Coping with noise

Do you find that noise affects your sleep?

Posted 10 Jul 2015 at 1:36 PM
  • 51 comments
  • 18 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

My issue with noise is slimply…. My pets. My dogs bark when they know there is a wild animal outside. My cat whants in and out throughout the night. I have to get up a couple of times a night due to night sweats. I wish there was a solution.

• Sleepio Member

• 370 comments
    • 224 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Have the pets always been a problem, or are you just noticing it since starting sleepio? I don’t have pets, so I can’t comment on that.

But night sweats? Oh yeah. But I’m the opposite. I’m freezing cold until a hot flash kicks in. So imagine electric blanket on high, sweatsuit with hoodie, gloves, and thick socks. All year around. I’m taking a hormone that helps to some extent, but isn’t a cure all. I have 2 sisters with breast cancer, so I shouldn’t be on hormones at all. But I told my doctor that it’s a quality of life issue, and she ageees.

I had a friend who went to the guest room to sleep when she had a night sweat, because the sheets were cool. I’m sure you already have a fan, and thermos of ice on the night stand. I’ve heard of pajamas, pillows, and sheets that are good for people with night sweats, but I haven’t tried any.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I hope you find a solution.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi rbjnx. I haven't tried this, but you have answered my question. I was trying to find out what this desensitisation technique entailed.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I used to live in a flat in a student area, where loud parties were the norm. Sometimes window-rattling noisy music at 3:30 am. No earplugs can combat that.

I've since moved to a quiet little cul-de-sac with only six flats, but the house is so poorly built I can hear both the upstairs and downstairs neighbour as they walk about or open doors or cupboards, flush toilets, or talk. Many times have I been woken up by the upstairs neighbour coming home from the pub at 3 am. He's a nice guy, and considerate, it's just that noise travels so easily in this house. For many years, I used to have earplugs every night, but I've not done so in about 18 months. Why? I sleep so poorly, my skin doesn't heal properly. My ears still haven't healed from the constant friction, even though it's been 18 months, and it's now quite painful to use earplugs, so I only do it as a very last resort. But back when I could use them, I'm pretty sure they saved me from waking up too many times, I'm quite sensitive to noise when sleeping.

So, to resolve this, I used to have the TV on to drown out any potential noise. Now, of course, having the TV on is a big CBT no-no, so now that I've started with it again I've switched to having some music on. This has two benefits. One, it drowns out most noise. Two, it makes it easy to know at what time I fall asleep. If I remember hearing track 5 on an album but not track 6, that means I must have fallen asleep roughly 27 minutes after I started the album. Or however long the songs are on that particular album. The music will switch itself off once the album or playlist are done, which is both good and bad. Good, in the sense that the music doesn't wake me up. Bad, in the sense that it does no longer drown out external noise which might make me wake up. It's not perfect.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I like to sleep with a fan on.. I like the constant humming of the motor. It relaxes me and I can hear only the the fan and it blocks my mind for awhile of thinking and helps me go to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=wzjWIxXBs_s&t=23858s

WHITE NOISE | Sleep Better, Reduce Stress, Calm Your Mind, Improve Focus | 10 Hour Ambient

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have a neighbor downstairs who slams doors at the wee hours of the night and opens and closes the sliding glass door. This noise keeps me up and I focus on it and then sleep never comes. I have a fan and white noise that I use and I can hear it over that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have found it beneficial to listen to podcasts in my bed before going to sleep. Not only will it block out disturbing noises but it also puts me in a relaxed state. It has helped me a bit associating the bed with something pleasant and not a pure torture bench. In fact sometimes I might even look forward to bedtime instead of dreading it

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077N97M22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best earplugs I have found.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

25 years ago, I was a shift worker living in a house with three young women. Friday night was a nightmare, with them playing music loud, getting ready to go out partying.
    I used to turn my TV to “static” (this was “pre-digital”), as the neutral hiss of the static, plus a pair of earplugs, would drown them out.
    A radio turned “off-station” to produce quite a loud static “hiss” would have a similar effect.
    (indeed, similar to the “fan” comments I read on this thread).

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 3

I struggle with noises I expect. I expect my partner to snore every night, so when he does, I feel my anxiety shoot up. I hate wearing earphones in bed, and my ears get super itchy when I wear earplugs. I often end up going and trying to sleep on the sofa, but by that point, my anxiety has woken me up and it takes me another few hours to get to sleep. I feel the pressure to fall asleep before him, so his snoring doesn't stop me falling asleep, which can add to me struggling to sleep. It was the same in my old flat, when my flatmate used to make her dinner at 11pm (she was very loud when shutting cupboard doors and our bedroom backed on the kitchen wall). I don't know what to do. My partner has tried arranging pillows differently and sleeping on his side, but nothing stops his snoring now.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Hi Chlöe

I feel your pain….honestly I do. As other Sleepios will attest, I have put up with a snoring OH for years but we are slowly turning a bit of a corner. 8))
    I saw a small video (which I cannot now find but YouTube it and I’m sure you will find one) about The Snorer using a piece of tape across the mouth. This makes The Snorer breathe through their nose throughout the night and helps to stop snoring. We are all suooised to breathe through our noses whilst asleep apparently!
    My OH just uses a wide surgical tape, cuts a piece off each night. He has been doing it for over a month now and he is much better. He can still occasionally snore through his nose, but it’s nowhere near as bad as it was. We also were in separate bedrooms for a year because he was so bad and he has night terrors. So my sleep was horrendous!
    Don’t give up hope of getting your sleep sorted – do you have a spare bedroom where either you or he can move to just for a month, whilst you get your sleep sorted? I know it’s not ideal but it might help you and he can be practising using the tape in the meantime.
    My OH says stick with it…it takes a bit of getting used to but it’s ok and he’s so good doing it now :)*
    Best sleepio wishes, Chlöe,
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

After living in rented properties for the last 21 years, I've used every type of earplugs in every type of material, but never found ones that were comfy enough to sleep in and actually drowned out noise. I put off using the 3M earphones as I thought they would be too big and boxy, but I've now found that 3M earplugs are comfy, easy to use and very affordable – I highly recommend them to anyone who wants a quiet night!
    I even use them if the neighbours are being too loud, and it's like they're not there!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20-pairs-3M-Classic-Earplugs/dp/B0079G4ZH2/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=3m+earplugs&qid=1595498630&sr=8-4

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Wow Esstta…I’ll look them up! Have been struggling to get ear plugs to actually stay in my ears!! Thanks!
    Kurly :)

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

I’ve tried loads of anti snoring earplugs! The best I’ve found are there. Good value too if you buy in bulk. https://britishsnoring.co.uk/shop/snore_calm_foam_ear_plugs_special_offer_30_pairs.php
    You roll them between your fingers to a point and the pull your ear forward to insert.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have done really well on the programme but have recently developed a new problem in that I've started to dream about loud noises that wake me up with a start and serious palpitations. The noise is so real that I have actually jumped out of bed and run outside to see what's going on.

I've had it now for a couple of weeks and have never experienced anything like it before.

Has anyone else had this problem and how do you deal with it? I've never had it before and it seems quite ridiculous!

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hello Sleep-seekers

I'm trying to find out what noise desensitisation is and how to tackle it. Can you help?

Thanks

Katharine

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

My personal issue with sleep is my mums boyfriend shouting late at night. Sometimes he just shouts, and sometimes he’s rude to my mum. He disrespects me and my mum is unsupportive. I think I’m going to have to tell myself that I am not responsible for my mums choices (to be with him), and when he is shouting, to tell myself that this is out of my immediate control and that this will pass. Just some coping things as I have struggled in the past and it’s better than my mental health deteriorating. And I also want to reduce resentment towards others. I am going to look into other strategies for reducing noice.
    Also, maybe my body doesn’t exactly require 7-8 hours sleep, but I will try and experiment. Although it’s hard to experiment when I haven’t been allowed to try and get 7-8 hours.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

What is the noise that you wish to reduce the sound of? Maybe you can find it on YouTube and listen to it for 30 minutes a day? Or record it.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

I've been bothered with noise for years but I've found 2 earplugs that work to totally block out noise, one is a foam one that you squish into your ear canal, MPOW, the other is a mouldable wax that seals your ear, don't remember the name … it's blue.
    I swap between them, both extremely comfortable and give absolute peace.

Don't suffer noise and don't do as I did listening to music or talk radio to block out the noise. Not good. Xx

Return to top