Coping with noise

Do you find that noise affects your sleep?

Posted 10 Jul 2015 at 1:36 PM
  • 35 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 4

They are: 'Muffles Wax' Boots make. But it could be any make. Maybe just being desperate i pushed them in too far. Just desperate to move.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I am starting to feel like an outcast. I actually sleep better with noise and cold. I can sleep through a party.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

fritz – White noise machines generate sound to drown other sound out. They can be mechanical (e.g. a fan) or electronic with sounds you can choose – ocean waves, crickets, etc. I've only used one once in a hotel that provided it, but they're interesting. Should be easy to find in an internet search, and they can be quite inexpensive.

• Sleepio Member

• 96 comments
    • 26 helped
    Graduate

Noise is so frustrating when you're trying to get to sleep, plus it's something you have no control over. The round wax pellets with the cotton wool round them are the best type of earplugs. the foam ones are rubbish. I've tried having my MP3 player on low, with some sleep friendly music on, although the ear pieces aren't that comfortable. (can you buy small earpieces?).
    I know there are headbands with small speakers built in on Amazon, but I can't remember what they're called, (sleepband??) and there's also a more expensive one that's bluetooth, so you don't have to stress about getting tangled up with wires in bed.
    I've also used a pillow with a small speaker built in which you can plug your MP3 player in to. That was quite good for me, but my partner could hear the music, so that's now in the bottom of the wardrobe!
    Eternal Optimist

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Its does when im wide awake and cant sleep
    But once im asleep unless it really loud i stay asleep

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Turning on a fan has saved me after years of trouble. I just wish I discovered this trick sooner. I've always had a very hard time falling asleep if I can hear talking, but when the fan drowns it out can fall asleep easily.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I second a fan. Can’t sleep without it.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, where did you get the round wax pellet ear plugs with cotton. They sound good. Who makes them? My neighbour sometimes is up at 5.30am in the morning and though sound proofing has helped mute sound i may be woken up by a sudden sound in her bathroom. All best, Qwertyhush

• Sleepio Member

• 95 comments
    • 54 helped
    Graduate

Eternal optimist is not with Sleepio at present, but here are some links you can try for finding them:

https://www.earplugstore.com/ohropax-classic-wax-ear-plugs.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noise-X-Earplugs-Wax-Cotton-6Pr/dp/B001E5CF26

Or just type the description in your search engine and you'll find several references.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I am a very light sleeper and any noise awakens me. If my neighbors are out on their porch talking, I hear them from my second floor bedroom. If my husband snores, I have to retreat to another room to sleep. I hear barking dogs from far away, motorcycles, big trucks – all from a distance while others do not seem to hear them. I have tried ear plugs, but even the customized moldable ones are very uncomfortable. White noise and relaxing sounds do not work, it only acerbates the issue. I am quite interested in the desensitization method I learned today in session two – where you record a noise and listen to it during the day while practicing relaxing techniques. Has anyone tried this? What type of noise should I record? Thoughts?

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

I've been using the Hammacher Schlemmer white noise machine for many years, and it's been very helpful in managing noise. I sleep with 2 of them right now to drown out barking dogs etc.

https://www.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=88606

There are other similar machines on the market. Sharper Image makes several. There are also apps out there. I have one on my phone called “white noise”. I haven't used it personally, but my sister likes it.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My neighbour upstairs can disturb my R.E.M. sleep in the morning when she uses the bathroom. I either wake up and then fall asleep again quickly thankfully or I am half aware of disturbance while i’m dreaming. Long term will this have a detrimental effect on my wellbeing as I thought R.E.M. sleep is the time we process information from our lives? I am thinking of practicing noise disensitisation to help combat the problem. Has anyone had similar experiences? What did you do? Thanks in advance.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Noise is the most disturbing thing that affects my sleep… even if I am a privileged. I live in a small village near Madrid. There's noise of planes all the day because it's in the course path for the airport. When I am able to sleep I wake up and the only noises that I hear are the tweets of the birds!

I grew up in the center of Madrid and lived for 2 years in quite a noisy environment. During those 2 years, my wife and me shifted our sleeping room to the least noisy in the flat. Luckily, there were no party-neighbours around.

My advise with party-neighbours is that just when they turn off their music, you should start with all that makes music that you have under your control put at full volume! Don't bother leaving it sounding and leave for work, etc. Repeat until you are respected… It worked with my neighbour.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

As often, it’s personal I think.
    Wax earplugs lose their form during the night in my case and so their effect diminishes.
    I found foam earplugs who are a bit longer than the average one and they are helpful for me. Although a barking dog at 4–5 p.m. next door still wakes me up.
    Never tried a noise machine.
    Thanks for the experiences!

• Sleepio Member

• 70 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Good morning rbjnx,

I was checking out the post – how to handle noise that disturbs your sleep. I am a light sleeper too. My cats could be moving about or there is noise from the kitchen from my hubby or our sons, loud tv, ect. I try to ignore the sounds if it's bedtime and I'm pretty tired and I can usually fall asleep. It's middle of the night or early morning that is the challenge. I try to doze off and I usually can, if I'm still tired. It's been a while since I did session 2 – I visualize the beach where I feel most relaxed – the waves are so calming. Water features are peaceful like a water fall, rain or a brook. I hope these suggestions help.

Hugs, Stacey

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I know this is old school, but for noise and light I literally sleep with my head between 2 pillows, my neck bent slightly with my nose barely sticking out the bottom. When my family's up later than me (my bedroom has a half-wall which looks down into the living room with the telly), I put in my foam earplugs, stuff my head in my pillow sandwich, and off to dreamland I go. Haven't tried this yet through the CA summer. Might overheat…

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

My issue with noise is slimply…. My pets. My dogs bark when they know there is a wild animal outside. My cat whants in and out throughout the night. I have to get up a couple of times a night due to night sweats. I wish there was a solution.

• Sleepio Member

• 290 comments
    • 135 helped
    Graduate

Have the pets always been a problem, or are you just noticing it since starting sleepio? I don’t have pets, so I can’t comment on that.

But night sweats? Oh yeah. But I’m the opposite. I’m freezing cold until a hot flash kicks in. So imagine electric blanket on high, sweatsuit with hoodie, gloves, and thick socks. All year around. I’m taking a hormone that helps to some extent, but isn’t a cure all. I have 2 sisters with breast cancer, so I shouldn’t be on hormones at all. But I told my doctor that it’s a quality of life issue, and she ageees.

I had a friend who went to the guest room to sleep when she had a night sweat, because the sheets were cool. I’m sure you already have a fan, and thermos of ice on the night stand. I’ve heard of pajamas, pillows, and sheets that are good for people with night sweats, but I haven’t tried any.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I hope you find a solution.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi rbjnx. I haven't tried this, but you have answered my question. I was trying to find out what this desensitisation technique entailed.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I used to live in a flat in a student area, where loud parties were the norm. Sometimes window-rattling noisy music at 3:30 am. No earplugs can combat that.

I've since moved to a quiet little cul-de-sac with only six flats, but the house is so poorly built I can hear both the upstairs and downstairs neighbour as they walk about or open doors or cupboards, flush toilets, or talk. Many times have I been woken up by the upstairs neighbour coming home from the pub at 3 am. He's a nice guy, and considerate, it's just that noise travels so easily in this house. For many years, I used to have earplugs every night, but I've not done so in about 18 months. Why? I sleep so poorly, my skin doesn't heal properly. My ears still haven't healed from the constant friction, even though it's been 18 months, and it's now quite painful to use earplugs, so I only do it as a very last resort. But back when I could use them, I'm pretty sure they saved me from waking up too many times, I'm quite sensitive to noise when sleeping.

So, to resolve this, I used to have the TV on to drown out any potential noise. Now, of course, having the TV on is a big CBT no-no, so now that I've started with it again I've switched to having some music on. This has two benefits. One, it drowns out most noise. Two, it makes it easy to know at what time I fall asleep. If I remember hearing track 5 on an album but not track 6, that means I must have fallen asleep roughly 27 minutes after I started the album. Or however long the songs are on that particular album. The music will switch itself off once the album or playlist are done, which is both good and bad. Good, in the sense that the music doesn't wake me up. Bad, in the sense that it does no longer drown out external noise which might make me wake up. It's not perfect.

Return to top