How do you cope in the day-time?

We see a lot about lack of sleep, but not so much on the effects this has on our every day waking lives. It seems this is the crunch-line in fact – How do you cope on little or no sleep? Any strategies for keeping going?

Posted 30 Nov 2011 at 3:16 PM
  • 184 comments
  • 129 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Auntie Hoho
    Thanks for the words of encouragement I am at the moment in a very dark place and I am really desperate, my Gp says, you are in good hands with psychotherapist and my psychotherapist says he can't do anything any more nothing working for you he can't see me any more, he is one with GP made me like that 8 months ago I had a bit of anxiety now and again since they started giving me pills I started having severe anxiety and depression and anxiety and panic attack, and it affected my sleeping I sleep a few days 2 or 3 nights the rest of week nothing but I Used sleep 8 or 10 hours a night every night I am so tired and walking like zombie and feel there is no one to help me when I saw sleepo I thought they might help me and community people like you, I am so tired and level of anxiety and depression so high and I really don't know what to do
    anyone else who can help me
    I really appreciate that
    Reza

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Sleeping for about 3hrs only at night is making me feel so I'll during the day. Constantly retching, fainting and heart palpitations. Graduated in June and I had a spell when things hot better but developed kidney stones and because I was up peeing 6 or more times a night I lost my routine. Now no matter what I do I cant seem to get it back. I have tried every single thing I can think off, from early morning walks weighted blankets, supplements, counselling as well as all the tips recommended by the prof. I am on the edge of collapse and seriously feel life is not worth living. I don't want to sould like i am being overly dramatic but i just cant cope anymore. Anyone been here and found something that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello Jacquie, I feel for you I am like yo even worse, in good night sleep 2 or 3 hours and the rest of week not at all I am very tired and not sleeping pills work any more. I just want to say you are not alone they are some people worse than yo like me I feel life is not worth living bt at the end of day what chose do we have, just try new thing and do CBT, moreover have a hope and be kind to yourself and don't blame yourself, I started having anxiety disorder and depression and anxiety attach 8 months ago .after taking pills I got worse even I saw psychotherapist he gave me some more pills and they didn't work, I am trying to come off sleeping pills then anxiety pills, they made me like that, 8 months ago I was sleeping 8 to 11 hours, I was a good sleeper after taking pills I got worse and everyday anxiety attack anxious and worry about not sleeping when night comes I am scare to go to bed because I know I am not going to sleep, do not worry at least yo sleep 3 hours I wish I cold sleep that much,
    take care of yorself

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Reza, sorry to hear you are struggling too. I think I have developed sleep anxiety and have got an appointment to see a psychologist privately tomorrow. It sounds like you are the same. But I see you are just at the beginning of the course and sleep restriction wil kick in next week. That maybe will take away some iof your dread about going to bed because you only get such a short time to be in bed. The process definitely worked for me in the first instance but a number of health problems have seen me loss my way. This insomnia is a dreadful thing and only people who are going through it truly understand the impact on your life. Can I ask what the psychotherapist did and what pills did he give you. Did you see him specifically about sleep or was it about your anxiety and depression. It seems to me there is really no help in the NHS for this condition and you have to deal with it yourself which I think has made my anxiety about it so much worse.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jacquie, I went to see psychotherapist about anxiety my sleeping was ok I was sleeping 8 to 10 horse after he gave me Mirtazapine from 30mg to 45mg after taking it I stopped sleeping and then he tried quetiapine then now I am taking Trazadone 250mg and he gave me Zopicolone after 1 month stopped working now I am cutting it down, at the moment I am taking half of it, I want to come of all of those pills, they made me worse especially my sleeping pattern, before seeing him I was sleeping 8 to 10 hours I am trying to see private psychotherapist this Friday, what do you think. do you think it is a good idea
    have you ever taken any anxiety or sleeping pills if you do what are they.do you live in north or south, I am so desperate to get better I am 63 years old and it is very difficult to cope, can you give me some of your problems when did yo have anxiety and sleepless
    have you taking any pills for them I really appreciate for your advice

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Jacquie, I forgot to tell you If psychotherapist gives you any pills think 10 times before taking them some of them make you feel worse please let me know how it went tomorrow
    thanks
    Reza

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Reza, I have never taken any anxiety medication, but my gp has given me zopiclone which I take occasionally. Usually if I have had three bad nights in a row or I know I must drive the next day. The psychologist is talking therapy so I don't expect to be prescribed any pills. When I take a zopiclone I get about 5hours sleep but once I am awake my heart starts racing cos I cant get back to sleep. I live in Scotland and am 56. I think my problems started when I came off Gabapentin which I was on for Chronic migraine, and insomnia is part of the withdrawals. If you are ever offered that drug for anything just say no. I am not sure what a psychotherapist does but it cant hurt to have a chat with them, I think if I were you I would be inclined to try talking therapy, keep reducing the tablets and give this programe your best shot. Do you work? If so how do you cope? I am retired so at least I don't have that worry. I just want my life back. I will let you know how I get on and what he recommends.

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Reza, I have never taken any anxiety medication, but my gp has given me zopiclone which I take occasionally. Usually if I have had three bad nights in a row or I know I must drive the next day. The psychologist is talking therapy so I don't expect to be prescribed any pills. When I take a zopiclone I get about 5hours sleep but once I am awake my heart starts racing cos I cant get back to sleep. I live in Scotland and am 56. I think my problems started when I came off Gabapentin which I was on for Chronic migraine, and insomnia is part of the withdrawals. If you are ever offered that drug for anything just say no. I am not sure what a psychotherapist does but it cant hurt to have a chat with them, I think if I were you I would be inclined to try talking therapy, keep reducing the tablets and give this programe your best shot. Do you work? If so how do you cope? I am retired so at least I don't have that worry. I just want my life back. I will let you know how I get on and what he recommends.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, Jacquie, I just came back from psychotherapist he and his senior saw me and gave me propranolol 20 mg to take night time they say level of my anxiety is very high they want to bring it down, on the hand today I saw my psychotherapy he says don't take any pills they made yo worse and on Friday I might go to see private psychotherapist, I am so desperate like yo I want to get my life back I do anything to get better, I did mistake taking zopiclone every night since last week it stopped working now I am cutting it down, no I am not working I used to have my own business now I sold them and rent one of them out, I want to get better, we might help each other since we have got more or less the same problem and we want to get better and get our life bach like it was before

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jacquie, about this program I go to bed the same time they ask me to do bt 11.15 bt I should come off bed,8 am but I am so tired and stay in bed Just close my eyes till 9.30 bt I should follow the rules but I am struggling to follow the rules, did you follow all the rules, you said your sleeping got better when you graduated from course

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Reza, saw my psychologist this afternoon. He was really just getting info about me today, but he seems to think the trauma in my life have been contributing to my problem. He is going to do mindfulness as well as talking therapy with me and I have been set homework. I have to write about a series of long hospitalizations I had as a child. When I did the course in the beginning I did follow the rules but struggled as I really could barely sleep at all then. It did make a difference but you need to be consistent and it took time. I need to get back to being really strict with myself again. My current sleep window is 11.15 to 6am. But I think I need to reduce it back to where it was when I started out which was 11.30 to 5am. Let me know how you are getting on.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jacquie, don't worry you will be ok I have been seeing psychotherapy 3-time p to now and he really helps me and last night I took propranolol for first time I was more relax DR says it will take time they want to bring my anxiety down I think you and me have anxiety problems and when we wake p negative thoughts goes through over mind all the time I think sleeping pills are not going solve OUR problems, talking therapy as we both do is very essential and we should keep doing that sleepio rules, everyone seems are happy about sleepio and yo said it was good for you.I think I should follow rules and work hard to go through it, my sleep window is from 11,15 to 8 bt 11,15 is ok bt8am is very difficult to get p I am so tired and I stay in bed my with eyes close, one more thing we should get better and last year this time I was ok no anxiety and I cold sleep 8 to 10 horse, we will get better and we should have faith and I pray for you from now on to get better,

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

JACQUIE what is SR window,

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

That is sleep restriction window. So I session 3 the prof will give you a time to go to bed and a time to get up. You also have to implement the qhr, quarter hour rule, so if you are awake in bed for more that 15mis you should get up. It is tough. I do 30 mins because it can take me 15mins to get myself settled. There is no denying it but it stops you lying in bed ruminating and getting tense. And develops a strong sleep bed one too. At least that's the theory.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jacquie, how are you today, despite I am sleeping 2 or 3 hours and tired I am coping somehow and I am getting used to that much sleep I used to sleep 8 to 10 hours just 3 months ago and I was a good sleeper after taking anxiety pills I stopped sleeping my GP and psychotherapist my family and myself belive pills made me like I sold stop them bt psychotherapist keep telling me to take them, what do you think , I can do, ignore psychotherapist and listen to reasons, I am so desperate to get better last year in this time on Christmas I was ok no anxiety no sleep problem,
    I really appreciate your advice I know you are struggling for a long time mine is new and in my age 63 it is really difficult to cope

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, Jacquie, I would like a question to ask when first you started sleepoi, you said it worked for you, how many horses were yo sleeping that time, I like to think if it worked for you it might work for me, I really appreciate to answer me and help me It is worth trying it
    thanks
    Regards
    Reza

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Reza, when I first started sleepio I wasnt sleeping at all. Then 2 or 3hours a night.The programe did help and I managed up to 6hours a night but the I ended up with kidney stones and all my hard work came undone.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 1

Hi Reza,

I just thought I'd add that Mirtazapine is more sedating at lower doses, the dosage you mention above (30 to 45mg) is quite high.

At higher doses it can be quite activating, at lower doses it is very sedating e.g 15mg or 7.5mg.

I hope you get some relief soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 1

P.S. I'm not suggesting you change the dosage yourself, but I do think it's worth mentioning it to whoever prescribed the Mirtazapine.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I ve just started week 3 and had my first night of restrictive sleep but had no sleep at all. Now I'm exhausted and need to get to work which will be struggle. Beginning to feel desperate. Any advice would be appreciated!

Return to top