Introduction to CBT - live discussion 3rd June

Dr Creanor will be hosting a special live online discussion, focused on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which Sleepio is based on, here on Tuesday, 3rd June.

The discussion will kick off at 8:15pm BST / 3.15pm EDT.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 2 Jun 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 49 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

I don't thanks, am I only person on line? seems like it.

• Sleepio Member

• 112 comments
    • 20 helped
    Graduate

I agree with racing hearts post… Every day it seems there is new research about how lack of sleep causes all sorts of illness. It's like they,ve only just discovered this and now everyone's jumping on the band wagon… But for us insomniacs who are not loosing sleep through choice it's really difficult to not aknowledge this when negative thoughts creep up. I understand hoe you have to counter thoughts with positive ones but sometimes it feels a bit like saying….. well there are smokers who never got lung cancer…. And you can choose not to smoke. However we don't choose not to sleep. So it can be heard to counteract strong thoughts when bombarded by new research.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

I think some people prefer to observe the chats sometimes so perhaps not alone, maybe everyone feels comfortable with CBT, which is a good thing.

• Sleepio Member

• 112 comments
    • 20 helped
    Graduate

Is there any other way of changing thoughts that may cause anxiety…. Is it just the thought checker?

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

I agree, mackaydesign. It is a particularly hot topic just now, which is hard to avoid if it does make you anxious. It is also the case that, as an insomniac, you will automatically tune in to such research, as you are more tuned into anything sleep-related.

It is worth remembering that you are doing something positive about your sleep in doing this programme. Also, you could use the fact that CBT has a high rate of success and is the gold standard for insomnia, which is a big positive.

There is also the idea of mindfulness – this may help you here, if you feel bombarded by constant new research about sleep and health. Look at the part of the programme on this again – it may help to simply be aware of these thoughts, then imagine them drifting away again. Being mindful of them, but not letting them in as much. Easy to say, difficult to master, but have a look at that part of the course. It may help.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

I think I just answered this above – have a look at the mindfulness – not so much a challenging of thoughts directly, but a process that, in itself, can challenge how thoughts affect us.

• Sleepio Member

• 112 comments
    • 20 helped
    Graduate

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

No problem – I hope that technique helps. It's a bit of trial and error with many things to see what fits you best. Hope that helps you, mackaydesign.

• Sleepio Member

• 112 comments
    • 20 helped
    Graduate

Sorry meant to say… thanks, Thought checker is the one part of the course I just don't get or doesn't seem to work for me… But I,ll go back over it after your replies and try what you've suggested. Cheers

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

sometimes the timing is what's tricky – I have found with some people I have worked with, the technique is successful when they approach it once anxiety has settled a bit. Might be worth trying relaxing activities first – or distraction – then approaching the thought checker again. Failing that, you could try challenging other thoughts first, before the trickier ones that do not seem to budge. The idea behind this is that you get yourself into the way of challenging thoughts generally, become more confident about doing this, start a flow of more positive thinking and then attempt the thoughts that make you instantly anxious.

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

We have about 10 mins left of tonight's session so if anyone has any burning questions, let me know…

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Not for me thanks, good night everyone… and you Dr .

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining me tonight, theresa, and for your comments.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

awful find these chats of use even if i don't have any questions, the answers to others' questions are helpful!

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

that should have been ALWAYS not awful!

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

ah that's OK then :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1426 comments
    • 247 helped
    Expert

Thanks for the comments today – see you again soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

thanks, good night

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Apologies Dr. Vicki C, for not keeping up with yesterday evenings discussion. Took a rather important and lengthy telephone call which took president. (Family matter).

Thank you for your reply.

Interesting also to read, this morning, your comments on the 'reading in bed' issue. This topic comes up quite a few times in general discussion and to me is something of a relief that the value of this is questionable amongst CBT clinicians. (But may just be okay if light and relaxing).

Do hope this apology gets back to you, hopefully with the help of the 'Sleepio Team'

Many thanks …......... BerylM

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 252 helped
    Graduate

I remember reading a particularly helpful explanation of the reasons for restricting reading at bedtime, even more than things like TV. It was a discussion about active and passive mental activity; watching TV is passive, because all the hard work of imaging has been done for you, whereas with reading you have to do all that for yourself, so it excites the brain much more and demands a great deal of visualising and imagining, so it's harder to switch off. It helped my understanding, and helped me to reisist the pull of reading in bed which I used to do every night!

Return to top