Does helping other people help you?

I like this website, Does anyone find that talking to other people helps them more helpful to themsleves?

Posted 26 Nov 2011 at 1:13 AM
  • 17 comments
  • 20 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

I think it's made me more focussed on the problem. I see now that there is far more research on the subject than I ever realised. Further personal research reveals that there are many Sleep Clinics which I never knew about. However for the time being, getting focussed has made sleep pattern worse. I'm trying to manage now without sleeping tablets and getting about 4 hrs sleep per night.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dave

I do find helping others does help, however I find that you must always be aware that sometimes your mind could get bogged down with other peoples problems
    What I thought would be nice is if there was a mentoring type of scheme where we could all (Graduates) help others not only here , but if needs be by emails etc

I have found some great people on here who have inspired me and have provided me with support when I needed it and hopefully I can inspire others to get to their Goals

I am pretty lucky I feel I have conquererd Mount Everest and intend to stay there, however I know there will be good and bad days, I too love this site

WELL DONE SLEEPIO

• Sleepio Member

• 1914 comments
    • 441 helped
    Graduate

i am absolutley convinced that posting helpfull comments for other people is not only good for them, it also helps them to partipate on this site, but it helps the sender in that it reminds you that that advice helps you and it maybe time to try it again

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

It does definitely help – I get so much help from others, their success and there ups and downs. It also gives me a boost to when I hear from someone else that they have been helped by anything I have done or written in the posts. Good to spend time focussing on someone else as insomnia is a killer for self pity and self focus.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Hi Holiday and Goldie, yes I believe you are both right, that's why I think the ask the grads thread is great as you get solid advice from lots of people.

it doesnt hurt to help others and as the advice stays online for future users thats great too, I must admit I love to see other members getting better sleepwise, you are two great supporting members well done both…...Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

By posting I feel we are giving others perhaps a different perspective. And we are gaining a wide range of ideas and examples, both good and bad, of other people's circumstances and practices. I learn best this way and am grateful to be able to continue on this site for free as I feel my understanding of both myself, my behaviour and sleep generally is continuing to improve. I've learned that 5 minute flat rests after coming back from a half mile walk and doing the horses is really beneficial to me. I recover enough energy to stay awake to my SR threshold and have been so far sleeping through the night. Hooray for Sleepio and all who sail with her!

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

great to see this discussion coming live again. In the depths of my insomniac despair I would not have thought that sharing my thoughts and ideas with others would help me but now I know that it does. It is a huge boost to me personally when someone clicks on the 'did you find this comment helpful' button or replies to say thanks.

Also it makes me think of my own working the Sleepio programme so when I am posting to someone to suggest the revisit any of the techniques then it makes me think again about my own application of it all. Keeping in touch like this is a good way for this recovering insomniac to realise that I will be happy to keep in touch and supporting the others because It reminds me that if I don't keep working with the Sleepio tools my own insomnia will be doing press-ups in the corner of my bedroom waiting to claim me back. Hope that makes sense.!

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

This thread seems to have stopped in May of this year – as new to Sleepio I think I'd want to say that helping others does help me. It grounds me and makes me remember that I am not alone in this struggle, everyone else on the site is having the same difficulties – their own ups and downs.

It is also very helpful to be able to ask questions around the most basic things, as I have done, and not to feel embarrassed because you didn't know the answer in the first place. It is a friendly and open forum and, for me, has been a real support and area of encouragement. I am only on Session 2, a long way to go yet, but I am relieved to know that you are all 'out there' and it really does make a difference.

• Sleepio Member

• 1914 comments
    • 441 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Yes it makes a lot of sense Goldie posting advice reminds us of what we have to keep doing ourselves, after all this time on sleepio I am still learning but the reassurance that I get from my sleepio pals is invaluable. I also want to be of help to new sleepio members, it's not easy broadcasting your private problems but once you get the ball rolling its a great lift to hear from people with your problem, I used to think I was the only one in the world. So I would ask all who have become members recently to talk over there problems on these pages lots of good people who will respond and try to help.

• Sleepio Member

• 1914 comments
    • 441 helped
    Graduate

Such a sound report redandgreen, you think just like I do, you have made a giant step in helping yourself and others just by joining this team, over the next couple of weeks you will find this is a comfort zone when things get a bit tough but once you are through this period you will have a different view on your problem, understanding it for one thing. I hope other people with our problem new to sleepio have your courage to contribute in the open, the reward help from others in what really is a self help programme.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

I agree, it would be nice to have a method whereby you can email an individual that you seem to connect with. I'm sure it could be set up whereby a request can be sent. The receiver has the choice to accept or decline.

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

I really feel that helping others makes a positive impact on my sleep knowledge and growth. It seems that writing down techniques and thoughts clarifies them and even helps me understand why they may work. I certainly hope that everyone who has helped me on the Sleepio site has reaped positive consequences, because their assistance is invaluable to me!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I find other peoples comments very useful ,and thank you all for that .
    After a poor night I begin to wonder if this is the right programme for me. However the encouraging comments help me stay connected. Ergo upward and onward !

• Sleepio Member

• 337 comments
    • 38 helped
    Graduate

Glad we were able to help!

• Sleepio Member

• 30 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

I just graducated from the program but I am still struggling with my sleep. Anyway, I found the support on this site is definitely helpful especially with positive results. When you give a helpful tip to others, you also reinforced the idea in your head and it sure gives you and the one you helped positive energy.

• Sleepio Member

• 92 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

HI FredHK, I totally agree with you. It's part of the learning and reinforcement process to share what we've learned with others and it's also a bit like group therapy.

Return to top