General chit chat

I thought this would be a good place to talk about anything off topic, just generally have a chat about anything, to save other discussions being overloaded and keep them free for purpose

Posted 24 Oct 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 55 comments
  • 16 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Good luck with getting pregnant! No wonder you want to stop those pills. In the meantime, in case you are looking for info, here's a great website: www.motherisk.org

Angie

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, Angie. Not for sure going to start trying yet. Need sleep fixed first! Maybe first part of next year if all goes well. Just another thing insomnia has taken from me.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I wonder whether poor sleep is a cause of personal probs or the symptom? I naturally pick up on things more than a lot of people, and that effects my sleep. But it's hard to change that side of me that naturally picks up on things.

The one thing I found has helped overall, which also led to starting Sleepio, is to take charge of my life and become proactively more organised. For this to happen however was not simply as a result of some self-help 'just do it' approach.

But recognizing that I had unconsciously picked up on emotionally dependent attitudes which made me organised in a reactive way. Once I'd sorted out the emotionally dependency, which took many years but finally clicked just a few months ago, I started to get organised!

PS: Hope that insight is helpful to someone.

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

where is the dealing with other illnesses alongside insomnia topic? I was sent a link for it twice by email and each time it just takes me to the home page for community and the same happened when I searched the title and clicked on that link. I have searched through the discussions and still can't find it.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone, before I say anything I don't wish to offend anyone but this is my second week being a member of Sleepio and I can't help but notice how quiet the discussion boards are.
    Looking though the discussions are either very old or just comes to a halt, I've never been on such a quiet site.
    I wonder if there is just a lack of members or everyone is so tired that they can't be bothered.
    If you're out there please come and say hi, I'm feeling really lonely. X

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 252 helped
    Graduate

Hi there Petalangel,
    You're right, the site has been quiet for a while, and not many new members are posting. I don't know why that happens, but I think your guess is as good as any, that people are too tired! This is a funny time of year as well, with daylight rapidly disappearing and clocks going back, and weather getting colder. I think all that makes our moods dip, and probably makes us close in a bit more. I haven't been on the site for awhile as life has been so busy, trying to get all the day's jobs done while there is still some daylight, then getting a stinky cold.

I've noticed that some new members haven't had a welcome greeting from anyone, so they may not join in the discussions. If you pick up on someone new posting on their profile, so it comes up on the rolling banner, try replying to them direct and encouraging them to join in – you'd be doing them a good turn as well as boosting up the activity here.
    Hope you are getting on ok, I see you are in week 2, when things do seem to progress slowly or not at all but the pace will pick up in week 3 and you'll really get into the hard work then. Keep in touch!

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Hi Petalangel yes it is fairly quiet as I wrote on one of the sites the other week , I myself had a problem not axactly to post my comments ? I know there are different postings for different categories but searching around makes it a little harder. Hope you do well with the course sticking with it will be hard but worth it eventually so stick with the prof and his dog and you will be fine ! Best wishes and good sleep.
    Trevor.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi Anne Marie and Trevor thanks for the reply beginning to think I'm the only person here! I agree Trevor the boards on this site are really complicated and not at all intuitive! Actually the team had to move my original post to even get it here. The boards need to be easier to get around, I posted several to myself at first, crazy. Maybe that's what's happening, people are posting on the wrong place, not getting a response and giving up. Shame because active boards are what make a good site.
    As for sleep it's getting much worse, I've been staying up later to make sure that I'm tired, sort of preparing myself for SR but this morning I was still awake at 4.30. My hubby let me sleep until 10.30 as he can see I'm almost at breaking point.
    I'm a bit disappointed with the advice from the Proff, I know there's not a magic cure but all the goals I had to sign up to this week, like changing rooms and darkening the room is all stuff I'm already doing.
    Hey Anne Marie I will keep an eye on the banner for newbies. X

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Hi Petalangel it takes a few weeks before everything starts to get really hard as in week three and the sleep reduction but it is like a jigsaw ? Put the pieces in and you'll get the picture in the end . But stay with the prof and his dog and you will not go far wrong . The course has really helped me with my sleep problem I don't know what I would I would of done without it and some of the really helpful people in the community. All the best and good sleep .
    Trevor.
    PS. I hope I can find you're next posting ? ( Joke ) .

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I've just completed the course, but intend to fully stick with it and keep recording my diary and use the techniques learned. SR took me about 10 days to get used to, but now I barely think about it. My sleep has been a bit up and down, and I think I've had about 3-4 bad nights over the past 20 days. However my sleep efficiency is up from 38% at the start of the course to 64% now (it was over 70% but 2 bad nights in a row knocked it down. However I'm now sleeping about an hour extra per night on average, up from 2.5-3 hours per night to almost 4hrs per night. Some nights I've slept 6 hours which is a big improvement.

Hope that helps anyone starting the course and struggling a bit. I think in the next 2-3 months I will hit my personal target of 5-5.5 hours per night.

Good luck everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 252 helped
    Graduate

That's brilliant progress, dark raven, and a real encouragement to others who are struggling with the early days of the programme. Like many people, I found that I made the biggest improvements in the weeks and months after graduation, so I'm sure you will do that too.
    Thanks for such an uplifting post!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have had insomnia for several years now and I believe that my work schedule plays a HUGE factor in it. I have Mondays off, Tues/Wed/Thurs I work either 8am-8pm or 9am-9pm with alternating weekends (about every 3rd weekend I work. I can't seem to wind down til like 1 am and I get up at 5:45 am everyday. Any suggestions????

• Sleepio Member

• 49 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Between which times is your sleep window? If you're only on week 3, I would expect things to be rather bumpy as you describe.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Well when I use to work midnights 20 years ago I was in heaven. I could not make the money that I make on dayshift so where I make good money i lack good sleep. wow

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Wow this is deep. I seem to have to much life to live in such a short period of time and I now have an online job which requires a lot of webinars and income producing activities to do after my day job. Your post helps me think though.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Wow this is deep. I seem to have to much life to live in such a short period of time and I now have an online job which requires a lot of webinars and income producing activities to do after my day job. Your post helps me think though.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hello,
    I'm new here and I am thankful for the opportunity. I have high hopes this program will help me with my issues. Eight years is too many! Mine started when I got on night shift. I am a morning person, always have been. Well… I was a morning person. Now I am a grouchy, restless night owl. I wish you all many hours of restful sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 250 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

How are you getting on shopgirl? I hope you have found sleepio helpful.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I'm back on Sleepio as had to stop 18 months ago when my mum got ill and I was travelling between Ireland & UK to look after her. Sadly she passed recently and my sleeps gone crazy. So, here I am back to try get my sleep and life back! As I'm feeling the result of no sleep/poor sleep hitting me.

• Sleepio Member

• 250 comments
    • 76 helped
    Graduate

Very sad about your mum, I know how you feel as both of my parents have died. It does leave a big hole in life when we lose parents and it is bound to upset your sleep routine. Allow yourself to grieve UrsieT and in time the pain lessens and life goes on. Do your best with what Prof asks of you. Your mum will want you to sleep, so try and think of the good times you spent with her and know that she is no longer in any pain and is at rest.

Best wishes

Ve

Return to top