How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7535 comments
  • 2294 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Last night was tough but I am hoping that this program helps to allow me a restful sleep when completed. Woke up 8 times last time, one of which was due to my son waking up and in turn waking me up. I think that is going to be the toughest thing to get over. :(

• Sleepio Member

• 69 comments
    • 12 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hello Roonie0010,

Sleep is such a tyrant isn't it. As you point out, it dares us to mess with it at our peril, but drives us to desperation if we leave it to its own devices. I think you're doing exactly the right thing to stick to your regime. 4 hours feels awful afterwards, but as you got it in one block it probably represents two complete sleep cycles, so although you won't feel great on it, it's far better than 4 hours of constantly disturbed sleep.

Personally I find that it's better to have a high SE in a shorter window than a low SE in a longer window. I've turned down offers of an extension to my SW until this week because I didn't feel that my sleep was consistent enough. So, even if you don't get the extension it doesn't necessarily mean that you're doing worse. If you go back to your normal sleep window too soon yo might also return to your “normal” insomniac sleep pattern.

From reading other people's comments it seems that a blip is very common around graduation, so you might just be getting your out of the way early. Mine came at then end of Week 5 and lasted for 4 nights.

You're doing all the right things, and heroically struggling out of bed when you can't sleep (boy is that tough to do!), so the insomniac monster will have to give in sooner or later.

Good luck, and may Morpheus be with you,

Doodle zzz

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you doodle. It is so reassuring to have such clear and prompt responses when troubled. I do feel I messed with fire last night by deviating from my wind down schedule at this stage and then not being able to control my mind for the first time in several weeks. I unsettled myself. I will do as you say and just settle down again and trust the process. I will try the suggestion of just getting up and sitting in the dark for 10 mins and also going down and having a warm drink for 10 mins.

• Sleepio Member

• 97 comments
    • 21 helped
    Graduate

It is not until you get into weeks 3/4/5 Jeremiah that things start to change from the sleep deprivation
    The first two weeks are to prepare you for this sleep deprivation
    Practice all the prof gives you…it helps to reduce your anxiety around sleep which is important entering week 3
    Try reading as much in the blogs discussions and library
    Helps tremendously
    We are all here for you in the community as well :)

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I had my second blip last night. Didn't manage to sleep much at all after the first hour in bed, which often seems to be the way. The whole regime went to pot last night! Although I wasn't sleeping I couldn't/did not drag my self from my bed at all. I think I was just feeling sorry for my self, though it is hard to remember what I was thinking. For me the memory part has always been a problem!

• Sleepio Member

• 40 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

As I said last time you had a blip ,Jay,the trick is to try to forget it happened and carry on with your sleep routine this evening as normal.
    Easier said than done, I know. I had a serious blip on Thursday night. Wo after a couple of hours and that was it You should read the sad tale of woe I posted yesterday morning! Other members encouraged me to remember the progress I had made and last night I stuck religiously to my routine and achieved my best Sleep Efficiency score ever.
    So, don't lose heart. Stick to the Prof's recommendations difficult though they might be and in time it will become easier.

• Sleepio Member

• 354 comments
    • 117 helped
    Graduate

If you had got out of your bed last night Jay, you might have been able to sleep. You will prolong the agony if you don't follow Prof's rules, and none of us would want you to do that. I can remember what its like, and I can remember going up and down the stairs several times some nights, I can also remember the alarm waking me when I was having a lovely sleep. It all seems counter productive but it really does work.

So if you cannot get to sleep tonight get up within 25 minutes or so, the longer you lay there the longer you have to wait for sleep to come. I hated getting up but once I saw that it did help me get to sleep it didn't seem so bad to do it.

Let's hope you sleep well tonight.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Did I jeopardize the whole Sleepio process by taking a sleeping pill last night? I explain: I have been taking over the counter antihistamine tablets to help me sleep over the past 6 months, mainly to overcome the fear of not sleeping after the birth of my baby girl 12 months ago. I was told they create no dependency, but since I stopped them over the Easter weekend I have been unable to sleep. I think it's anxiety and not withdrawal symptom as they were becoming less effective anyway and I never exceeded the dose. Yesterday I was soooo tired I went to see my psychiatrist, who I first met after the birth of my baby to check I was not suffering from postnatal depression. After a few nights of no sleep at all, she advised me to take these pills again last night (Nytol) and reduce them gradually while making some life changes, such as going back to running which I love. So yesterday I took one Nytol pill and slept the entire night. So question: can I still continue with Sleepio or am I out?

• Sleepio Member

• 97 comments
    • 21 helped
    Graduate

You poor thing !
    You are under a lot of stress right now Sissi …
    No …absolutely you are NOT out of the programme :)
    There is physical as well as mental dependence that can develop with sleep aides
    Your Doctor has given you great advice and it should not interfere with you completing your 2 week diary accurately
    There are folks on here taking sleeping pills and doing the programme too
    Everybody is in different situations
    Sleepio will get you turned around
    It's tough but it works!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

That's super helpful. Thanks for the advice. Happy I am still in!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yesterday was night 5 of week 3 for me. Things are all over the place sleepwise. The most I've slept within my 5-hour sleep window was a couple of nights ago--3 hours and 30 minutes--which felt like a party compared to a pair of nights that clocked in at 2 hours 15 minutes and 1 hour 20 minutes, respectively. I'm playing around a lot with relaxation methods as I tend leave my bed at least once to follow the QHR. Honestly, sometimes it feels as though I'm deep-breathing my lungs and esophagus right out of my body. I find that during these nights even the progressive relaxation techniques and deep-breathing can make me tighten up (what with trying to do it juuuuuuuust right so it will WORK, and then working too hard at it so my muscles become even tighter and more rigid). Very frustrating, but I'm trying to gently guide myself back using the ideas from the thought checker. The first step always seems to be getting past self-blame. Onward!

• Sleepio Member

• 97 comments
    • 21 helped
    Graduate

I didn't see much progress Ladill until the middle of week 4…definitely all over the map too until at least then.
    It feels so discouraging and exhausting at first
    Week 3 being the toughest for most of us
    I found doing the PR in bed woke me up…I think because I was trying too hard
    Think that could be happening to you too
    You will find what works for you by trial and error
    Truthfully I ended up just trying to think about how lucky I was to hit the pillow
    Did a few slow breaths and turned on my side
    I started falling asleep within 10 min which was unheard of for me
    That ended up helping me more than anything
    I tried the meditation tapes etc in bed but found anything at that point woke me up
    Funny how we are all different here
    I played around with it for a few weeks before I found that actually less rather than more worked better for me
    Good luck with your trial and error :)

• Sleepio Member

• 69 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sissi,

I took sleeping tablets for my first 4 days of Sleepio, and some people take them for many weeks into the programme. I don't know if you've found the supporting articles….there's an piece by Colin Espie in the library entitled “Sleeping Pills” and also a community discussion entitled “Using medication while doing the Sleepio course” -there are loads of posts on this one ging back 5 years, so you're certainly not alone in taking sleeping meds. while on the Sleepio course.

All the best,

Doodle zzz

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Week 3 day 6… the prof gave me SR of 6hrs. I sleep at 11:45 pm and off the bed at 5:45 am. I am awake by 4:45-5:00 am . the first 5 days was ok but the anxious feeling crops up on and off… yesterday day 6 a blip. Went to sleep but got up middle of the night and couldn't sleep…feeling anxious …..does this anxiety go off as we progress… or will it still be there. The daytime time symptoms are a little difficult to manage…

• Sleepio Member

• 97 comments
    • 21 helped
    Graduate

You are right in the worst of it all now Jiji
    Week 3 is undoubtedly difficult
    The beginning of cognitive therapy wrestling with your brain which is trying to fight it and hold on to old ways
    It's like entering a tigers den isn't it?
    The sleep anxiety will get better
    Once you have a few nights of progress you will begin to feel less stress then it continues to get better from there
    With a blip it increases again but it all gradually levels off
    Unfortunately it takes time
    I can tell you that I shed plenty of tears in week 3 :(
    Week 4 is a little bit better and week 5 even more so
    Hang in there
    I know it's brutal
    We are all here for support

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

hi,
    i believe that my severe insomnia is due to sleep anxiety, ie the fear of not sleeping causes me not to sleep.
    After struggling for some time with these negative thoughts, yesterday i had an epiphany!! i managed to think positively for once! i reasoned that lack of sleep was not going to kill me and if i believed my body would sleep then it would. I went to bed happy and relaxed and not panicing, but i had the worst night ever! can somebody help me to understand whats going on here please? I truly thought that i had turned a corner, that my problem is due to the anxiety alone. I realised that it may not have been a great sleep and that would perhaps take time, but to have the worst night ever?? why?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I am currently have a bit of a nightmare, im supposed to be up for 9, however im still awake at 1:15 and have given up to try and distract my mind and look for help, I feel like im preaching to the choir when I say im struggling with sleep….no duh everyone is. I just have started the course and havent learnt any technequnies to deal withi this, I feel tired, taken zopiclone and still can nod off yet, its really depressing me and I need help!

• Sleepio Member

• 97 comments
    • 21 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jen
    Your comment seems to have been missed here as they do sometimes on these threads when several posts come at once…
    It is very good that you had that epiphany as that is the purpose of weeks 1 and 2…..building confidence that you will be OK after a sleepless night
    You are just being given the tools in these two weeks to prepare you for the sleep deprivation that begins in week 3
    Do not despair about this worst night ever
    Your sleep anxiety is in full throttle by the sounds of it
    Just when you thought you felt that confidence to be able to sleep…you crashed and burned
    That was a huge blow
    This is sadly very classic at your stage
    The sleep anxiety is in many ways the worst component of the insomnia monster
    Read as many blogs discussions and library articles as you can
    This will help you more than you realize
    We are all here for you for support
    Best wishes :)

• Sleepio Member

• 97 comments
    • 21 helped
    Graduate

That lonely frustrating place of being awake when you so desperately want to sleep is horrible Klambo
    Myself and everyone else on here knows how you feel :(
    Seeing the clock tick away makes us fearful and even more anxious…
    Weeks 1 and 2 are just laying the ground work for week 3 when the sleep deprivation begins
    You will be given tools that you need to practice
    Read all the blogs discussions and library articles you can
    You will find them extremely helpful for moving ahead
    Hang on….you will go through a bit of a rough time when the sleep deprivation is enforced but that will be the start of turning your insomnia around
    I promise you that it works :)
    In preparation…you may set yourself a lose sleep window for the next two weeks to try and regulate yourself just a bit
    It's not necessary but some people have found it beneficial
    I never thought of doing this but in hindsight I can see it may have been helpful
    Best wishes moving forward
    We are all here for you

• Sleepio Member

• 354 comments
    • 117 helped
    Graduate

This programme really does work klambo, just as Jinny told you. It takes a little while but sleep comes gradually and when that happens you start to cope better with everyday life and you will marvel at how you feel after a good nights sleep. So go with the programme as Prof instructs you, he really is an expert on helping people to sleep. So feel confident that you have found the help that you seek, you have survived this far and it will only get better.

Keep in touch with the community because you will get all the help and encouragement you need as you go through this journey from being in insomniac to a good sleeper. It is hard but also exciting as you start to sleep.

Best wishes

Ve

Return to top