Bed-Sleep Relationship in a Studio Apartment

Does anyone else live in a studio or bedsit type accommodation?
The sleep-bed relationship part of the course tells me to go into another room if I can't sleep after 15 minutes, and to sleep, and only sleep in my bedroom.
This is not a possibility for me, so I have taken it to mean “go to another part of the room” and “don't get in bed if you're not going to sleep”. I think this would be sufficient in fostering a sleep-bed relationship, but I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences.
Many Thanks

Posted 25 Feb 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 15 comments
  • 5 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Hi quarmarama. Sorry I can,t identify with your problem exactly, it's easy to see what you mean. Iam sure you understand it correctly. Might be a good idea to identify a specific other part of the room, a comfy, warm but not sleeping zone. ( and not a naughty step), to go to when not asleep, for subconscious separation from sleeping zone.hopefully you won't be doing it for too long.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Have you got an armchair you could designate as your 'non-sleeping' space? When I lived in a studio I had to use the bed for everything, but I had a big throw that went over it when it wasn't being used as a bed – could try that as an alternative.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

No armchair, but I'm thinking I need to get something like that. The last thing I want to do when I can't sleep is get of my cosy bed and sit on the computer stool.

I guess session 3 has made me realise that it's no wonder I have sleep problems, neither my shift patterns nor my living conditions are conducive to a good night's sleep. Food for thought!

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

I have a somewhat related issue. I am an artist and work out of my home. As soon as I leave my bedroom many things catch my attention that stimulate my mind, either creative interests or work related -- and I also have a very social cat. I have a couch in my bedroom that I've been thinking of making my QHR spot, with a small lamp next to it. Additionally, I have blackout blinds to darken my bedroom so I don't “daylight watch” as well as clock watch toward morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I have a question regarding the bed – sleep relationship. I read earlier (not on Sleepio) that you shouldn't be using your bedroom for anything else besides sleep and sex. Would you agree with this?

I ask because I regularly sit behind my computer that is in my bedroom. I do however make sure I leave my bedroom at 5 PM and only go back when it's my bedtime at 10:30 PM. Is what I'm doing good for establishing a decent bed – sleep relationship? Or should I just keep away from my room altogether unless I'm going to bed? Sex sadly isn't an option as my libido is shot to hell….

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

What I'm understanding is that by Sleepio protocol one should definitely keep the room itself solely for sleep. Personally I can see all kinds of practical reasons this might not be possible for people. Since my post above I've decided that as long as I'm putting SOOO much effort into sleep restriction I may as well do it exactly as they say, in case it really does make the course more effective in ways I can't see now.

• Sleepio Member

• 435 comments
    • 248 helped
    Graduate

From what I have read on this site, the important bit is the bed. Some people don't have anywhere else to go for their wind down or night time wakenings, and I have read a suggestion of having a chair in the bedroom, or if there's not enough room for a chair sitting on the bottom of the bed. Just avoid being in bed and awake…that's what breaks the bed/sleep association.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Okay, thank you both. I'll try to restrict my time behind my computer as much as I can and definitely not stay in bed if I can't fall asleep. I've been neglecting the latter a bit because it's just so difficult to force yourself out when it's cold, even though I know it hurts me more than it helps. I just have to keep in mind that the longterm is more important than the shortterm.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 89 helped
    Graduate

Maybe put a cloth over the computer to further get it out of mind.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I live in my family home where the only place I can relax alone is in my bedroom. Therefore, I can't use my bedroom solely for sleeping.

Would reading/watching TV at the desk in my room and leaving my bed solely for sleeping help me to build an association between bed and sleep? If not I will have to forgo this Sleepio rule.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello,
    I am have somewhat different situation and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on the best course of action?
    I will be moving to a two bedroom apartment where the second bedroom will be empty most of the time. The apartment is small and the living space is open concept. Currently when I need to unwind and get ready for bed I can go into another room to read/meditate etc, while my boyfriend watches TV. This will no longer be the case and I will have no where of my own to relax and wind down. I am wondering if I could use the second bedroom to unwind – I would be meditating and in a different bed, but it would still obviously be a bed. I am not sure what else I can do? My boyfriend watches a lot of tv at night and I find it keeps me awake and anxious rather than make me sleepy, so I usually leave the room when it is getting close to my bed time. But now I am not sure what I will be able to do??
    Any help is much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Laura

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

totally agree with you. I am in the same position.

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I completely identify with you as my home office is in my bedroom. Since I have a small apartment I can't move the office to my living room. However, what I've starting doing is bringing my laptop into the living room and working on the dining table, returning to the bedroom as needed for supplies.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hello there!

My partner has very different schedules from mine, he works in a restaurant and comes back home around 3 am or 12 sometimes, at 3 am, he wakes me up because the house is tiny and then I can't get back to sleep, my schedules are walking up at 7. and even when I am able to go back to sleep he moves so much that is impossible to sleep, does anyone has related problem? i really do no find an optimal solution to this….

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I am in the same situation. Since I can't be out of my room/living area on some nights (a requirement of my living arrangement), I'm just keeping myself out of the bed and in pretty uncomfortable chairs. In some ways it is much harder. I've actually caught myself looking longingly at my bed (I know that's stupid). It's still working for me, though. The moment I get in bed I know it's for sleep. Getting out of bed when I can't sleep at night is a whole different story, though.

Return to top