How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7601 comments
  • 2300 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 481 comments
    • 164 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Pat, the longer you practice the sleepio rules the better your sleep becomes, at least this is what I have found. I am 2 1/2 years down the track now and my sleep is really good, most nights I sleep straight through. However, I still get the odd blip that doesn't last long, maybe a night or 2.

So my advice would be to continue with Prof's programme. As time goes by the nightly ritual of doing a wind down etc becomes easier. Mine is really easy now, get ready for bed and then back downstairs and 15 minutes before going to bed I sit in the dark and then off to bed. Simples!

Before I had insomnia I rarely got through a night without waking up, although I usually got to sleep again. So doing the sleepio programme has not only helped me overcome insomnia, but also helped me to sleep right through. I always stick with the rules, a wind down and bed at the same time every night.

Keep going with it and hopefully you will further improve your sleep.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Sleepinng far better than I had. But I guess like many the Holidays chnage my schedule significantly. I am going to have to get back on track
    as soon as family heads back to their homes.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

My sleep window is usually 8pm-5:30am, but I wake up between 1am-2am for some reason.

?????

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I completed my six week course a couple of weeks ago. I thought I was doing ok but realised my improvement coincided with taking cold medication. An improvement for me is any sleep at all. For the last five nights I have gone to bed late and exhausted thinking I would get to sleep easily but this has not happened and I've been tossing and turning. I have got up and and gone back to bed umpteen times. I've tried the relaxation but this has never worked for me. I'm considering prescription sleeping tablets as I think my body now sees the morning as sleep time and the night as awake time and I need to retrain it. Melatonin has done nothing to address this problem. I really do not know what else to do.

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

How did you get a sleep window of nine and a half hours? The rest of us get just five. The reason you wake up at 1am or 2am is probably because you have had enough quality sleep. I'd give anything for five hours.

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi, i still take a half sleeping tablet if I can't get to sleep, I finished the 6-week course a few weeks ago, and on the whole I get to sleep more easily than I did, and sleep through probably about 5 out of 7 nights. The odd night I can't get to sleep, and can tell that I'm just not going to, then I take the half Mirtrazpine and go straight to sleep. Considering that until 2 years ago I took a whole one every single night, for several years, I think this is OK. I'm still waiting for the prof to give me a longer sleep window, but as I rarely seem to average better than 75%, it's looking like I'm stuck at this stage. I have to say I've got used to it, and don't mind getting up at 6 – well I often stretch it these dark mornings till the heating comes on at 6.30! – previously in winter I used to lie awake waiting for it to be light. Now I seem not to mind the dark so much once I'm up.

• Sleepio Member

• 481 comments
    • 164 helped
    Graduate

Hi sunnynorth, well done for coming down on that sleeping tablet, you must feel a lot better being able to sleep without taking it. Your next challenge when you are ready, is to try not taking it on a night when you know you are not going to sleep. Do you get up if you cannot sleep? I found by getting up for maybe 15 minutes or so that by the time I got back to bed….and got warm again…I could get off to sleep. This helps to build confidence in your own ability to get to sleep without any sleep aids. But one step at a time, so try that when you are feeling 'brave'.

As for the average sleep of 75%, keep trying and sticking to the rules, I still stick to the rules and my sleep continues to get better. I am 2 1/2 years on from joining and unfortunately part of the 60% of insomniacs who have to manage sleep as opposed to the 40% who go into remission and no longer have sleep problems.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ve
    thanks for your lovely reply. I will try not taking the half st and going back downstairs for a bit next time I can't get to sleep. Mostly, if I'm awake, I don't obey the qhr – because when I did at the start, I found I'd be even less sleepy if I got up. Last night I woke up a couple of times, and just seemed to drift in between, not properly asleep, then when I slept in the hour before the alarm, had nightmarish dreams that meant I felt like death this morning. So I guess I'm still on the 2 steps forward 2 steps back part of the course. It may be I've reached the peak, and like you, it'll be a case of 'managing' my sleep rather than full success. It's really helpful knowing others out there who've experienced similar.

• Sleepio Member

• 481 comments
    • 164 helped
    Graduate

Hi sunnynorth, getting up if you cannot sleep is an important part of the sleepio programme. I didn't get the sleepy feeling that is talked about before going back to bed, in fact I used to stay up for an hour or so waiting for that feeling to come. But when I tried staying up for 15 minutes I managed to get to sleep. I didn't do QHR, I stretched mine out to about 25 minutes, so got up after that time if I couldn't sleep.

So I don't want to nag, but if you are not getting up then you may not reach your full potential.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ve, Yes, I should try getting up again – usually, if I wake in the night, I don't get up because I think it'll wake me up more, and in fact I drift back off to sleep no problem, and have no idea how long I may have been awake. It feels a bit counter-productive to get up, and perhaps jeopardise that return to sleep. I'll definitely try next time I can't get to sleep at the beginning of the time in bed, rather than resort to the sleeping tab., and will see what happens. For the middle-of-the-night wakings, I'm not so sure – I'll see how wide awake I feel next time, Thank you for your help M

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have slept a lot better last night than the last week or so…I relaxed in my hot tub after a good exercise workout and sat by a warm heater so I can get comfy and I fell asleep..was nice to not wake up through the night..

• Sleepio Member

• 481 comments
    • 164 helped
    Graduate

Sounds good mxk, you have a lot ahead of you starting in session 3. I hope it works for you.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I been taking a sleeping pill to finally relax my body and get to better and I have been waking up refreshed except my kids woke me up last night…but honestly I'm not to tired…

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

why is it when I exercise I sleep better and like last night I didn't exercise I'm so tired today….

• Sleepio Member

• 481 comments
    • 164 helped
    Graduate

If you exercise it helps to tire you so you sleep better, especially if you have been out in the fresh air. But it is hard to exercise every day so that makes you feel a bit down and in a can't be bothered sort of mood.

In session 3 Prof will explain all this to you and will put you on a programme to overcome insomnia which will include things like exercise. Sessions one and two are to prepare you for the next stage where you will start learning to sleep again,......which isn't very pleasant but it works.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hello pat, just now seeing your message, sorry for the delay. I always get up once in the night to go to the bathroom, occasionally twice. This has been going on for decades. I stopped trying to fight it. If I try to go back to sleep, but my bladder says no. After a bathroom stop, I’m usually successful in getting back to sleep, as long as the timing of the bathroom visit isn’t too close to my wake up time. If so, I can’t go back to sleep. This happens maybe once or twice a month.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hello MCO, sorry I didn’t check this board for awhile. Yes, I know what you mean, if I have a bad night due to wine with dinner, I’ll do much better the next night. Then, when I have a good night, the next one might be bad. It’s like a see-saw. I do keep notes in the diary to keep track of things that might have helped or hindered sleep, but honestly, most of the time I can’t figure out why it was a bad night, especially if there were no obvious triggers like wine or overstimulation. And I ageee, even the bad nights now are better than the bad nights before Sleepio, and the good nights are several nights a week, instead of maybe one night a year.

• Sleepio Member

• 481 comments
    • 164 helped
    Graduate

Good message Auntie Hoho, glad to read you are doing well. Great not to have to worry about sleep, but it is hard work to get to this point so well done you.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

why is it when you laugh so hard that your side hurts so bad you cant sleep on it and then I get restless…

• Sleepio Member

• 481 comments
    • 164 helped
    Graduate

Haha, oh this is a good question mxk, but it's not a bad problem to have is it, laughing makes you relax. You probably get stitch!!

Ve

Return to top