How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7382 comments
  • 2276 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

So keep a note of what works and keep doing it. If you have another blip (which you probably will), just tweek your routine a little until sleep starts to stabilise.

Keep going and you will find that 'magic' routine that your mind accepts and then you are on to a winner.

Mindfulness is great EO, once in bed, lay on your back and concentrate on your breathing, stops the mind thinking of anything else, then once you are warm and snug curl up into your favourite sleeping position and go off to sleep…......hopefully. Good luck.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

I`m still finding restlessness during the night is preventing me from having the quality of sleep I crave. I`m aware I move around a lot as I wake briefly which my Fitbit confirms, plus I wake in the morning with a bed like a ploughed field! I feel pretty good all in all, not stressed, goodness knows why but I am open to suggestions?

• Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    Graduate

I personally wouldn't bother with a Fitbit, to me they create stress. Just go by how you feel, and seeing as you feel good during the day you must be doing OK. And as for the bed looking like a ploughed field, gets my imagination going!

Just relax and enjoy that sleepio is working for you, in time sleep settles more as you continue the sleepio programme.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Is the restless sleep something which settles as sleep efficiency improves. I used to be very still during the night, perhaps it`s an age thing as well. Whatever happens, it`s a whole lot better than at the start and the only way is up!

• Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    Graduate

Yes it does settle so long as you stick with a good sleep routine like the wind down and regular bed time.

Keep going Katiedoll, you are doing well.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 152 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

I feel a little foolish this morning? After saying to Dr Sheals last night that I am usually quite a good sleeper which at the time wasn't a lie, well last night was one of the worse nights I could of asked for I was up and down like a yo-yo, I think it is more physiological as normally I go to bed and not need to use my alarm clock and get up fine after a good sleep, but last night I had to use a alarm clock to get up early for someone to have a look at my fridge freezer which had broke down over weekend…...the night was terrible and I find it happens most times with a clock now.
    On a better note it didn't or doesn't leave me anxious like it would of done in the past.
    Hope all is well with everybody else on here.
    Best Wishes. Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    Graduate

Think of the exercise you got going up and down the stairs Trevor. I take it you didn't resort to snuggling up with your duvet on the settee. Hope you got your freezer fixed. Have a good sleep tonight.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Good evening fellow Sleepio's! I must admit that I am greatly encouraged by the positive comments made by the graduates and others as they progress through the course. I do hope that this will be beneficial to me as I've literally tried everything else.

My insomnua first started at Uni at the age of 18 where I had a very noisy neighbour who played loud rock music in the room above me at the Hall of Residence night after night. I was too meek and mild to say anything – plus I was a little overawed by the whole leaving home for first time thing – and I let it continue. I think it left me with a kind of trauma. For years, I could not sleep even if there was the slightest noise and, now, aged 55, I can't sleep even when there is absolute silence as my levels of anxiety as regards the possibility of hearing noise are so high.

They said Week 3 would be tough and that's certainly the case for me. I feel I am getting worse not better and, to cap it all, I also feel a bit of a fraud as am also taking a tablet at night (amitriptyline). I tried to stop taking it last week so I could be as “authentic” as possible for the start of Week 3 but after the third night of not taking it, I felt very unwell during the day (faint feeling, headache, side of face aching – frightening). I also have had a painful scalp for a number of months now which is most probably totally unconnected but just adds to the “oh no, not another thing wrong with me”!

With that as s backdrop, I was literally “on my knees” starting Week 3 this week (I had to put it on hold over Christmas) and it feels very counter-productive to be holding out until a certain time (in my case 12.30pm) although I realise others are having to hold out lunch later than that) to go to bed when the body may be craving sleep earlier. You almost feel you are aggravating your problem. Added to this, having had insomnia for so long (37 yrs), I have used a number of crutches to help me through the bad times (comfort eating and binges to self medicate, quell the anxiety and give me energy) and getting up several times during the night to go to the loo (thinking “perhaps Ill settle now”) and this seems to have given me a weaker bladder so that I am constantly making loo visits by day also. I feel there is no peace to be had – like being a hamster on a wheel. I have never been able to nod off during the day either.

So sorry for the tirade – just feels so helpful to get things off my chest as I have always “hidden” my problem from friends (family aware) so as not to feel “different” although of late (as I entered my 50s 5 years ago), I have been of the mindset “there's nothing to be ashamed about” and I have opened out more to friends so they could understand my situation.

Anyway, onwards and upwards good people – I wish you all the luck in the world.

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi Downbutnotout, I think most of us have felt that at weeks 3 – 5 we were feeling worse before we felt better. Try to keep going as close to your set sleep window as possible, as the SR is important to help re set your body clock, and build up sleep pressure for night time.
    I felt dreadful during this phase, and almost stopped the course on several occasions. It was only the support from some lovely Sleepio members that kept me going.
    Get some proper advice from your GP about weaning off the meds, as coping with side effects on top of everything else is extra pressure you don't need.
    All I can tell you is what has helped me; keep busy with things in the evening to stop you nodding off and getting bored before your allocated bed time, like adult colouring books, jigsaws, puzzles etc.
    As you complete your weekly sessions with the Prof, you'll be given different tools to use each week. the Thought checker form and the Putting the Day to Rest form can be very effective in changing your mindset, so use them every day.
    Then when you're given the audio downloads to listen to, use them during the day as well as in the evening, to help with stress and anxiety.
    Good luck, and just keep going.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    Graduate

Amitriptyline is an anti depressant Dbno, so you have to wean yourself off of it over a few weeks or so, otherwise you will feel unwell as you experienced. You do not need to feel a fraud for taking it, it sounds to me like you need something to help your mood and give you a lift. I have taken it myself when I was depressed.

Sleepio works Dbno, it has a very high success rate for those sleepios who follow the rules given by Prof. The community are a great part of the programme because we all help each other, so couple that with Prof's rules and you are on to a winner. It is hard as we all know, but follow the rules and you will reap the rewards that come slowly and gradually as you work your way through the programme and beyond.

Panic attacks, anxiety, depression and no sleep is what I started sleepio with, today 19 months on, I sleep every night and I am well.

So work your way through it Dbno and look forward to better nights which are now in your grasp.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dbno. Peacock is right that what you are experiencing are most likely withdrawal symptoms. I was given antidepressants and benzodiazepines many years ago to help after several traumatic events in my life.
    In those days people were kept on this kind of medication for much longer and I had very bad withdrawal symptoms.
    There is so much more awareness now and the meds are given for a shorter time. There will still most likely be withdrawal symptoms and you should come off the medication slowly.
    The meds are so necessary in the short term to help with some areas of our lives, until we are more able to begin to cope for ourselves.

• Sleepio Member

• 25 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

There are some very helpful comments on here. It is worth checking in to read them as I find it helps.
    I had over 8 hours sleep last night, I can't believe it. Sleepio has made such a difference to me and by the comments a lot more too.
    For those of you still struggling, keep at it and hopefully you too will see an improvement.

• Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    Graduate

Eight hours sleep is fantastic Jules, well done on achieving that. You must feel really pleased with yourself because we all know this sleep programme is hard to do.

Take note of what works best with your wind down and keep tweeking it here and there so that you find what works best for you. My wind down is just a normal part of getting ready for bed now and I will stick with it in the hope that I don't have to suffer insomnia again.

Well done.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Thank you very much for your support – much appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Thank you for your support – much appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Jules…8 hours!! that's fantastic. Well done. That's really encouraging for those who are struggling at the moment. Gives us some hope.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

It's been a bit up and down since I graduated last Wednesday.Two nights ago, I managed only2 hours of sleep, having to get up 3 times under the QHR. so during Saturday I did extra PR sessions, and was more strict with myself about my routines and using the putting tha day to rest.
    So on Saturday night I slept well. But---- last night, I woke for the loo at 12- 30am and couldn't get back to sleep-- so downstairs under the QHR for half an hour. Happily I then slept until my wake up at 5-30am
    I'm not complaining or despairing, although my sleep is down to 80% .
    Before I started sleepio, I was either sleeping for about 2 hours, or not at all, so the programme is working for me.
    Just want to say, stick with it fellow Sleepio's we'll all get there in the end.
    PS. My iPad guesses what I meant to say, so excuses if it has guessed wrongly.
    VM

• Sleepio Member

• 31 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi Megwich. Don't you find this 'up and down' sleep pattern really frustrating? In the last 5 days I have had sleep efficiency that has been 42%, then three days in the 70's and then dropped again by 10%. I can't see any reason for the fluctuations. However I can see that overall my sleep is better than when I started the programme 13 weeks ago, it is just that I would like it to be perfect!!! I am still on a sleep window of 5 hours and wonder when, if ever, I can extend it.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Marione. You are right there . It is sooo frustrating. I had another really bad night last night. It took 4 hours for me to get to sleep. I was downstairs 3 times (QHR) . Haven't done anything different.
    From 12th – 20th January my SE was 90%+, and the prof gave me another quarter hour, which makes 6 and a quarter hours in bed. My SE is now 74%. Like, you I can see that overall I'm sleeping better than when I started , so I guess we just have to stick at it. I expect it will take some time for our minds and bodies to accept and adjust.
    I go to bed at 11pm and get up at 5-15 am. That timing really suits me -- and himself. ( he gets up at 8am!)
    If I could get back to 90%SE again I would be happy to stick at that!!
    We will get there it just takes patience and perseverance. Thinking of you and wishing you better sleep.
    PS the prof will give you an extra 15 mins when your SE is 90%. Don't know if he will take mine away!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hello!
    This is my first week on sleepio. I have been struggling to sleep for the past 5months. some nights I don't sleep at all and the remaining only for a few hours. Just feel my bed time routine is all over the place just trying different things and last night just resorted to watching tv ( I know the worst thing ! ) at about 4am .
    What should I be doing in the first eek apart from keeping my sleep diary ? Can anyone give me some tips ? In everyone's experience does sleepio help someone like me ? Just need some encouragement as losing heart.

Return to top