Fitbit tracking device

I bought a Fitbit tracking device as I found that manually keeping a sleep diary was keeping me awake. It's been really effective for filling in my sleep diary.

There are two sleep settings normal and sensitive and I've been using sensitive for the last two weeks and I'm now not sure whether I should be using that setting. Fitbit say:

The normal setting counts significant movements such as rolling over as being awake, and is appropriate for most users.
The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

Which should I be using. I've been wearing the tracker on my wrist and sensitive is showing that I wake up 8-13 times a night. However, I'm not aware of being awake more than once or twice a night. I'm currently into 3 days of the session 3 Pro-sleep schedule.

Posted 25 Sep 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 114 comments
  • 34 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Just got a Fitbit and it has enabled me to sleep better as don't have to worry about how long I'm awake etc. Love it. But when I imported data the first time this morning it put the data into today and not last night. Any idea how to rectify this? Many thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I bought a Fitbit last week specifically because it could upload sleep data to Sleepio. I've kept a sleep diary for over a decade, writing down when I take my meds, when I go to bed, an estimated time of falling asleep, when I wake up, how long I'm awake, if/when I fall asleep again, what time I get up etc. In my experience so far, the Fitbit Inspire HR that I got corresponds quite accurately to my notes. Sometimes it claims I was asleep when I'm pretty sure I was awake, but this is not news to me.

I've done several polysomnography tests, where they glue electrodes to your head and measure brain activity as you sleep, and the first time I did it I had the same thing happen. I was told that I was asleep when I was pretty sure I was awake. The doctors told me that in a particular state of half-sleep, you are aware of your surroundings as if you're awake, but you're really not, and reality and dreams mix, lucid dreams. Knowing this, I think I now know when this happens to me, and sometimes, if I'm just the right kind of sleepy, I can realise that I'm in a dream, and control the direction the dream is heading. This doesn't always work, but I do find it comforting to know that I am in fact dreaming.

Um, sorry, got off on a tangent there. I must be tired. Point being, my Fitbit seems to be pretty accurate on the default setting. It may be different for you. But the Fitbit has another benefit as well, which is vaguely related to sleep. As a computer science nerd, I love numbers and graphs, and the Fitbit sure plays on that to trick me into doing more exercise, thus making me more tired and sleepy.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I too use a fitbit but and have it synched to my diary but find I need to adjust the readings manually quite often. I have it on the normal not sensitive setting but it will often record meditation as sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

It is a known fact that Fitbit sleep monitoring is not accurate enough. I gave up on it as it always told me that I had an hours less sleep than I knew I had had. Made me feel worse! ha….ha..

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have a Fitbit Charge 3, I don't believe it has a sensitive setting. I find that it's not very accurate but still helpful. I have a pad and pen by my bed and write down when I get in bed and when I first try to go to sleep. Also any sleep tags I for the next day. I let the Fitbit fill in my information then I have to go in and correct most of it but it's good when it comes to general tracking and saying how many times and how long awake for. However the biggest use is figuring out how long it took me to go to sleep. Using what I wrote down vs when the tracker says I'm asleep.

The biggest complaint with it and this is more of a tracker issue is if in bed watching TV and it thinks you're asleep. A few similar issues with the waking up. It filled in the got out of bed time when it hadn't even turned that time yet. Say it's 8:30 but put got out of bed at 8:45. So it's always good to pay attention to what it's filling in.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 2

I have a fit bit; I have linked it to Sleepio and synch before I access sleepio but no data is being downloaded. Disappointing. I can see others have succeeded. I am computer literate so rarely have problems like this!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Did you try the import tab. Sometimes my info is imported after I open the Fitbit app on my phone, but sometimes I have to press the import info from Fitbit tab. (I think that's the title). Hope this helps. I'm just in my first week and the fitbit is definitely more accurate then the information I would be entering!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

I'm at the end of my first week and I'm using my Fitbit to track my sleep. I have to tweek the information each morning after it imports. There's an area on the Fitbit that shows your sleep score with a number (last night mine showed as 79 & Fair) Do you normally keep the sleep quality rating? I feel that I slept poorly so I marked it as poor. I'm hoping this changes in the upcoming weeks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I would not use fitbit for sleepio as it is so unreliable. Before now I have got up, gone down stairs, read a book for half an hour and returned to bed. In the morning the fitbit said I was in light sleep the whole time. Rubbish in rubbish out. For me using a fitbit would simply generate rubbish which would negate the benefits from the course.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

I finally figured out why I couldn’t import sleep data from Fitbit — you have to do it from the Sleepio website when you’re logging your sleep diary. There’s a button for it on the top right.

On the other hand, I don’t see a way to do it from the iPhone app at all, which is frustrating. Please don’t assume the website is the primary interface. I would rather use the app for everything, and I’m sad that it has features missing.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 184 helped
    Graduate

Hi RadGirl123
    I have left you a welcome message and response on your profile page.
    Email the User Happiness Team on the Contact Us button at the bottom of this page to tell them about your concerns for the Fitbit, and I’m sure someone will help.
    Best sleepio wishes!
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello which is the most accurate sleep tracking device? I have an HONOR Band 5-20D but I'm not sure how accurate it is as it thinks I'm asleep when I'm sitting relaxing in the evening.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I was using my FitBit for sleep tracking but I think it gives me performance anxiety--“What will this awful night look like in the morning?” It will also lie about how much sleep I've had, which makes me resentful. If the FitBit says I've slept so long, why do I feel so terrible?

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

I have a Fitbit Versa2. Use it all the time. For the sleep tracking, as several of you have said, it thinks you are asleep when you are reading, watching Tv, mediating etc. I found the best way Is to check it when I wake up. I adjust the start and end times and I mentally check what I think is reasonably accurate in terms of getting up – how many times and for how long. I also check my steps as that is proof of when I actually got up In the night.
    I also have read that The sleep sensitivity setting Is irrelevant if your Fitbit has a heart rate monitor as it uses that rather than the sensitivity setting.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hello I've currently got a free subscription to FitBit premium which gives slightly more sleep tracking information/detail – still the accuracy issues of course!

Do any of you use the premium version and do you think it's worth paying for – for the sleep tracking rather than the other features. I'm not particularly impressed by the rest of it but would be prepared to pay while I'm doing sleepio if the extra sleep features make a difference!

Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

While I manually record my time in bed in the Sleepio ap, I also include daily notes on my nightly Fitbit readings. Since I have a health issue that causes me to wake and get up more than 8 times every night, I find that the Fitbit score actually provides a better measure of whether I have had a good or bad night than the sleep efficiency score provided by Sleepio. My Fitbit measures REM and Deep Sleep time to measure “good, fair or poor” sleep (I don't think I have every managed “excellent”!). On days when I get up feeling more tired, I have noted that regardless of how “efficient” my sleep has been, I haven't spend as much time in dreaming or in deep sleep states. Could Sleepio please comment on the need for a range of sleep states.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 3

I bought an Amazfit quite a while ago, specifically to track my sleep which it does really well.
    I've seen I can't sync mine, which is a shame. I'm not changing it to a fitbit though when I'm quite happy with what I've got. I'll have to do it manually for now, you never know they might add more on soon!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I signed up to Sleepio in December 2020 and just started to use my Fitbit data ( my Xmas present). I realized I was sleeping better than I thought when I did the manual diary. So I'm not such a bad sleeper after all!. I'm not too sure what to do with the light sleep / deep sleep / REM sleep information. I know that deep sleep is very important for recovery, REM is important for mental agility and memory. But what can I do with this information? Can I influence those patterns? Has anyone experienced this?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi Luruby, I also have the Fitbit premium version ( you get it for free for a month. It really helped to realise I slept better than I thought. Light sleep is 50% of our sleep. Deep sleep is very restorative, supports your immune system, creativity, insightful thinking. REM (dream) is essential for your cognitive functions, it helps your brain structures the information stored inside. As we get older, we lose our ability to enter into REM sleep but also deep, restorative sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have completed my diary entries for Sleepio both manually and more recently using a Fitbit Inspire. On balance I find using the Fitbit helps more than it hinders. Although from the start I found that to get what I thought was an accurate record I often need to adjust the Fitbit data, but not usually by that much

Occasionally when meditating the Fitbit will show me as being asleep but mostly I have to change the number waking episodes: using the normal setting for me Fitbit almost always shows 8 + waking episodes. By trial and error, after comparing the Fitbit data to my own notes/recollections for a few weeks, I have settled on only accepting the waking periods of 10 minutes or more recorded by the Fitbit which 'feels' right to me in terms of both the number of times I was truly awake and the overall duration of sleep.

Return to top