Ask the sleep expert

Hi everyone!

We're launching something new and we'd love you all to join in.

Each fortnight we'll be opening Sleepio's doors and inviting not only the whole Community but the outside world as well to challenge the Sleepio experts to answer your burning sleep questions! Anyone and everyone can pose a question about any area of sleep (from long-term problems to getting the most out of sleep) and one of our resident sleep experts will answer a selection on video, based on the latest research.

Prof Espie has added a video on our Youtube channel explaining further which you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SleepioTV

We'd really appreciate the Community's input and any help you could give us in getting this new idea off the ground! So, to take part, you'll need to post your questions on our YouTube channel , on the Sleepio Facebook page or tweet @Sleepio, including the hashtag #sleepexpert in your question.
e.g. “Is there any evidence for the clock change having a negative impact on sleep? #sleepexpert”

Thank you in advance and we very much look forward to trying to answer your questions!

Posted 19 Mar 2012 at 12:19 PM
  • 60 comments
  • 8 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

My only question is will there be anything in the library about ADHD and poor sleep? I was diagnosed as hyperactive when I was six. And I believe I still have it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hello,

I just wanted to ask – I can sleep through the night maybe wake up once or twice but then can fall back asleep however when I wake up in the morning and throughout the day I feel so tired, I feel constantly drained and no energy to do anything. I sometimes feel that my brain doesn't switch off, I always have werid dreams and always have something on my mind – either work worries or stress.

I do feel sometimes though that I can sleep for a long time (over weekends no alarm for work and I just naturally wake up) but this sometimes makes me feel worse thorughout the day, still drained, feel tired, sometimes fall asleep on the sofa, don't feel energised or happy – is there such a thing as over sleeping? Should I be setting an alarm to wake me up? Is waking up naturally good? I just want to feel good in the morning and feel like I have got the rest that I needed.

Please help – any suggestions or comments welcome would love to hear them.

Thank you,

Pippa

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I am a68 year-old retired teacher who has been battling chronic insomnia for 13 years. I have PTSD and thus was placed on all types of meds, primarily for sleep. Currently on 150 mg. Seroquel, 1100 mg . gabapentin, 10 mg. valium and 15 mg. remeron for sleep, all of which do not help me. I've been on these particular meds for two years. My question is will Sleepio cover a section on how to wean off meds if I succeed on improved sleep with this course? My two docs haven't a clue as to how I'm to wean. Also, is it possible to succeed on this program while still being on these meds? thank you. Mr. Jody Chaney

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Also, I sleep 3-4 hours, five days a week and 6-7 the remaining two due to utter exhaustion.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have a problem waking up during middle of night, than lots of tossing and turning. No problem going to sleep, it is waking up midnight. Any advise?

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Is tea classed as caffeine? I don't drink coffee after 6pm but I do drink tea. I know tea contains some caffeine but should I class it as caffeine for my sleep diary?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have HDD and I sleep average 4 hours a day. During the day, I can go to sleep at any stop light, just talking to someone or if have to listen to someone or watching TV. I go to sleep in evening 10 to 11:30 PM and sleep for 15 to 30 minutes and I wake up refreshed and I can't go back to sleep until 2:30 AM or later. I use this time for reading, eating, exercising. I find if I eat (hi Protein) food it helps me sleep. I hate this schedule but I'm trying to use my wake time the best I can. Should I just go to bed at 2:30 and accept my situation. I have bee cutting down on my meds one at a time but nothing has worked. This has been going on for 6-8 years.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi

This may sound a bit of a strange one. I'm not really sure when I'm sleeping, or not. Generally, my sleep problem is revolved around waking too early; I rarely have problems getting off to sleep. I'll often wake somewhere between 3:30 and 4:30am. It then feels like I don't go back to sleep. But, when I look at a clock and it's, say, 6:30am, it doesn't feel like I've been lying there for two to three hours, either! I find this is then making it hard for me to work out my sleep diary.

Any pointers?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I have just graduated! I dont feel I was ready to graduate really but I did.

Since week 3 my sleeping window is 11-5, 6 hours but I only get between 56-70% 4-4.45 hours sleep during this time, waking once a night.

Dont get me wrong this is so much better than it was but I dont know how I can raise it to the 90% as it is consistently 70% or less and I am feeling I am dragging myself out of bed.

What can I do?

Thanks Julie

• Sleepio Member

• 96 comments
    • 20 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I have this too – exactly the same. I think it may be useful to use a Fitbit or similar to properly track what's happening.
    There is an article somewhere in the library about this, and it's quite common apparently. Makes it very difficult to fill in your sleep diary though.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 96 comments
    • 20 helped
    Graduate

Hi Tinker-bell, Are you eating or drinking after 6pm? Your liver is detoxifying at around 3am, and it raises your body temperature a little, so this sometimes can contribute to waking at this time.
    Are you nodding off during the day or the evening? This can also affect results during SR.
    Very frustrating; these are my issues at the moment too.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

I added a Fitbit tracker for the first time last night. I know it wasn`t my best night however I was surprised to find I woke 8 times and these wakenings lasted for 3hrs bringing my percentage right down to 51! I am interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experience and your comments. K

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Last year I read the Sleep book by guy meadows and now, whilst awake in bed, I can be very relaxed and feel rested despite being awake. I am a postwoman and walk approx 12 miles per day, 5 days per week and feel anxious about reducing my time in bed. Sometimes my mind flits about over my life but quite often I accept the thoughts and remain relaxed. First night of a really late bedtime before a working day. Eeeek, I'm scared.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I find Fitbit does that for me too. I have got up to go to the loo and been recorded as restless rather than awake and been awake for ages, but lying still and relaxed which records as restless?!

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

I think it must depend on movement. When I hover over the awake spikes, on the Fitbit Dashboard it is so short it doesn`t register a time. I have an achy back/hip and think the effort I use to move at the moment is such, it records as me being awake. I have decided to use it as a guide only. K

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi Salsify, you will be fine. We have been there and lived to tell the tale! Just follow the The Profs instructions, use all the tools you have available and you will start to feel the benefit. It can be hard but stick with it. Good luck. K

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

It was only my first night of restricted sleep and the sleep I got feels as though it was much better quality – feel better today than I have for ages. :) will definitely stick with it. Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

It actually went well. Felt more rested today but still woke up way before the alarm. Is it better to get more sleep before midnight? I could get up earlier then and make more productive use of my time, rather than waiting to go to bed.

Some of you are having a much worse time of it, I feel for you all.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have that feeling too. I think I have been awake, but when I look at the clock an hour or more has passed.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Can some one please advise me ? I am starting sleep restriction tonight and just wanted to know do I get up at the end of my sleep window even if I don't sleep for the time in my sleep window ?
    Thank you

Return to top