Dealing with Non-Restorative Sleep

This is a place for Sleepio members to discuss non-restorative or unrefreshing sleep. Feel free to discuss any aspect of non-restorative sleep here including your experiences and any advice you may have!

Posted 7 May 2015 at 11:02 AM
  • 24 comments
  • 10 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone
    I've done a sleep study, got connected to tons of wires and the result was: cognitive sleep therapy is what you need. I am not quite sure what that actually means. I would guess it has to do with the negative thoughts?
    Cheers

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

It basically means training your brain to sleep. In so doing so you are training your body to get out of the negative cycle. Unfortunately there is no magic pill.

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi I have just graduated and my sleep length has really improved on this course. I am now up to above 80% nearly every night. However I do not feel rested. I am falling asleep during the day or evening if I am sat down, and at work my eyes are very heavy. I do have pernicious anaemia and this may be responsible. I just want a day where I can feel like I have had some sleep, instead of feeling drained all the time.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I relate to this. I have ME and it got to the point where it felt like there was no distinction between day and night. I still struggle with sleep but using Sleepio has meant that I can see a greater distinction between day and night. I don't go to bed until I am sleep-tired… and that can be really late. It's boring but better than tossing and turning all night.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 5

I also have the same issue with non-restorative sleep. I wake up often during the night, and while usually I can get back to sleep, I feel totally unrested the next day. 2 months ago I bought a fitness tracker that was recommended by a sleep doc for being best at tracking sleep (Jawbone Up3). The data show that I spend less than an hour per night in deep sleep, confirming what I already knew--even though I spend 8 hrs in bed, I'm not getting quality sleep (avg for woman my age is 2.5hr). So far, everything in the sleepio course has been geared to helping one fall asleep, not helping one achieve deep sleep--did I waste my money?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi DaisyJuke. I share in your frustration. I don't really feel this course or my doctor really understand my problem. It seems most therapy for sleep is helping people get to sleep or not wake up for long periods…which neither is a problem for me. My problem is the sleep I do get is terrible, non-restorative sleep. Although I'm technically sleeping (Sleepio rates me at 80+%...yay!!), I'm not getting restful sleep. For all Sleepio knows, my diary suggests I'm doing great….but waking up 15-20 times a night is not good regardless of how long those wake periods last. Just feeling super frustrated. Glad to know someone else shares the same problem and I'm not alone.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 1

@fortej1: How about suggesting this as a feedback to Sleepio to flag patterns like this and define new metrics. Indeed as you mentioned, the sleep efficiency measure would be misleading in cases like the ones you've described.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Fortej1, I have only just signed up for this course, but I feel like I may be in the same boat as you, as sometimes I feel like I sleep all night without waking up, but it is not refreshing deep sleep. I am going to see how the course goes, as I have only just been told by mt GP that the fatigue might be down to mild depression. I have done all other tests to rule out anything medical. Could there be any underlying factors for you that could be causing this fatigue?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have this problem also. Just gone into week 3 and wondering if SR is worthwhile if it's not going to fix the problem of me getting 20-30 mins of deep sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have this problem also. Just gone into week 3 and wondering if SR is worthwhile if it's not going to fix the problem of me getting 20-30 mins of deep sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Daisyjuke, how is your sr going? I've only just started mine, my sleep efficiency is already 85%, but my quality of sleep is still very poor, I'm not sure sr is going to help with this, I was wondering if you have noticed a difference?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

What can I do to sleep better during the hours I am sleeping?

I almost dont wake up at night, and I have not had problems fallen asleep, but I feel so tired :(

• Sleepio Member

• 25 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

SRT is working for me but still very up and down. I'm having more and more good nights but find it hard not to be an emotional wreck when I have a couple of bad nights in a row. I'm also very tired and miss the person that I used to be before insomnia started 5 months ago. Had a whole week of 90 + % efficiency last week, which was encouraging. It was followed by a 3/4 not great nights but I let worry and doubt take over so I'm learning that attitude is essential. Positive affirmations and mindfulness make sleep so much easier. However, when going through this, negativity, doubt and self loathing is bound to come up and I think that judging yourself for negative feelings just makes it work. I'm coming to the conclusion that acceptance is probably the key. It's better to be mindful of bad feelings (anxiety, sadness, tiredness) and try to feel the, without judgement. Try hard to have good day after a bad night but, at the same time, don't beat yourself for wanting to cry all day (which is what I do a lot of) . Focus on the good nights only, if you can, remember them and keep telling yourself that you can/are sleeping well.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Have you considered a sleep study? I did one because I was consistently waking up with a migraine. It turned out I needed a c-pap machine. I haven't mastered mine yet but feel it is bound to help with restorative sleep and already a decrease in morning migraines in 10 days.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Have you considered a sleep study? I did one because I was consistently waking up with a migraine. It turned out I needed a c-pap machine. I haven't mastered mine yet but feel it is bound to help with restorative sleep and already a decrease in morning migraines in 10 days.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi,
    I'm almost at the end of week three and its awful. I'm getting around 3 1/4 hours of deep sleep out of my 5 hour sleep window, the rest of the time I'm restless but not consciously awake if that makes sense? Just sleeping really lightly. After three nights I was at 75% and now I'm back down to 60%. Today I really struggled to get out of bed at 7 and finally climbed out at 8 and then ended up napping for nearly 2 hours this afternoon (I had some wine at lunch time…). I feel so much better for the nap, but now I'm worried it will affect my sleep this evening.
    Ugh, this is tough, I'm struggling at work with so little sleep, I'm snapping at my kids and I'm a misery to be around. And up til my nap this afternoon, I was getting a horrendous headache. I'm not sure how long I can stick at this for…
    Anyone else had similar experiences and came out the other side? I just want to be able to go to sleep and wake up rested.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Quality of sleep is a problem for me. I literally can't remember the last time I woke up of a morning feeling good refreshed and rearing to go..!!
    The result is most days I'm easily tired, get short tempered, and some times have trouble concentrating.
    I also think this long term sleep problem is affecting my general health (mental and physical) and relationships.
    That is why I've started these sessions here on Sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 42 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

While personally I don't (yet!) have this problem, one thing that I've experienced is thinking I am awake when in fact I haven't been. For example, my wife sometimes works very late, and a couple of weeks ago I told her I'd seen the clock and it it said 2:30 and I knew that I'd been awake for ages in the night. She replied that in fact she'd come into the bedroom at about 1:00 and went to bed at 2:30 and could tell from my breathing that I was fast asleep both times (I don't snore, but lie on my back sort of slowly “puffing”).

I suppose this was a sort of dream of sleeplessness brought about by the feeling of actually being awake on previous nights. When this has happened, I've woken up reasonably rested though, so perhaps it's not the same as others' describe here? On the times it's happened, I've usually had some alcohol in the evening, which might be a contributing factor.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Good morning
    So here's my question. I work 2 jobs and my night job is cleaning of offices. Some nights are more busier than others. So here's my question. I usually sleep sound when I am totally exhausted. However when I wake up in the morning, I'm still not feeling like I had good sleep at all. My average sleep is about 7 to 71/2 hours at least 4 times weekly. Then other times I get about 6 hours.

My hours getting home from my second job can go anywhere from 9 p.m. through 1 a.m., depending on the size of the location.

I most days I still feel very sleepy by the afternoon time and I have to drink coffee with a lot of caffeine in it to stay awake.

Return to top