Sleep remedies & alternatives to prescription drugs

I am interested to know has anyone tried over the counter sleep remedies or maybe Acupuncture or herbs?

Posted 3 Jan 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 164 comments
  • 46 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi, got awful nightmares years ago with Melatonin.!!!! But everything affects everyone differently….....

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Go get yourself some Pure Peppermint Essential Oil. One drop in glass of boiling water. Inhale that.Clears your head, and most thoughts will vanish. Eyes may water a bit, helps with breathing too.
    Cooled down, drink it, it's great for your tummy.

• Sleepio Member

• 220 comments
    • 75 helped
    Graduate

Just saw an ad for this on Sharper Image – I'm pretty skeptical – there weren't many reviews but they were good. Still too sketchy for me to pay $90 for at this point but it did get my curiosity going

Sleep Improving Wrist Band

Modern sleep science meets the ancient Chinese art of acupuncture in our Sleep Improving Wrist Band, a biofeedback device designed to help you sleep better! Wear it on the wrist to stimulate vital acupuncture points — small electrical pulses will cause your body to increase production of the sleep-inducing hormone Melatonin. Try it to reduce or even eliminate the effects of tension, swing shift work or jet lag. Improves your sleep quality gradually in 3 to 6 weeks. Not for use by those with a pacemaker.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone taken 5htp (with magnesium) for mood and sleep? I see there are studies that say it can be effective, but I can't find information about what time to take it i.e morning or afternoon or just before bed. A nutritionist suggested that bedtime is the wrong time to take this, as it can be over stimulating.
    What experiences have others had taking this supplement?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Blumy,
    I've been taking CherryActive concentrate (Concentrated Montmorency Cherry Juice from the local health shop) for about four weeks. I was told that not only would it help with insomnia but also arthritis! So far it hasn't helped with anything but since I was advised to buy the big bottle (946ml) and it isn't cheap (£30) I am going to take every last drop. The bottle has a plunger and I take two plunges in a glass of water. Supposed to take it night and morning. Good luck if you try it.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm just about to start the sleep restriction part of the program tonight. Lately I've been taking half of a Zyrtec (antihistimine) at night and it has helped me to get back to sleep pretty easily when I wake up (like 4 or 5 times a night). Can I STILL take the antihistimine during the sleep restriction period?

• Sleepio Member

• 220 comments
    • 75 helped
    Graduate

If you live in TX, like me, I recently (this week) got reprimanded by my Dr for NOT consistently taking Zyrtec coz my allergies are so bad. I only wish it made me sleepy. I have heard of people abusing benadryl which I think contains the same active ingredient that is in zzzquil and some otc. sleep meds, but I haven't heard of issues w/Zyrtec – it has a different active ingredient I believe then benadryl which is what seems to be the most abused of the allergy meds. If you don't have allergies, you might want to reconsider taking it but I do and take a full pill daily for allergies from hell. It doesn't do a thing for me that I can tell for sleep so whatever sedative effect it has must be pretty mild but if it works for you, I'd definitely stick w/it if you have allergies that it helps with – and if you don't have allergies, well…then I'd probably venture away from it in my own time, but I wouldn't think half a pill as any big pressing deal. Of course, I was on a ton of prescription meds so to me, Zyrtec pales in comparison and I'm not a dr and not trying to advocate your using it for the sole use as a sleep aid but I wouldn't stress it. People get off their meds sometimes during sleep restriction and sometimes not. Most taper and are on stronger stuff from what I can tell (ambien/zolpidem is a biggie and hard to kick). Do what works for you. Don't stress it whatever you decide. It will all work out.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi ! Occasionally have the reflux but was told to put 2 cinder blocks under each bedpost at top of bed to raise head chest high enough . Also sleeping on your left side is helpful

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

That is one cinder block for each side not 2 stacked up btw

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

hi, I have used a number of herbal supplements to help with sleep (Passifor, Melissa, Holy basil, melatonin – mostly as herbal extracts). They all seem to work for a time and then have the opposite effect. I have just started using some chinese herbal teas recommended by my acupuncture doctor and they seem to be working for me (so far) – Reishi mushroom (team made from the dried mushroom) and Chrysanthemum tea. The great thing for me that they have no after effect. I think the important thing for Chinese herbs to work is that the ones you use need to be the right ones for your body needs (as defined by the Chinese medical model). Anyway, so far so good.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

see a doctor (usually of chiropractic) that has special training in nutrition. Certain foods and drink is normally the culprit. Just have to be tested by a trained chiropractor in applied kinesiology. (muscle testing) to find out which foods are wrong for you.. Everyone is different…

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

I tried 5htp with magnesium and vitamin b 12, I took it at night. Initially I slept better and definitely felt calmer and my mood lifted, with regard to sleep it seemed to loose it's effectivness over the month I took it.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

For anyone who has problems sleeping due to digestive problems. I highly recommend looking into the FODMAP diet. I went through an elimination test with a nutritionist, identified foods that are harder for me to digest, and occasionally take digestive enzymes with I do eat these foods. Years of troubled digestive have been resolved almost completely.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am taking zodiac lone to help me sleep. Not sure if I should stop it now I have my sleep window. I am nervous about making my sleep worse rather than better

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Sorry that should have read Zopiclone

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

Hi Karen
    I stopped my Zoplicone 3 weeks before starting Sleepio
    I'm just in week one of the programme but my rebound insomnia is brutal
    I just figured I would have a rough time going off them and thought it might be better to start the programme that way as maybe it would help
    Not sure I have made the correct decision
    I will let you know as it progresses!
    I have been on sleeping pills for a long time though too

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I am interested to know if you managed to stay off your zopiclone? I take it if I have had more then 3 bad night's in a row as I get cold sores.

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

Hi Marie
    Yes I have stayed off the Zoplicone
    The rebound insomnia lasted 3 weeks and was rough…I had taken sleeping pills for 5 years though…
    Then I completed the Sleepio programme
    Has been a tough go but not tempted anymore to return to sleeping aids :)
    They weren't working well anymore for me anyway.
    Sleepio has helped me tremendously
    Still a work in progress but doing well overall :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

As another commenter mentioned, Melatonin always gives me these crazy strange nightmares…what's with that!

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

Hi Mozer
    I found Melatonin didn't help me at all either
    In fact it seemed to make me worse in some ways so maybe that was it…crazy dreams
    It's a hormone so who knows how it affects us
    I have read that you should be on it no longer than a week or two anyway

Return to top