How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7459 comments
  • 2282 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I was supposed to start SR last pm and was so tired (as I didn't sleep at all the night before), I couldn't do it. Not only could I not do it, but I didn't sleep again. I did get up in the middle of the night and move to another room for a relaxing activity. I have anxiety over this and feel overwhelmed. I'm trying to get off Lexapro and feel this is making it even harder to sleep. Is there a way to delay the SR on this program until you have one good night's sleep as a “foundation”? Thank you community – I'm really sad today. :+(

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 6 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi SleepPlz,
    I don't have any experience of sleep meds, but I think you may be suffering from rebound insomnia. There is a live session with Sleepio Dr this evening, you could post a question in advance, for some better advice.
    It's always difficult settling into week 3 onward, there is nothing to be lost by starting off your SR tonight--- if you are not sleeping anyway, you might be surprised, that your sleep may improve after a few days of hard times.
    Also using the Prof's Progressive Relaxation MP3 is a help with anxiety. Practicing wth this regularly, a couple of times a day was a huge help to me.
    Don't be downhearted. It's tough but Sleepio does work!
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Megwich. I really appreciate your tips. I will try the MP3. Thank you again!

• Sleepio Member

• 324 comments
    • 113 helped
    Graduate

All sleepios go through SR SleepPiz, it is difficult, but if you can get yourself on to it then you are on the road to recovery. It takes some time to reset the body clock, but that is what you have to work on and then slowly and gradually you start to sleep, some good nights and some bad nights. As for the sleeping pills, you can phase them out at your own pace but it is wise to try and stop them because when you start to sleep without taking them it builds your confidence and that helps a lot with anxiety.

Give it a go SleepPiz, keep in touch with the community and let us help and encourage you through the programme. I sleep well now so I know that sleepio works. I see Megwich mentioned progressive relaxation, I found that very helpful. What also helped me was concentrating on my breathing (as in mindfulness) when I got into bed, it helped to stop my minding racing and get to sleep. It took me quite a few weeks to start sleeping as my anxiety was so bad along with my panic attacks, but I persisted with sleepio because of the help I got from the community.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you peacock52. Lexapro is not a sleeping pill, but an “ssri” antidepressant I was prescribed many years ago due to my ongoing battle with insomnia. I'm on an extremely low dose, but it does help me sleep. I'm near off the med, but having a very hard time. I am SOOOO tired today, I can barely do my job or even deal with walking my dog. I will hope and pray for sleep tonight. I appreciate your response very much.

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

After a couple of good nights with over 90% efficiency, I had a very bad night last night. I am feeling depressed and on my knees. I have to work today and take care of my daughter.

I'm at the end of Week 4 and still having 2 or 3 nights a week of 2-3 hours sleep, which is just as bad as it was at the beginning.

I'm really struggling with QHR because I am on the verge of sleep all night and sometimes struggle to tell whether I'm in a light sleep or actually awake.

Also, after I put my daughter to bed at 9pm I have 3.5 hours of literally fighting sleep. I watch tv, knit, read, tidy the kitchen, ...but it's very hard to keep that up for hours on end and the minute I sit down I fall asleep. If I move my sleep window forward, when I get up in the morning I have exactly the same problem – fighting sleep for hours on end before the days gets going properly. Far too tired to engage my brain and work, but if I do something relaxing I instantly fall asleep.

This morning I feel overwhelmed, angry with myself, lonely.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hello Alisonsarah, it's really tough for you, caring for your daughter and working whilst trying to tackle your sleep problem. You can only try the best you can to work around it. Take heart from the fact that you have had some nights when you slept.
    More will come if you keep going.
    Like most Sleepios I have had difficulty with SR and QHR. With QHR I don't clock-watch, as it makes me anxious, I get up when I feel I have been awake too long , which may be as much as 20 mins, but not more than half an hour( for me this is why it's the quarter hour rule rather than a specific number of minutes ). But it's really important to get up if you aren't sleeping to reinforce the bed/ sleep connection, which is at the heart of the Sleepios programme.
    As well I try to practise the profs PR twice a day, and again before bed. Once in bed, try counting your breaths backwards from ten to one then starting again from ten. This is a Mindfulness technique, which I find helps to relax me.
    Don't be angry with yourself, you are doing well against the odds. Most of all don't be lonely , keep coming to tell us how things are with you.
    The early mornings after a poor sleep are the worst, I hope you feel a little better now
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi Alisonsarah
    There is a reply for you above- sorry posted. In slightly the wrong place. Hope you are feeling just a little better
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Thanks very much Megwich. Which PR did you use? Autogenic training or progressive relaxation? Both? I haven't been using them every day but maybe I should try. To be honest, I don't feel like I am doing well. I thought I was – last week I had fairly consistent sleep. But things have fallen apart again this week and things feel pretty much the same as they were when this all started a year ago, except that I'm in bed for much less time and am a lot less anxious about it all. More depressed than anxious.

Thanks for keeping my chin up. Off to listen to the visualisation download, and then one of the PR ones.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi Alisonsarah, hope you are feeling a little better today. I use the Progressive Relaxation one, also the Imagery one and also Mindfulness techniques
    Weeks 3to 5 are very tough, most Sleepios then gradually improve as I did, but we all improve at very different rates. I got to 90%+ SE,shortly before and just after Graduation. Then it all fell apart and it took a lot of willpower to keep going, but with the help of the community I am beginning very slowly to improve my sleep again.
    This is not a quick fix, but the prof gives you tools to help.
    I printed out lots of the Thought Checker and Putting the Day to Rest forms. Filling them in each day really helps to settle my thoughts. I also follow the links in the emails the prof sends after each visit, and spend time reading the posts about specific weeks.
    My bed time is 11-30. I start my wind down early, by switching off the phone and laptop at about 9pm, cleaning my teeth and getting into my PJs. I set up my bedroom -- switch on a low light and draw the curtains. I also put a book and a light blanket ready by an easy chair in the lounge in case I have to get up for QHR.
    We watch gentle Tele until about 10 pm then I read and listen to PR. Until bed at 11-30
    Try to develop a wind down routine that suits you and fits in with your daughter and you. It's really all about a good routine that you are comfortable with.
    I am away for a few days so won't be posting, but will be thinking about you Alisonsarah.
    If you post on your own profile it will appear in the moving band on the community tab. More Sleepios may respond to help you then perhaps. Hope you have a good weekend
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Megwich. I am pretty good about following the rules most of the time. Bad night last night. Downstairs 5 times and went to the loo 6 times. Around 2.5 hours sleep I think. I've just done a calculation and on average over the last couple of weeks, my nightly sleep is considerably worse than when I started Sleepio.

Is that normal or does it mean this isn't right for me?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

After having an 8 hrs or more sleep the night before, last night I didn't go to sleep until 5 :30 a.m. I was so sleepy when I went to bed but seemed awake when I got to bed & that wakefulness stayed with me until early morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 324 comments
    • 113 helped
    Graduate

No fun is it Jolene, typical of insomnia to be so tired but wake up as soon as you are in bed. But you made it to graduation which gave you all the knowledge you need to keep practising and slowly and gradually sleep will come.

What a lucky girl you are getting 8 hours sleep, maybe you could share how you managed it, I would love to know. So if you can do 8 hours one night then you can do it again…...keep trying.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I am getting worse, not better. End of week 5 and all my stats are on a downward trend. Sleep efficiency has gone down by 10% since last week, I'm getting highly anxious during the 2 hours before bed despite all efforts to stay positive and calm, have lost the confidence I'd gained in my ability to fall asleep quickly. Until this week, a bad night usually meant a much better one the following night. But this week, every night has been bad. Am increasingly struggling during the day. Work and childcare feel increasingly difficult. Feeling physically weak and pretty upset. Not sure how I'm going to get through the day and losing all faith in the programme.

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

So, I 'graduated' today but my stats are nearly all worse than when I started the programme. And I'm such an obedient student!! I really want to give myself a big hug. I'm giving this my all and still not achieving a great deal.

Feeling pretty down today, and worried about not having the structure of the programme once the 12 weeks is up. I'm on a university study which only gives me 12 weeks access. I can see it's going to take a lot longer than 12 weeks to sort out my sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 324 comments
    • 113 helped
    Graduate

Hi Alison, your message from 24th February got overlooked but I hope you are starting to see some results. 'Graduation' only means that you have been taught everything you need to know to learn how to sleep again, so then it is for you to put it all into practice which is what you have been doing and so long as you continue sleep will start to come. The body clock is a stubborn little thing, and needs repetition every night so that it gradually gets to understand what you want it to do!

I found the course agonising, I sobbed buckets, I was a wreck, but hubby was there to give me a hug, and then I remember having my first night when I slept right through and I thought I would sleep every night after that but of course I didn't, some nights I felt like I was on a keep fit course, up and down the stairs several times a night. But I have time on my side now and I do sleep every night. I still get the odd blip, but it is easy to deal with now and not a problem.

Keep at it Alison, you will get there.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi all, I'm facing a new problem and want some advice. Until now, my problem has been getting to sleep. Once I was asleep, that was that.

This week I've started to notice I'm awake quite a lot during the night. Often not long enough for QHR, (or at least by the time I've had the thought: I should be going downstairs now, I fall back to sleep) but I'm having a frequently disrupted sleep.

I've never had this problem in my life before. So why now? Why is my brain adding this new twist to the tale?

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I think it's indicative that your sleep patterns are still a work in progress Alison..

Actually when I started the programme I had both difficulty falling asleep and also frequent awakenings with difficulty getting back to sleep
    But I would say that the difficulty falling asleep even though totally exhausted was the most disconcerting of the two

As the falling asleep improved dramatically I noticed the frequent awakenings became worse
    They are starting to all even out ( most nights )

I think insomniacs have an undercurrent of anxiety there all the time that fights a normal sleep pattern
    Hence probably the ups and downs along the road
    That is why a big component of this programme is anxiety management with the meditation PR etc
    We train our thinking which controls the anxiety which in turn allows us to sleep and more importantly….allows us to believe we can sleep

You have had a set back recently which will be a thing of the past again soon
    Keep steady at the helm
    You are doing very well although it doesn't feel like it

All that is happening really is the process of taming the insomniac monster
    Our anxiety around sleep is our biggest enemy

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I found that I don't even get to the end of the relaxing exarsises you no the one where you make a fist it only 11 mins and I'm asleep before the end every time some one at work says thay can't sleep I tell them about this program have it linked on me Facebook page can't recomend in enough 10 out of 10 **********

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Many congratulations the1 spike. Such an inspiring message, well done!

Return to top