Is Sleepio helping you become a kinder person?

Hi, I've just started the program and it's really nice having the Prof and his computer program to help me, also having a community to make friends in is even better :)

I just wondered if due to the sleep improvements from the program, people have noticed a general increase in any of the following, (relative to before when they had poorer sleep),

- You generally want the people you see around you to be happy/well, and you find it easier to interact benevolently, e.g. to be cheerful/make people smile?

- You feel you want to help people you see who are sad/have problems, and you spontaneously try to find ways/take actions to make people feel better?

- You spontaneously share other peoples happiness, and empathise and rejoice when you notice good things happening to people around you.

- You treat people more equally/fairly and feel calm and balanced when unexpected or unpleasant things happen.

Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 4:32 PM
  • 8 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

Guess this is a research not a member question? I already did mindfulness and compassion practice of a kind and did not find an increase in my compassion, but did find the exponential increase in suffering I was in contact with through Sleepio, compared with in my life and work face to face (I don;t do social media) a worry for a while and it gave rise to some interesting new considerations. I would find myself quite worried about someone I didn;t know and on the other hand had thoughts they may not even be what I was perceiving online. (In other contexts this phenomenon has involved cases of psychological abuse.) I now realise this complexity could be why some people don;t use the community, and use Sleepio individually. I don;t find the online form to be full social contact so have not noticed an increase in my kindness but maybe some of these thoughts relate to your question?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hi Sleepsound, t

hanks for taking the time to comment in the discussion. The question is actually related to my personal mediation practice, which is based a lot around promoting the 4 immeasurable's also called the Brahmavihara's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmavihara

Sorry to hear that the posts in the Sleepio community cause you empathic suffering. It's also my experience that reading people's descriptions of their suffering is hard, as it's really difficult to help them through these forums. To be honest I've had conversations with friends who are involved with psychological counselling and none of them have been able to help their patients through online conversations, as much as with their face-to-face conversations. So don't feel down as even the experts have problems with online contact.

I was just wondering if you've noticed an increase in kindness you feel and express to others in your face-to-face life?

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Ajay, I didn;t know of the Brahmaviharas, thanks. Looking them up, those are exactly what I have hoped to increase through Nonviolent Communication and Focusing which I've been practising for some years. They are both consistent with each other and with Buddhist attitudes and many Buddhists use them on top of Buddhist practice. So in answer to your question I'm not aware of Sleepio increasing my compassion or kindness in addition to that but suppose we can;t tell where change comes from. I am kinder than a decade ago! Do you attribute any increase in kindness in you to doing Sleepio?

• Sleepio Member

• 31 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Since starting Sleepio and, specifically, sleeping better, I have definitely had a better, more patient attitude. While I always tried to be my happy normal self with insomnia, having quality sleep makes it easier to be yourself. With more sleep…quality sleep I am a happier person in general. Good luck with the program…it is not easy, but it is worth the hard work!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say YES and thank you Sleepio & community. Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

No, Sleepio is not making me a kinder person.
    However fatigue and sleep problems do make me infinitely nastier to others and less fun to be with than I usually am.

• Sleepio Member

• 250 comments
    • 77 helped
    Graduate

I was scared of not being able to sleep which made me a little impatient with my family, but since I have recovered from insomnia and sleep every night I definitely have more energy and can cope better with whatever life throws at me.

I think sleepio is brilliant and I personally needed the community to help me along and I am really grateful to the sleepios that helped me. I Had never done any social media before, but I am glad I did with the community as they were a great help to me especially with encouragement to continue with the course, which seemed to take its time working on me!

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

A kinder person is not even the half of it. I really could not respond to this question when it was first asked. I was always on edge, trying to power nap for 10 mins all day long, cranky, snappy with my kids and irritated towards my husband.

Its been a long journey doing this sleep study. I am learning techniques to help relax me, sticking to the schedule as much as possible on here, and the relax after each breath out really helps.

I am going to have to admit the relaxation audio download has helped me to fall asleep within the first 15 minutes each night! So, am I a kinder person? I would like to think so. I am more active with my children and not resentful of them wanting more of my time. I have more energy at work.

Return to top