Bruxism

Wow…... I went to my dentist for cleaning on Monday, and the technician says “What’s with your molars, a bit worn down now!” I said “that’s news to me, never been told that before, and I don’t recognize it during my sleep”. I did mention I have a bit of insomnia and asked what to do about it??

The term is “Bruxism” which is grinding of teeth together (which when awake is like nails on a chalkboard!) So, on top of all that Ive been through (3 sleep studies, U-PPP, repair of deviated septum, u name it) now this. They took impressiions of my uppers and lower and in 2 weeks time I get fit with this little rubberized spacer that fits on the front teeth keeping the rear molars from touching together. It is possible this will add to better “sleep-sleep” quality. I would have thought the sleep study would have picked up on the jaw tension scenario (as you are hooked up to electrodes here and there anyways!)

Anybody with comments, similar plight, etc??

Posted 22 Feb 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 40 comments
  • 15 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 2

This was helpful to read. Both my Doctor and Dentist have declared this untreatable. I was given a basic mouth guard but it doesn’t stop me clenching my way through it and Dr offered amitriptyline which put me into a foggy bad place. The dental hospital said I just needed to relax (!!) which I know! Anyway clearly there are things you can do but my NHS dentist just doesn’t know about them. I will show him there are other options. Twenty five years of bruxism. I really need help.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I really need help.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I really need help.I really need help.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

gg

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Can you tell me if you need help with sleep at the moment or the bruxism?

Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi there,
    I would like to help you – is it for the bruxism or your sleep that you really need help with at the moment?
    Best wishes
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I grind sometimes. I found the cheap Walmart guard for a buck a good solution for a sometimes problem. I'm waking with headaches so suspect I am grinding again. If I grind through the somewhat softer guard, they are cheap to replace. My dentist said start there, mouth guard that also help with sleep apnea are $500 plus. Good luck to everyone.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

I've needed a nightguard for bruxism for 11 years now… my teeth and jaw are pretty messed up. I haven't ever correlated this with my poor sleep, though that's a good question.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jan M,
    Welcome to Sleepio- sorry to hear you have grinding problems and headaches associated with that.

My OH gets headaches every morning in bed – and I’m just wondering if it might be teeth grinding too. How long does your headache last and how can you tell if it’s down to bruxism?

The difference for him is if he gets up, within five minutes the headache usually goes and doesn’t come back even though he gets a cuppa and goes back to bed.
    (He’s not on Sleepio btw – and doesn’t care about staying up once he’s awake – he just goes back to bed with his tea and sin of sins – he reads on his iPad and or iPhone!!
    Thanks! I can’t really help much with this subject – I have been known to grind according to my dentist but I haven’t been doing it recently – but if you need any help on the Sleepio programme – I may be able to help with that instead – am a bit of an old hand now!! 80))

Best sleepio wishes
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ryan,
    I have left you a message on your profile page.
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi Kurly,

Thanks for the message in my profile -- i wasn't clear how to message you back directly.

I have hardly any trouble falling asleep. My main problem is I wake up 4+ times every night. Even though I can fall back asleep quickly, I'm left super exhausted and diminished every day (some days much worse than others; today is particularly bad). Any advice?

Thanks,
    Ryan

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Better sleep wearing mouth guard
    I grind my teeth in my sleep mainly on one side. I regularly forget to wear my mouth guard at night but when I remember I do sleep better – according to my sleep diary!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

A mouth guard shouldn't be uncomfortable- although mine makes me dribble sometimes

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I have Fibro so i suffer with insomnia, my Dentist says i need to get my sleep pattens sorted out.

I have actually grinded my teeth so much that i have ridges at the ends of my teeth.
    My dentist had to fill a cracked tooth and filled some areas on my teeth where i have grinded them away.

Its become so bad that i wake my husband up of a night grinding.
    A recent revelation is that i clench my jaw, ive never noticed that before.

I have the mouth guard but its just yet another thing keeping me awake so i do not wear it.

Im really hoping Sleepio will sort my sleeping problems out.
    My doctor put me on to Sleepio so its all fingers crossed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I broke a molar with my grinding. The dentist suggested a mouthguard, but I didn't want to spend even more money. Then, I cracked another molar. Then a third. The pain and cost of those repairs were way, way more than the cost of a custom mouthguard. I invested in a custom mouthguard. It's thin, comfortable, and fits over my top teeth perfectly. It's been 3 1/2 years and I haven't cracked any teeth or made my situation worse. I wish I would have bought a mouthguard after the first broken tooth. I am very happy wearing a mouthguard at night.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I also use a custom bite shield for the lower set of teeth, made of silicone. I misplaced it once and bought an off-the shelf version that was meant to mould to one's teeth after being put in hot water. The difference was night and day – I could not sleep with the hard mouthgard but the custom silicone one does not bother me.

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 8 helped
    Graduate

Sorry to hear about you breaking your teeth. I too have to wear a mouth guard and don’t want to. It’s also very expensive when insurance doesn’t cover it and it gets stolen in Spain. But your posting made me happy to.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

This comment is offensive, do not understand why it is allowed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Me too with this. I have a custom mouthguard ], not great but stops me fracturing teeth, Dentist said dont use the silicon home made ones unfortunately, Said there is evidence it causes more pressure on teeth. I dont know if this is true or him e=wanting to make money :-(

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Oh my goodness! There's so many fellow grinders! I hadn't consciously made the connection between my poor sleep and the teeth grinding. I got a night guard as advised by my dentist. It took me a long time to get used to it but if I forget to wear it I wake myself up with the teeth grinding. It's not the most comfortable thing but very necessary. I don't think I used to grind or clench my jaw in the night when I was younger. I wonder if it's age related? Or just one of life's battle scars?

Return to top