How do you cope in the day-time?

We see a lot about lack of sleep, but not so much on the effects this has on our every day waking lives. It seems this is the crunch-line in fact – How do you cope on little or no sleep? Any strategies for keeping going?

Posted 30 Nov 2011 at 3:16 PM
  • 132 comments
  • 96 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

Sending you positive vibes!!! I feel your pain!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

sounds very hopeful. thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

sounds very hopeful. thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 85 comments
    • 28 helped
    Graduate

Sorry, just now seeing this post. When I had trouble staying up till my bedtime, I knew I had to be more active. Not just at night, but during the day also.

Try morning sun and morning exercise. It helps to set your body clock and is also recommended for jet lag.

Evenings, especially when it’s dark at 6 pm, were tough. I would have to fight sleep if I watched the news, because there are so many bits of the news that I’m not interested in, so I’d zone out and sometimes fall asleep.

I’m a quilter, so I’d work on a quilt or clean the sewing room. I’d read, or watch a television show that I was interested in and knew I wouldn’t fall asleep. Sometimes a household chore. I started Sleepio in the late fall, so it was too cold and dark to take a walk after dinner, but I will when the weather gets nicer and lighter.

Try not to be too sedentary. That was my downfall. If I wasn’t busy and engaged, it was tempting to close my eyes. Good luck to you!

• Sleepio Member

• 85 comments
    • 28 helped
    Graduate

Sorry, just now seeing this post. When I had trouble staying up till my bedtime, I knew I had to be more active. Not just at night, but during the day also.

Try morning sun and morning exercise. It helps to set your body clock and is also recommended for jet lag.

Evenings, especially when it’s dark at 6 pm, were tough. I would have to fight sleep if I watched the news, because there are so many bits of the news that I’m not interested in, so I’d zone out and sometimes fall asleep.

I’m a quilter, so I’d work on a quilt or clean the sewing room. I’d read, or watch a television show that I was interested in and knew I wouldn’t fall asleep. Sometimes a household chore. I started Sleepio in the late fall, so it was too cold and dark to take a walk after dinner, but I will when the weather gets nicer and lighter.

Try not to be too sedentary. That was my downfall. If I wasn’t busy and engaged, it was tempting to close my eyes. Good luck to you!

• Sleepio Member

• 20 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

I am fortunate that I am retired although I do some voluntary work & have other commitments. What kind of strategies do you have to get you through the day after a very poor night?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Every day is a struggle. I don't cope. I will eventually crash my car while driving to work. Then at least it will be over.

• Sleepio Member

• 85 comments
    • 28 helped
    Graduate

Katiabee, you’re scaring me! Are you working with a doctor for your sleep issues any any other issues you may have? It sounds like you may have other issues than sleep, and I’m afraid I’m not competent to give you proper guidance. Please see your doctor right away to get the help you need. I’m worried about you.

• Sleepio Member

• 162 comments
    • 6 helped
    Administrator

Hi katiabee,

I’m very sorry to hear you are having a hard time. It sounds incredibly challenging.

While we're unable to provide direct medical advice since Sleepio is a self-help program, we do want to ensure everyone gets the help and support that they need. When people feel it is too challenging to cope on their own, we recommend they talk to their doctor or someone they trust.

Also, since Sleepio is a self-help program you should feel free to tweak the program to your needs or entirely skips techniques, like sleep restriction, if you feel it's too much for you. Your health and well-being is the most important thing.

You can also share your Sleepio data with your doctor through the Sleepio Clinic at any time if that helps. Your doctor can sign up for a free Clinic account at http://sleepio.com/clinic to track your progress and advise you as you make your way through the program!

Please don't hesitate to send us an email at hello@sleepio.com if we can help with the program, and I do hope that you'll continue to use the community as a source of support. I hope that this information is helpful. We want to be sure that you receive the safest and best guidance possible.

All the best,

Shanna
    +++
    Team Sleepio
    hello@sleepio.com

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

I feel a wreck after a night of no sleep. Very faint and light headed – i really feel like im going to faint . coping strategy is hopeless – i just carry on at work. Its horrible and i have a long commute.

• Sleepio Member

• 232 comments
    • 83 helped
    Graduate

Are you able to take time off work? Are you able to find another way of transportation to get to/from work besides driving (walk to bus stop?) on the nights where you don't sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

When my insomnia flared making the daytime too challenging, I went to the doctor and got a prescription for (generic ambien) at the standard dosage for women (5 mg). I found this was too strong, so I cut the pills in half. If a half doesn't work, I take the other half. While sleeping pills aren't ideal, this helped me keep things together.

The key longer term has been managing daytime stress (time for fun as well as learning assertiveness skills to deal with unrealistic expectations at work and from in-laws). My doctor suggested taking a walk in the sunlight every day as able to reduce stress and help with melatonin production.

Hope things improve for you!

• Sleepio Member

• 85 comments
    • 28 helped
    Graduate

Would it help if you tweaked the program a little so that you’d get more sleep? Such as sleeping a little later in the morning, going to bed a little earlier, taking a little nap? Little means maybe 15 minutes. Technically against the rules, but if you’re really suffering, your health and safety should be most important.

I know how difficult the early days of Sleepio are. I felt jet lagged and miserable for a month before it started to get better. But it did get better. Now, instead of all bad nights, I have maybe one bad night a week. I hope you can work through this and find success.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

I am going to get a sick note from GP

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Basically it has a lot to do with my back. Not having any sleep obviously means my back is not rested so have tension then i am quite able to do yoga aimed at releasing that tension but it is so bad – some nights i have had to do 2 hours of yoga . and the vertebrae in my back still painful in mid to upper back and knotting of muscles across shoulders. I have given up really now. After work i can stop at sportscentre for sauna. I have stayed in sauna suite for 2 hours as there is a relaxation area – this helps ease the back and i feel very relaxed . however then i have to drive home ( 13 miles). I have to eat a little then when i go to bed im wide awake .

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

Ki have tried getting up after 15 minutes. I have an easy chair on landing with a small light and heater. Its not working for me. My back in upright position iin this chair s very painful. I do not feel sleepy after an hour or two hours

• Sleepio Member

• 85 comments
    • 28 helped
    Graduate

Oh dear, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Have you worked with your doctor to help with your back pain? Sleepio has many discussion threads and library articles about sleeping with pain. I hope you find a solution to this. It must be very frustrating.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I work an early morning full time job and (2) part-time jobs (about to have a 3rd) – have a Husband and (2) kids (6) pets. I find that I end up staying up too late in an attempt to spend time with my family. I do housework, errands, etc when no one is home, between jobs- whenever I have the time. I find that some afternoons, I'm so worn out- I have no choice but to catch a nap. Does anyone else have a hard time juggling responsibilities?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Is it possible to go out for a little walk around 7 PM? I've been pondering the same question, as I'm almost finished with my school year (I'm a teacher) and won't flop on the couch after I get home from work, exhausted for the next few months. Also wondering how to fill up the evening hours without my typical dozing…

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I feel you. I too have multiple jobs and a family with pets to care for, as well as the same craving to be with my family. Let's work together on this, Snackskeeper. Can we distribute the work load more evenly (#chores for everyone)? Maybe we could add sleep to our morning, rather than evening family time? Also, as I have older daughters, we have a text thread for the entire family to set up our together times, usually on the weekends. Scheduling little trips together pulls us all out of our home schedules so we can spend real quality/quantity time together. Other ideas?

Return to top