Does Restless Leg Syndrome keep you up during the night?

Jumping, itchy & uncomfortable legs can be a real problem – I'd love to hear from anyone who's experienced this

Posted 10 Jan 2012 at 5:52 PM
  • 68 comments
  • 31 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 3 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Taykoh. Which multivitamin do you take. I have just bought some but just wondered which ones are best for RLS?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have RLS occasionally – my legs don't jump, but it feels like they're about to, and it's impossible to get to sleep. I've found that if I haven't drunk a lot of water during the day, RLS is more likely to happen. It sounds simplistic, but it's the one commonality that I can pinpoint. But I'm going to try magnesium or multivitamins, too.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

The new thinking on RLS is that it's caused by 'inflammation' in the body. Inflammation is purported to be caused by eating grains and sugar essentially. By eating a fresh diet with no processed food or sugars you can control the amount of inflammation in the body. I have tried this and it has worked for me and when I have weakened and had a chocolate attack I mostly know I'm going to suffer that night. There is a very good lighthearted website I found called something like How I Cured My RLS and P'd Off Big Pharma. Something like that anyway. It's very interesting and very informative. Hope it helps somebody. By the way I'm taking Magnesium Threonate as well.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have suffered from RLS for some time, keeping me awake for hours on end. I now eat a banana a day, and since doing so haven't had any RLS! It works for me. Worth a try.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am currently doing the sleepio programme. My question relates to my partner's restless leg syndrome which actually disturbs me as i am trying to fall asleep. Anyone else experiences this? What do you recommend to address the problem?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

yes separate beds (pushed together), separate quilts

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone I'm new just started today. I find that anything with antihistamine makes restless legs much worse. As antihistamine is in nearly every over the counter tablet to help with aiding sleep I wonder if other people have made the connection. Just to make everyone aware.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome since I was 12. I didn't even know what it was until I heard someone mention it one time and then I looked it up, and it is exactly what I have. It is the most annoying thing in the world and is the #1 cause of my sleep problems. The thing that works for me the best is pressure. I have bought compression socks that I wear up to my knees that help, but not 100%. I sometimes have my boyfriend lay on my legs, but it's not something he will do all night. I need something that will give me pressure on my legs while in bed. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I too suffer the same as you. Reading your comment was like I had written it myself. I now take my ropinerol at about 6. 00 pm as my legs started to get going earlier.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I recommend that anyone with restless leg syndrome take a look at the RLS Foundation website: http://www.rls.org/ They have a wealth of information, and support exploratory research about RLS.

If you're taking a dopamine-related drug, and you're getting symptoms earlier in the evening, you may be having “augmentation”. Look it up on the RLS Foundation site, and resist if your doctor wants to increase your dose -- that becomes a vicious cycle.

Personally, I have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, which is like RLS but happens only while asleep. They are related disorders, and many people with RLS also have PLMs, but not necessarily vice versa.

I also sometimes have garden-variety insomnia, which is what brought me to Sleepio. Given that PLMD disrupts my sleep quality, I don't want to lose any sleep to insomnia.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Now that RLS has been accepted as a 'real' problem for people and doctors understand the disruption of sleep caused from it there has been more research done. I've suffered with RLS long before anyone knew what it was and other family members suffer from it as well. Ropineral did not work for me, it made my RLS worse so was switched to Mirapex which works great.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I occasionally suffer from RLS and leg cramps. It does disrupt my sleep and keeps me from being able to go back to sleep. I usually get out of bed and walk back and to through the house. That helps some. Other times I massage my legs to help relax my leg muscles. Magnesium will work, but I'm afraid to take too much of it. Anyone have any natural remedies that would aid in helping RLS? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

To answer some questions I have read;
    RLS is such an annoyance! It does play a roll in keeping me up. My doc ended up getting meds I take nightly. Sometimes it doesn't help and I get really irritated. Sometimes it feels like my leg is stuck in a painful “tickle” attack, or stuck in a vibrating machine… just won't settle down; feels like your running and can't stop but your not.

• Sleepio Member

• 110 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

I don't know if this is just a coincidence but I used to have restless legs and cramps in my legs. I notice that both have almost disappeared (very rare now), and I think they went at the same time that I stopped having dairy products (which also give me acne, and blocked sinuses). I do have magnesium in the form of hot mag. baths with Epsom salts and liquid magnesium transdermal spray in the water too. NB I find that a hot bath too close to bed time is energising, so allow time to cool down (about 3 hours) if you do this.

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

I am new to Sleepio. I've just been diagnosed with RLS as part of my overall horrible sleep patterns. I was totally aghast and didn't believe her, until I started watching my feet in the evening, like if I'm reading or watching TV – they are in constant motion. Yeah. Never still. Asked my kids. Yeah, Mom, your feet are “busy”. I also tested low on iron, so I'm on iron, Mirapex, Sleepio, and working toward getting off klonipin and fixing my broken sleep. One thing at a time. I think what the RLS was doing for me was waking me up. But I never noticed HOW I woke up, just THAT I was waking 6-10 times a night and never sleeping longer than 3 hours at the first part of the night. My doc said a lot of people with RLS don't know it. I sure didn't. But looking back, I'm sure my dad had it, and my son has it.

• Sleepio Member

• 122 comments
    • 27 helped
    Graduate

Hi BusyLegsGranny. Welcome to Sleepio.
    I think it quite unusual to actually see legs moving with RLS, so I guess yours is very much worse than mine.
    My GP thinks that mine may be caused by my lowered kidney function. This often happens as we age, apparently,-- it's no fun getting old is it?!
    Since being with Sleepio I have given up caffeinated drinks and alcohol,this has helped my sleep and also seems to have helped my RLS. I also try to take a 20 minute walk each day and I'm sure this helps too.
    I think that you can get medication if your symptoms are really bad and keeping you awake. It might be worth checking with your GP again.
    Hope you do well with the course, get back to the community if you need help-- the dreaded week 3 onwards is really tough, but it's worth the hardship as it does gradually improve you sleep.
    Best wishes
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, Megwich! I too gave up caffeine, alcohol, etc and have added hard exercise every day. Been working on sleep for a long time. Finally got a consult with a sleep expert – she said, “You are doing all the right things,” and suggested RLS. I am on medication for the RLS and have noticed a decrease in evening wiggles! But still not sleeping great. It will be a long process. I'm ready. Have done some sleep restriction on my own…I know it's pretty miserable. Will have 'week 3” off work, so that will make it a little easier, psychologically! Thanks for chatting. BLG

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I've suffered from foot pain for many years which I put down to a car accident. I find I'm constantly twitching my toes because of the pain, and my lower legs ache a lot in bed. I'm now wondering if this is RLS – I certainly find it very difficult to keep my legs still in bed once the aching has started? I eat a very healthy diet – am on gluten free for coeliac, organic veg, take magnesium and iron…...

• Sleepio Member

• 462 comments
    • 156 helped
    Graduate

It could be RLS sunnynorth, but it could also be referred pain from the lower spine which causes pain in the leg and foot.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Had RLS for a number of years when I was younger,up till I was 31 and got pregnant and then started taking iron tablets, and it got better whether extra iron worked, but haven't suffered since.

Return to top