Coping with noise

Do you find that noise affects your sleep?

Posted 10 Jul 2015 at 1:36 PM
  • 20 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 252 helped
    Graduate

Earplugs!

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I use them, I still get woken up. I've tried all kinds but none of them block noisy neighbour doors and banging about. I can't wait to move, and I'll have to!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am hypervigilent by nature so seem to sleep with one ear open the same way whales sleep with half their brain active! I use wax or silicon earplugs which are great.

But has anyone found earplugs that block out deep bassy snoring?

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I'm decided to stop/pause doing the programme as the noise from my neighbours is undermining any progress I can make. I will be back when I get my neighbour free bedroom in my new home!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm a student living in halls and my biggest problem is getting to sleep at night when everyone is slamming doors until 1am. I get really frustrated and angry which causes me to stay awake even longer. For some reason I find it easier to fall asleep during the day when I take a nap. I wake up several times because of noise but always fall asleep soon after during the day but not at night. This is probably because I don't feel as much pressure and stress to sleep in the day. Does anyone know if theres a way to record naps into the sleep diary? Or should I just add the 4 or so hours I get to my night time sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

hey, I have the exact same problem! Since it has been awhile I was wondering if you came to any solution? I would appreciate it a lot!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Can you guys get a white noise generator of some sort? Or some properly comfortable moulded ear plus? I had the hearing in one ear become really poor so I sleep on my good ear if I'm somehwere noisy and don't hear much.That think when you learn to sleep better and relax eventually you'll start to go with it and the slamming doors won't irritate you quite so much. I know it's very hard though, just know it won't last forever.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I have tried this program for 7 weeks now and regardless of how well I stick to it, external factors such as noisy neighbours, housemates, drunk people on the street, all wake me up and disturb my sleep – my sleep quality can not be judged by your system and course statistics. Yes, I have 2 pairs of earplugs but this doesnt solve the problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I definitely find that noise wakes me up! I live in a hallway with about 60 other rooms and doors get slammed all night long and people speak loudly 24 hours a day. I've actually found that wax earplugs make a giant difference! They cut a lot more noise than the foam earplugs. I've also started sleeping with a pretty loud fan on as well. This adds some background noise and with both of them, it normally drowns out most things. What is really terrible is when the floor above me starts playing music. It will literally be so loud that my room vibrates. That keeps me awake no matter what.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 4

I use a white noise machine and have found that this helps me. Although it required some adaption initially, I now find that it helps my sleep. In fact, just turning the machine on now lulls me to sleep as I think that I associate the sound with sleep. My machine has several sounds to choose from and includes a sleep function so that it will turn off automatically, though I just leave it running all night.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

What is a 'White Noise Machine'?

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Ear plugs have damaged my right ear drum! Now more difficult to sleep due to the pain in my right ear, especially if I turn on it at night in my sleep. The pain wakes me up!

Best to move, but not feasible because of work in Central London. My advice: never buy a flat. If you can afford to, but a detached house!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Couldn't agree more! CBT does not deal with the problem of noisy neighbours. Absolute nightmare!

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I think the general gist here is that noise pollution is something out of an individuals control. No matter how much CBT/Thought processing/relaxation one attempts, it will have zero impact on sleep if disturbed by neighbours playing loud music. Ear plugs don't help. They are virtually completely ineffective.The base music travels through every room and through every floor board and bed bed. It is impossible to bear. In addition, I find ear plugs drop out during the night. Pretty useless.

Never buy/live in a flat! You never know who your neighbours above, below, left and right are going to be like. Many don't give a dam if they cause noise disturbances and the Environmental Noise Teams (when they come out) are completely ineffective. Buy a detached house out of the main city and travel in. The extra hassle and travel cost is worth it, if it means you get regular decent sleep. Can't wait to retire and move out of Central London!

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 252 helped
    Graduate

I can only speak from personal experience, but I started using ear plugs when we lived on a main A road, with our bedroom at the front of the house facing onto the road – ambulances and police cars dashing past all hours -but more than that, a snoring partner. Earplugs were the only thing that worked for me. I know there are all sorts of different ones, but the ones I use are the soft squidgy type and they don't go down far enough to reach your ear drums. I'm really sad to hear that you had damaged ear drums fritzmoritz – what kind were you using? Sounds like they could do with a health alert.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

They are: 'Muffles Wax' Boots make. But it could be any make. Maybe just being desperate i pushed them in too far. Just desperate to move.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I am starting to feel like an outcast. I actually sleep better with noise and cold. I can sleep through a party.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

fritz – White noise machines generate sound to drown other sound out. They can be mechanical (e.g. a fan) or electronic with sounds you can choose – ocean waves, crickets, etc. I've only used one once in a hotel that provided it, but they're interesting. Should be easy to find in an internet search, and they can be quite inexpensive.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 4

Noise is so frustrating when you're trying to get to sleep, plus it's something you have no control over. The round wax pellets with the cotton wool round them are the best type of earplugs. the foam ones are rubbish. I've tried having my MP3 player on low, with some sleep friendly music on, although the ear pieces aren't that comfortable. (can you buy small earpieces?).
    I know there are headbands with small speakers built in on Amazon, but I can't remember what they're called, (sleepband??) and there's also a more expensive one that's bluetooth, so you don't have to stress about getting tangled up with wires in bed.
    I've also used a pillow with a small speaker built in which you can plug your MP3 player in to. That was quite good for me, but my partner could hear the music, so that's now in the bottom of the wardrobe!
    Eternal Optimist

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Its does when im wide awake and cant sleep
    But once im asleep unless it really loud i stay asleep

Return to top