How did YOU discover Sleepio?

I'm interested in seeing how people came to it – from my point of view it was completely accidental and it seems several others were the same.

So: how did you come to join Sleepio?

Posted 23 Feb 2012 at 3:42 PM
  • 86 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I joined Sleepio after my doctor informed me that I needed to attend CBT. I couldn't afford the one that my doctor recommended to me so I looked around online and found Sleepio. After doing some research on it, I decided to join!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

A psychologist friend posted about it on facebook! I am so grateful.

• Sleepio Member

• 686 comments
    • 141 helped
    Graduate

Hi there everyone!

I was lucky enough to be accepted onto the beta testing phase of Sleepio, way back in 2011 after taking the Great British Sleep Survey & scoring terribly. I suffered from insomnia since childhood (over 30 years) & felt as though I had never really learned how to sleep properly since then. I used to have trouble getting to sleep, then wake several times every night, have trouble getting back to sleep & then wake early every morning! I basically was sleep deprived my whole life!

I still remember how amazing it felt to wake up feeling refreshed that first time, when I realised what “normal” people must feel like every day!

Nowadays I tend to have no trouble getting to sleep, unless there is a distraction such as a noise. Even then I can usually meditate myself to the point of falling asleep. I wear earplugs to muffle outside noises & use a daylight alarm clock during the week to wake me gradually. On weekends I wear an eyemask so I can get a bit of a lie-in (I know it's against the rules early on, but I have made such great progress I allow myself a little indulgence!).

Anyone in the early stages of recovery needs to have faith & keep on trying. It was a long road for me with many backwards steps as well as forward ones. I am currently going through a bad patch, but this no longer phases me, as I know I can return to a strict bedtime/get-up routine to resettle myself.

Best wishes to everyone who is struggling, as well as those who have had success. xx

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I work at an Insurance Company and in the newspaper on email Sleepio was suggested for sleep issue individuals. So Here I am. lol

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I found Sleepio by googling insomnia treatment a couple of weeks after my sleep pattern fell apart.
    It was such a lifeline.

• Sleepio Member

• 401 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

I have a doctor living close to me and I mentioned about not being able to sleep to her and she said she was a sleep doctor and I should look up sleepio on the net, so I went home and signed up. It took some time to work for me but I sleep every night now. The community are great, they are a very important part of the course.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

The health system that I utilize sent me an email with a link. I took the initial consultation quiz and qualified for the paid sleep study. I have had long term sleep issues (over 15 years) so I jump at an opportunity to learn more about myself and how I can improve my sleep. I am in week 5 now and have had some improvements from what have learned so far.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

via Progressive Relaxation on the Mental Health Foundation website.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

i work for home depot and we have an annual health challenge. under the sub heading [ balance ] there was a drop down for sleepio. it was a good choice for me to better my sleep pattern . thanks again mjs058

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

well I just tried to look in my search history but couldn't find it… I had googled something related to sleep and there was a link to sleepio in an article. oh I know why, I did it on my phone.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am in the US. From the Pacific Northwest area. I found I was invited to participate in a study about sleep habits and disturbances. So fortunately I was given the opportunity to try sleepio for no cost for 12 weeks. I am eager to see if it works. I have has issues sleeping since I can even remember and it's taking itso toll on me. Just turned 27 and I feel 107. I wish everyone the best in their sleepio adventures!

• Sleepio Member

• 55 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

I found it after watching the Tonight program on TV, there was a link on the website and I applied. My GP had also given me a document to read relating to poor sleep. Colin Espie is one of the names on it. I made the link and the decision to try.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I was looking on the NHS site for Menopause symptoms and found a link to insomnia which I also have. Clicked in that and voila! SLeepio!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello everyone
    I found sleepio after taking part in some online research/trials as I had been having sleep problems for several years. I was reluctant to go to the doctors for help as I kept getting put on anti-depressants and felt that these were making things worse. I was put on Mirtazapine at one stage, and while these made me sleep I felt like a zombie during the day. I didn't feel like doing anything and things reached a head when I seriously thought about giving up work and everything else I had in my life. I thought enoughs enough and decided to come off mirtazapine, what followed was several months of hell were I couldn't sleep and felt s..t!
    During my recovery I started exercising more, eating better, did a mindfulness course and got some psychological therapy. The sleep was still problematic and then I found sleepio, three weeks in and sleep has improved already so I am optimistic that this will continue. I am feeling much better physically despite having periods of overwhelming tiredness due to sleep restriction. Good luck to everyone on the course.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My Dr gave me a prescription for Mirtapazine as I was so tired and I was hitting a 'wall' every afternoon. Even when I had an hour and a half sleep in the afternoon I didn't really function in the evening. I wondered if it was a post viral thing.
    I got the prescription – but – I read the possible side effects – which seemed to promise even more of what I was already suffering, I decided something else had to be done.
    After searching hard and long I found Sleepio. As it seemed to be endorsed by the NHS I signed up.

Although not quite 'fitting' to my problems the daily reminders about the sleep diary and thus concentration on 'me' time seems to be working.

• Sleepio Member

• 96 comments
    • 21 helped
    Graduate

I watched a TV programme “Why Can't Britain Sleep” on catch up, then followed a link which lead me to the Great British Sleep Survey, and hence to Sleepio. I would never have found it through my GP, as you are only given a 10 minute appointment at our surgery, and all they have time to do is prescribe pills.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 120 comments
    • 43 helped
    Graduate

Eternal optimist , I had to tell my GP about Sleepio! Over the last four years four different doctors in our practice had prescribed all the pills available for insomnia- to no avail. In desperation I took to Google and came across Sleepio. But was it just a gimmick? I was wary until a friend admitted she had enrolled and been helped after seeing the same TV programme as you.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

There was an article in the New York Times about insomnia. Sleepio was mentioned in a positive light!
    I'm grateful to have discovered Sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

After many, many frustrating years of often debilitating insomnia with no identifiable physical cause, I first read about Sleepio (as one of many, many programs and gadgets available for the treatment of insomnia) in the NY Times then in The New Yorker magazine and later in Arianna Huffington's book The Sleep Revolution.

Also, I had read many times over the years that the best way to kick or manage long-term or chronic insomnia without drugs was to take a course of cognitive behavioral therapy geared specifically toward insomnia issues. However, that was an expensive option, besides which I never found therapists that specialized in chronic insomnia issues in any of the cities I lived in. So when I read enough mentions of CBT-I related to Sleepio, I checked out the site and then did a research tour of my old friend Dr. Google, which took me to testimonies, scientific studies, statistics, and so forth and I decided Sleepio might just be for me.

And it turns out to have been by far the best thing I have ever done in terms of getting my sleep back to some version of normal. Like many on Sleepio, I have questions (actually, doubts) as to whether I will ever be “cured,” but for me, managing my sleep issues effectively is a hundred times better than the haphazard way I was handling things before.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

After a few years of asking my doctor to prescribe Ambien, I asked her if there was something else I could do to help my sleep issues. I asked her to send me to a sleep clinic. However, she said that is really more for people with physical issues, but mine is mental. Mental, i ask!?! So I asked her how I could deal with it. She said she'd research and let me know. A couple weeks later she said the only scientifically proven method is CBT-I (Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Insomnia). She said I had choices of either attending a live doctor or doing an online program. She recommended I try the online solution. She gave me a few names (Sleepio included) to research as she wanted the selection to be my choice. I really liked the Sleepio “look” and feel of the website, so I chose this one. So glad I did!! I'm on week 5 and really seeing a difference. The sleep restriction is making me tired during the day but I just got 15 minutes added to my schedule. I'm committed to this until I get where I want to be!

Return to top