General chit chat

I thought this would be a good place to talk about anything off topic, just generally have a chat about anything, to save other discussions being overloaded and keep them free for purpose

Posted 24 Oct 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 91 comments
  • 24 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Does anyone have any experience using a weighted blanket to help with their insomnia? Please let me know if you have any reviews, positive or negative.

• Sleepio Member

• 70 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Thought you might like an update:

My cast finally came off yesterday, in more intense pain like when it was fractured back in Feb. My bones in my wrist completely healed but, soft muscle between the bones needs to continue to heal wlith two – three months of therapy.

• Sleepio Member

• 70 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Happy Mother's Day to all our ladies in the group!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello. I am had a hard time filling out my stupid diary for Saturday. I was trying to tell the stupid thing that I went to bed 10:30pm, fell asleep 10:45pm, woke up around 1:30am and was not able to go back to sleep! But the stupid thing kept telling me my diary was incomplete. BS! Does any1 have advice on how 2 complete the thing?

• Sleepio Member

• 370 comments
    • 224 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hello Maritza, and welcome to Sleepio. I’m a grad, and totally understand that the sleep diary can be confusing at times. Here ya go:

The diary asks the following questions,

What time did you get in to bed? 10:30.

What time did you try to fall asleep? 10:30? Or another time?

How long did it take you to fall asleep? 15 minutes, if you’re saying that you fell asleep at 10:45.

How many times did you wake up in the night? If you give a number, it will ask how long you were awake. The assumption is that you did eventually fall back asleep. In your case, you didn’t fall back asleep. Let’s just say zero times. It will make sense in a second.

What time was your final awakening? 1:30, since you say you didn’t go back to sleep.

What time did you get out of bed for the day? If you got out of bed right away at 1:30, then your sleep efficiency number will be high. A higher sleep efficiency number means that you were mostly sleeping while in bed. On the other hand, if you woke up at 1:30 and tossed and turned while awake until, say, 7 am, you will have a very low sleep efficiency number. The idea behind Sleepio is to be asleep while in bed, not tossing and turning, not reading, not on your phone, etc.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 370 comments
    • 224 helped
    Graduate

Hello Maritza, and welcome to Sleepio. I’m a grad, and totally understand that the sleep diary can be confusing at times. Here ya go:

The diary asks the following questions,

What time did you get in to bed? 10:30.

What time did you try to fall asleep? 10:30? Or another time?

How long did it take you to fall asleep? 15 minutes, if you’re saying that you fell asleep at 10:45.

How many times did you wake up in the night? If you give a number, it will ask how long you were awake. The assumption is that you did eventually fall back asleep. In your case, you didn’t fall back asleep. Let’s just say zero times. It will make sense in a second.

What time was your final awakening? 1:30, since you say you didn’t go back to sleep.

What time did you get out of bed for the day? If you got out of bed right away at 1:30, then your sleep efficiency number will be high. A higher sleep efficiency number means that you were mostly sleeping while in bed. On the other hand, if you woke up at 1:30 and tossed and turned while awake until, say, 7 am, you will have a very low sleep efficiency number. The idea behind Sleepio is to be asleep while in bed, not tossing and turning, not reading, not on your phone, etc.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dear Tia Hoho,

I say tia bcuz that's Spanish 4 Aunt or Auntie and I like 2 stay true 2 my Puerto Rican roots. Anyway thanks ever so much 4 the awesum and great advice about the sleep diary. It most certainly helped me and I no now how to fill it out, especially when I have little 2 no sleep whatsoever. Muchas gracias and Dios de bendiga!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Anyone know how the daily “sleep quality” statistic displayed at the bottom of the sleep diary is calculated?

• Sleepio Member

• 370 comments
    • 224 helped
    Graduate

It has been awhile since I’ve completed the diary, but I believe that one of the last questions you are asked is How would you rate the quality of your sleep? And you check excellent, good, fair, poor, etc.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I am not sure if this is the right section for this.

How do you all manage all these changes without spouses being negatively effected? My wife is aware of my sleeping issues, but I haven't sat her down and explained the whole SR part of CBT-I.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 370 comments
    • 224 helped
    Graduate

Yes, definitely include spouses and other household members in Sleepio. Let’s just pretend that you’ve had a medical issue, like a broken leg, that will affect your days and nights for a few weeks, a few months, or longer. They need to know what you’ll be going through, and how they can help.

Some sleepios have found it helpful to sleep apart from their partners temporarily until their sleep settles down.

Your family may want to know ahead of time that sleep restriction may make you, um, the tiniest bit cranky, or maybe a little more than that. You might require silence and or cold and or darkness while you’re trying to sleep. You might want to restrict alcohol, which could be an issue if your spouse, like mine, collects wine. Etc.

Your wife may want to know as much as possible so that she can be a part of your success, being supportive and making helpful suggestions.

Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Can anyone tell me what the purple line in graphs represents? It doesn't seem to be sleep efficiency, which should be out of 100. The grey and blue blocked areas show time in bed & time asleep. Can't work out what the purple line shows.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Hi Suellalan,
    I think it corresponds with the numbers on the right hand side of the graph…which to me represents what I write down as how I felt the night had gone. My purple line has gradually got steeper and since March/April, has been at the top end of the scale. I have been having much better quality sleep (for me).
    If I’m wrong, I don’t know what it is for 8))
    You could ask the tech peeps by email on the 'contact us' button at the bottom of each page.
    Hope this helps!
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 121 comments
    • 42 helped
    Graduate

It is definitely your sleep quality score. I usually mark most nights as “fine” which gives a score of 5/10 but was a bit restless last night so rated it as “poor” which scores 2.5/10. So on the sleep chart there is a resulting dip. You can see the numerical scores on your diary summary page with the bar chart on it. They appear at the bottom of each day’s bar and in your weekly average. All in the exact same shade of purple

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

what do you guys do when u cant sleep but are bored as all hell

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Has anyone received their Yeti mug yet after completing the first session?

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Ha suka,
    Jigsaws, crossword puzzles, word searches and even reading a boring washing machine manual! These are some of the things I’ve done in my wind down session as well as crocheting blankets and twiddle muffs for dementia patients and beginners tai chi….to keep myself from falling asleep on the settee.
    You’ll need to find things to do for your own wind down session, then leave them out to come back to if you wake up and move from the bedroom to your prepared space. The other thing I used to do (I don’t have to get up in the night very often now thankfully) was listen to gentle music or the Palouse mindfulness meditation body scan…it’s about 30 minutes long and helps me to relax and get the sleepy-tired feelings again, then sneak back to bed carrying that sleepy feeling with me.
    Hope this helps.
    (Btw – you need to find things for during the night that are not going to wake you up even more and stay in the dimmest light possible and no eating or drinking or you’ll train your brain to be fed during the night when you need to be asleep!)
    Best sleepio wishes
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Well, Mosinee, this is a new one! Haven’t heard of a Yeti mug – the only reward at the end of the programme is better quality sleep! <80))
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hello people.

Does anyone want to talk about Decaff tea and coffee please?

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

They both have some caffeine in them. I only drink coffee when I'm traveling, and it's never decaf. I do drink some naturally low caffeine tea, as well as decaf. I avoid them late at night, but have a later cut-off for them than any teas of which I can feel the caffeine. I'm quite sensitive to caffeine.

Return to top