Cycles that affect our lives

What cycles most affect one's everyday life? (My notion is that most have lost connection with the earth and its life-giving band.)

For example, my gardens are tended in accordance with the moon. Since I grow our food or buy it locally, and process it, the seasons are dear to me. Each brings its own unique processes.

Being a huge football fan, its season changes what I do.

You get the idea?

Posted 23 Dec 2011 at 1:15 PM
  • 27 comments
  • 25 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi andy – thanks for the info – I am interested that you say increase the wattage of your light bulbs because othalian drew out attention in the Graduate Room to this link: http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/LightDark.htm
    which says bright artificial light (especialyy blue light) reduces the production of melatonin and therefore stops you feeling sleepy? I don't know how reliable the study is and it is aimed at people with bi-polar disorder particularly. Just wondered if you'd heard about it and what you thought?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Cant say I have heard of the study , I do know some people struggle with not much sunlight in the winter months, the advice I found online

Are artificial bulbs blue light? Im not sure

I was advised by my Doctor to try Vitamin D as this helps with Fibromyalgia according to wikpedia the nickname for vitamin d is the sunshine vitamin, I am sure we all need sunshine if anything to pick us all up and make us happy

lots of people try Melatonin slow release tablets for some cases of Insomnia , I am pretty sure as opposed to taking Z drugs like Zopiclone etc these wouldnt be as addictive,.

Sorry I cant answer your question about BiPolar disorder although depressed I am not quite that bad :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 1153 comments
    • 246 helped
    Graduate

I just copied your advice so I can read it over at leisure when I need it. thanks for the information. I seem to need some sort of action when I am down. Strolling or filling bird feeders and wildlife posts or some sort of art work or sewing. Something to get my head onto another topic. Yoga helps me also. I can not feel like doing it and come out feeling positive and energized. In touch and in sync with the earth.

• Sleepio Member

• 1153 comments
    • 246 helped
    Graduate

The full wolf moon is coming up on 9 Jan. Full moons always affect my balance and general feelings. More emotional and just not in sync.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I'd guess the fuller the moon the more the pull on the fluid in our various systems. Some will be more sensitive than others. The ancients must have noted this as well. Hence the word lunatic.

I would guess that NASA will have looked at this for the astronauts and the moon landing. I wonder if this has been shared anywhere?

I'm trying to influence my lymphatic system by using a rebounder/trampoline for a short period. It is good exercise and non-shocking to the joints as well as the gravity apparently multiplies the weight bearing part of it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1153 comments
    • 246 helped
    Graduate

We have an inversion table. Lay on it and then flip it upside down. Hang there and there is relief from compressed back and fluids draining to one's feet. I also lay on the floor and throw my legs up onto the wall. Then walk the feet up the wall. It feels heavenly.

You have something with your observation that our fluids must be influenced by the moon's phases. Why would they not? We are mostly liquid anyway. I think I am too ole for a trampoline.

In college three ex-navy divers and myself worked up a routine on a huge trampoline. We gave half time shows at basketball games. It was great fun, but my high flying days are over. I use “Gentle Bends” yoga and pilates as formal practices. Of course housework and gardening helps also. Lots of stretching and such… It still does not end the odd feelings during the full of the moon.

• Sleepio Member

• 254 comments
    • 100 helped
    Graduate

Definately when you live in a place like the UK the weather changes can effect you, just simply the changes in the amount of light and how it effects your routine makes you feel more restricted in what you can do when it gets darka lot earlier in the winter. I think going outside less whatever the weather will have a detrimental effect on you, speaking to less people, doing less excerices, seeing less variety. Not to mention the chemical effects from the lack of daylight.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Finland has a high rate of suicide. In summer 24 hours of daylight. In winter 24 hours of darkness. People complain that they can't sleep in summer. So it seems that mental health is directly affected by sleep patterns.

• Sleepio Member

• 254 comments
    • 100 helped
    Graduate

Also if you look at the league table of places that have the highest levels of things like alcoholism, you get places like Greenland coming up!

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi not sure if any body has seen this but I found it interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/magazine-16964783

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

Here in the U.S. tonight we have our day-light savings time related time change. The dreaded “spring forward” of clocks by one hour. I know this is bound to influence SR schedules and I'm wondering how others plan to cope. In addition, I have to be up two hours early for a work event and it seems like a set up for sleep deprivation tomorrow. Not looking forward to this, to say the least.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I have noticed I get fewer hours sleep on the night before and the first few nights of my menstrual period. I imagine this is due to falling oestrogen levels (or one of the associated hormonal changes premenstrually.) This did not occur when I took the combined oral contraceptive pill. A good thing about having noticed this pattern is that I know it will pass if I wait it out (just like the irritability.) I've learned not to make major life decisions during this time! I fear this predicts what my sleep will be like during menopause.

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I get fewer hours of sleep during tax season. I try to get what I can, but I find I often don't have four to five hours available for sleep during that time.

I have noticed that as long as I have a client, and can keep busy, my alertness remains up, but if I sit with nothing to do (like in March), I have a tendency to nod off a bit. I switched tax companies, and I'm now not the sole operator of the office, so I can get up and have a break, walk around, get something to keep me awake. I go for 5 hour energy and I used to use caffeine tablets, but after a particularly bad reaction, I stopped using those entirely.

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Since I see you're talking about lighting, I wonder how much impact red lighting would have on sleep, would it make it any easier than white light? You may notice at certain times of the day, the sun gives off a reddish hue, usually early morning and late afternoons.

I sleep during the day, and even with the blinds closed (they're always closed) it's usually pretty bright in my room, definitely enough to read by. I've gone to sleep with sunglasses on a few times, just the cheap plastic ones.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I seem to sleep better in the day then at night. I was told that since I was born at 12:34 am that, that makes me a night owl. If I come home and go to bed at 5p and wake up at midnight or 1am I feel fine, so if I go to bed any later I have a hard time falling asleep. The only problem is this is to realistic. I have 2 online companies which I have constant training for and a day job from 6:30a to 2:30p and I need to exercise and sometimes babysit my 98 year old grandmother. I constantly feel all over the place.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Have you tried natural supplements to fall asleep with?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Are you able to lightly jog or swim? Those two things do help me fall asleep when I have the time to do them. For some reason they do not give me energy. They tire me out.

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I usually don't have trouble getting to sleep, it's just that I generally wake up after four to five hours. This weekend I stayed with a friend, and I was shocked, because I slept for 12 hours, on her couch. I think I briefly awoke when her kids got up, but she didn't wake until about the same time I did.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Really sorry i clicked the flag button not knowing what it was and now it's as if i reported it as innapropriate and i can“t undo it

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I am new to this and I am hoping to finds some answers

Return to top