Calling all London-based Sleepio users! Would you be interested in sharing your experience?

We’re looking for London-based Sleepio users who are happy to share their story about their sleep and their experience with the programme. Your testimonial would help us to gain insight from the user's perspective and would be useful for those considering using Sleepio, but who aren't sure it's right for them.

If you live in London and would like to find out more about how you can spread the word and help others to get better sleep, please let us know by replying to this thread or by emailing press@sleepio.com. Someone from our media team will be in touch with you shortly to discuss your experiences.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 1:21 PM
  • 11 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi am happy to help if still needed,

PK

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Me too
    PB

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

And me!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Happy to help too

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Happy to help

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 4

The sleep deprived are too tired to read the instructions!

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

More than happy to contribute but I suspect the moment has passed.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

The Sleepio course helped in no way at all, I am afraid. It is really a glorified CBT course and that doesn't address my issue. Anyhow, here is a summary.

For the past years, seven days a week, there has been a problem of waking up in the middle of the night and having difficulty in falling back to sleep after waking up. I have to get out of bed, sit down, and wait for half an hour before trying again. That is usually successful, but can happen again once or twice. This middle insomnia tends always to occur three hours after going to sleep, then two hours later, and once more after that occasionally.
    Typically, though in bed for eight hours, I get five and a half to six hours sleep. There has rarely been a problem with getting to sleep in the first instance. Waking up during those periods of REM dreaming always has the same pattern. I wake with either thoughts going round and round in my head associated with an emotion, or some emotional trauma forces me awake.
    It seems to me there is an overactive sympathetic nervous system, the fight-or-flight response. It seems to be in the ‘on’ position during dreaming. The part of the brain related to inciting emotions (the amygdala) is linking up to memory retrospection (the hippocampus) and result in either a mini-trauma or a non-threatening thought going round and round in a loop. For example, I spend a short period of the day ordering Christmas presents. In the night, I recall Christmas parties in the past but no one has prepared anything, and then Covid gets a look in and all is cancelled. I wake up. I try to stay in bed and think of something else, but half an hour passes and I am still trying to sleep. So, I have to get up anyway, distract myself with reading a boring book etc, and then usually fall back to sleep.
    Simply put, there is a pattern of brain activity in the middle of the night when the brain should be at rest, as it was when falling easily asleep earlier. Emotional loops meet memory loops and I wake. In the past, but some 14 years ago, these would be panic-attacks. After six months, these changed to severe phobias (mainly claustrophobia and vertigo) or traumas. In recent years, now many years later, these are either mini-traumas or just mixed up emotional memories.
    So, having shut down, the brain wakes up again in REM sleep. There is a mix of fight or flight, emotion, memory and alertness. A vicious circle results daily during the middle of the night. This means that REM sleep is mostly fragmented, peppered with awakenings (some of which, I guess, I am not really aware of). This degraded quality of dream sleep results in daytime tiredness, irritation and heightened emotional responses. It has come to such an extent that I cannot watch a film where emotions are artificially portrayed, and also, I can easily be affected by someone else’s emotional response in the day. Should this happen, my heart starts racing, temperature increases and I am totally unable to fall asleep at the time of retiring. The usual middle insomnia usually results in high trauma after such an incident in the day.
    It seems to me that my positive and negative emotions have been affected during daily life. It does not seem to be related to anxiety, worry or depression. CBT has been totally useless in helping. I should add that waking in the night is not becoming ‘wide awake’. My eyes are still tight shut and I feel sleepy still. I have to force myself to wake and then distract myself to clear my mind, and go back to sleep.

Thanks, Cliff

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Happy to help

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Happy to help if still needed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Happy to share my experience if this is still relevant, as the original post is dated 2018.

Return to top