Fitbit tracking device

I bought a Fitbit tracking device as I found that manually keeping a sleep diary was keeping me awake. It's been really effective for filling in my sleep diary.

There are two sleep settings normal and sensitive and I've been using sensitive for the last two weeks and I'm now not sure whether I should be using that setting. Fitbit say:

The normal setting counts significant movements such as rolling over as being awake, and is appropriate for most users.
The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

Which should I be using. I've been wearing the tracker on my wrist and sensitive is showing that I wake up 8-13 times a night. However, I'm not aware of being awake more than once or twice a night. I'm currently into 3 days of the session 3 Pro-sleep schedule.

Posted 25 Sep 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 38 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

it's common or that even for a good night's rest, think about how well you slept though as another indicator that you are getting quality sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Week2 ish..
    I find it counter intuitive to use a sleep diary. I fill in after I get up. Some years back I trained out looking at the time at night as a non-productive move.
    Add to this accuracy – I realistically have poor accuracy on assessing how long I take to go to sleep. I like the concept of Que sera sera – low stress. I used to pile on negative sleep thoughts and frustrations and have to work through distracting – detoxing – but that would have been 7-8 years ago.

Anyway the long and short – I am going to try a sleep tracker – [Fitbit charge HR -brother in-law not using :>) ] – what are U using?
    (I have reviewed the chat from a year back and link <thanks> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-christopher-winter/sleep-tips_b_4792760.html).
    My preference is to get a multi-tasker [in order of importance] something to be a watch (like wearing one!) – waterproof – sleep monitor – fitness monitor – smart software to tie all the threads together otherwise likely to get dis-interested… Then it is just a clumsy watch!!

Cheers
    Have a g8 sleep charged (wishfull think!!) year.
    Rik

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone, I have a fitbit HR charge but have problems getting it to sync, consequently my sleepio tracker has data missing, is anyone else having this problem and managed to fix it?? (I'm on my second week on the Sleepio Programme).

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I feel this question about whether to use “normal” or “sensitive” setting on a Fitbit is really important and needs answering professionally. I used the sensitive setting which shows my sleep efficiency is in the 30s-50s%. If I use normal setting, it seems to be up in the high 90s%. That's quite a difference! With such varying results how can it be trusted?

• Sleepio Member

• 30 comments
    • 3 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I've had my Fitbit two days, first night it didn't record any sleep. Last night, on sensitive mode, it recorded sleep but it didn't automatically connect to sleepio. I had to go on the website and import data. (At a click of one button). I'm not sure why it's not doing it automatically- sleepio says it's connected.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dawnie. I wrote a bit about Fitbit tracking and my set-up on my profile. To initialise the auto-loading of the time details I recall clicking on a button on the top right of the sleep diary screen. Now I log-in to the Fitbit website and open sleepio in another screen and by the time I open my sleep diary the data is already there. The first 2-3 times after initialising the link I had to manually click the button to get it to integrate. I think having the fitbit website open at the same time is the key. Another thought – I more often than not am charging the fitbit so the link thru the cable may be part of the data load -- either way it is good to have it automated.
    Cheers R4TC

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dawnie – another point, U can let the auto synchronise work or (on pc version probably ph app too) open the desktop app and manually synch'. I do this when I want changes to settings to work immediately it also does a data upload. The fitbit only holds a few days data b4 it gets overwritten so needs regular synch'ing.
    When the sleepio website was being updated, I missed entering that day's data (it was night time here). Today I went to catch-up and both days data had been loaded. How good is that (after weeks of manual entry)!!
    Cheers R4TC

• Sleepio Member

• 30 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I contacted sleepio- they say it automatically syncs at 1pm. I'd been too hasty and looking when I woke up. All sorted

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Interesting article. The Basis performed rather well and is affordable. Have ordered one and will give it a try. My UP2 is just not up to the task.
    Will post feedback on the Basis in a few days.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I too have a fitbit and I think mine had a melt down, it had been sleeping 16 hours!!! I don't know if it was because of the time change. Who knows. I know I didn't sleep that long unless I was in coma lol!! so had to do the sleep diary myself today which was guessing!!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm also having problems syncing my fitbit to sleepio. Sleepio seems to forget that I have a fitbit. Every time I go into Sleepio, I click “Add my tracking device” and then “Connect my Fitbit”. Sleepio responds with “Success! Your device is now connected. Your sleep data will be automatically imported once a day.” But this doesn't actually happen, and I have to go through the same clicks every time to get my data in.

Any suggestions for how to get the connection to stick?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have the same issue. I have decided its not worth worrying about and reconnect it when I go into sleepio, its still worthwhile I feel despite the glitches. I have been using the sensitive setting and like others here it shows my sleep efficiency to be quite low. I am nearly finished week 3 and have found with the sleep deprivation stage my SE has actually gone up, so comparatively speaking I can see an improvement. But I am considering either changing to the normal setting or as another person has done, readjust the entries to remove the restless periods as I think leaving them in doesn't give a good indication of how long I have been sleeping. I am so tired on this first week of sleep deprivation (despite the fact my actual sleep average is the same) that I desperately want to increase my time in bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have the same issue. I have decided its not worth worrying about and reconnect it when I go into sleepio, its still worthwhile I feel despite the glitches. I have been using the sensitive setting and like others here it shows my sleep efficiency to be quite low. I am nearly finished week 3 and have found with the sleep deprivation stage my SE has actually gone up, so comparatively speaking I can see an improvement. But I am considering either changing to the normal setting or as another person has done, readjust the entries to remove the restless periods as I think leaving them in doesn't give a good indication of how long I have been sleeping. I am so tired on this first week of sleep deprivation (despite the fact my actual sleep average is the same) that I desperately want to increase my time in bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I accidentally clicked 'connect health app' on Sleepio iPhone app. The only other option was 'connect jawbone'. Now I can't find an option to synch my Fitbit?!
    Please help :-(

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I've got a Fitbit., but I'm not a real techie! I sync daily manually to Sleepio. Go to sleep diary page on iPad, ( not sure if iPhone display is the same

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I have a jawbone up 3 and use it as a base, but I always have to edit it a bunch after it imports. The sleep section of the jawbone is not sensitive enough. I have been awake and manually marked down the times, and then I look at my jawbone app the next day and it says that I was never awake at those times. I even tapped it a few times to change the setting and it still acted like I hadn't woken up. I think it's just a good starting place, so I won't unsync it from Sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes, I had trouble getting my fitbit to sync – disconnect and reconnect or alternatively click on the connect device each time you log on in the morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi,

I'm also using the sensitive setting, the reason being was that when I first started using my fitbit I had it on the normal setting and it was telling me that I was getting 8 hours of sleep a night, and I'd wake feeling grim, tired and unrested.

I then set it to sensitive and found out that I was only sleeping deeply for 4 1/2 hours of those 8 hours and that the rest of the time I was restless (though not actually awake). Suddenly my tiredness made sense, I wasn't getting restorative sleep for nearly 50% of the time I spent in bed.

I'm now nearly at the end of week 3 and a 5 hour SR schedule, which is awful. My SE hasn't improved (it went up on night three to 75% and I got really excited and now its back down to 60ish%) and I'm getting 3 1/4 hours a night.

I “fell off the wagon” this afternoon and ended up taking a 1 3/4 hour nap and feel great as a result, but I'm worried I've messed up tonights sleep. I'm finding this unbelievably difficult!

I'm hoping someone has been in a similar situation and can tell me it is going to get better…. Please let it get better, I'm feeling horribly sleep deprived and work is a nightmare, I'm so unproductive and I'm snapping at my children.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone tried using an app like 'Sleep Cycle' or 'Good Morning'? I have been using 'Sleep Cycle for quite some time so I am thinking I can transfer that data over pretty easily as opposed to buying a fitbit. Thoughts?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I've now got a Jawbone UP3 and am interested in recording its results. But it appears that it falsely records some time as “Light Sleep” when actually I'm just lay very still.
    I think over my years of poor sleep I've learnt to get rest by being still with my eyes closed, and also that my average heart rate is low any way so that confuses the UP3 into saying I'm asleep.

Any one else have these sort of issues with their recording kit ?

Return to top