Sleep remedies & alternatives to prescription drugs

A discussion where members can share and inquire with other members into alternative sleep remedies, such as herbs, acupuncture, weighted blankets, and hypnotherapy.

Posted 3 Jan 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 186 comments
  • 54 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 30 comments
    • 13 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Yes you are so right, Chickatee, I absolutely think it would not have been effective for me had I not already been using the Sleepio tools. I think the effectiveness of the acupuncture so far for me is more about stress and anxiety reduction than it is about sleep. Of course sleep and anxiety can be a chicken-or-egg conundrum, but in my own case I don't think it was anxiety that made me an insomniac. I believe my insomnia led to my sleep anxiety. I didn't mean to suggest to anyone that acupuncture should (or even could possibly) supplant Sleepio--but I figure anyone on the forum is already using Sleepio so another holistic tool might be something to keep in mind as a possible add-on. I really do think that Sleepio is by far the BEST remedy for insomnia that I have ever found (it's the only one that has worked for me over time that is without pharmacologic perils, and I thank my lucky stars for it on a daily basis. :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

A friend just sent me a link to a product called mydodow . It claims to help people to fall asleep more quickly.
    I'm wondering whether anyone knows anything about it or has tried it?

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Which brand of inulin did you use? Available in amazon? If it works for you, there's no reason I understand to come off it – it just means gut bacteria health is a main issue for your sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Has anyone ever tried a weighted blanket to help with their insomnia? One has been recommended to me, but they are extremely expensive, so I'd love to hear from others about them.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Does anyone have anxiety issues that lead to poor quality sleep?
    I find I’m anxious during the day then when it comes to bed I’m even more so due to knowing I’ll probably wake up or not sleep.
    What do you use to aid sleep? I am on Zolpidem at the moment which I don’t take when I go to bed as I drift off on my own but if I wake up I take it & possibly get another couple of hours.

• Sleepio Member

• 260 comments
    • 114 helped
    Graduate

Many sleepios started the program while using sleeping medications. For some of us, the goal of using sleepio was to stop using the pills. And it can definitely work. I slowly tapered way down on my pills over the course of several months. Instead of pills, I use deep breathing, and am starting to meditate. Try using sleepio techniques instead of pills.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have been having this every night about an hour before bed, and it seems to help. For one serving: 1 cup of coconut or almond milk, 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. maple syrup or honey, 1/8 tsp. ground ginger, dash cayenne pepper. Heat and drink.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I noticed long time ago that going to sauna, steam room or jacuzzi makes me sleep better. 5 months ago I developed insomnia and now proper warm up in sauna, steam room or jacuzzi helps me relax and fall asleep more than anything else. It requires less effort than jogging and seems to be more effective. Does this cast light on nature of my insomnia? I'm 36 years old male.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I take melatonin, not available in the Uk so have to order from the states. It definitely helps me sleep. Doesn't keep me asleep though, early waking. Though I'm getting 4/5 hrs instead of none.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I take melatonin too. Do you know if it's ok to take long term ?

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 5

You’ve inspired me to try the sauna. My gym is a couple of minutes away walk from so I could easily give it a try. Do you have your sauna sessions in the evenings?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

New to this site and don't take meds
    I would prefer natural sleep if possible
    Think I have anxiety and mindfulness problems
    I have no problem getting to sleep but can only sleep for a few hours a night
    Lying awake at 03:00 most nights
    Don't take drugs or drink given up smoking
    Any ideas would be welcome
    Thanks
    John

• Sleepio Member

• 260 comments
    • 114 helped
    Graduate

Hello John, and welcome to sleepio. I see you’re in the first week, so there’s a lot of information coming your way in weekly sessions with the prof. My best advice is to take it one week at a time, follow the prof’s suggestions, and read the community discussions and library articles on this site. Sleepio isn’t easy or quick, but it’s based in science and the science shows that it works for most people. Be patient and persistent. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, just wondering if anyone has used 5HTP and if so what they have thought of it?

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 5

I have been using it fairly regularly but had a break and started it again a week ago (Solgar 100mg). I also started to take Bimuno 5 days ago (someone mentioned earlier in this thread and said that it helps with longer nights). I do not take any other medicine/supplements.

I have felt more relaxed this week and have slept quite deeply. I have a lot of dreams when I take 5HTP, some people find them too vivid. I personally really enjoy them.

I have also tried to relax a lot more in the evenings with yoga, deep breathing, read on the sofa before going to bed.

I feel much more refreshed in the mornings and I'm not so anxious about waking up early. I think I slept under 6 hours last night and I'm feeling really well and refreshed.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the response. I got some 5TP as it was on offer in Holland and Barratt and haven't tried it yet, but am definitely thinking of giving it a go. I am a person who tends to remember dreams and I think I'd enjoy the vivid dreams like you do!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 5

Let us know how you get on with it. Just to add that the solgar 5HTP that I use also has some valerian in it which I is supposed to help with sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I took it for the first time last night (50mg) and I definitely know what you mean about the vivid dreams!!!
    I will definitely keep taking it as I do enjoy dreaming!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 5

It’s good isn’t it!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi CupcakeEnchilada,

I tried Go Tart Cherry tablets containing dried Montmerency cherry which I bought in New Zealand on holiday recently. Two tablets taken an hour before I go to bed have been helping. I have run out of that now, as it was only a small bottle and am trying Cherry Night powder, which contains Morello cherry powder and magnesium and one or two other natural herbs.

I must admit, the dried Tart Cherry tablets seemed to work better than the Morello Cherry Night powder. I'm living in Scotland and bought the Cherry Night powder at Napiers Herbalist shop. It has helped a bit but everybody is different. It might be worth a try. Some things work for some people and doesn't for others.

Return to top