Sleep remedies & alternatives to prescription drugs

I am interested to know has anyone tried over the counter sleep remedies or maybe Acupuncture or herbs?

Posted 3 Jan 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 169 comments
  • 47 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm just about to start the sleep restriction part of the program tonight. Lately I've been taking half of a Zyrtec (antihistimine) at night and it has helped me to get back to sleep pretty easily when I wake up (like 4 or 5 times a night). Can I STILL take the antihistimine during the sleep restriction period?

• Sleepio Member

• 227 comments
    • 79 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

If you live in TX, like me, I recently (this week) got reprimanded by my Dr for NOT consistently taking Zyrtec coz my allergies are so bad. I only wish it made me sleepy. I have heard of people abusing benadryl which I think contains the same active ingredient that is in zzzquil and some otc. sleep meds, but I haven't heard of issues w/Zyrtec – it has a different active ingredient I believe then benadryl which is what seems to be the most abused of the allergy meds. If you don't have allergies, you might want to reconsider taking it but I do and take a full pill daily for allergies from hell. It doesn't do a thing for me that I can tell for sleep so whatever sedative effect it has must be pretty mild but if it works for you, I'd definitely stick w/it if you have allergies that it helps with – and if you don't have allergies, well…then I'd probably venture away from it in my own time, but I wouldn't think half a pill as any big pressing deal. Of course, I was on a ton of prescription meds so to me, Zyrtec pales in comparison and I'm not a dr and not trying to advocate your using it for the sole use as a sleep aid but I wouldn't stress it. People get off their meds sometimes during sleep restriction and sometimes not. Most taper and are on stronger stuff from what I can tell (ambien/zolpidem is a biggie and hard to kick). Do what works for you. Don't stress it whatever you decide. It will all work out.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi ! Occasionally have the reflux but was told to put 2 cinder blocks under each bedpost at top of bed to raise head chest high enough . Also sleeping on your left side is helpful

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

That is one cinder block for each side not 2 stacked up btw

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

hi, I have used a number of herbal supplements to help with sleep (Passifor, Melissa, Holy basil, melatonin – mostly as herbal extracts). They all seem to work for a time and then have the opposite effect. I have just started using some chinese herbal teas recommended by my acupuncture doctor and they seem to be working for me (so far) – Reishi mushroom (team made from the dried mushroom) and Chrysanthemum tea. The great thing for me that they have no after effect. I think the important thing for Chinese herbs to work is that the ones you use need to be the right ones for your body needs (as defined by the Chinese medical model). Anyway, so far so good.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

see a doctor (usually of chiropractic) that has special training in nutrition. Certain foods and drink is normally the culprit. Just have to be tested by a trained chiropractor in applied kinesiology. (muscle testing) to find out which foods are wrong for you.. Everyone is different…

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

I tried 5htp with magnesium and vitamin b 12, I took it at night. Initially I slept better and definitely felt calmer and my mood lifted, with regard to sleep it seemed to loose it's effectivness over the month I took it.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

For anyone who has problems sleeping due to digestive problems. I highly recommend looking into the FODMAP diet. I went through an elimination test with a nutritionist, identified foods that are harder for me to digest, and occasionally take digestive enzymes with I do eat these foods. Years of troubled digestive have been resolved almost completely.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am taking zodiac lone to help me sleep. Not sure if I should stop it now I have my sleep window. I am nervous about making my sleep worse rather than better

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Sorry that should have read Zopiclone

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 4 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Graduate

I am interested to know if you managed to stay off your zopiclone? I take it if I have had more then 3 bad night's in a row as I get cold sores.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

As another commenter mentioned, Melatonin always gives me these crazy strange nightmares…what's with that!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

I've used 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg in warm milk. It works surprisingly well. It takes four hours to work and lasts 8 so you have to do a little math. Too much can be a bad thing but I think it's part of why we are so sleepy after the turkey dinners.

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

For a while I was helped by having a small bowl of porridge just before bed, but then I hit a patch of very bad sleep and the magic stopped working.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I use dr Stuart's Valerian tea, lemon balm and a small amount of GABA, along with magnesium oil before bed. I'm an anxious sleeper as part of my problems but this particular mix helps me quite a bit .

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I have been taking a small spoon of inulin in water for the last 6 weeks or so and it really has helped.
    Watch The Truth About Sleep (?), Dr Michael Mosley,on catch up tv. He trials this.

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

I tried the inulin route, but it did nothing for me. Probably good for my gut flora, but sadly it didn't help me sleep. Glad to hear it worked for you. Anything (as long as it isn't harmful) is worth trying.

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Your post has inspired me to have another go with the inulin. I noticed it on the shelf yesterday evening and had a spoonful. You never know, it might work!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Re inulin – it worked like magic for me. I kept a note on the calendar and only had one or two bad nights in 6 weeks. Decided to come off it with this Sleepio programme in mind, and immediately my sleep patterns returned to previous. If I can't get good sleep after this programme I will return to it, but would really like to know if there are any disadvantages to taking it long term. I've found it difficult to find more information about the use of inulin to help with sleep. I remember Dr Mosley saying on tv that it was something to do with fatty acid chains in the brain, but the science was a bit beyond me.

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

It's really interesting. Sleepio is working for me, and so it will be hard to see if it has an effect, but I am all in favour of boosting my gut flora anyway.

Return to top