Fitbit tracking device

I bought a Fitbit tracking device as I found that manually keeping a sleep diary was keeping me awake. It's been really effective for filling in my sleep diary.

There are two sleep settings normal and sensitive and I've been using sensitive for the last two weeks and I'm now not sure whether I should be using that setting. Fitbit say:

The normal setting counts significant movements such as rolling over as being awake, and is appropriate for most users.
The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

Which should I be using. I've been wearing the tracker on my wrist and sensitive is showing that I wake up 8-13 times a night. However, I'm not aware of being awake more than once or twice a night. I'm currently into 3 days of the session 3 Pro-sleep schedule.

Posted 25 Sep 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 90 comments
  • 17 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 31 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Rosie. Apologies for butting in to your response to Eileen but it seemed relevant. I didn't know you could break down the bar graph like this so I just looked at mine for the nights it didn't record sleep stages and it said 'awake' for 5-6 mins only – I don't think so!! To be honest I don't see how they can differentiate between awake and restless and it seems in my case that they can't.

• Sleepio Member

• 101 comments
    • 23 helped
    Graduate

Yes, I agree, it doesn't seem to match the info you get when you get the graph. But it does break it down into awake and restless (as if they are different) so it would be interesting to know what they mean by 'restless'.

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 31 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Graduate

I've posted on your profile about replacements.

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

Good for you Jane. You have put up with a dodgy fitbit for too long (and still managed to sleep). Fingers crossed that both our new ones behave perfectly.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have called and they replaced my at least twice. They were always nice about it.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I started Sleepio yesterday and linked my Fitbit Alta HR, which provides more sleep data than the older Fitbits. The info imported to Sleepio is wildly different from what Fitbit itself reported. It says I was awake two hours more than Fitbit says! The Fitbit data rings true to what I experienced for wakefulness. What is going on?

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 60 helped
    Graduate

Hello Renee and welcome to Sleepio.
    I too am a Fitbit user and have my device linked to Sleepio. However, almost from the word go I realised that there were discrepancies – the most obvious one being that FB records lying still as being asleep. So, I always fill in my Sleep dairy manually, basing the information on Fitbit but also on my own perceptions. I am more satisfied with the end result that way. I do find, however , that usually the difference between total sleep as calculated by me +sleepio and Fitbit's data is only 10-15 minutes overall.

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 60 helped
    Graduate

I admit I seem to be lucky with my Fitbit. I wonder if Lindsay (lhobby) got her replacement and,if she did, whether it is behaving?

My only problem has been a few night's here and there where mine has reverted to the bar graph rather than the detailed analysis.

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

Yes I've got my new one. Two nights working – so far so good.

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

Hello Renee545. I enter my sleep diary data manually.I have never linked my fitbit to Sleepio as I got it after I started so i use this data and subtract the time awake the fitbit gives when I know I wasn't even in bed but just listening to my meditation track pre-bed. It then more or less co-incides with what I feel. After that, Like OFSS, mine is only 15 mins or so out.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the input. I will just manually change things. I seem to “nap” often when I first go to bed, then wake up about 20-30 minutes later and stay awake sometimes an hour or more. I think FB can't handle this.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the advice!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. It was about two hours different again, but I think you're right, FB thinks that if your heart rate is low that you are asleep rather than lying awake as I was. I guess I'll just keep editing manually.

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 60 helped
    Graduate

I have read somewhere that FB only decides it should record a period as your night's sleep if you have been still/ lying down for three hours. Recently I went to bed at 11.30 pm but got up for a QHR session from 1.15 -1.40 am. FB recorded that I had not gone to bed at all until 1.45.

It has also happened that I got up around 3 or 4 am for 5 or 10 minutes but then went back to bed and fell asleep again and it recorded a 3 hour spell of sleep for the previous night ( because the sleep period started before midnight) but only counted the second later period for time asleep/ awake purposes for the night as a whole

I think we expect too much of a device which, after all, is only sensing our movement and heart rate. That is why I find FB data useful but prefer to use it as one element of a sleep dairy that I enter manually rather than allow it to be the only source of information on my sleep for Sleepio

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I decided to try uploading my sleep data from my Fitbit Alta HR last night and I was very confused to see it report something different to Sleepio than it reports to me. On my phone app, it tells me I slept for 5hr 24min out of 6 hours, but on Sleepio it reported I slept for 3hr 30 minutes out of 6hr 15. On my phone it says I was awake for about 41 minutes, on Sleepio it says 2hr 30 minutes. I was expecting to see my Fitbit not match up exactly with my own experience, but the fact that it is reporting 2 different things has me very confused. Has anyone else had this issue?

• Sleepio Member

• 101 comments
    • 23 helped
    Graduate

Hi Rellies89

That does sound very odd I have to say! I often have to tweak my Sleepio info having downloading the data from my Charge 2, but it's never been that different. Does this always happen, or just occasionally? Did you edit the diary so that it was more accurate? This is quite easy to do if you need to.

Hopefully, it's just been a glictch and things will be OK from now on. Rosie x

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi Rosie,

So this is the first time I have tried connecting the Fitbit. Hopefully it is just a fluke- I will try for a few more days and see if it improves. I did end up adjusting the times to match up closer to my experience of the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 60 helped
    Graduate

Have you synced Fitbit to upload your data to Sleepio automatically? I am wondering whether somewhere along the line it is splitting your Sleep into before and after midnight readings. It does sometimes get very confused if you go to bed before midnight but get up at, say, 12.30 a .m if you cannot sleep
    I adjust the FItbit findings to my own perceptions and always fill in my sleep diary manually. FItbit gives good insight into how much deep sleep or REM we get but most of us have found that its assessment of Awake v. Light sleep is often inaccurate.
    Technology will not be taking over from the human brain just yet!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

So it has been 4 nights now and every time what is reported to Sleepio is 1-2 hours less than what my Fitbit tells me. I will just keep adjusting manually to match my own experience, which is usually somewhere in between the two reports.

The splitting sleep thing is an interesting thought, but I don't get into bed until 1AM right now with my window.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hello,

Apologies if this information is available elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. What tracker devices work with Sleepio? There are a few apps available for Android that say they track your sleep, but not sure if these are reliable or work with Sleepio.

Thanks,
    Effin

Return to top