Getting the Best out of Sleepio

Looking at the range of ways we can enhance our Sleepio experiences. We graduates will have a range of ideas, no doubt!

I feel I went through the early course rather mechanically and wasn't aware of, didn't keep on top of all the printed information or the CD downloads.

I'm a graduate of the early course, and am grateful to have the opportunity to keep recording my sleep and have access to all the videos and new information coming on stream now.

I feel that access to all that Sleepio offers is certainly worth revisiting. I've decided I'm going to print out nearly all of the articles and highlight the information appropriate to me. If I set up a plastic sleeved folder I can look at helpful information when I'm not on line.

Posted 23 Apr 2012 at 9:04 AM
  • 60 comments
  • 23 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Suella – thank you so much for putting this very positive and helpful discussion thread up – I am finding it so helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 186 helped
    Graduate

Have just visited the Prof on green button, (my session not due till 14th) and gone over quite a few topics, which has helped to renforce sessions previously learnt but not quite taken in.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Thanks to you all for trying out the various features of Sleepio that weren't necessarily self-evident.

Do you have any questions on using the program or the site that would make a useful FAQ? Post them here and/or on the FAQ page please. They may stimulate more thoughts of this nature

Thanks!.

Either

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I wonder if there are a set of tick boxes or something at the very beginning that we fill in which might be sharpened or modified further as we go along. For instance I thought I was frustrated and lacking some control at the very beginning, but soon learned enough to know that some of my concerns were no longer relevant. I would have liked to be able to change that goal part way through so I would have had something relevant to work towards in my weekly reports to the Prof.

There could have been other issues that I might have been able to mentally work on if I had other options to review. I wonder if that is possible?

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I've also just realized that Peter has already done some very useful How to articles. These would certainly be useful under a How to get the best of Sleepio section for both newbys and graduates who didn't take it in the first time around. Thanks Peter!

• Sleepio Member

• 66 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

I've just completed the 6 weeks course, and am a new graduate. |I've just had my 7 week appt with the prof, and it was quite disappointing – no new insights or goals; I suppose that means that the 6 weeks is aimed at giving me all the tools I need. Clearly, I need to use what I've learned and apply everything..,, I think, from this point, I'm going to be drawing on the experience and experise of the community….!!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

MargotC, you have had a great Sleep Efficiency score in your course I understand. Well done!

It is now a matter of practicing what it was that worked so well for you over the next 6 weeks. We can continue to re-visit the prof for a “7 week review”, building up our sleep record, and being given an extra 15 minutes the weeks we are over 90%. We don't have to take it of course once you have a sound threshold and waking time.

SR and consistency is the key here, but life happens and there will be times that some nights are not as good as others.. The experience of other grads here should help to make any intermittent or sudden problems more understandable in the larger picture of things.

There will be new articles and videos coming out as well as the recent peer reviewed article on early sleepio work, so a lot to investigate and consider. It took me longer than the 6 weeks Sleepio course to work out shy I had some not-so-good nights. And I'm still gaining information perspectives to help me sleep even more soundly.

• Sleepio Member

• 66 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your reply Suella. I think you're right in that I need to see what is working, and then building on that. This week, I'd 5 good nights in a row. By day 6 I was feeling really tired and went off to bed at 1030. Big mistake! I was then awake at 1230!! Tonight I won't be making that mistake. I'll follow the routine of what worked for the 5 days…
    I'm encouraged that it took you longer than the 6 weeks – ie. I'm not alone!
    I'm just about to start some relaxation, switch off tv etc, then crawl into bed. At least it's cooler tonight, so that's good!
    Thanks again for your encouragement.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

further thought on this thread is that it would be helpful to get an email reminder if people post on our own profile. – Maybe I should post this on bugs and ideas too.

Maybe we could also generate some kind of tick sheet that would help us sometimes to analyse what went well when we have a particularly good night or bad night – not sticking to the regime as a tag on the diary may not be enough.

Margot C I have left a post for you on your profile.

suella – thanks again for being so helpful and encouraging.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 7 helped
    Session 3

I am new to the Sleepio program and definitely want to get my money's worth. I feel like I have a fairly decent understanding of how the site works and all of the information and tools that are available to me. I do have several questions about how the 6 week course works though. After graduating will I have continual use of the community and sleep tracking functions or will I have to pay indefinitely to continue use?

• Sleepio Member

• 61 comments
    • 19 helped
    Graduate

Just joined Sleepio today. I really want to make the most of it. I am unsure what the best package for me ti purchase is and was wondering what the general consensus around here was on that? I currently have a one week free trial because I have a Jawbone Up. I am very interested in this course and hope to overcome my dependance on sleeping medication, work out a reasonable sleep schedule, and be able to fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time. I have been dealing with my sleeping issues for far too long and would really like to be able to sleep normally and be well once again.

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ddire, re continuing Sleepio, I think you will have signed up for 12 weeks so there are 6 weeks after graduating. Many graduates then accept an invitation to greet and encourage new users which gives extended use of the site without further charge. Obviously this may have to change but applied when I graduated in august. I am also replying as this is a useful thread that has fallen into disuse, to get it back in hte active list.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hi Folks,
    I just started the program. I am very confused about the seminars that are given online!

? A time is given a time, but not a time zone. I live in Minnesota, USA. I can't figure out when I should be watching.

?? When I read the transcript (on my iPad) the exchange stops after about 10-15 comments. Do I need to do this on my computer?

??? Is that online lecture a video feature or just instant messaging.

The instructions / directions around this are non-existent. I am just in week 1, maybe I am jumping the gun and I'll learn about in my 2nd lesson with The Prof?

Please advise – thanks so much. I'm all motivated, so want to take advantage of what's available.

• Sleepio Member

• 92 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Hi Hazard. You should see a yellow banner at the top of your page that gives you the time of the live chat in your time zone. It starts at about 7pm GMT, so earlier in the day for you. You can use you ipad (I do) and there's no video, just posts like this. Hope that helps and good luck with the rest of your Sleepio course.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Interesting!
    I agree. New at this.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to share How I improve my sleep from 0 to 40% to 80 to 90%. I have a history of Anxiety and panic attack and most nights I get no sleep or very little sleep.
    The main reason for my post is to share my experience and maybe it would help improve sleep for others.
    Here some of the things that I am doing to calm me down and let me sleep:
    1) TM ( transedental meditation)20 minutes in am 20 minutes pm
    2)Using Sleepio tracking my sleep patterns
    3)Omega 3 vitamin 3,000 mg in the am
    4)D3 vitaming 3,000 IU in the am
    5)Empowerplus Advanced Multi-Vitamin from true hope one pill in am and 1 pill in pm.
    6) Pharma Gaba( it has made a big different) is a Gaba supplement, it must be Pharma-Gaba( synthetic Gaba does not work as well) 2 pills(200mg 15 minutes before bed time with tall glass of water)
    I am not an md or a proffesional just wanted to share and help with this information.
    Lui

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Sadly, the Sleepio program froze and stopped working on my computer, and I could not finish taking the first week's quiz. I have written Sleepio to ask what to do now. I would appreciate knowing if anyone else has had this problem. I just signed up for the course about an hour ago. I am disappointed it has not worked so far. Annabell

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 249 helped
    Graduate

Hi Annabel,
    Did you email to hello@sleepio.com? If so, the admin team should be back in touch soon.
    I used to do my weekly sessions with an ipad, which kept getting stuck and was slow, but it did eventually work its way through the process. I think I didn't have the most up to date operating system. I think you can go back and finish a session you haven't completed, so do tray logging on to the first session again.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

Annabel, I agree with Marie Elaine. You can try logging in again (perhaps after restarting your computer) and if it doesn't work, email hello@sleepio.com. They have been very helpful when I've encountered problems.
    Caterpillar

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I'm coming to the end of my 12 weeks with the Sleepio programme. At the moment I don't feel the need to extend this, although will miss recording my sleep diary each morning. However my Fitbit device will also do this, and buying this has been one of the bonuses, as I had not known about these tracking devices 3 months ago. The Fitbit has also motivated me to 'step up' so to speak by calculating my steps and which of these are considered 'active'.
    I have found the Sleepio programme really helpful. I have suffered chronic sleep problems for 40 years on and off, but the programme has made me feel much more relaxed about going to bed and getting to sleep through the disassociation of bed for other activities, such as reading. I do have to get up because of the 15 mins rule on occasion, and still find managing the time till going back to bed difficult, but have found listening to music to be the most passive activity then.
    However it is not winter, and being awake in the night when it is cold is notpleasant, as I well remember, so I hope that the improvements continue once it is winter again.
    I have used the relaxation techniques to get to sleep regularly, and I have also found that deep breathing in and out in itself seems to be beneficial. My average sleep has extended from less than 5 hours per night to 6.5 hours, and I am very conscious during the day that I have more sustained levels of energy.
    My GP suggested that I have a look at Sleepio, so i am very grateful to her.

Return to top