Sleep remedies & alternatives to prescription drugs

A discussion where members can share and inquire with other members into alternative sleep remedies, such as herbs, acupuncture, weighted blankets, and hypnotherapy.

Posted 3 Jan 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 213 comments
  • 58 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Melatonin – UK? – Does anyone know where I can buy Melatonin drops for UK delivery please? I think this might be useful to helping with my particular sleep problems.
    Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Got some melatonin in the UK (arrived in 3 days). The only one I could get is 10mg… broke it and took a piece around 1/3-1/2 of it…. within the last half hour since taking it I feel bit more relaxed, so will be interesting to know how / if it helps… I'll update so anyone else interested can also consider should they need to. It's just after 1am – often don't fall asleep til 4am… fingers crossed :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I eat around 16 cherries before bed which helps. I also take Omega 3 and a combination of Magnesium and Zinc.
    Natural sleeping aids like Kavinance Ultra Pm gave me natural sleep, however, it has been taken off the market to be reformulated. When I need to I take Sleep Select from Moss Nutrition which works better when you split the 2 capsules in juice.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

So what seems to be the best sleep aid. I work a week of days 7am to 7pm then a week of nights 7pm to 7am. I usually stay up all day after my week of nights. And I still wont sleep. Tried all over the counter meds and nothing really helps. The best Ive found to fall asleep is midnights chewables.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have just started the program last week. In the past I tried SR with no success. Presently I am taking one Adovan and a herbal sleep aid UDream. With the combination of two, I manage to get 5-6 hours of sleep. Without them I cannot fall asleep or stay asleep. I would like to start the SR schedule as soon as possible but I have no idea when this is going to happen? Am I missing something? Is there anything I should be reading or applying?

• Sleepio Member

• 370 comments
    • 212 helped
    Graduate

Hello Oya, you should start sleep restriction in week 3. The prof will tell you when to start, and how to do it. Sleep restriction and the various sleepio techniques should help you sleep well enough that you won’t need pills. Many of us have kicked the pill habit while doing sleepio. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi CrissyB, just wondering whether you kept the weighted blanket and how you got on with it? My friend Pat was very positive about hers. She goes to sleep fine but wakens several times in the night. She reckons the blanket ensures she can get back to sleep quickly. I have ordered up a koala blanket for me. It is supposed to have a summer mode and winter mode. I’m not sure how it does this as it hasn’t arrived yet. All the best.

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Almondbank, I have been trying a weighted blanket for three weeks now and I am sad to say it hasn't made any difference at all. Very disappointed in that as I had high hopes after the various reviews I had read about it.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dear all,

Anyone taking a non-precribed med and sleeping 7 h per night?

KR
    Luis

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Yes – I've had some success with gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) 500mg obtained at a health food store and CBD 30mg (a component of cannabis) obtained on-line.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have spent a fortune in various supplements over the last couple of years and to be honest I don't believe many of them make a great deal of difference. I find it often just makes me more obsessive about my sleep and can cause more anxiety when I find they don't help.

I do take a couple of things still at night but have cut back from like 5 supplements that I was taking at night. I tend to take stuff now that I also take during the day for my anxiety/depression such as inositol and 5htp and magnesium as I feel they may help me in other ways and not just sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I have also tried several, currently take magnesium and 5htp alongside a multivitamin (to cover all bases as I can't possibly take everything linked to sleep!) Also awaiting a delivery of magnolia bark, i know these things probably aren't the answer as I took them all last night and none worked! Have tried cbd oil too with no success :( I'd not rule out any recommendations though, you never know!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Melatonin can only be prescribed to over 55s in the uk, however I ordered some from an 'online pharmacy' and sad to report cost me £30 and did nothing. My doctor told me to try it if I ever went to America, so on that basis I didn't consider it too unsafe.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

You can purchase melatonin in the UK at various strengths from a company called biovea.com which also sells many other supplements.

It is sent from the USA and costs around £4 delivery and takes around 1 week-10 days to arrive. I have just ordered some to try again 5mg time released and I think it was around £20 for 90 tablets.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried hypnotherapy at all for insomnia? I'm deeply sceptical, but also desperate!

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

I found something which had really helped my sleep more or less by accident. I had bee suffering from really bad IBS and after various different treatments including probiotics, inulin and various medications I found a probiotic called Elixa it is something a mega dose probiotic and you it comes in 6 day packs. After reading about it I took 2 6 day packs as my IBS was really bad and within 5 days if taking it I started sleeping so much better and my main trouble of early morning awakening completely disappeared along with my IBS. I continue to take inulin to feed my good gut bacteria and follows the rules of the sleepio course. I still have the odd night when I have trouble falling asleep occasionally but my pattern is pretty much the same as I was before insomnia hit.

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi mimiJessie, I tried hypnotherapy but to be honest I wasnt able to go under so it really didn't work for me. However it you look at hypnosis on you tube you might find that helpful. I used the Paul McKenna one and it helped for a bit.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Has anyone tried acupuncture to help with insomnia? Is it worth going down this route?

• Sleepio Member

• 207 comments
    • 49 helped
    Graduate

Hi John I’ve left you a detailed message on your Profile page :)
    Kurly

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Pre-course

The 4-7-8 breathing technique used to work for me but it no longer now. I am now trying out soothing sleep music every night, by listening to nature sounds to calm my mind. You guys can give it a try too. www.music-for-sleeping.com

Return to top