heard today

Right there's andy making a cuppa, thinks to himself the cups need topping up with hot water, picks up the water filter pours in cold water to top the cups up, roars of laughter as they the audience notice in my panic to hide my mistake I try to put the water jug where the kettle sits, more rapturous laughter.

just goes to show you the silly things we do when so tired, and Kara 1 make way for Goldie and me the duvet sounds lovely ;-))
    take care keep posting, love this thread….........Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 24 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

When I did session 2 today I realised one of my biggest worries is how I cope after bad sleep, and specifically that I'd drive dangerously. I might add that I live in Cape Town, where the traffic can be heavy and there are plenty of lawless drivers, and I have to drive in to work 25km every day, no matter how well or badly I slept. A positive outcome of the session was that I realised I have already started to use quite a few coping mechanisms. I monitor myself very closely when I drive. I know when I'm not feeling my best – either sleepy or more irritable than usual. So I compensate by deliberately focusing harder, maybe switching off the radio, and thinking positive thoughts about being a responsible driver. I may choose the slower lane or if I don't feel up to facing the heaviest traffic, I can sometimes avoid the worst of the rush hour by flexing my work hours. Realising all of this made me feel a lot more in control of my behaviour, even when I don't feel great after a bad night.

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

My husband is always putting sugar bowl in fridge, and he sleeps like a log!! I have put an elecric kettle on the gas in the morning when I've been very tired, smeel was awful.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

One tired morning at work I got a tea bag out of my locker and made a cup of tea. Then with keys still in one hand I fished the tea bag out of the cup and proceeded to throw my locker keys in the bin. I stood there for a few confused moments looking at my steaming dripping tea bag on its spoon unable to fathom what it was and why it was there. At least I snapped out of it before I put it in my pocket, thus narrowly avoiding an embarrassing stroll through the office with a damp steaming thigh.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Funny grumpy imp!

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes, this is probably my biggest concern regarding my sleep issues. I live in the northwestern part of the U.S., in a sparsely populated area. Thus even though I'm retired I frequently have to drive long distances. For example my children and grandchildren are 6 1/2 hours away in Portland, Oregon (A delightful city ). Even if I have to drive one hour to buy shoes or clothes, if it's going to be after noon I break my rules. I drink coffee. And I take Ambien the night before. Opening the window and slapping myself in the face just aren't enough. Once I got a ticket for speeding because I didn't see the speed limit sign. Too sleepy. This is bad, and what drove me to seek help.
    I am open to suggestions.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes.

Not sure I want to think about the details, but fear of doing dangerous things is what has driven me here.

Speaking of driving, I'm afraid to do it till I've had some sleep. Wanted to do live CBT, but I'd have to drive about 20 miles through dense suburbs each way to get there. I'm so glad the online option is here.

Return to top