How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7547 comments
  • 2294 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 69 comments
    • 12 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Sissi,

I took sleeping tablets for my first 4 days of Sleepio, and some people take them for many weeks into the programme. I don't know if you've found the supporting articles….there's an piece by Colin Espie in the library entitled “Sleeping Pills” and also a community discussion entitled “Using medication while doing the Sleepio course” -there are loads of posts on this one ging back 5 years, so you're certainly not alone in taking sleeping meds. while on the Sleepio course.

All the best,

Doodle zzz

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Week 3 day 6… the prof gave me SR of 6hrs. I sleep at 11:45 pm and off the bed at 5:45 am. I am awake by 4:45-5:00 am . the first 5 days was ok but the anxious feeling crops up on and off… yesterday day 6 a blip. Went to sleep but got up middle of the night and couldn't sleep…feeling anxious …..does this anxiety go off as we progress… or will it still be there. The daytime time symptoms are a little difficult to manage…

• Sleepio Member

• 125 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

You are right in the worst of it all now Jiji
    Week 3 is undoubtedly difficult
    The beginning of cognitive therapy wrestling with your brain which is trying to fight it and hold on to old ways
    It's like entering a tigers den isn't it?
    The sleep anxiety will get better
    Once you have a few nights of progress you will begin to feel less stress then it continues to get better from there
    With a blip it increases again but it all gradually levels off
    Unfortunately it takes time
    I can tell you that I shed plenty of tears in week 3 :(
    Week 4 is a little bit better and week 5 even more so
    Hang in there
    I know it's brutal
    We are all here for support

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

hi,
    i believe that my severe insomnia is due to sleep anxiety, ie the fear of not sleeping causes me not to sleep.
    After struggling for some time with these negative thoughts, yesterday i had an epiphany!! i managed to think positively for once! i reasoned that lack of sleep was not going to kill me and if i believed my body would sleep then it would. I went to bed happy and relaxed and not panicing, but i had the worst night ever! can somebody help me to understand whats going on here please? I truly thought that i had turned a corner, that my problem is due to the anxiety alone. I realised that it may not have been a great sleep and that would perhaps take time, but to have the worst night ever?? why?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I am currently have a bit of a nightmare, im supposed to be up for 9, however im still awake at 1:15 and have given up to try and distract my mind and look for help, I feel like im preaching to the choir when I say im struggling with sleep….no duh everyone is. I just have started the course and havent learnt any technequnies to deal withi this, I feel tired, taken zopiclone and still can nod off yet, its really depressing me and I need help!

• Sleepio Member

• 125 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jen
    Your comment seems to have been missed here as they do sometimes on these threads when several posts come at once…
    It is very good that you had that epiphany as that is the purpose of weeks 1 and 2…..building confidence that you will be OK after a sleepless night
    You are just being given the tools in these two weeks to prepare you for the sleep deprivation that begins in week 3
    Do not despair about this worst night ever
    Your sleep anxiety is in full throttle by the sounds of it
    Just when you thought you felt that confidence to be able to sleep…you crashed and burned
    That was a huge blow
    This is sadly very classic at your stage
    The sleep anxiety is in many ways the worst component of the insomnia monster
    Read as many blogs discussions and library articles as you can
    This will help you more than you realize
    We are all here for you for support
    Best wishes :)

• Sleepio Member

• 125 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

That lonely frustrating place of being awake when you so desperately want to sleep is horrible Klambo
    Myself and everyone else on here knows how you feel :(
    Seeing the clock tick away makes us fearful and even more anxious…
    Weeks 1 and 2 are just laying the ground work for week 3 when the sleep deprivation begins
    You will be given tools that you need to practice
    Read all the blogs discussions and library articles you can
    You will find them extremely helpful for moving ahead
    Hang on….you will go through a bit of a rough time when the sleep deprivation is enforced but that will be the start of turning your insomnia around
    I promise you that it works :)
    In preparation…you may set yourself a lose sleep window for the next two weeks to try and regulate yourself just a bit
    It's not necessary but some people have found it beneficial
    I never thought of doing this but in hindsight I can see it may have been helpful
    Best wishes moving forward
    We are all here for you

• Sleepio Member

• 367 comments
    • 122 helped
    Graduate

This programme really does work klambo, just as Jinny told you. It takes a little while but sleep comes gradually and when that happens you start to cope better with everyday life and you will marvel at how you feel after a good nights sleep. So go with the programme as Prof instructs you, he really is an expert on helping people to sleep. So feel confident that you have found the help that you seek, you have survived this far and it will only get better.

Keep in touch with the community because you will get all the help and encouragement you need as you go through this journey from being in insomniac to a good sleeper. It is hard but also exciting as you start to sleep.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

One of the things that really helps me stay on track is my FitBit HR that records my sleep every night and shows when I have been restless, awake, or sleeping soundly. When it shows a disturbed night I can usually figure out what things I did or did not do to get my best nights rest.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I'm just about to start week 3 of the course and in preparation I stopped taking zopiclone last night (been on 0.5 tablets once a night for the past 2 weeks), went to bed slightly later and had the worst night I've had in ages, not a wink of sleep all night and up down, up down as I wasn't falling asleep. I felt incredibly drowsy but just couldn't get to sleep. I feel terrible today and extremely discouraged but I don't think there's any other way – I can't stay on sleeping pills for the rest of my life so have to give this a shot. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Have you had such poor sleep that you have nights with no sleep at all? I don't know what to do with myself, and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 367 comments
    • 122 helped
    Graduate

Sounds like a good gadget Sheila, I am not into that stuff, probably wouldn't know how to use it, but glad it is working for you.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have recently started SR again to get my sleep back on track, and I got close to 7 hrs sleep last night! (I think it was mainly due to exhaustion from a sleepless weekend). My sleep window is 6 hrs 15 minutes, but I fell asleep while doing relaxation techniques which I usually start 1 hour before bedtime. I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that I fell asleep before my usual bedtime, but I am feeling very grateful of the extra sleep today!

• Sleepio Member

• 125 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

I bet the glass looks half full today Shazzy :)
    Amazing what a decent sleep does to ones attitude and hope factor
    Good for you to be back at it trying hard to beat the insomnia monster
    XO

• Sleepio Member

• 78 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

His Shazzy, such an admirable plan to start SR again- not a easy decision I'm sure, so well done. I'm so pleased that you are back on track.
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 78 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Small.
    Sorry only just noticed your post. Well done for deciding to come off Zopiclone, I think you will benefit much more from the Sleepio course without them.
    Would it be better to reduce the dose gradually rather than go cold turkey? I think what you experienced is rebound insomnia. You could either ask you GP for a lower dose or cut your tablet in half.
    I was on sleep aids for a long period of time some years ago. I feel so much better better without them. It took time to gradually reduce them but it was really worth the effort – I never felt really on the ball the next day whilst I was taking them.
    You haven't been on them very long so the effects should disappear fairly quickly.
    Hope your sleep begins to improve
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Thanks Megwich, it's really good to hear your experience – yes I was only taking them for a couple of weeks and most nights only half a tablet, so shouldn't have too many withdrawal effects, but as you say the sleepless night could well have been affected by having had a tablet the night before. I have found that when I have taken a tablet, the next night I have a terrible time getting off to sleep – and then have taken another half a tablet and it becomes a terrible cycle. I've only been suffering from insomnia for a month following an illness, but it has been so extreme and sudden (5 – 6 nights in a row with 0 – 2 hours sleep, having never had any problems sleeping before) that I really felt like I needed something to cope with the shock. I'm feeling better mentally now, and am feeling positive that the SR will make the difference if I stick to it. Fingers crossed anyway!

• Sleepio Member

• 78 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hello again Small, you will be OK I'm sure once you are totally free of Zopiclone . You have lots of good advice about the Sleepio course on your profile. It really helps if you post your progress-- good or bad! The community is very helpful and supportive
    Wishing you better sleep.
    Megwich
    X

• Sleepio Member

• 367 comments
    • 122 helped
    Graduate

Hi Small, I didn't have insomnia for long, a few months but really glad I found sleepio because it seems to me that once you have it you have to work hard to get rid of it. I was on sleeping tablets for a while but didn't like them and then I asked my GP for some Diazapam because I knew that would relax me, I only took it about every fourth night and it did the trick, but of course it is very addictive so gave it up on the encouragement of the community. I have been with sleepio for almost 2 years and I sleep well now though this hot weather we are having may cause a problem but I hope not.

Follow the programme as Prof has instructed, get up sooner rather than later if you cannot sleep, get up for 15 minutes and sit in a dark room then try going back to bed. You may find you drop off easily then. Use Prof's tools, they help a lot. Mindfulness is good too, concentrate on your breathing when you get into bed, it stops the mind from racing, then turn to your favourite sleeping position and hopefully go to the land of Nod.

When I used to get up at night in the early days I never felt sleepy tired so I used to stay up for ages, I did crossword puzzles, reading, colouring etc, but it never tired me. So I tried just listening to PR and that helped but as time goes by you progress on to what works for you, so long as you stick to the rules.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 33 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

Has any one got any tips on how to record a fragmented night's sleep in the sleep diary?

My FitBit only recorded the final part of my night when I actually fell asleep after being up twice for longish stretches. Of course this has given me a very high SE score!! Which doesn't seem to reflect the type of night I had!

Trouble is I have no idea how much of the time I was in bed awake during the first two attempts at getting to sleep – felt like I was drifting in and out of sleep quite a bit, but not getting that final sleep surrender part!!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have had a lifetime of this problem but remarkably am doing much better. I still wake up after getting a decent amount of sleep and have difficulty determining the best time to try and get to bed.It's as if I cant tell the difference between tired and sleepy. Also I notice that I still fear the bed even though I feel much better about it.
    But over all much better.

Return to top