Bruxism

Wow…... I went to my dentist for cleaning on Monday, and the technician says “What’s with your molars, a bit worn down now!” I said “that’s news to me, never been told that before, and I don’t recognize it during my sleep”. I did mention I have a bit of insomnia and asked what to do about it??

The term is “Bruxism” which is grinding of teeth together (which when awake is like nails on a chalkboard!) So, on top of all that Ive been through (3 sleep studies, U-PPP, repair of deviated septum, u name it) now this. They took impressiions of my uppers and lower and in 2 weeks time I get fit with this little rubberized spacer that fits on the front teeth keeping the rear molars from touching together. It is possible this will add to better “sleep-sleep” quality. I would have thought the sleep study would have picked up on the jaw tension scenario (as you are hooked up to electrodes here and there anyways!)

Anybody with comments, similar plight, etc??

Posted 22 Feb 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 10 comments
  • 5 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

I happen to grind my teeth in my sleep at night too. My sleep study did not pick up on it because the majority of the electrodes were on my head. But my dentist did pick up on it. He has prescribed a flexible mold that moves your bottom jaw a little forward and it will also help with sleep apnea and prevent snoring. The cost is $400 and insurance does not cover it. I believe it will help you if you can get it at a reasonable cost to you. Good luck.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

I had a mould for the same reason – NHS, and fine, but that was a while ago; not sure if the NHS covers it now. Having said that, I found it impossible to use. Sorry! However, I found that changing my sleeping position did the trick. Might be worth a bit of experimentation.

My mother used to grind her teeth too – it's a most disconcerting sound…

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Session 4

I found out about 6 years ago that I was grinding and clenching my teeth when I went to my dentist with a broken molar. He immediately pressed some of the muscles in my mouth and jaw and I just about flew off the chair!. It seems to be more on one side than the other, but I have Fibro more on the same side too.

I was initially given a hard plastic protector which I wore for about 2 years but my headaches and jaw ache continued.

Then I found out through my osteopath about NTI Splints (not NHS funded I'm afraid). http://www.chairsidesplint.com/ and I've never really looked back. They do need replaced very few years depending on how hard you clench/grind, but I chose a dentist where I could pay it up over a 6 months period of time. I'm due to get a new one soon, but it's made a huge difference, it's just a pity you can't get them funded on the NHS :(

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 4

Here's a bit more info from the UK (Scotland) http://m.local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/25040-top-scottish-medics-team-up-to-fight-splitting-headaches/ that's the dentist I went to.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I don't grind I clench my teeth or tap on any area that feels wrong to my sleeping mind.
    I'm getting treated for Temporomandibular joint dysfunction otherwise known as TMJ. The dentist tells me this often happens after head or neck injury or also people who have problems with their bite for whatever reason. It might be worth your while checking up about that. It may of course be what you are currently being treated for.

• Sleepio Member

• 142 comments
    • 29 helped
    Graduate

Hi folks I also started grinding my teeth after I had a brain haemorrhage , I went to my Dentist and he said it was because of the brain operation and the the jaw drops back, it is quite painful at the time and I also had a “guard “ fitted and it does help. At first I thought the guard itself would keep me awake but fortunately it didn't seem to bother me at all !
    Best of luck with your sleep everyone .
    Trevor

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hello all! I used to grind my teeth at night A LOT but it has been a while since I haven't. I started quite young so my teeth are not awesome and it got to a point that I used to do a lot of movement with my jaws even during daytime – like reaccommodating it! It was painful and annoying and in my case started because I went to a dentist who clamped my mouth for a long period of time (he did not care I was a child!). I believe it has been over three years that I have not done it – ocassionally only. In my case what helped was that I became so aware of it and tried to link what made me do it as I noticed it increased when I was tense. It took some effort but trying to help myself by doing something that felt comfortable or that released tension helped a lot (I know at night we might not notice becase we sleep but at least in my casethe pain continued during the day) ... I think being aware of it and redirecting the tension helped lots. I do not wear a guard – when I was a bit older the same doctor that clamped my mouth for hours suggested it to me! My actual dentist did notice but has not suggested anything on that matter so hope that means there is an improvement! Good luck to you all!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I am a tooth grinder myself. I didn't have to have wisdom teeth pulled because I ground them to the gum line. I did have to have the gums cut open so the nerve roots could be pulled out. I did one so well, the root broke below the gum line in 3 places. I am picking up my new bite guard tomorrow from the dentist. I don't lose my bite guards, I literally grind them into pieces. This is going to be my third bite guard.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I also have that and I had a mold prepared for me. I found out about it because I was experiencing a lot of pain on my facial muscles, specially jaws, when I woke up. With the mold, it's been better, but I noticed that I started keeping my mouth open and lips contracted during the day. So, now, I don't use it everyday, only when I start to notice that my face is too tense. Yeah… insomnia, this… Not easy. But I also found out that if you sleep on your side with the mouth a bit open it prevents it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I clench my jaw and grind my teeth at night. Some mornings I wake up and my teeth are very sensitive indicating I did a lot of clenching/grinding the prior night. I wear a night guard that I place over my bottom teeth to help prevent excessive damage to my teeth. I am looking for suggestions on exercises or other remedies that may help relax my jaw at night to alleviate some of the tension.

Return to top