How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7619 comments
  • 2305 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

ya I finally got to the point were I can exercise everyday and finally sleep thru the night and not be so tired and sore…it probably was because I just started up and I hadn't run or exercised for a couple months….just was a bit for my body to get used to…

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

This sounds just like me--when getting up to make a bladder run and my curiosity seems to be over the top to see the time. I wonder if someone could change the clocks so even though it's actually 4am--I see the time as 1 am if I would easily go back to sleep. I try not to look at the time when up for bathroom runs but I just can't help myself! I've been tracking for awhile now and definitely see a pattern of less restless sleep for the first 1/2 of the night. Trying to change my reading habits--making a deal w/myself to do lights off at 9pm and if I wake up early--get up and READ--instead of Reading until 11p or even 12a.

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Funny, I ageee about the clock trick. I just can’t help myself. Plus, I take a sleeping pill in the middle of the night, usually when I wake around 3 am, to get me through the night. If I take it too early, like if I wake up at 1am, it will wear off long before I want to get up. And if I take it too late, like 4 am, it just doesn’t work at all. It’s all too complicated.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I slept so good and I woke up early and starting running and I got a text message from my ex(my kids dad) saying my son has a swollen jaw than I was so upset and my body was stressed but at the same time I was like I couldn't move at at all..

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Slept badly last night. Does anyone else find relaxation techniques only work once or twice? After a while of not sleeping, I can't help but get really anxious no matter how mindful I'm trying to be.

• Sleepio Member

• 488 comments
    • 176 helped
    Graduate

Hi Xantheb, don't dwell on what doesn't work, keep searching for what works for you. In my early days with sleepio nothing relaxed me and yes some things worked once or twice and then didn't work again.

I always stuck to the rules, going to bed at the right time, getting up if I couldn't sleep, and getting up in the morning at the right time (according to Prof). I think it was repetition of this that eventually got me sleeping.

I used to listen to Progressive relaxation every night, usually before going to bed. Then I tried listening to it in bed. I tried other relaxation tapes, mindfulness, the list just goes on.

Getting out in the fresh air is one of the best, getting a bit of exercise, eating healthily and watching the alcohol consumption and weaning off of sleepin pills.

Being repetitive every night sets a good message to the body clock. It took a long time but well worth it. I still stick to the rules now because I sleep really well and I don't want to have to go through insomnia again.

Sleepio works, keep at it and you will succeed.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 156 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Well the first ‘blip ‘ in a long time last night, quite surprised as with moving I thought it would be a regular thing, in truth it was my tinnitus that was doing it for me most times I can just ignore it but last night it seemed louder and more prominent than ever.

I was pleased with myself as I didn’t succumb to (I haven’t got any stairs now) to getting out of my bed and going to y settee I lay there silently and it must of been an hour before I went off.

The good thing is I didn’t experience any anxiety problems about it as I did in my first time when I joined Sleepio.

Just to let people know if you stick to the ‘profs’ rules like I do most of the time he won’t let you down.

In reality I should of done the 1/4 hr rule at first I used to stretch it to 1/2 hr solely to compensate my tinnitus and it worked for me at the time and you learn what works and what doesn’t.

So good luck and best wishes to all.

Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 488 comments
    • 176 helped
    Graduate

Hi Trevor, those bad nights still crop up occasionally don't they, I had one a few nights ago but that was because I pigged out on food that I know my body doesn't like, serves me right!

But you are right, if you stick with the rules that Prof asks of us, then we will gradually learn to sleep again, and so long as you stick with it, your sleep will get better and better, which is what I have found.

Looking back I can see how it all works and why you have to persevere with it.

So take note everyone.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Over the busy weekend and the less sleep I got or went to bed late I still feel refreshed like I got 8 hours of sleep even thou I exercised and my legs are burning and hurt a little bit…

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Last night I had no sleep. I was sleepy when I went to bed. I got up and did things suggested by the Prof. My sleep has improved with Sleep Restriction, I really thought things were on the up. Yesterday was a good day, but I can’t fathom out why I stayed awake ALL night. How many of you have this problem. Am I alone.? Please help & advise.

• Sleepio Member

• 42 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I'm interested to hear about your sleeping pills. Are they prescribed or over the counter? There definitely seems to be an optimal time to take them. Like you, if I take too early they wear off, too late and no good. Don't know the answer I'm afraid but 12 is probably the best time to take

• Sleepio Member

• 42 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Relaxation has never worked for me. I guess some people find it hard to relax and I'm definitely one of them. I understand completely about the anxiety. No matter how you try to relax it has the opposite effect. If you want to to clear your mind you could try the “the” technique, ie just think of the word the thus blocking everything else. Sometimes works.

• Sleepio Member

• 42 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Finally somebody with the same problem. Many nights I don't sleep at all. I started the course last summer but because I don't sleep in the first place it was impossible for me to restrict it. “How do you restrict NO sleep?” I found myself lying awake in a cold room when I could have been lying awake in a comfy bed. I your no sleep at all is a one off, try sticking with the programme. You can survive on the odd night with no sleep, it's when it become chronic you struggle.

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Hi noddy, I have been tak8ng Ativan. The generic name is lorazepam. It is in the benzodiazepine family. Since it has been linked to Alzheimer’s, i am trying to get off of it. I used to take 1 mg at bedtime, around 11, and another 1 mg when I woke up for the bathroom, around 2-3 am. I gradually reduced both doses. I no longer take any at bed time, but I still need half a mg in the middle of the night. It seems to last 3-4 hours for me, but I think it’s supposed to last longer. In the US, it must be prescribed by a doctor.

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Also, noddy, benzodiazepines are pretty well known for causing dependence and requiring increased doses over time.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I just started week three, I almost had a full night sleep, 89% efficiency, and my body is screaming for more bed time, it's hard. Need a coffee or something this Sunday morning :)

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I also found the restricted sleep week quite tough.
    Although I seem to be sleeping better than some people here.
    I found myself staying awake longer than my earliest sleep time, just to make sure I would go to sleep when I finally went to bed.
    I can't deal with getting in and out of bed just because I am not going straight to sleep within 15 minutes.
    Maybe I should have selected a later bedtime at the start of the week? :)

But in the morning I also adjusted my wake up time to match the sleep time I was expecting. Which seemed to work okay.

So the average night was 90% efficiency. With just one bad 75% night.

After the week I am feeling fairly tired so I'm looking forward to longer sleep this week… If I can maintain 90% efficiency or better I should be okay.

• Sleepio Member

• 42 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I think you are doing OK. My average is about 39%-42% and has been for over six months. 75% would be wonderful.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I am praying for you noddy that you have a restful sleep this and the weeks to come.

Return to top