How Did You Sleep Last Night?

Tossed and turned? Out like a light? However you slept last night: share it here!

Posted 17 Aug 2011 at 3:23 PM
  • 7308 comments
  • 2258 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Snowwy, what most people regard as hard is the hours associated with week three and the SR I think most people find it difficult, yet one or two embrace it, I myself did it and wasn't keen but did it none the less.
    The rest is putting your lifestyle in order which some people don't like changing but is all for your own good at the end of the day.
    Best wishes.
    Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

If you wake at 3 AM Snowwy, prof will be encouraging you to get up for ten minutes or so, make a warm drink or something and then try bed again. You will get past that habit of waking early so just go with the programme as it is given to you.

As for the programme being hard, it just takes us out of our comfort zone. Some find it hard and some don't, but instead of laying in bed tossing and turning because you cannot sleep, by getting up and out of your bedroom will help to break that early wake up. You will be well chuffed with yourself when you start to sleep past that time.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi Ve, thanks for that, I look forward to getting past the 3 am hurdle. Just need to figure out how to get past the sleeping cat in the kitchen to make a hot drink!

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here on the board and have just started my second week of diary keeping. I thought I'd share something I've found to help record my sleep (paper, pencil and torch under the pillow were waking me up more than the dodgy sleep patterns!). It's a sleep app called Sleep Cycle. It's free (whoop) and it tracks your sleep via sound and movement. You don't need it next to your pillow, it works fine next to your head on the bedside table. I used it together with the paper and found its really accurate. What's interesting is that it also tells me when I'm in deep sleep, which is right at the start of my night, then it dips and rises throughout the night. It's actually reassuring because it shows that no two nights are the same and therefore I can hope that my sleep will improve eventually. It also takes away the anxiety of making sure I record accurately for the diary. Hope that helps someone else

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

Ahhhhhh, the cat, another obstacle to get over! Well maybe do something else for 10 minutes and leave the cat out of it.

You could creep into the lounge and listen to Prof's progressive relaxation. Took me a while to get into that but once I did it was really good (sometimes I fell asleep downstairs listening to it…....ssshhhh, don't tell anyone), but listening to Prof is a good habit to get into.

See how you go and let us know if it helps.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for that information Yogamumma, I am glad you have found something to help you. I am not good with gadgets so just used the tools that Prof gave me. As for my first 2 week diary it was hard to fill in because I didn't know if I slept or not so something like you are using would have been good.

I am about 18 months on from joining and sleep quite well now, with the odd blip now and then.

So keep on with the programme and keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Do you think shortening the
    window will hek
    Lo me sleep through the night? Graham

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

If you are going through a bad patch and it isn't settling, it is a good idea to shorten the window Graham. Why don't you try half an hour later and get up half an hour earlier? Or if you prefer try 15 minutes either end.

Make sure you do a good wind down, it is very important. Dim the lights, some people like a nice warm bath, get into your PJ's and relax before bed.

We do sometimes have to listen to our body and do what it is telling us. Let us know how you get on.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Had one of those darn 'blips' last night, was still awake at 3-00am this morning after such a good run of sleep that I've been having it felt like a real pain in the backside, but on a better note it didn't break my spirit and I know I will have a good night tonight.
    Hope you all are getting good sleep.
    Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hi Yogamumma, I'm on my first week of sleep diary and have been using my fitbit to help me. The only problem is because I lie still when I'm awake it thinks I'm asleep.ive just been looking at the SleepCycle apps, there are quite a few. Are you using the SleepCycle-Sleep Cycle Tracker? I've just downloaded it, so will give it a try.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

Hi Xena, yes that's the one, I'm going to try Sleepbot tonite which has good reviews too. Apparently you can click on the wavelengths it produces and it replays the sounds it's recording. That might be enlightening! It's got to be better than then torch/paper/pencil method!

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

Hi Trevor, those blips are a nuisance but something we have to endure occasionally. Maybe there was something on your mind, like Christmas for instance, not long now. But you got through it last year. Hope you sleep tonight.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Ve, yes I had a good night last night slept all night, and didn't need to get up at all, not sure what happened the night before ? They just come out of the blue for no reason and j hadn't done anything different from normal, but my tinnitus was really prominent and it took me a long time to just ignore it, but eventually drifted off.
    Yes Christmas is just around the corner and I'm not looking forward to it at all, really can't stand it, I only tolerate it now for my grandchildren.
    Hope you are keeping ok Ve, and sleeping well.
    Take care.
    Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Well getting to bed was a struggle once i got to sleep i slept ok

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm so pleased: I've had some really decent nights' sleep this week. I've been implementing sleep restriction with a window of 11.30pm to 5.30am and my sleep efficiency has reached close to 90% on most of the days. This is during the week after I have finished week 6 the sleepio course and I guess I wasn't really expecting my sleep pattern to improve further, so just wanted to share my recent success as an encouragement to others!
    I've experienced that even after the end of the course, if I practice the tools and tips, the positive effects and improvements are there. That is going to motivate me to keep going and look forward to some more good sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

What a lovely message Groosy. I feel really pleased for you. Sleepio is really hard to do but the rewards when they start coming are great.

So just keep doing the same routine every night and you will improve even more.

Well done,

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

Hi Kather, glad you got to sleep eventually. It is hard waiting for your bed time, but read Groosy's message above and you will have all that to look forward to.

It is great being able to sleep and I am so glad that I did sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

Hi Trevor, yes Christmas holds bad memories for you over the last couple of years so I can understand how you feel. You got through last Christmas OK. Maybe you will see your little grandchild this year which will take those memories away.

I have left you a message in your profile.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Well a suprisingly better nights sleep last night! Had friend round so went to bed later. However as an early riser (5 am) I would normally start to feel tired but not so last night.
    Also following the profs guidance and cutting out the caffeine. May be a blip, but a nice blip to have :)

• Sleepio Member

• 249 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

You will get many more nights like that Snowwy as you make your way through the programme.

Session 3 is when you start working on your body clock and get your sleep schedule from Prof.

Ve

Return to top