How do you cope in the day-time?

We see a lot about lack of sleep, but not so much on the effects this has on our every day waking lives. It seems this is the crunch-line in fact – How do you cope on little or no sleep? Any strategies for keeping going?

Posted 30 Nov 2011 at 3:16 PM
  • 113 comments
  • 91 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I used to be so groggy during the day. Since I started the Sleepio program I can think clearly and have energy. I never realized how many times I woke up during a night. Took about 2 weeks in the program.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi. I'm just coming up to the end of week 4. Like you I find it really difficult not to fall asleep in the evening, especially if I am reading or watching TV. The only thing I find is getting up and moving around or doing an adult colouring or some other fairly mindless task – anything that stops me falling asleep before I should because that really does affect my night's sleep.
    I do find the SR hard – the hardest being the staying up much later than I have ever done on a regular basis. Getting up early I've not usually found a problem but I am struggling a bit now. However I'm going to stick with it as I am sleeping for longer chunks for some of the time and I see this as a positive, even though I am not yet benefitting by feeling more awake and refreshed during the day.
    Good luck. I do find reading and responding to how others are getting on very helpful so thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Fresh air. Ideally an hour at least walking or sitting in the forest or at the beach, but even a few minutes on break at work helps me.

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone, I've just started Sleepio and feeling very despondent this morning after a very bad night. I've been practising sleep restriction for a while now, though not as rigorously as I know I need to, hence joining Sleepio.

I was doing a bit better last week – less anxious about going to bed, getting a fairly safe 3 or 4 hours sleep.

Yesterday I did a pilates class and swam during the day, and was falling asleep infront of the tv by 11pm. To force myself to stay up I got up and cleaned the kitchen and baked. Went to bed at 1am and was awake most of the night.

I feel absolutely dreadful this morning and worried about getting through the day without yelling at my daughter Feeling very grumpy, irritable, physically shattered, very sad, heart racing. Lots to do and not sure how I'll cope. Thought it might help to reach out to the community. Please send me positive vibes!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

How do I cope with not being able to find a job when every other day I hear about someone or their child finding a job.

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I am on Week 3 and struggling badly with daytime sleepiness. To be honest it's infinitely preferable to the 'permanently wired' state I was in a month or so ago, but it's proving very difficult to concentrate on work.

I'm on 15 mg Mirtazapine for anxiety, and those of you familiar with the drug will know that it can have a sedative effect. I take it at night and while I'm not sure it does sedate me at all, I'm wondering whether this excessive sleepiness during the day is not just because of sleep restriction (I am getting an average of 4 hours sleep, so could be worse), but also Mirtazapine side effects?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hot yoga saves me when I have my worst of days. Deep stretching in the heat invigorates your body and brain. It's my “go to”. Infrared heat is wonderfully therapeutic.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I started Sleepio about 3 weeks ago. My sleep hygiene was seriously lacking and I've improved this now. I'm on SR but it's manageable. I've taken Zopiclone for about 10 years and am now reducing the doses & hoping to sleep without medication eventually. I use PR and imagery techniques to get to sleep and when I wake up in the night. My sleep has began to improve and I'm hopeful and positive for the first time in many years that I'm getting to he stage where going to bed and getting some sleep isn't a dread. This problem has had a major impact on my life and I'm so pleased that I'm doing something positive to address this. I urge anyone starting the course to stick with it!

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have to be very strict with myself to keep busy and active during the day. When I'm tired I relax by sitting down read or do some simple task but try not to sleep. I try to take in as much sun and daylight as possible and get fresh air. Keep away from caffeine from 3pm onwards. Try to keep positive!

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I can fully relate to you. Do you work from home or an office? When I feel like this I have to mentally tell myself “you will survive” and try to get through the day. You may not have time, but I find soaking in a very hot tub with Epson salts relieves the achy, exhausted feeling. I cannot tell you how many days the last year I've felt like you. It's hard because I don't share this with people at work as they just cannot related. Then they tell me to take melatonin or something else that doesn't work for me. I wish you luck, but stretching, fresh air will help a bit.

• Sleepio Member

• 231 comments
    • 82 helped
    Graduate

I was on a lower dosage of Mirtazapine and had it combined w/klonopin and for about a month it knocked me straight out and then quickly lost potency – however, I did feel extremely hung over the next day and found it hard to wake up until mid-afternoon, despite getting enough sleep on that combination.
    fyi…mirtazapine is also used as an anti-depressant and appetite stimulant.

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi all,
    What do you do when you are so so tired that you can't even spell properly and can't tackle reading and searching for posts.?
    Anna x

• Sleepio Member

• 101 comments
    • 23 helped
    Graduate

Hi Anna
    Is this during the day? What I did was go out for a 30-45 minute walk as it didn't require much brain power!! Just one foot in front of the other :-)
    When I got back home my head was a lot less fuzzy and I was able to concentrate better.

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Rosie,
    Yes day and evening , I go walking but it doesn't refresh me for long ,just trying to type on the net is a real struggle, my eyes are wanting to close now but not enough to make me go to sleep.
    Anna

• Sleepio Member

• 101 comments
    • 23 helped
    Graduate

Hi Anna

Found myself CHOOSING to dust and hoover the other afternoon as I was in real danger of falling asleep!!! Now that's something that usually only gets done when I can't bear looking at the dust any longer!!! I'd much rather find more interesting things to do than clean – it just gets dusty so quickly again it doesn't seem worth the effort! (I'm not house proud I'm afraid) Sadly, I wasn't capable of doing anything else at the time :-(

If it's any consolation the terrible tiredness / sleepiness will pass :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Well good for you, your house has benefitted .
    Well very sleepy now so going a walk.
    My account expires by tomorrow so chat with you again in a while. All the best.
    Anna x

• Sleepio Member

• 49 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

When the Prof first talked about this earlier on in the course, I didnt get it.now in session 5 I still dont get it. It's the analogy of not getting any sleep, well I do feel awful some days and it does effect me and I can pretend it doesnt. And this conflicts with who I am as Im a positive person, who has faith and will try . Im working so hard at this course, but I need to believe. To be honest this feel like Im being fobbed off, Ive not proceeded further with Session 5 as I now have a mental block.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi All

I've just signed up to sleepio after many years of terrible sleep and more recently major problems staying asleep overnight. I am a busy healthcare professional and often lie awake worrying about the impact that my poor sleep might have on my practice in the daytime. Can anyone else share any experiences as a medical professional?

Thank you.

filou

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 32 helped
    Graduate

Hello Filou and welcome to the Sleepio community. I can understand your concerns (I am a retired healthcare professional) and throughout this course you will be given tools by the prof each week which will help you with this. The first two weeks are just so prof can get an idea of how much sleep you are getting then by week 3 the hard work starts but also the benefits start to show. Just bear with it for the first couple of weeks as you may feel nothing much is happening but you will be given the tools you need at the appropriate time. Prior to starting this course (I am on week 9 now) I would lie awake for hours worrying about anything or nothing and things seemed to get all out of proportion in the middle of the night. Now I sleep well and if I wake I get back to sleep within minutes. I've managed this through practicing a good wind-down technique and trying out all the other suggestions that you will get in weeks 3,4 and 5. You are on the right track for these problems to be resolved. Just follow the advice given each week and check out the library and posts on the community forum. Best wishes and keep posting on this forum about any concerns, we are a friendly bunch I think.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I feel for you! I'm struggling much the same at the moment and, after a lifetime of poor sleeping, I'm wondering if this will work. Seems like lots of people go through a really tough time in weeks 3-4 (I've just started week 3, so I'm very anxious about the next 2 weeks) -- it also seems like sleepio really does help most people. You're probably a very tough person to be doing everything you are doing on so little sleep, so good luck toughing this next bit out too. Strength sister!

Return to top