How do you cope in the day-time?

We see a lot about lack of sleep, but not so much on the effects this has on our every day waking lives. It seems this is the crunch-line in fact – How do you cope on little or no sleep? Any strategies for keeping going?

Posted 30 Nov 2011 at 3:16 PM
  • 193 comments
  • 134 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, Jacquie, I would like a question to ask when first you started sleepoi, you said it worked for you, how many horses were yo sleeping that time, I like to think if it worked for you it might work for me, I really appreciate to answer me and help me It is worth trying it
    thanks
    Regards
    Reza

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 1

Hi Reza,

I just thought I'd add that Mirtazapine is more sedating at lower doses, the dosage you mention above (30 to 45mg) is quite high.

At higher doses it can be quite activating, at lower doses it is very sedating e.g 15mg or 7.5mg.

I hope you get some relief soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 1

P.S. I'm not suggesting you change the dosage yourself, but I do think it's worth mentioning it to whoever prescribed the Mirtazapine.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I ve just started week 3 and had my first night of restrictive sleep but had no sleep at all. Now I'm exhausted and need to get to work which will be struggle. Beginning to feel desperate. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Reza, how did it all work out? I notice your last post was in December last year.

I know exactly what you mean about being too tired to get up when the alarm goes off during SR. A few days ago, I got up at 5am (my SR window was 10.30 to 5.00) and dozed off leaning against a wall while the kettle was boiling. Obviously, that only lasted a second as I started sliding down the wall and woke up. It makes for a funny story to tell now, but it felt bitterly cruel at the time.

I find that putting an alarm somewhere out of reach, is the only way to get out of bed as you *have *to get up to turn it off – it's really important not to go back to sleep.

At stupid-o'clock in the morning I don't put any pressure on myself to do anything other than:

a) make a strong cup of coffee
    b) have something nice to do while I'm drinking it so I don't doze off again

Did you manage to 'follow the rules' and work through it?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Lori

I have found it helpful to stop watching tv 45 mins before going to bed and doing a large jig saw – it is a relaxing activity and one you do not fall asleep doing

Sarah

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have found turning off the TV an hour before going to bed is better for me.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi

Just curious you say you could sleep 8-10 hours before taking pills then how come you went to the doctors with sleeping problems?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have found the same. I never used to do jigsaws but now I find a 500 one enjoyable and relaxing. Even 200 ones can be challenging depending on the picture. My grandchildren got me into it. I want to fall asleep when I watch the tv too late and it can sometimes be too stimulating. I am struggling some days with the sleep restriction as I wake sometimes after an hours sleep. I sometimes go to work feeling as if I have run over by a bus! Having said that my restorative sleep I think has improved and only have one or two very bad nights rather than all the time. I have a friend who I have told her about this in case Im grumpy and she encourages me when I feel like giving up. My sleep pal I recommend one for encouragement. My husband lovely as he is (except his snoring) does not understand as he sleeps anywhere well.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I feel tired, irritable and have headaches in the daytime, and this has got much worse since starting Sleepio.
    I find the following help a bit: – take paracetamol at the first sign of a headache, stick to the daily dose and save a dose for late evening – it's tempting to have extra snacks, so I try to have fruit, dried fruit or rice cakes – a few times during the day, stand up and do a few stretches and deep breathing to get the oxygen round the body, including a walk outside if possible, or stretch near an open window – I am avoiding challenging conversations at the moment – sitting and just listening to music in the afternoon but not going off to sleep.
    Hope this helps others as well. Any other practical ideas to get through the day?

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I've just done my first night of restrictive sleeping and I feel dreadful. My sleep window is 1 am to 6.30 am. It felt really ridiculous staying up so late watching T.V. and then I couldn't sleep when I got into bed. I awoke at 5.30 and got up soon after. I'm 73, have ADHD and an auto immune problem and I'm worried such a short time in bed is going to make me ill. Normally, I just lay in bed in the mornings with my eyes closed sometimes till 11 a.m. Does anyone know if it's possible to achieve good results by approaching the Sleepio programme more gently? I'm only doing it because I'm wasting so much of my life in bed and want to be able to get up at a reasonable time and enjoy my days. I've had poor sleep and anxiety all my life but don't want to take medication for it as I was once hooked on Valium which I successfully came off years ago. Nobody seems to know much about helping adults with ADHD.
    Any advice about doing the Sleepio programme slower would be most welcome. I'd planned to visit my son this Sunday now that lockdown is over but I can't see myself being fit to drive if I feel like this.
    Ros

• Sleepio Member

• 59 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

Watching TV late at night keeps me up. I now stop all TV and streaming two hours before bed. If that sounds too drastic, start with 1/2 hour. I will listen to podcasts after my screen cut-off time.

The weekly experts repeatedly tell people who are having difficulties that this is a self-help program and there are options. Please see my other reply to you in the other thread. Sleep compression is a good thing to try since you’re spending too much time in bed. You can gradually reduce this, instead of doing sleep restriction.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Nicola as it happened I did just that last night and had a good night's sleep! I attended a support group for people with ADHD and they thought the sleep restriction may be designed for Neuro Typical people and not people like me. Sleep restriction seemed to increase my anxiety although after one night of it I did sleep well so who knows? I think the important thing for me is to get out of bed at the same time each morning and slowly build up my sleeping time by sleep compression. Thanks a lot for your post it's encouraged me to keep going at my own pace.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have just started the sleepio programme (I'm in week 1). I am in my early 60s not currently working and have a 40 year history of insomnia. The insomnia has taken a turn for the worse in the last fortnight – i manage 3-4 hours/night of sleep. I feel so unwell on this amount of sleep that i am cancelling social life and feel even going to the shops is a challenge as i experience feelings of my balance being wrong and faintness. It's quite scary. Losing my confidence for ordinary living. Not sure if sleepio is appropriate as the sleep restriction – once i get to that stage – might be too difficult. No point going to the GP as they just prescribe sleeping pills.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am 63 and really struggling. I am so tired at night i feel that I can hardly stand up and my balance is off – quite frightening. Yet when I go to bed, I may sleep for as little as 30 minutes all night. I get up but I don't feel sleepy. I feel as if I am way past the stage of getting sleepy. I have always suffered from poor sleep but the last 6 weeks there's been a step change for the worse. I feel it is a very destructive thing. I cannot adopt the positive thinking recommended by the Prof as I know that i will be ill and non-functional on under 3 hours' sleep. I am guessing it is worse given my age – combined with a decades long history of poor sleep. My mind and body are just shot.

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Hi Beaver2,
    It is really hard when you are incredibly tired but sleep won't come. I too, like you, suffered from poor sleep for decades. There were days where I couldn't cope and was worried for my wellbeing – especially having to drive to work. However I don't feel like that anymore.

If you can I really would work on the thought checker – it's not so much about having positive thoughts but about challenging the negative thoughts that have got us into an unhelpful way of thinking. Even if you don't “believe” in it the very act of writing things down can help change. You can gently challenge the thought 'I can't adopt the positive thinking…as I know I will be ill and non functioning”. You have coped over the decades so try to let go of that certainty and try to turn that thought round. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose!
    Jarabia :)

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Beaver2,
    I am close to your age at 62 and have struggled with sleep for decade also. I found Jarabia suggestion hopefull. I’m going to give it a try. Good luck to you. Hang in there.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jarabia,
    Thank you for your suggestion to Baver2 about keeping a thought checker. I’m going to give that a try, and not just for sleep. I’ve recently returned to work and I’m finding myself slipping into negative thought patterns.
    Burney

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your helpful comment Jarabia. I will persevere with efforts to challenge negative thinking. Much appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Burney. It's helpful to know that others in my age group are grappling with these issues and determined to improve sleep.

Return to top