• 27 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone,
    I'm on week 5 of sleepio. I'm doing quite a progress (I've had reduce medication and increased sleep efficiency mostly over 90%) but there's one problem left. If I'm not able to fall asleep I should get up after a quarter of an hour. The problem is I'm not really realizing that I'm still awake for a long time. So I'm not sleeping (completely tired during the day) till for example 2 am but I'm not that awake to realize to get out of bed. Therefore I'm lying in bed sleepy and half-asleep but not able to fall in deep sleep. Has anyone made the same experiences and has some recommendations for me? Thanks a lot…

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I asked about this when I started as I had the same experience. One of the docs told me that the sensation of 'almost' being asleep is very common, and that if I was fully awake I would be able to get out of bed. Interestingly, once I'd stopped worrying about it, the problem went away almost completely…

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

hi katecelyn, thanks for your response. so do you think you are still awake for that time or do you sleep but wake up and then have the feeling of being awake?
    hope you're doing progress with sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 337 comments
    • 38 helped
    Graduate

I, too, wonder at what stage I need to get out of bed as, fortunately, I am usually half asleep or at least very sleep rather than full on wide awake. |I also wondered if I'm allowed to listen to the radio in bed in this state? It stops my mind racing or starting to worry about stuff

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 4

What has helped me cope with the boredom of waiting for bedtime has been doing something mildly physical where I am on my feet. My best solution has to build a big fire out behind the house and stand around tending it. It keeps me warm and busy. I'm lucky in that I cut down several large trees recently and need to get the wood burned up anyway. If I try reading or watching TV I am out like a light!

• Sleepio Member

• 279 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I've just done my first night of SR. Like other posters, I struggled to keep awake between 10.30 and 12, then got more and more awake by my bedtime of 1.00. Went to bed, but didn't get to sleep. I know I should have got up again, but I thought I would go to sleep any minute. Then I was awake a good half hour before my wake up time of 6, and I did get up 15 minutes before that. I got up and did Tai Chi for 20 minutes. I feel OK this morning, but only had two and a half hours sleep. I also got a jigsaw at a charity shop, but it's really difficult, and I'm thinking I should get an easier one! I've also got an audio book which I listened to last evening, and that worked really well, because my eyes didn't get tired.

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

My suggestion would be that if you are not really sure that you are awake then you are probably in the 1st stage of sleep and should stay asleep. I had asked an expert about listening to the radio in bed a while ago. They said that as long as the radio is relaxing for you and making you sleepy then it is okay. It should be on a timer though so that it doesn't wake you up later on. If it works for you, especially after you have graduated then it's okay. Good luck and good sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

I love your physical activity of building a fire. What a lovely way to pass the time before bed. I love a good bonfire. Whatever works for you is great! It sounds like you have a great attitude towards the course. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

Hi Lindos. It sounds like you are finding things that work for you. That is great! I used to do jig-saw puzzles too. I looked for and found some easy 100 piece ones that I could do in one night without too much frustration. Finding what will keep you awake is half the battle. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I really can't stay awake in the evenings. Last night I slept for 2hr on the sofa (at 8pm) and my husband said he kept shoogling my knee but just couldn't wake me up. I had no idea head watched an entire film. Then I couldn't sleep again til 4.30am. How can I stop that? The evening before, I actually woke up from a micro-sleep with my eyes moving really rapidly, it was pretty terrifying. Has anyone else had this?

• Sleepio Member

• 246 comments
    • 93 helped
    Graduate

Hi Cyclist. I also can have a hard time staying awake while watching a program or movie on T.V. especially if I am really tired. Maybe try and do something else in the evening instead of watching T.V. Maybe go for a walk, read a book, jigsaw puzzles, that project that never gets done etc….Good luck with the program and keep in touch.

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi Cyclist. I found it hard to make myself stay awake when I so longed to sleep. The good news is that it shows you have a great sleep drive, and this programme will help your mind and body channel it into the right time and place. Meantime you have to go against your nature( but only temporarily) and find ways to stay awake. I found it best to stay off the sofa. If I watched TV I would sit on an upright chair. I needed to be doing something with my hands not just passive entertainment. So jigsaws, sorting photos, writing, nothing too demanding. I'm sure you can do it. X

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thank you. That is a good idea. Not actually jigsaws but doing something with my hands… My bike will be sparkly clean after all the polishing I lavished on it tonight!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I find going for walks outside while listening to audiobooks is very helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 248 helped
    Graduate

I can sympathise; tv is like a sleep drug for me, even if I want to watch a programme I find it hard to stay awake. I have to get up and walk round the house aimlessly, or get a little drink of water, load the washing machine, check emails….really anything that gets me off the sofa and moving around for a few minutes at a time.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 339 helped
    Graduate

Hi Cyclist,
    One thing that keeps me awake when I watch TV is crocheting. Or doing things on my ipad at the same time, which I wouldn't recommend – the light from both the TV and the ipad is probably not good, even though the brightness is turned down. Note to self: stop two-timing with the techhy stuff!
    If doing something with your hands doesn't work, then for sure get off the couch and sit somewhere else or keep taking small breaks.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Lindos, I'm on session 4 now. I am finding it difficult to know what to do to wind down. After reading your comment about Audio Books I think I would really enjoy listening to one. Thank you so much.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

That is something I sometimes have- but you actually might be in a light sleep and not realize it. Try to read before bed or stay up another 10-15 minutes till you feel like you can't keep your eyes open. It helps me a lot.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I start with more active relaxing like reading, then when starting to fall asleep get up & have a long hot shower, cuppa herbal tea, pamper products eg moisturiser, I have a massage cushion thingamee a friend gave me… Don't normally find time to use it but now I have this extra chunk of time dedicated to “relaxing”. Seems better when I see it as a 'bonus' time. Kinda wish I knew tai chi or some gentle stretching routine… Can't fall asleep when you're standing or moving hehe

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

I'm also having trouble staying awake in the evening. That is until I go to bed, then I have no trouble at all in staying awake ha, ha.

Return to top