Helpful external resources to use alongside Sleepio

Hi all members,

Here is a list of resources that many of us have used and have found to really complement Sleepio. Please add your own suggestions to this discussion. Thanks!

Posted 8 Nov 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 26 comments
  • 17 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

The book:

I want to change my life. How to overcome anxiety, depression and addiction. Steven Melemis, PhD, MD

This book focuses mainly on managing stress, tension and negative thinking with a whole section on cognitive therapy. It was recommended to me by the doctor who I consulted with as I was weaning off benzodiazepenes that I had been prescribed for sleep problems 10 years earlier. He is the author. It includes a wonderfully simple relaxation technique which I used for a number of months. The cognitive tools are also very good.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

I have found the Stress Eraser to be very useful for reducing anxiety and producing relaxation. It is a little biofeedback device that gives you points as you breathe properly. It is well worth the initial investment.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Another thing that I have found helpful is neurofeedback. This is a brain training programme that can usually be accessed through a psychologist's office. Neurofeedback has no risks and no side effects, and it can bring up the brain waves that both help you fall asleep and stay asleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1153 comments
    • 246 helped
    Graduate

Two main choices are my best outside resources. Nutrition: We eat local organic foods and try to keep our diet simple and balanced to yield an alkaline base.

Yoga: for strength, flexibility, balance, (all in body and mind), and meditation, peace, energy. It's a total package, adaptable to all, spiritual and gets one in touch with oneself and the whole UNI-verse. It creates measurable changes within and out. Like Sleepio, it transfers to daily life and requires no “stuff” other than oneself!

• Sleepio Member

• 585 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Sleep Restriction and Sleep Window Extension explained:

Anyone with queries about how sleep restriction works and extension times etc. can get very helpful clear advice from the live discussion with Dr. Gwen on Wednesday 13th November 2013 – see tab for that date.

• Sleepio Member

• 54 comments
    • 11 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thank you . Ewa

• Sleepio Member

• 54 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

That is it where can I find it? Ewa

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

I got my Sleep Eraser from Amazon. There may be other places to get it, but Amazon's service is pretty reliable, so I would try them first.

• Sleepio Member

• 54 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

Anyone tried Silva method? Or acupuncture or hypnotherapy together with Sleepio?

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I also have found the mindfulness meditation very helpful – and used the excellent book/cd pack mentioned earlier by Williams and Penman.
    For anyone who has aches and pains that keep them awake – I got a memory foam mattress topper (it sits on top of the normal mattress) and it almost completely abolished the discomfort I used to get in my hips. The only drawback of it is that it does tend to make you hot – there is a special cover you can get for them called a 'space blanket' that counteracts this to some extent. For me its not a problem – I just use a thinner duvet but anyone who suffers from night sweats might find it hard to cope.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, does anyone know where is the place or website to get brainwave entertainment from?

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 252 helped
    Graduate

Hi Lou Lou,
    I have just seen your question about brainwave entrainment on this discussion so I hope you have had a reply before now from elsewhere. My personal experience is that it's not worth bothering with. I tried it years ago and it did nothing for me. A couple people posting on the sleepio site have said it helped them, but within a fairly short time it seems to have stopped helping so it's obviously not the magic bullet some folks hoped for. I came to the conclusion a while back that there isn't an easy or instant solution to insomnia, mainly because what we call insomnia isn't just one thing. It's usually a complex mixture of symptoms, so any approach to help has to have several strands. That's where the sleepio programme wins out as it doesn't rely on just one trick; there are loads of different tools, some of which may not be relevant to you, but somewhere in the toolbox there will be something that will help. Stick with it and trust it. I have been amazed, after over 20 years of bad sleep, how much it's helped me.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Yoga changed my life for the better about 10 years ago. I honestly do not think I would cope without it, I now feel a much calmer, more balanced individual….even if I don't sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

https://www.youtube.com/watch? Here is a link posted by FredHK. It is a BBC clip which provides a good introduction to mindulfness meditation.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I've been doing the headspace mindfullness meditation program and agree with Angie that it's fantastic. I do it once and sometimes twice daily it's really helped me wind down and get control of my busy mind and body. It has a great iPhone app so you can easily use it any time or any place. I can't recommend headspace highly enough!
    RichardB

• Sleepio Member

• 28 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

I've found Jon Kabat-Zinn's books to be tremendously useful (once I actually applied them – I've had them for years!). His CD packs have many different meditations on them – his body scan version is good but I drowse off during it (I wish I had that problem all night long!). I've been using his “Mindful Yoga 1” CD for the past 6 weeks. A yoga instructor gave me something very similar but since it was self-directed I'd do it way too fast and finish in 10 minutes. The directed MP3 forces me to slow, relax and spend about 40 minutes on it. It's definitely helped me with some muscle aches and pains that were making meditation difficult to do.

His “Lake Meditation” is very thought-provoking for me. The idea of keeping yourself centred and calm like the bottom of a lake while the surface is raging above you is something I'm striving to add to my life (I'm typically more on the top of the lake being tossed around by the waves).

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

“The Sleep Book” by Guy Meadows takes a different psychological angle on insomnia and I think works great when combined with sleep restriction.

If you just google around “Buddhism” and “dealing with disturbing emotions” you should be able to find a wealth of info there too.

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I too use the headspace app. I started with the free 10 day programme but now subscribe. When subscribing there is a programme that promotes healthy sleep that you listen to at any time in the day – it does not send you to sleep (well shouldn't but I have been known to use it at night and fall asleep). They also have a routine to use in bed to get to sleep and I do not know yet how it ends – I fall asleep before the end every night. Andy's voice is very easy to listen to and very relaxing. I have tried other mindfulness programmes but the voices have not been easy to listen to.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

My brother in law (who recommended Sleepio to me) asked me to post this recommendation on Trauma Release Exercise (TRE):
    “I did Sleepio some time ago and found it very helpful. It gave me so many tools to manage my insomnia. My whole relationship to sleep changed and I became much more relaxed. Unfortunately I still had insomnia though. Recently I have been doing Trauma Release Exercises (TRE). For some people the word trauma sounds quite dramatic so you could substitute stress or simply overwhelm if that sounds better. Anyway, after 4 months of doing the exercises three times a week and the main tremoring/shaking exercise for no more than 20 mins (whole session takes about 45 mins) I am insomnia free after being plagued for 25 years. Not just that but the quality of my sleep is completely different. Other things have happened too such as a constant non-specific anxiety has gone and a greater sense of well being taken its place. The exercises work to switch off the fight and flight mechanism in our reptilian brain and over time allow it to work as it should rather than be permanently stuck in overdrive. Most of us who have suffered from insomnia know the tired but wired feeling. Well TRE addresses this. As I said it takes about 4-6 months to really bed in, but I felt improvements from day one and slowly the results would last longer and longer until now they are permanent. David Berecelli is the man who stumbled upon it with his work in war torn areas such as Israel and Palestine and has used it to help many people with PTSD. There is a book that explains it all – google his name, but I would recommend being shown once by an experienced provider. Once you have been shown once you can easily do it yourself. Two other resources you might find helpful to go with this are: a book by the forerunner of trauma/stress release, Peter Levine, called Healing Trauma: A Pioneering Program for restoring the Wisdom of you body; and another book, in cartoon style but really helpful in its simplicity is Trauma is Really Strange by Steve Haines. Again, dont be put of by the word trauma – trauma simply means overwhelm which most of us with insomnia are. Once the system is overwhelmed the reptilian brain gets stuck in a cycle that is endless. Exercises like TRE and those found in the two books help to break the cycle permanently and bring a natural calm and healing in the body.”

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

I got this (below) in my inbox today from Positive News and found the website (google Action for Happiness) effectively a CBT resource plus relationship – an international community, with local groups and some places running courses. Really worth a look and much of it donations/ what you can afford only.

“Choosing happiness

As happiness organisations emerge from being unGoogle-able to forming an international movement, critics have dismissed their ability to deliver true contentment. But the continually expanding Action for Happiness has other ideas, and even His Holiness the Dalai Lama is a fan, writes John-Paul Flintoff”

And just want to acknowledge your post ekeller, looks really useful.

I have not been using the site for some time and must apologise to anyone who has messaged me as I haven;t had the alerts come to my inbox – Happy New Year Trevor!

Best wishes all

Return to top