Sleep remedies & alternatives to prescription drugs

A discussion where members can share and inquire with other members into alternative sleep remedies, such as herbs, acupuncture, weighted blankets, and hypnotherapy.

Posted 3 Jan 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 196 comments
  • 56 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 6 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

You’ve inspired me to try the sauna. My gym is a couple of minutes away walk from so I could easily give it a try. Do you have your sauna sessions in the evenings?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

New to this site and don't take meds
    I would prefer natural sleep if possible
    Think I have anxiety and mindfulness problems
    I have no problem getting to sleep but can only sleep for a few hours a night
    Lying awake at 03:00 most nights
    Don't take drugs or drink given up smoking
    Any ideas would be welcome
    Thanks
    John

• Sleepio Member

• 291 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hello John, and welcome to sleepio. I see you’re in the first week, so there’s a lot of information coming your way in weekly sessions with the prof. My best advice is to take it one week at a time, follow the prof’s suggestions, and read the community discussions and library articles on this site. Sleepio isn’t easy or quick, but it’s based in science and the science shows that it works for most people. Be patient and persistent. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, just wondering if anyone has used 5HTP and if so what they have thought of it?

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

I have been using it fairly regularly but had a break and started it again a week ago (Solgar 100mg). I also started to take Bimuno 5 days ago (someone mentioned earlier in this thread and said that it helps with longer nights). I do not take any other medicine/supplements.

I have felt more relaxed this week and have slept quite deeply. I have a lot of dreams when I take 5HTP, some people find them too vivid. I personally really enjoy them.

I have also tried to relax a lot more in the evenings with yoga, deep breathing, read on the sofa before going to bed.

I feel much more refreshed in the mornings and I'm not so anxious about waking up early. I think I slept under 6 hours last night and I'm feeling really well and refreshed.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the response. I got some 5TP as it was on offer in Holland and Barratt and haven't tried it yet, but am definitely thinking of giving it a go. I am a person who tends to remember dreams and I think I'd enjoy the vivid dreams like you do!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Let us know how you get on with it. Just to add that the solgar 5HTP that I use also has some valerian in it which I is supposed to help with sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I took it for the first time last night (50mg) and I definitely know what you mean about the vivid dreams!!!
    I will definitely keep taking it as I do enjoy dreaming!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

It’s good isn’t it!

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi CupcakeEnchilada,

I tried Go Tart Cherry tablets containing dried Montmerency cherry which I bought in New Zealand on holiday recently. Two tablets taken an hour before I go to bed have been helping. I have run out of that now, as it was only a small bottle and am trying Cherry Night powder, which contains Morello cherry powder and magnesium and one or two other natural herbs.

I must admit, the dried Tart Cherry tablets seemed to work better than the Morello Cherry Night powder. I'm living in Scotland and bought the Cherry Night powder at Napiers Herbalist shop. It has helped a bit but everybody is different. It might be worth a try. Some things work for some people and doesn't for others.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone tried CBD for sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I tried one with mixed results. I found it too hot in the summer despite using it without a duvet. (my bedroom temperature was about 18-19C) In the winter I used it on top of a duvet – felt very warm and cosy going to sleep, often found when I woke up that I had discarded it but still had duvet on so I wasn’t cold. Suspect I may have pushed it off as I got too hot. If you suffer from joint pain eg hip or knee, I wouldn’t recommend as weight may make night pain worse.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Keep a note book and pen handy and if you wake up and start to worry about something then just make a brief note. You can then leave it until the day to think or take action about. That means you can go back to sleep without worrying.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Jollyjules
    My son told me about Ashwagandha (can be bought through Amazon and is sold by Best Naturals). He sails and a girl from another boat said she found it very difficult to sleep on a boat but found Ashwagandha really helped her. It has also helped me to sleep and greatly relieved my anxiety!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

One aunty. Several aunties. Carry carries, lorry lorries, curry curries, hurry hurries!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi everyone, I take a herbal valerian based mix from D. Atkinson called sweet sleeps. I think it contains licquorice as well as valerian. Another thing I fined helpful is a mix of valerian and ashwaganda made by Pukka and called “ nighttime”. I would like to phase these things out eventually, once I have made more progress with the sleepio programme, but fr now these are the things that help me to fall asleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi has anyone tried using a weighted blanket? I’ve just bought one but can return it if it doesn’t work. First night I got up and took it off, too hot! Last night better but not sure my sleep was.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I’ve been using cbd oil for over a year taking it an hour before bedtime and find most nights it allows me to go off to sleep within half an hour after getting into bed, but it doesn’t prevent broken sleep, I’m still wakening up many times during the whole night and therefore tired in the morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Melatonin – UK? – Does anyone know where I can buy Melatonin drops for UK delivery please? I think this might be useful to helping with my particular sleep problems.
    Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Got some melatonin in the UK (arrived in 3 days). The only one I could get is 10mg… broke it and took a piece around 1/3-1/2 of it…. within the last half hour since taking it I feel bit more relaxed, so will be interesting to know how / if it helps… I'll update so anyone else interested can also consider should they need to. It's just after 1am – often don't fall asleep til 4am… fingers crossed :)

Return to top