How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7666 comments
  • 2314 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

Thanks for picking right up on my post – looks like a great support network!

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

Peacock has given you great advice. I would also suggest looking through the library articles for topics that are relevant to your situation. Also in the community section is the weekly “live discussion with…”, where a sleep professional is online for a certain period of time, and you can ask questions and get answers in real time. If you can’t be online at the same time as the expert, post your question anyway and you will see an answer later.

• Sleepio Member

• 532 comments
    • 200 helped
    Graduate

How are you getting on Auntie Hoho? What was your story with sleep or lack of it?

It's a scary thought that insomnia doesn't get better on its own or with medication. Thank heaven that CBT works, and even better that with sleepio you have the community to chat with and help you through the programme. I have a sleep doctor that lives round the corner from me and she told me about sleepio, my GP didn't tell me even though she knew about sleepio.

I sleep really well now, I still stick to the rules because I am one of the 60% of insomniacs that has to manage sleep as opposed to the lucky 40% that actually overcome insomnia.

Keep up with the good work you do on here.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Couldn't sleep at all last night! I think it was because I was looking forward to the weekend and was worried that I wouldn't sleep and would ruin it! So upset as I usually sleep well at the weekends, seems like there not safe anymore

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Couldn't sleep at all last night! I think it was because I was looking forward to the weekend and was worried that I wouldn't sleep and would ruin it! So upset as I usually sleep well at the weekends, seems like there not safe anymore

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Thank you! Starting to find my way around and really appreciate how supportive everyone is.

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ve, thanks for your kind remarks. On my way for a weekend away, and my ride is almost here. Will get back to you next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ve, It’s always nice to hear how well you're doing, as it is is so encouraging to others. I’m doing well most nights. I’ll have a bad night once a week or every other week, after having a glass of wine with dinner, or something else out of the ordinary. For example, this weekend I spent 2 nights in a hotel with my sister. A beer on the first night gave me 4 hours of sleep. On the second night she had to wake me to tell me I was snoring, so that didn’t help. But we were out in the sun a lot, and busy each day, so I’m sure tonight will be better, back in my own bed.

I do still stick to the same bedtime almost always. I fought the QHR rule for a long time, but now that I’ve used it, I know it works. Prior to Sleepio, if I woke up within 2-3 hours of my preferred awakening time, I couldn’t get back to sleep. I’d just lie there, worrying that I wouldn’t get back to sleep. So of course I didn’t get back to sleep. Now, I do the QHR, get back into bed, and do my breathing and counting to 10. I usually don’t get past 5.

I do like to lie in after awakening, often as long as 45 minutes. I know we shouldn’t, but it’s just seems so inhuman to get up that early! And it’s my decadent luxury. I’d likely sleep longer if I didn’t do that, but like so many others, it’s hard to get up right away. I may try staying up later to see if it makes me sleep later in the morning.

Wishing you continued success!

• Sleepio Member

• 532 comments
    • 200 helped
    Graduate

I sometimes wonder if bed time will ever become normal, like pre-insomnia. But when I think about it, what I do now is normal, 11.45 bed time. I have tried so many times to get it to 11.30 but it just doesn't work. I guess the sudden onset of insomnia was so scary and upsetting that it is still firmly in my mind. At least the bed time I have fits in with all situations for me, holidays and nights out etc. I do get unsettled though if I am not at home, or on holiday, I will have to get up because I cannot get to sleep, I do settle down after a few nights.

As for getting up, I tend to have a bit of a lay in now. I don't get up as soon as I wake up, but usually up by 7. I do know that by sticking to the bed time rules my sleep has got better and better. Should I have a bad night which isn't very often, but is usually caused by eating rubbish or I have been on the wine, then I get up early and tell myself tonight will be OK.

I am really pleased that sleepio has worked for you AuntieHH, and it's great that you help a lot of sleepios through your experience. Insomnia is sheer hell, and anything we can do to encourage the new ones along this challenging road can only be a good thing. I like reading your messages, you are positive and encouraging. And from my experience, don't stop doing your new bed time routine, it will be habitual, but you will get a good night sleep from it, it's OK to relax the mornings so long as you keep sleeping well, at least this is what I tell myself, time will tell!

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Well, just as I thought everything was going wonderfully thanks to mirtazapine and many many uninterrupted nights of great sleep, for the second night in a row I'm getting poor sleep as I try to wean off benzodiazepines (I'm under medical control, I shall add) and prepare for a pleasure trip I'll be enjoying (hopefully ) next weekend. I will probably have to adhere strictly to the no blue screens after 10 pm rule, as nothing else seems to work. Actually, has any of you not found relaxation and visualisation techniques helpful at all, if not downright stressful?
    Wish me luck, reading of all your stories is a great help and comfort!

• Sleepio Member

• 532 comments
    • 200 helped
    Graduate

Mmmm, it's hard getting off these meds, it plays on your mind, which is probably giving you a 'blip' as opposed to the lack or reduction of a benzo. It is your mind that stops you sleeping, get control of that and your sleep problems are more or less gone.

It's good to hear that you have had some great sleep, isn't it just about the best thing in the world…....well it is if you are an insomniac. So try not to worry about sleep tonight, blips will come and go as you travel through the sleepio programme.

As for relaxation and visualisation techniques, they didn't help much. I listened to PR for quite a long time but once I stopped listening to any of that stuff, I started to sleep better.

What works for me is getting ready for bed and sitting in the dark for 15 minutes, and then thinking of my breathing once in bed. It seems the least you do towards getting a good night, the better. If you were a good sleeper you wouldn't do anything to prepare for bed,

The main thing is keeping to your bed time and maybe dimming the lights before bed. Enjoy your pleasure weekend, sounds great.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

You are absolutely right, I know it's literally all in my mind, and I've had multiple confirmations of that: I certainly didn't think about insomnia while I was sleeping greatly, both recently and in the past years, which definitely has to mean something.
    I also just lie down on my favourite chair in the darkness for a while, waiting to be sleepy and that generally works.
    Thanks for this wonderful, supporting community.

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

I was able to taper way down on benzodiazepine while using Sleepio. I used to take one mg at bedtime and another one mg when getting up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. I slowly tapered down and am now taking nothing at bedtime, and less than half a mg in the middle of the night.

After each cutback, I had a week or so of insomnia, but I just forced myself to stick with the plan. I’d stay with that reduced dosage for a month or so until I was confident enough to try another cutback.

To get through the anxiety and worry about not sleeping, I’d do deep breathing, and count with each breath. I’d count backwards from 10. When I’d remember it the next morning, I’d remember getting to around 5. If I got down to 1, I’d start at 10 again. I’d usually know by then that I wasn’t getting back to sleep, so I’d get up for the QHR. This has worked for me. Most nights are pretty good, much better than before Sleepio. Occasionally after a glass of wine, or a night in a hotel, I’ll have a bad night.

Best if luck to you!

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

You are right, Ve, insomnia is pure hell. Sleep restriction was even worse. But I needed a solution to long term sleeping pill usage, and Sleepio has really worked well. I never would have believed that I could sleep well most nights, after decades of insomnia. It’s not been easy, but it does work. I’m so grateful to you and other members of the community for your positive comments and helpful suggestions.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I have completed my sleep study and I have moderate sleep apnea. I'm finished with training and am now using a new APAP unit. My sleep has been up and down, but better than when I first started. I can't stay awake until 11:45 pm, so I go to be as late as I can – 9:30 to 10:30 pm. I am not waking as many times as before, but sometimes my wake time lasts over an hour. I seem to wake at 2 am like clockwork. I go back to sleep at 4 or 4:30 and wake for the day between 5:30 and 6 am. This is much better than before I started Sleepio. I'm getting more sleep now than before. I'm hoping with my new APAP machine my sleep will improve. Interestingly, I haven't taken a sleep aid for over 2 weeks!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Graduated today and pre-celebrated with a poor nights sleep haha. It does seem to happen like clockwork after 1-2weeks, i will have 1 or 2 nights of poor sleep. In fact, this was the first time I had to get out of bed since restarting the course. Once I finally got back to sleep I actually slept 45min past my wake up time, and could have easily slept a couple more hours.

Fortunately these days, a poor nights sleep consists of getting 3-4hours sleep with little diminished appetite for life. Still have a high sleep efficiency and i think 6hours actual sleep is bang on what works best for me. Which is really cool as it feels like i have magically created extra hours in the day to do all sorts.

I will definitely stay mostly strict to my sleep times, maybe adding extra minutes and/or altering wakeup/go to bed times. I really have little to complain about as my sleep is v good 90% of the time. I know i have all the techniques to quickly arrest any future sleep problems, and for that I am eternally grateful for!

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

Great news! Continued success!

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

So happy for you!

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I slept much beter last night – Peter's finals are finally finished – time to celebrate his upcoming graduation.

Actual bedtime 10:25pm fell asleep in minutes.

Woke 12:30 am bathroom
    3:30 am awakened by Socks Jr. and Cara, I was a little to warm, very humid in the bedroom; bathroom again.
    Woke at 6:39 and dozed back off until 6:45 am – Dave's alarm.

Martial Arts this morning – Dave's belt test – he will be @ second to that last belt before the Black Belt for Hapkido. Nick and Peter already have this belt for months already.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Very good night sleep, even though it was much later than I usually go to bed.

Actual bedtime 11pm
    Woke for the bathroom around 5:15 am, again at 7:15, 7:45am and dozed back off until 8am.

Today is a very special day for our youngest son; Peter; it's his Baccalaureate this afternoon – the ceremony to celebrate his upcoming Graduation this Thursday, May 24 , @ 10 am.

Return to top