Dealing with tiredness headaches

A place for Sleepio members to discuss how they can deal with headaches due to tiredness.

Posted 31 Mar 2015 at 2:28 PM
  • 20 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

I’ve suffered from tiredness headaches (not migraine) for years and I’ve noticed that since starting Sleep Restriction I’ve been getting them more often and they’re more severe, the obvious solution to these are painkillers but I’d prefer not to begin that daily cycle.

How do people deal with the frequency of tiredness headaches and what do they find best to ease the pain without painkillers or going back to bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Well again I’ve woken up with a headache this morning and caffeine seems to be the obvious solution as sleeping at my desk appears to be frowned upon for some reason.

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Hi onezerodark, headaches and poor sleep do go together for me too. I don;t have any better suggestion than you make, but hope your sleep improves soon. SR is a big change and does eventually concentrate sleep so the quality improves, but on hte way there it is tough. I definitely have better sleep (did Sleepio first last summer) and when that drops I know hte reason why and how to get it back. Usually it is a form of SR – going to bed later or getting up middle of night because I'm lying awake, and sticking ot same getting up time. I feel much more in control of my sleep quality now but weeks 3 until when you feel a change for hte better are hardest. Scheduling less pressure if possible is best. Good luck for your sleep improvement.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Coming to the end of week 3 and was really struggling with the headaches for the last two days. Ended up falling asleep this afternoon for nearly two hour (ooops) but now the headache has gone, but I suspect I'm in for a bad night sleep…. haven't done so well today, but I'm really struggling with a 5 hour SR. I'd rather not go down the painkiller route.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I've been having tiredness related headaches for the past week , I'm on week 4 . I thought st first the headaches were just PMT related but I've now had 3 consecutive days at work with headaches . I've noticed a pattern , about 11am and then 2-3 pm I notice I suddenly feel drained , the headache starts and I struggle to focus . I'm making sure I stay hydrated , it's not my diet . I try to rest and refocus my eyes regularly and move from the office chair when I can
    I even listen to alpha wave study music in my earphones . I'm trying mineral/ vitamin tablets , can anyone else suggest anything ? I've moved next to the windows to get natural light but there's still the horrible fluorescent glare lights

• Sleepio Member

• 96 comments
    • 21 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi SleepioUser, I had headaches at around this stage too. Try and get some fresh air, eat small meals at regular intervals to even out dips in your blood sugar, and ease off any sweets, treats or alcohol in the diet for a while. You're doing everything right; keeping hydrated etc. I just think it's the body's resistance to change, as it seems quite common with others in the community at this stage. It did pass with me.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi sleepiouser, having the same problem myself. I don't have an answer yet, but you are not alone…......might try a bit of lavender oil on my temples to see if it helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi sleepiouser, having the same problem myself. I don't have an answer yet, but you are not alone…......might try a bit of lavender oil on my temples to see if it helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 22 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

I have had migraines but now, I'm an old lady and who says there are no good things about meno!!?? Anyway, I do get tired headaches. I'm just a head-achy person. I find that keeping really hydrated helps – huge HUGE (quart) of water first thing in the morning helps. I might have a bit of a nagging headache despite hydration, but this helps the most (without drugs) and the headaches are very tolerable. Just there. Like a dog that follows you everywhere. BLG

• Sleepio Member

• 68 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Read the 123 migraine elimination diet – find on Amazon. All headaches are classed as migraines. If headaches start at, eg. a one out of 10, then a 10/10 is the worst migraine. The spectrum goes from 1 to 10, or 1 to 100, however you want to score them. Even a hangover is a migraine, it's just that we don't see them as (hopefully) a life-long condition. Whilst there are such things as tension headaches, or headaches caused by sinus problems, they are all migraines. Lots of people say they have both these type of headaches, when in fact they are, you guessed it, migraines. If they affect you continually, then the migraine needs to be addressed, not by a visit to ENT, whose consultants only focus on the nose anatomy/physiology as the cause; and send you away telling you there is nothing wrong with you! I've got the t-shirt. My migraines started Nov 2016; went to ENT to no avail. First spent over 600 quid in Spires cos waiting for the NHS was too long. Spires ENT was hopeless. A £10 book gave me the answer. Migraines now controlled thanks to said book; but has left me with insomnia, hence Sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi SleepioUser, so relieved to read that other people have suffered from headaches! I have woken up ( or rather got out of bed!) with a bad head the past three days. I also suffer from migraines but I knew these were different. For those in the UK, I have found “head4u” helps. It is a menthol rub you put on your forehead and temples. Can buy it in any supermarket. Hopefully these headaches will fade. I am in the middle of week 3 and struggling with the sleep restriction. Am sleeping far less than I used to, only managing about three hours.

• Sleepio Member

• 68 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi. NHS neurologist advised, as does 'my' book, not to take any meds at all. Have managed this for about 3 months, not that I took many anyway cos even the triptan for migraine is not that good. And one is only supposed to take them when you definitely know one is starting, but as they creep on so slowly it is hard to differentiate between a migraine starting and just ordinary tension building up. Advised to cease all meds cos one will suffer with rebound effects of the original headache/migraine; and also getting too used to meds means that they work less well. Can't win. Luckily, if that is the word, I only now suffer with almost daily tension headaches to my forehead (allegedly migraine also, but more down the scale). So now don't take any meds. Will consider head4u though and report back. Only work 3 days so have to get up 2 hrs before to sit on couch with cold flannel on head. With my newfound insomnia I wake up early anyway so other than feeling sorry for myself and groggy, pushing to get up at 6 am is not too bad; I used to get up and out in 20 mins; and I'm female! Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 68 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Me again. 3 hrs sleep! I can manage 4 at best pre-programme. Better than most posts so grateful for this. Am only on week 1 and I have read about SR, but does SR mean one sleeps less than at the start of the course?

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 60 helped
    Graduate

Janeaway, do you think your recent headaches might be because of the unusually hot weather we have had in the UK? I too have had a constant ' background' headache since Monday. Wake up with it, go to bed with it. Sleep does not make it any better.

I used to suffer from migraines in Spring and Autumn. According to my GP that is quite common and is related to blood vessels in the head not being able to cope with big changes in temperature. The first spell of warm weather and then the switching on of central heating around October time were the culprits.

Being sleep deprived can't help either so, all in all , the causes are fairly clear – just need a solution now!

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 60 helped
    Graduate

Hello Helli. Welcome to the course. You are not alone in worrying after hearing stories about the dreaded Week 3 – but people live to tell the tale so it can't be that bad!

If you are only recording an average of 3 to 4 hours sleep in on your Sleep Diary the Prof is unlikely to give you a sleep window that is shorter than that.

What might happen is that if you spend, let's say, 8 hours in bed but only sleep for 3 on average then you will be told to only spend 3 or 3 1/2 hours total in bed. The whole idea of the sleep restriction is not to give you less sleep but to concentrate the sleep you do have into one solid block.

You may be set a very late bedtime or a very early get up time, which can be difficult. However, the good news is that if you sleep for 80% plus of your allotted time then the Prof will normally give you another 15 minutes at the end of the first week and again in
    subsequent weeks.

Hope this has helped and not scared you even more.

Good Luck. You will survive

• Sleepio Member

• 68 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

3 to 3.5 hrs in bed! Are you kidding! Promise not to put an ! at the end of each sentence! I thought I understood SR; obviously not. How on earth does one manage in work; never mind explaining that one to the other half. I now understand what SR is. Oh happy days, so to speak. Will sort out some DVDs. On the positive side, it would be lovely to sleep longer than 3 hrs without waking up. Thank you for your input; much appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 153 comments
    • 60 helped
    Graduate

I think you will find that the Prof is not a complete sadist and he usually gives some leeway. 5 to 5 1/2 hours seems to be the norm.

My first Sleep Window was 1.15 am to 6.30 am. As someone who went to bed at 10 pm I found that impossible so moved it to midnight to 5.15- still horrendous but at least my husband is an early riser so got me up then. You can move the Sleep Window forward or back as long as you keep to the same length of time

Think positively; if you are managing in work now on only three hours sleep then SR will be no different and from what you say you are having to get up very early on workdays already.

Good Luck. Sleepio is not a quick easy fix but those who stick to the rules do find it works.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hi all
    In my third week and have struggling with lack of quality sleep for a few years now. Has got worse since I changed jobs about a year ago as I have a 2 hour commute. Have started SR this week and should be on 12.15 – 5.15 windows but this is really killing me. Yesterday was the worse as I was unable to really function and found the office far too warm so have to go for coffee in the morning and cool down with frappe and sat outside for about an hour. Headaches are constant and really feel tired. Last night I managed to keep awake until 12.15 and could not wake until 6am. My usual time was getting into bed around 10pm so finding this really hard. Drinking lots of water and trying to remain active but feel so lethargic. Really determined to stick to the windows but really finding it tough.

• Sleepio Member

• 105 comments
    • 32 helped
    Graduate

Apologies that no one has responded to your post. I think it maybe because there have been a lot of new posts recently and the discussion group you posted in has got pushed lower down the page. Posting on your profile page goes onto the rotating banner at the top and that is where most people look first so if you ever want a quick response try that.

Sleep restriction week is horrible but if you stick with it it does get easier. Also, if your SE is 90% or above prof gives you an extra 15mins to your SW.I'm lucky being retired and I can't imagine trying this whilst working. Best of luck, stick with it and post or have a moan anytime. We've all been there and there will usually be someone who has experienced whatever is concerning you at the time. LIndsay

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

My doctor says not to take painkillers on more than half the days of the month to avoid rebound headaches. FYI...

Return to top