How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7557 comments
  • 2293 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you :)

• Sleepio Member

• 90 comments
    • 15 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Graduate

Great news CJ :-)
    It can be done :-)
    Now, keep sleeping well whilst you are up in bonny Scotland – just keep telling yourself 'it can be done'! :-))

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

I think that's a very good sign CJ. Usually if I have something planned for the next day (especially if it involves driving) that's enough to scupper my sleep that night. Have a good time in Bonnie Scotland and sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 120 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

Great news CJ that you managed to overcome the excitement/ anxiety of your trip and get a good night's sleep. I am more like lhobby; it only takes the slightest 'commitment' the next day to throw me off track and rob me of a decent sleep. So annoying, especially when it is something as mundane as having to get up because the gardener is coming at 9o'clock

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Roughly every other night I'm getting no sleep. Sometimes the next night after a no sleep night I need a sleeping pill to sleep. Anyone recovered from a situation like this?

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

Ditto from me, CJ. What a morale booster to get a good sleep when you're about to do something that's out of the ordinary day-to-day routine.
    I'm just like you and the others, very sensitive to events the next day, especially when I want to be well-rested. It's such a psychological hang-up that's been hard to overcome. I hope it all goes well for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 120 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

So pleased for you that you are meeting the challenge of a change of routine so successfully. A holiday is meant to be a relaxing change so it is good to hear that it is working out that way for you. Long may it continue!

• Sleepio Member

• 90 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

Hi CJ – I agree with you about the relaxation – this has certainly been the key for me too, and as you say it is a skill that you have to learn and continue to practice so that it almost becomes second nature :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Hello
    I had a rough night after my 1st session .My mind was racing about knowing what time I will fall asleep.How to know without looking at the clock all the time?

• Sleepio Member

• 90 comments
    • 15 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Rammer – have just posted on your profile page!

Try not to worry too much about exact times! If you are not using a tracking device (which aren't particularly accurate anyway!) but relying on your 'guesstimates' it will only be a rough estimate. Look at your clock when you go to bed and then forget about it (unless you have to get up in the middle of the night, in which case you can look at it then). Then just go with your gut feelings about how long it took you to fall asleep and how well you think you slept during the night. Otherwise your worrying will just make you anxious, and as you say, end in a 'rough night'!

Sweet dreams :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hello Rammer. I did this clock watching thinking I needed to be accurate with my sleep diary at first but it ended up making me anxious and keeping me awake! As Rosie say, you are only meant to estimate how long you feel you are awake. You'll get used to this so try not to worry about it. There is information in the 'library' about filling in the sleep diary that mentions this I think.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have been struggling with insomnia for the last 8 months and have been with sleepio for the last 4 months. My issue seems to be that no matter how little sleep I get I'm not sleepy, exhausted but not sleepy. I have to work very hard to get sleepy in the evening so that I can fall asleep. Why is this happening and does anyone else have this issue?

• Sleepio Member

• 401 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Kathy, I was the same, not feeling sleepy is part of insomnia. I used to stay up for ages in my early days of sleepio and still not get sleepy tired. I think I had forgotten what feeling sleepy was like. But I felt exhausted all the time.

I am two years on from joining sleepio Kathy, By continuing with the programme eventually turns things around and you start to recognise sleepiness rather than exhaustion. Keep being repetitive every night, get ready for bed, sit in the dark for 15 minutes or so and then go to bed at you regular time, even if you don't feel sleepy tired. By being repetitive Kathy your body clock will start to recognise that it is bedtime and you want to sleep through the night. Make sure you get up at your regular time too.

Blips come and go, at your stage a blip still knocks your confidence and makes you worry about not being able to sleep. So learn to manage the blips and you are well on your way to overcoming insomnia. Remember a blip is all in the mind, use the thought checker, try thinking of something nice. So when you get into bed think of your breathing, I still do that now even after two years with sleepio, and it really works for me. I do that for a couple of minutes and then I sleep. Get up if you cannot sleep, don't stay up for long, maybe make a warm drink, keep the lights low, and then go back to bed and try sleeping again.

Work your way towards a time that you want to go to bed, stick to that time and have a getting up time too. Repition is key Kathy.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I've tried everything: medication, therapy, Sleepio, meditation, nutrition changes, hypnosis, acupuncture, you name it. After having my son a few years ago, I just can't get more than 5-6 hours of sleep and this leaves me always feeling tired (he sleeps through the night). I tend to wake up early in the morning and I'm still very tired, but can't sleep. I'm not anxious or thinking about anything, just sort of in a daze. Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas on how to work on this?

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hello gmonty. What a shame you don't feel rested especially when you have to deal with young child. Have you tried going back to the dreaded QHR and getting up for a short while and doing something relaxing or boring till you feel sleepy? I wonder also if you are subconsciously listening for your son? I hope this soon gets better for you. Maybe someone else will come up with other suggestions. Lindsay

• Sleepio Member

• 90 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

Hi gmonty – if you were sleeping 'normally' (!) before having your son, am just wondering whether your sleep got disturbed at this point. For instance, for most new mothers you will have been up and down quite a lot at first with feeding etc., and then later with teething or illnesses. For some of us we just become hyper-alert, so I think we get a block of sleep because we are exhausted, but then are 'primed' if you like to get up again if / when 'needed'.

Do you lie in bed when you wake early? Or do you get up? If you lie in bed, do you try doing some relaxation exercises or meditation to see if this will help you fall back to sleep? If you get up do you just get started on the daily chores? (Not sure how 'early' early is!!) or do you do some other relaxing activity? Do you then go back to bed to try to sleep again? And then, although feeling in a 'daze' do you manage to cope during the day?

Sorry I can't offer much more in the way of help based on your post. Please don't hesitate to come back for more help – take care. Rosie x

• Sleepio Member

• 401 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

You have tried many different ways to try and lengthen the amount of sleep you get. I just wondered how long you did each of these therapies for. Sleepio for instance is slow to work but definitely does given the time it needs for each individual and has been proven to work. The only suggestion I can give you would be to go to bed a bit later and see if you wake up later. If you do then stay at that time for a while and then very gradually start going to bed earlier to lengthen the time in bed.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 120 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

Hello gmonty, early wakening when you feel you would like/ need a couple more hours sleep is a very common problem amongst Sleepio members- and not just amongst those of us who became hypersensitised when we had young children.
    Ve and I have both responded very recently to someone else with the same problem who posted on the Ask the Grads discussion. You may like to look at our responses there to see if any of the comments and suggestions there help you at all.

The main thing is not to become fixated on your early awakenings. Thet happen to many of us so can almost be seen as normal. You Amy well find that even with less sleep than you would like you are feeling more rested and are functioning better than before because the sleep you are getting is more concentrated and of better quality.
    Good Luck and keep your spirits up!

• Sleepio Member

• 120 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

Apologies for typos – really should proof read more carefully!

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi gmonty, as OFSS has said, early waking is very common.
    The way I dealt with it was to always apply QHR. However, even if I wake at night, I don't get up for 20 to 25 minutes -- it's cheating a little but it works for me.
    With the early wakings, I try getting up twice and if I'm not sleeping after the second time I, get up and stay up for the day.
    I think that my brain eventually cottoned on to the fact that bed was for sleep. It took a while, but I now only have the odd early waking.
    I have been with sleepio for 36 weeks and I think that I will always have to work at my sleep. I'm sleeping for about 5- 6 hours a night with 3 short wake ups for the loo. I'm older, so it seems to be enough sleep for me!
    Hope this helps and that your sleep improves.
    Megwich
    X

Return to top