How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7787 comments
  • 2332 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2007 comments
    • 489 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I managed 6 hours solid last night Ve and couldn't believe it as normally 41/2 to 5 but know what I've been tired out all day! Think I'll misbehave tonight.

H.

• Sleepio Member

• 627 comments
    • 274 helped
    Graduate

Well I guess you deserve to misbehave a little then Holiday. Six hours is great, well done.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi everyone, on my second night of sleep restriction, I should be getting up at 5.30am but I don't want to set an alarm & wake up my wife as well who is a good sleeper, has anyone got any suggestions

• Sleepio Member

• 627 comments
    • 274 helped
    Graduate

Separate rooms is best if possible, just for a few weeks while you get used to the routine. If that isn't possible talk to your wife and see if she can cope with the disruption, not only the alarm going off in the morning but also getting up in the night if you cannot sleep. It can be quite disruptive but put all you can into it in those first few weeks to start turning your lack of sleep around.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

hi, we have tried separate rooms and we both got worse sleep than ever (especially my wife who normally sleeps like a 'dead' log, had a word with her about the alarm & she's ok with that, thanks for the help

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi – I have a Fitbit HR sleep tracker which has a silent alarm – it just buzzes on my wrist and wakes me up but not my husband. I found this to be really helpful when I was getting up very early on the Sleepio programme. It also helps now if I have to have an early start when travelling. I didn’t use to sleep for fear of not hearing the alarm so ended up with the double whammy of a sleepless night and an early start. For some reason though it is absolutely impossible to ignore a silent alarm buzzing away on your wrist!

• Sleepio Member

• 291 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

I was going to suggest the same as Seattle, to use an Apple Watch, Fitbit, or other wrist device to give you a vibrating alarm. If using a device that’s connected to your smartphone, you might want to turn off notifications for phone calls, emails, texts, news, etc, or you could get woken up at odd times with junk emails coming in, robocalls, etc.

• Sleepio Member

• 291 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Or, you could set your alarm on your phone and put the phone under your pillow or in your pillowcase, so it vibrates. This would work best if you don’t roll around and move your pillow a lot in the middle of the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi, I just use an old fashioned wind up alarm clock, I won't have my phone in the bedroom, there's a lot of research out there which says the emissions are not good for you especially sleeping with one right near your head, for the same reason I turn of the wi-fi router at night which is in the next room, right next to the beds of our two dogs (who also have no problems sleeping all through the night !!!)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hey, Jack. I believe that if you set your phone or device to “airplane mode”, that should get rid of most of the radio emissions, and the alarm and the vibrate mode should still work fine. Keep in mind that the effects of radiation are cumulative, so having the phone around at night for a few weeks or months during your SR nights is not the same as doing it for the rest of your life.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi EnriqueR,
    Fair point about the cumulative effect but I don't have a smart phone, apparently my phone is an old fashioned 'stupid phone' that can only call & text, but can set it on silent vibrate so will try that,
    Cheers

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I have been on the programme about 5 weeks and am now sleeping well (near 90% efficiency for a sensible length of time, though waking briefly 2-3 times a night). However, when I get up in the morning, my body feels totally exhausted and often have to take a rest (not sleep, just resting my body) after I've been up about an hour, just to have enough energy to keep going. By about 10.00 am, my energy levels have settled and I can do things normally for the rest of the day. I have a good bed and am getting what feels like a reasonable quality of sleep, but still feel exhausted first thing.

• Sleepio Member

• 23 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi Danae2002, I am exactly the same, week 5. SW 6.15. Average 90%. And zombie state for at least 2 hours, So I would be really interested if you get any comments back. It doesn't bother me too much as I take that zombie time to surf through this site but I could not imagine getting up to go off to work.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

My bedroom has lots of light leaking in from the street lamps virtually opposite my window. I bought a good quality sleep mask (as suggested in the early weeks) from Amazon and it has helped me to fall asleep much faster and contributed to my waking up fewer times each night. I believe it was a great investment and not overly expensive at £11.99

This coupled with the relaxation exercises has helped me to improve my sleep quality enormously and hopefully in a couple of months when I will no longer have to get up for work at daft-o-clock in the morning 2 out of 4 weeks my total sleep time will improve.

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Hi everyone.
    Things outside my control wake me up a few times a night. My temperature is out of my control because of the menopause and I live in a noisy city. People walk down my street shouting at each other through the night.

I get an average of 7 hours sleep a night but it is very broken and I wake up tired.

Any ideas appreciated

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Just wondered if anyone else struggles to sleep until an unearthly hour of say 4am?

My trouble is actually making myself go to sleep. It doesn't appear to be the typical insomnia type because I don't really have a bad bed/sleep connection or wake once asleep, I really struggle to get tired enough to fall asleep – even though I am tired I just know I won't sleep so my evening can go almost right through the night to maybe 4-5am… I work at home and get a lot done in the small hours and its hard to break this pattern but I'm trying.

Once alseep, I'm sound. I get average 4-5 hours because I have to get up to work…. I've sometimes gone maybe 36-48hours to try to kick-start me into going to bed at a proper time but its a temporary help, often just one night.

Much of this course appears to be designed to the typical issue of people waking up in the night or being in bed a lot of hours not able to sleep… Luckily, I do connect my bed and sleep pretty well because I don't tend to go to bed until ready to sleep.

My 'racing mind' issues are not solvable problems so although this element is being touched on at this time in my course, unfortunately, my specific issue is not resolvable so I'm meditating to try to learn how to think about something more conducive to sleep. This definitely helps.

My problem of learning to 'go to sleep' and get into a sleep at night instead of in early morning just does not appear to be within the curriculum so far. However, I'm going through the motions and my previous 4 hours is increasing since I started the restrictive sleep but still I'm struggling to get this time thing in check.

Surely its not impossible to go to bed at 12 and get up at say 7:30 – I know enough people that sleep 10-7 every night… oh, how we all envy those people!

Nevertheless, I'll stay on track on the course and hope at some point it does work or my specific issue is addressed.

Anyone else got this problem?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Woohoo! Just 'graduated'.

Sleepio was just beginning to help me. I was having two or sometimes three good nights' sleep over the past two weeks. But I broke my big toe in three places (yes, did in style)! Now I'm back to where I was six weeks ago struggling with pain. Painkillers help to some extent but the pain has kept me awake most of the past three nights.

So I've made a plan. Until the pain subsides I'm going to let myself catnap occasionally during the day mainly because the painkillers make me drowsy daytime but not at night. I think I will set an alarm so that I don't sleep more than 15 minutes here and there.

Once the pain starts to go I'll get back on the Sleepio routine. In the meantime I'll keep reviewing the various techniques I've learnt.

This is all a bit of an unwelcome setback but I feel very optimistic that Sleepio is going to help me once I get over this problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 291 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Wow, breaking your toe in 3 places – that takes real skill! Sorry, couldn't resist! I cam empathize – sewed a sewing machine needle through my finger, twice!
    At least you know that all of this is temporary. Your plan sounds like a good one to me. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I had a terrible, terrible night. Went to bed very tired at scheduled 1.00am, got up having not slept at 2.00 and returned to bed at 3.30. Still couldn't get to sleep straight away. My sleep schedule is set for me to get up at 7.30, but just couldn't do that. I got up having had about 3 1/2 hours sleep at 8.45. I know I'm not keeping to the schedule but I just physically couldn't do it, I am feeling quite disheartened

• Sleepio Member

• 291 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Oh yes, I do remember those days. I was ready to quit several times. But what was my alternative? Going back to insomnia-land? The community pulled me through by reminding me that sleepio isn’t easy or quick, and that the science shows that it does work. I’ve seen many posts similar to yours, so those nights aren’t unusual. But they are temporary. It does get better, as long as you stick with the rules, be patient, and work to find techniques that will work for you.

I had insomnia for many decades, and had used sleeping pills every night for over 10 years, and I’m doing well most nights now, without pills. So it can be done.

I was miserable for a few weeks until I started to get 2 or 3 good nights a week. Then it got slowly but gradually better. It does take time for some people, but if it worked for me, I’m optimistic that it can help you as well. Best of luck to you.

Return to top