How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7776 comments
  • 2329 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone
    I’m feeling a bit down today, due to an absolutely dreadful night last night. I went to sleep about 12.45 a.m. but was awake for good at 3 a.m. In spite of following the 15 minute rule and trying all the other strategies nothing worked, and in fact I felt wide awake for the rest of the night. I’m in week five and had had a few really positive nights so thought I was on the upward trend. I’m seriously thinking of taking a sleep aid tonight but I know that’s no the answer. Just wanted to let off steam really, and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 260 comments
    • 114 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi cleocat, many of us experienced ups and downs during the first few months, before starting to get some consistently good nights. Sometimes I knew the reason, such as alcohol, too much stimulation close to bedtime, etc. but other times were a mystery. Over time, I just accepted that I’d have an odd night for no good reason, and just get on with my day.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi everyone, I am here the first day,my GP suggested it. When I think about last night, I have six weeks in front of my eyes that look the same in the same way.I have many, many questions to people who are struggling with insomnia. How do you deal with work when you have total insomnia? I can't deal with it, I'm terribly tired and resigned, I don't go to work.I make a mistakes from lack of sleep and I can be a threat to myself and others.This is my 6th week almost without normal sleep, sometimes I don't sleep even 2-3 days.In this course, there are not many questions that are important to me and which caused me great fatigue from lack of sleep.Today is my first day with this course,and I think it will not work well for me.My longest sleep is 1.5 hour after falling asleep with more than a dozen “waking up” until the morning.It is not sleeping, it's vegetation, it can not be combined into a dream as a whole.I don't have any addictions, I don't drink alcohol, I don't drink coffee, 2.5 months ago I quit smoking cigarettes completely,I only suffer from panic attacks, but they don't bother me now, I only miss sleep.I would give everything for 4-5 hours of normal sleep, I feel terrible.

• Sleepio Member

• 24 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 4

Hi. I just joined Sleepio and I was wondering how many hours of sleep did you all get when you first joined? I figure I get anywhere from 4 to 6 and this has been going on for 6 months. Today I did some yard work that involved burning brush and I am exhausted. A year ago, I could have done it easily. Hopefully, this course will help me get back to where I was. I know everybody feels different because how many hours of sleep they need. During February, when I was really anxious about my sleep and didn't know what was going on, I went four days on one hour's sleep. Obviously, it has improved since then but I need it to improve more. I can barely function at work now. Good luck to everyone still in the course now.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, another bad night, this last 2 weeks have been getting worse back to my “normal sleep pattern”
    Up until 2 weeks ago I was sleeping apart from my wife, trying sleep deprivation which was helping me get about 6 1/2 – 7 hours sleep (I normally have about 3-4 & have done so since being a child, now 57)
    I have a good diet, no meat, dairy, wheat or oils, I eat plenty of fruit & veg, I do yoga, take my 2 dogs out for a 2 hour walk every morning, I have not smoked for 3 years, I haven't drank for 2 years or done any drugs for about 4 years.
    My wife is 60, is a really bad stress head, has a lot of unhappiness in her life (none of which are about us) she has a terrible diet and drinks a lot but goes to bed at 9pm and gets up at 8am and sleeps like a log (what is all that about !!!!)
    I don't have any worries & lie awake all night wondering why I can't sleep.
    Sorry for the rant !!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi Cleocat,
    Have you tried 'sleep deprivation therapy'
    It really helped me, the only problem was that I had to sleep in another room apart from my wife, now I'm back sleeping with her my sleep has gone back to what it was before.
    It's worth trying, it's drug free & doesn't cost anything !!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 620 comments
    • 267 helped
    Graduate

I had a great sleep last night and I get many good nights with the odd bad one chucked in to remind me to manage my sleep which consists of being repetitive every night (regular bed time and a short wind down) so that my mind and body has learnt that it is bed time and ready for a good sleep.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 2001 comments
    • 482 helped
    Graduate

No need to apologise for having a rant at 3.50am Jack that's what this forum is here for and I must admit yours is quite a challenging problem.

In summary you have slept 3 to 4 hours most of your life and managed till now age 57, dabbled in drugs, smoking and alcohol but now clear, good diet and plenty of exercise with the dogs and since joining Sleepio you reached 6 to 7 hours sleep, brilliant. I'm not an expert on anything Jack but if I interpret your message correctly you have a wife with a alcohol/drink problem! if I have understood this incorrectly I apologise, but if this is the case it must be very stressful for you living in that environment as your wife may have mood swings that have a serious affect on you and going to bed with the thought of the next day and how to handle it will effect your sleep.

I can understand why you lay awake all night struggling to sleep, and I don't know how you deal with this and even separate beds may not be the solution, if I had a similar issue I would try to help my wife with her problem and if successful you would both improve your lives together.

Jack I could have this totally wrong and if so I apologise but I'm just trying to be a Sleepio pal,

Keep posting,

Holiday.

• Sleepio Member

• 2001 comments
    • 482 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ve just posted a message to jack above, maybe I got it wrong and you could adjust my comments with your gentle female consideration.
    Anyway I'm pleased to see you on here helping with good thoughtful advise as you have always done.

Holiday.

• Sleepio Member

• 620 comments
    • 267 helped
    Graduate

Holiday, my sleepio mate, your message is fine, I couldn't improve on it if I tried.

So how is your sleep, are you behaving yourself and still working on it. I haven't managed more than six hours yet, have you? I find as long as I get 5 hours I manage well during the day and I don't hanker after getting more…..although it would be nice!

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, thanks for your comments, you are quite right I do think my wife has a drink problem (which she doesn't see) so this is a very sensitive issue and has to be worked on very subtly. We are on holiday at the moment and hopefully one of her main 'issues' has been resolved and she has been drinking less so I am hopeful that when we get back next week things will improve.

• Sleepio Member

• 2001 comments
    • 482 helped
    Graduate

I managed 6 hours solid last night Ve and couldn't believe it as normally 41/2 to 5 but know what I've been tired out all day! Think I'll misbehave tonight.

H.

• Sleepio Member

• 620 comments
    • 267 helped
    Graduate

Well I guess you deserve to misbehave a little then Holiday. Six hours is great, well done.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi everyone, on my second night of sleep restriction, I should be getting up at 5.30am but I don't want to set an alarm & wake up my wife as well who is a good sleeper, has anyone got any suggestions

• Sleepio Member

• 620 comments
    • 267 helped
    Graduate

Separate rooms is best if possible, just for a few weeks while you get used to the routine. If that isn't possible talk to your wife and see if she can cope with the disruption, not only the alarm going off in the morning but also getting up in the night if you cannot sleep. It can be quite disruptive but put all you can into it in those first few weeks to start turning your lack of sleep around.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

hi, we have tried separate rooms and we both got worse sleep than ever (especially my wife who normally sleeps like a 'dead' log, had a word with her about the alarm & she's ok with that, thanks for the help

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi – I have a Fitbit HR sleep tracker which has a silent alarm – it just buzzes on my wrist and wakes me up but not my husband. I found this to be really helpful when I was getting up very early on the Sleepio programme. It also helps now if I have to have an early start when travelling. I didn’t use to sleep for fear of not hearing the alarm so ended up with the double whammy of a sleepless night and an early start. For some reason though it is absolutely impossible to ignore a silent alarm buzzing away on your wrist!

• Sleepio Member

• 260 comments
    • 114 helped
    Graduate

I was going to suggest the same as Seattle, to use an Apple Watch, Fitbit, or other wrist device to give you a vibrating alarm. If using a device that’s connected to your smartphone, you might want to turn off notifications for phone calls, emails, texts, news, etc, or you could get woken up at odd times with junk emails coming in, robocalls, etc.

• Sleepio Member

• 260 comments
    • 114 helped
    Graduate

Or, you could set your alarm on your phone and put the phone under your pillow or in your pillowcase, so it vibrates. This would work best if you don’t roll around and move your pillow a lot in the middle of the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi, I just use an old fashioned wind up alarm clock, I won't have my phone in the bedroom, there's a lot of research out there which says the emissions are not good for you especially sleeping with one right near your head, for the same reason I turn of the wi-fi router at night which is in the next room, right next to the beds of our two dogs (who also have no problems sleeping all through the night !!!)

Return to top