Sleep remedies & alternatives to prescription drugs

I am interested to know has anyone tried over the counter sleep remedies or maybe Acupuncture or herbs?

Posted 3 Jan 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 154 comments
  • 46 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 1

There is data that suggests the active ingredients vary in the time the St Johns Wart is harvested. I would give done thought to getting it from a local gardener or growing it yourself so you know the potency. As an analogy, hot peppers are often quite mild in the green stage and only can be used in small portions when mature.

• Sleepio Member

• 31 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi Blumy

I tried tart cherry juice per my sisters recommendation. She told me to put 1 oz of tar cherry juice syrup into 8oz of water. She said it worked like a charm. She gave me 2 servings – first night I fell right to sleep, the 2nd night was bad and I couldn't fall asleep for 3+ hours. One other thing…the cherry juice was kind of heavy on my tummy before bed. It gave me a bit of a stomach ache. Not so sure that it works for me but perhaps it will work for you. I have been drinking a cup of sleepy time tea before bed…that works sometimes. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am thinking about trying Acupressure. I do hear some many positive things about sleep. I also take Melaton at night and I feel it works great for me. Thanks for your advice

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have been thinking about Acupuncture and after reading many comments of this great success with sleep disorders, I am definitely going to try.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi Folks I have just started sleepio – I have been off work for four weeks – which is stressful as I am the breadwinner and have my own business – no sick pay – my story is quite complex in that I suffer from acid reflux where I get particles of food and stomache acid coming into my mouth. Interestingly I dont get heartburn but the pains I experience are on my left side and lower back – it used to make my legs sweat but I have a merino wool duvet and that seems to help controlling the temperature – I sometimes get a racing pulse in my head or lower back – I have been on mirtazipine – anti-depressent for years and have mainly been using it as a sedative – I am a psychological therapist and probably a bit of a workaholic – I just wondered if anyone out there has experienced insomnia linked to acid reflux without heartburn. I currently go to bed at night dreading that zing feeling which tells me I am completely awake and can forget about sleeping – I do give it some time trying to relax – then after 2hrs get out of bed – go downstairs – read for an hour with a pukka tea and then return to the bed and lie their awake for the rest of the night cursing the hourly church bells – I am hoping by expanding my knowledge on the above areas so any posts appreciated

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I too have the same acid reflux problem except I get the reflux interfers with my airway making me cough and wheez when I lay down. For me I do better if I eat lite for dinner and cut way back on fluids several hours be bed. I also found that a small bowl of pop corn seems to help keep the reflux down, at least for me. Raising the head of your bed 6 inchs may help.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I just started the sleepio program about three weeks ago. I have been on Ambein 10mg sleeping pill for about 5 years and would like get off it and go to sleep naturally.
    I haven't been given any instructions in the course about when I should stop taking the Ambien. Can anyone give me some advice on this.
    Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have been on Levothyrozine for about 10 years and have just read that this medication can cause sleeping problems leading to insomnia . Has anyone on the Sleepio program had any problems with this . Dot .

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dot, I am glad you raised this question. I am also on Levothyrozine and have sleep issues (hence here I am on Sleepio). Yesterday I met with a new Primary Care Physician who agreed to try tapering me off the Levo (other then blood test results I have had no other symptoms of low thyroid function). It will be interesting if my sleep improves on the lower dose.
    Deb

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Deb . Thank you for you reply . When I spoke to my Doctor I was told that it was more important to stay on Levothyrozine. I have looked on a app called hypothyroid mum and am amazed at how many people on this medication have sleeping problems.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, got awful nightmares years ago with Melatonin.!!!! But everything affects everyone differently….....

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Go get yourself some Pure Peppermint Essential Oil. One drop in glass of boiling water. Inhale that.Clears your head, and most thoughts will vanish. Eyes may water a bit, helps with breathing too.
    Cooled down, drink it, it's great for your tummy.

• Sleepio Member

• 213 comments
    • 73 helped
    Graduate

Just saw an ad for this on Sharper Image – I'm pretty skeptical – there weren't many reviews but they were good. Still too sketchy for me to pay $90 for at this point but it did get my curiosity going

Sleep Improving Wrist Band

Modern sleep science meets the ancient Chinese art of acupuncture in our Sleep Improving Wrist Band, a biofeedback device designed to help you sleep better! Wear it on the wrist to stimulate vital acupuncture points — small electrical pulses will cause your body to increase production of the sleep-inducing hormone Melatonin. Try it to reduce or even eliminate the effects of tension, swing shift work or jet lag. Improves your sleep quality gradually in 3 to 6 weeks. Not for use by those with a pacemaker.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone taken 5htp (with magnesium) for mood and sleep? I see there are studies that say it can be effective, but I can't find information about what time to take it i.e morning or afternoon or just before bed. A nutritionist suggested that bedtime is the wrong time to take this, as it can be over stimulating.
    What experiences have others had taking this supplement?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Blumy,
    I've been taking CherryActive concentrate (Concentrated Montmorency Cherry Juice from the local health shop) for about four weeks. I was told that not only would it help with insomnia but also arthritis! So far it hasn't helped with anything but since I was advised to buy the big bottle (946ml) and it isn't cheap (£30) I am going to take every last drop. The bottle has a plunger and I take two plunges in a glass of water. Supposed to take it night and morning. Good luck if you try it.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm just about to start the sleep restriction part of the program tonight. Lately I've been taking half of a Zyrtec (antihistimine) at night and it has helped me to get back to sleep pretty easily when I wake up (like 4 or 5 times a night). Can I STILL take the antihistimine during the sleep restriction period?

• Sleepio Member

• 213 comments
    • 73 helped
    Graduate

If you live in TX, like me, I recently (this week) got reprimanded by my Dr for NOT consistently taking Zyrtec coz my allergies are so bad. I only wish it made me sleepy. I have heard of people abusing benadryl which I think contains the same active ingredient that is in zzzquil and some otc. sleep meds, but I haven't heard of issues w/Zyrtec – it has a different active ingredient I believe then benadryl which is what seems to be the most abused of the allergy meds. If you don't have allergies, you might want to reconsider taking it but I do and take a full pill daily for allergies from hell. It doesn't do a thing for me that I can tell for sleep so whatever sedative effect it has must be pretty mild but if it works for you, I'd definitely stick w/it if you have allergies that it helps with – and if you don't have allergies, well…then I'd probably venture away from it in my own time, but I wouldn't think half a pill as any big pressing deal. Of course, I was on a ton of prescription meds so to me, Zyrtec pales in comparison and I'm not a dr and not trying to advocate your using it for the sole use as a sleep aid but I wouldn't stress it. People get off their meds sometimes during sleep restriction and sometimes not. Most taper and are on stronger stuff from what I can tell (ambien/zolpidem is a biggie and hard to kick). Do what works for you. Don't stress it whatever you decide. It will all work out.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi ! Occasionally have the reflux but was told to put 2 cinder blocks under each bedpost at top of bed to raise head chest high enough . Also sleeping on your left side is helpful

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

That is one cinder block for each side not 2 stacked up btw

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

hi, I have used a number of herbal supplements to help with sleep (Passifor, Melissa, Holy basil, melatonin – mostly as herbal extracts). They all seem to work for a time and then have the opposite effect. I have just started using some chinese herbal teas recommended by my acupuncture doctor and they seem to be working for me (so far) – Reishi mushroom (team made from the dried mushroom) and Chrysanthemum tea. The great thing for me that they have no after effect. I think the important thing for Chinese herbs to work is that the ones you use need to be the right ones for your body needs (as defined by the Chinese medical model). Anyway, so far so good.

Return to top