Chronic Arthritic pain helped by Amitriptyline?

Posted 30 Jul 2012 at 2:51 PM
  • 34 comments
  • 20 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Your welcome

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 219 helped
    Graduate

Wow Goldie your off to Sudan what a great thing to for others, shows what a great person you are and what a worthwhile cause it will be.

A neighbours daughter went to Burma last year and it was great for her to do, I sponsored her are you being sponsored if yes please let me know.

I hope things go well for you out there and you will be able to keep in touch and let us know of your experiences

All the best Andyx

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 219 helped
    Graduate

Henery I have found some info on Amitriptylin , this is taken from the official BMA handbook on drug information, I have cherry picked the best bits for you

Usual Dosage
    50-200 mg a day usually taken at night
    onset of action
    sedation may appear within hours however the full effect may take 4-6 weeks
    duration of action
    the effects action last for 6 weeks after stopping
    Diet advice
    None
    Stopping the drug
    never stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor

Possible side effects
    Common – sleep disturbance,Drowsiness, Anxiety / agitation
    Rare – weight gain, nausia vomiting, breast swelling (man boobs!) ,parkinsonism, loss of libido, menstrual ireegularities.

Interaction with other drugs
    Anti epeleptic drugs
    sedatives
    Antirrythmic drugs

hope this helps….All the best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Hi there folks

. I have had to stop taking Amitriptyline after 14 days as it was making me feel more and more ill with several intolerable side-effects. And I still am as it’s still in my system 5 days later.

I have emailed Sleepio twice so far, to ask them to remove this discussion as it is now irrelevant, but have not had a reply yet.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions in this Post!

Kind regards,

Henry
    :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 831 comments
    • 188 helped
    Graduate

Really sorry you got side effects Henry, looking on what andy has put above, it can take six weeks to get out of your system.

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Nancy,

Yes, that's something that I'm dreading now. And really hope it wears off sooner!
    As I'm starting a college course five weeks.

Best wishes,

Henry

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 219 helped
    Graduate

Hi Henry It might be helpful to leave this discussion as there are other folks on here that use this particular drug, it might take a while for them to get out of your system, I suppose dependent on how much you take, I will post on your profile mate
    All the very best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Andy. Will do mate.
    I'll reply to you properly tomorrow, will 'wind down' now best I can.

Have a good night yourself, best you can too,

beat wishes pal,

Henry

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 219 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Henry I know of several people who have Arthritis including me I have a wee bit in my cervical spine however I just out up with it

thanks again for starting this thread….All the best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I have anklyosing spondylitis, which is an inflammatory arthritis in the spine and I get a lot of pain at night especially when I cease up and find it difficult to even turn. I have been using amitrypline for a number of years and find it great. It definitely helps with the pain and the anxiety that I get from the pain. If I take it too late I am sleepy in the morning but if I take it earlier around 7am I am fine in the morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Thanks for that I usually take it at bedtime will try 7 o clock hope it works ,have a great weekend

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Does anyone know whether Amitriptyline causes dry nose

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi. I have arthritis in my lower back and both hips. I've had both hips replaced in the last three and four years. One was a revisit. The first time it was done it was like a gift from heaven absolutely no pain. However this time round I get a constant pain and sometime a bad case of the fridgets. My doctor's put me on co codamol 30/500 mg. This helps for about 4 hours then I wake up. Most nights I find it difficult to sleep. Has anyone with a similiar condition found a solution?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hello Roger,
    I expect you’ve had a reply to your problem from other people, but I hope you don’t mind if I add one too?
    Arthritis is such a painful condition, and each remedy that you try will only help a little. Sadly, as you have found, this includes pain relief tablets.
    Continue to take what your GP prescribes but add in the mental imaging techniques that Sleepio provides.
    This will work in two ways.
    Physically it will help your muscles, which are clenching around the painful area to relax.
    Mentally it will help you to move away from the place where your pain lives, so that you are only aware of it as a background thing.
    I hope you will find relief from your pain very soon.
    Kind Regards from Softkitty

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Hi Soft Kitty, what a great reply to Roger…do hope it helps :)
    Kurly :)*

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello, I've been taking Amitriptyline (50mg at night) for most of the last 16 years since problems with insomnia (early waking) caused by stress. I've tried to come off it gradually a few times in the past but it's always made my sleep worse and I've ended up going back on it.
    I don't have problems with stress at the moment, the Amitriptyline hasn't been working so well recently for my sleep and I get some side effects, so I really want to come off it completely now, preferably before I start my Week 3 sleep restriction after Christmas.
    However, my insomnia has been much worse since I reduced the dose to 20mg last month and I'm finding work and general tasks difficult and am avoiding driving at the moment as I don't feel safe. I've been reducing the dose since the summer, by 10mg every 4 weeks and am currently taking 10mg. Does anyone else have experience of coming off Amitriptyline and/or any advice? Many thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Hi Helen,
    If you copy and paste your great questions to your profile page – you may get answers from more Sleepios. Not everyone comes to the discussion pages, but when you post on your profile page – it is seen on the rolling banner on the Community page – more chance of catchIng someone who has taken the same meds as you ;)

I do know Sleepios have been on medication whilst doing the programme and have weaned themselves off the meds once they have sorted their sleep out.
    I would recon you discuss with your own GP too – none of us can give proper medical advice here.
    Best sleepio wishes and a Merry Christmas,

Kurly;)

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks Kurly – I will do.
    Sorry, I've only just logged in via my laptop and seen your message. It didn't show up on the version of Sleepio I have on my phone.
    Thanks again, and Season's Greetings!
    Helen

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have suffered pain like you but related to bulging discs and fibromyalgia. Used to take 2 norco twice and day and could go to work! It was like a knife stuck in my back by day's end and never comfortable to sleep. Gabapentin saved my life. I used to take 800 mg three times daily but now take only 600 mg twice per day for the bulging disc pain. Pain also utilizes our magnesium intake so my doctor had me take 800 mg Magnesium glycinate daily to support my system. It is highly absorbable so doesn't cause stool softening like Mag Citrate or Oxide. My fibro pain has nearly completely resolved with the Plant Paradox Auto-immune system diet by Dr Gundry. So life changing for all AI issues. good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nonnie,
    I was interested to see your message to Roger.
    Last year I followed the carnivore diet as strictly as I could and was doing well managing my fibromyalgia. This was all through the first lockdown – I lost weight too and managed to stick to good exercise every morning and running every other day. The cooler weather and further lockdowns have made me go off the rails somewhat and most of my fibromyalgia symptoms have returned.
    I am now back on ‘dirty carnivore’ in that I eat a few veggies as well as some nuts and dairy. I have already noticed a few small differences since starting again this
    week! I keep away from the nightshade veggies and I looked up your Dr. Gundry – he says the same about nightshade veggies.
    There is a Facebook world carnivore tribe and a female only one – but I don’t do Facebook – cba! But if you were interested there are many carnivores who have got rid of symptoms from many illnesses, anything from skin problems, psoriasis, eczema, to reversing type 2 diabetes, helping weight loss etc. Might be worth looking up.
    Once the lockdown in the U.K. is lifted a bit and the outside activities are re-opened I will go back to my lake swimming – it’s a private lake that has a higher concentration of magnesium and am hoping that will help again, too.
    Do hope you are sleeping better, Nonnie.
    Kurly ;)

Return to top