Is it worth addressing insomnia when you KNOW it's stress pure?

I've reverted back to terrible insomnia in the last 8 weeks as I'm really struggling with a newish job (9 months in), am not delivering and will get found out and probably lose the job – it's certainly pretty unbearable. I feel I've blagged it this far and really don't know what I'll do. I have a young family and fortunately not a massive mortgage but simply don't know how I'll make any money so am like a rabbit in the headlights. A friend in a similar position took his life years ago, so that's rarely out of my mind.

I started waking at 5am, then 3am now 1am. Last night I went to bed at 11am, woke at midnight, took half a Zopiclone. Woke at 3am. In desperation I took another half but didn;t go back to sleep. Desperate. Not taken more than 2 halfs a week for last 6 weeks or so.

Deep down I know I need to get on top of or out of th ejob for my own sake. Yesterday I had tremors under my left eye and by end of day most of my left cheek was numb. My chest feels quite tight. Will I have a heart attak before i get sorted out?

Is it really worth addressing the insomnia with Sleepio when I know it's work/life pressure making me stressed making me sleepless. So easy to write it down, impossible to break the log jam.

Is it OK to be using Zopiclone everyonce in a while to try to get a good night's sleep?

Posted 21 Jun 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 15 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nicky, you sound in a bad way poor thing. Have you seen your GP because I think that might be a good idea. I don't know anything about Zopiclone but I'm sure there are others on here who do and have/are using it so someone will probably get back to you on that. I do the mindfulness meditation and find it very useful so I hope it helps you once you get into it. I'm surprised no-one from sleepio got back to you because they are usually pretty good. Why don't you post a question on the Live discussion page and go along tonight and join in? Dr Kyle may be able to advise. It sounds as though the course would help you. The anxiety-insomnia cycle CAN be broken and your feelings about not coping with the job may well be a result of the insomnia rather than the other way round. Hope you get some more help from others.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nicky,
    Please don't worry too much about taking the sleeping tablets whilst on the course, I still do occasionally just to get back into a healthy sleep regime, however as you probably already know they are for short time use and can lead to whats called rebound insomnia. rebound insomnia occurs when you take too many tablets over a period of time and they have the reverse effect of what they are supposed to do.

OK onto your health related problem re; heart attack I feel it would be a good idea just to talk to your GP and present him with your symptoms, As someone with Heart problems myself I always err on the side of caution, the tightness of your chest could be down to anxiety however for your piece of mind please see you GP.
    The tremors as far as I know are not part of heart problems , I suffer with tremors in my hands and feet and are not heart related, sounds to me to be stress related.again well worth talking to your Doctor

I know you haven't started the course yet but it may well be worth starting once you get your health issues sorted, there are plenty of folks on here similar to yourself some have had insomnia for years and are now in such a good place, the members here are fantastic , very supportive and the experts are pretty good too
    take heart that we are here for you OK…All the best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nicky welcome to Sleepio. All I want to say is I completely agree with nightjar's and andymoir;s comments. Make a list of all your issues and then you'll remember them when you see your gp. The gp is your 1st line of action, so go as soon as you can All the very best.

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nicky – I think your insomnia is definitely due to your stress at work. Is this a new job with a new company or just a new role. I work in Occupational Health and I think you need to address the work issue. Do you have an Occupational Health department? If so then I would suggest you see them. If you self refer then everything is completely confidential and they can guide you through how best to approach your work situation.

Stress can manifest itself in mental and physical conditions and I think a lot of your physical symptoms are definitely caused by stress. I would see your GP. The result of this could be of benefit to you. He may sign you off work due to work related stress in which case your employers have to deal with this and would be a way for you to address the issues you are having. Alternatively if you don't want to be signed off work, do you have a line manager who you can confide in?

I think the course would help however you do need to get the work issues addressed or you will keep worrying.

Keep posting on here as we are all here to help and let us know how you are getting on.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

Hi NickyC – another thought to add to those of my Sleepio friends above. Simply that the programme although aimed at insomnia is a holistic one which means looking at the extent to which we relax, control our minds and care for ourselves during the day and when we get into bed or wake during the night. So I think there is a lot in it that would help you. Yes you will have to sort out the job situation and life will go on bringing you challenges and stresses that may affect your sleep. Being on the programme here could give you a community of support around you.

Could be the old chestnut chicken or egg – don't know which comes first. Improving your sleep might give you the energy, calmness and confidence to deal with the work. Equally if you get out of the work situation or resolve it your sleep may be wonderfully good again. Whatever you decide to do about the work and the sleep keep posting here and elsewhere while you are signed up for the programme and there will be support for you. I have found enormous support here and have changed a lot of my ways of looking after myself and my sleep had improved beyond all recognition and I am able to deal with work situations so much better. Hope this helps. Keep in touch.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 4

After I brain dumped last week I managed to get on top of a few work objectives and managed to get some sleep to the extent I slept to 7am sat and Sunday and had a pretty good weekend. Then Monday morning and the anxiety levels rose again and 'pop' – half a zopiclone at 3am today to help me face the day.

Just logged back onto Sleepio and blown away by the responses to my post and everyone's effort. I thought I'd get an alert to my email. Thanks so much.

It's definitely a work thang. Mid life crisis. Theres no denying it, I've blagged it this far in marketing and am running out of energy to keep blagging it. The answer lies in a career/life change if I can drag myself and my family through one.

Back to my question, I'm sure sleeping techniques and a holistic approach to life and its challenges can help me, but they're all elastoplasts on an open wound that I need to address, and therein lies my challenge!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

NickyC,
    You are in a really awkward position here. Marketing is not necessarily an easy job at the best of times. Can you discuss this with your wife or a close friend/minister? If not see if your GP can offer a counseling service.

You are very smart to recognize the health risks and problems your anxieties could be creating. I hope you can find a good solution to your situation. The fact that you are looking at your friend’s suicide again suggests that your body is shouting at you to take action. It may be that temporary use of an SSRI will lower your anxiety and allow you to re-find your marketing talents in the same job. First phone call: Your GP. Please!

You are right to address your sleep with all the relaxation and putting the day to bed techniques you can use with Sleepio. With help form your GP you could be back sleeping again soon.

I would guess that your sleep will sort itself out as you take back control of your working life.

All this is proportionate. Your worry is a much bigger one, but…I’m retired but at college and the homework demands for two classes I’ve realized that I can’t manage to do well.. My sleep is not good when I am worried about that. So only one class this next year. And that is a and will be a really hard choice for me.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 23 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Graduate

Hi Nicky, I've been away so only just seen your posts and replies. This is my personal offering as a retired counsellor: you seem to be at the top of the stress “ladder” and it's no longer possible to ignore the warning signs which are now quite severe. Including the fact that your mind and body are so desperate they will keep you awake till you listen to them. At some level you probably know the answers to their questions, and certainly have all the resources and courage you need to deal with the situation – but I fully appreciate the scariness of it all and hope that you can draw on the support of others as you tackle this.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for this nocturne. Your professional advice is really important. I do hope that Nicky can manage his problems soon. I can't image many scarier situations to be in.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

lots of good stuff here – I have left you a post on your profile – easy does it today NickyC

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 4

Thanks everyone for the posts. I'm hanging in here. Not had a proper nights sleep for weeks now and using too much Zopiclone for my liking, but only half a tab at a time. But sometimes 2 halves a night, three nights in a row, but only when I really need a good day at work or in life (wife's birthday!)

Had a blood test today and seeing dr in a week to see how that looks and to tell him how I've been. Have an interview which may come to something – a chance to start again in another, hopefully less stressful, job.

My question to Seepio is to post more information on Zopiclone, etc and what dangerous, regular use looks like, etc. I think it's probably saved my life giving me a respite here and there but I'd have appreciated some guidance and help as to its use.

I had initial problems using sleepio and had my account reset so once I've finished my mindfulness course I'll start it and join you guys in th eland of nod!

Cheers…

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Good to hear from you again NickC, good luck with blood test and the interview, thinking of you, keep us posted.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nick

I have some info on Zopiclone and help you find it helpful, my GP said of all the Z meds Zopiclone is one of the safest, they are safe to take for a few days to get you back into a good routine.

There is some “speculation” that these Z meds can be addictive, however I have taken Zopis for ages now and have been able to come off them with no withdrawal symptoms.

with all sleeping tablets there is a chance of what they call rebound insomnia, so something to be aware of

I always find its best to google and research any info on any drugs I have too take

All the very best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Yes, I believe you should still address your insomnia no matter what has started it. If mine comes back, I would redo the course to get back on track. I do no think the occasional use of a sleeping tablet will derail you. It sounds more like you need something to control your anxiety. Maybe seeding your GO would be a good idea if your are extremely stressed out because it isn't' t good for your health and will just create more issues. This course has taught me to live one day at a time. That was a difficult lesson for me to learn. I let anxiety and stress run my life for years, but no more. You can only do so much. I have learned that life will happen the way it is going to no matter what, so deal with it when it happens and don't spend your time worrying about it ahead of time. Live in the moment. I hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Diemonds, think I should just point out to you that this discussion thread has not been posted to since July 2012 ?(apart from yours last night). It's easy to fall into this trap. What a shame, yours was a such good reply.

Return to top