Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 2053 comments
  • 460 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

OK thanks for the encouragement. I'm finding the rules difficult to stick to, but I'll keep trudging through this.

• Sleepio Member

• 33 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Paul – I am on week 4 too – I had the same problem the night before last (you can visit my profile to see my post about my experience if you wish!) – but last night it was back to the alarm waking me at the end of my sleep window. It's this see-sawing between a reasonable night's sleep and a poor one, the not being able to get to sleep or the waking up in the early hours and not being able to get back to sleep, that I am hoping to find improvement in!
    That's definitely the right attitude ('I'll keep trudging through this') – you wouldn't have signed up to the programme if you didn't want to change things – so just hang-on in there :)
    P.S. I am finding that posting things in the community really helps – there are always people out there to give you encouragement

• Sleepio Member

• 126 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Yes that is tough Paul waking up before the alarm :(
    It is quite common however as the brain struggles to hold on to old ways as the new healthier ways are being implemented
    It is best to just stay up if you are close to your awake time
    It jumps all over the map and is most disconcerting

Yes it sure is very hard sticking to the rules :(
    But if you do ( as much as you can) you will find it all settles into a lovely stable pattern eventually
    I had much trouble keeping the faith along the way too
    Believe me!
    But the rewards are so worth it
    All the best moving forward
    We are all here for you

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 4

Hi,

Two questions here.

1. First, how should I log the quarter hour rule? Last night, I tried to go to bed at 1:15 am, but I found that I couldn't sleep, so I got up and I didn't feel tired until 4:30. Then I went back to bed and fell asleep within about 15 minutes or so. So, how do I log this? In the sleep diary, when it asks you how long it took you to fall asleep, do I enter 3 hours and 15 minutes (since I never fell asleep the first time) or do I enter 15 minutes (because that's how long it took for me to fall asleep once I entered my bed the second time)?

2. Has anyone experienced a “second wind” phenomenon? Last night I felt really tired about two hours before my threshold time – to the point where I was nodding off for a few seconds here and there – but then about an hour before threshold time I hit a second wind and wound up staying up for several hours beyond that. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 367 comments
    • 122 helped
    Graduate

It is a long time since I filled in the sleep diary WANB, but if I remember rightly I used to put how many hours I was awake in the night. I also found I never used to get that sleepy feeling so used to stay up for hours, like you are doing. And yes I used to fall asleep downstairs while I was waiting for my bedtime and when I woke and went to bed I wouldn't be able to sleep.. But I believe this is all part of the process that we have to go through to get to the point when things start to settle and then you get some good nights and some bad nights.

I am almost 2 years on from joining sleepio and all I know is that I used to do whatever Prof wanted me to do and eventually I started to sleep gradually, I started having to get up less and started sleeping through. I found filling in the sleep diary difficult but it got easier as I started to sleep.

Maybe one of the newer sleepios will be able to help you more. I still follow the rules but they are easier. I sit in a dark room for 15 minutes before bed and whether I feel sleepy or not I go to bed at the right time for me and I sleep. If I have to get up in the night I repeat the process before bed and it works. Wish I had tried that in the earlier days.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi WANB.
    I would enter 3 hours 15 mins it's what I do -- l still have the odd night like this. I am 27 weeks into the programme and I'm sleeping much better now, but I still have a long way to go.
    I'm going through a stressful time at the moment and my sleep has deteriorated, but I think this is more due to the fact that the programme is taking time to bed in than to the stress. I manage stressful times so much better, by sticking to the profs rules, relaxation techniques etc. I no longer worry so much if I have a bad night, as I know that overall my sleep is improving.
    The second wind phenomenon happens to many of us and as Ve says it's part of the process.
    It is a tough programme, WANB, but this is a very supportive community, so keep posting and you will get though it. We are here to help you!
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi I am in week 4. In week 3 I was seeing improvements and was attaining the 90% sleep efficiency. Week 4 isn't going so well. I wake up at least an hour before I should be. I try the QHR but don't end up getting back to sleep. Any advice?

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hello Paul.
    This often happens-- it's your mind rebelling at the changes you are making.
    I know it's no fun , but just keep going with QHR if you wake early. Perhaps just get up if you know you won't sleep again. This will pass as you mind and body get used to sleeping in a compressed window.
    It's very early days, so you progress is likely to be up and down.
    Let us know how things are for you in the next few days
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 367 comments
    • 122 helped
    Graduate

I agree with Megwich too PC, you will have good and bad times. Just when you think you have cracked insomnia, along comes Jinnys mad dog (read some of her messages!!!) and upsets the apple cart.

Sometimes if you wake up too early all you need to do is go to the bathroom, whether you need to or not, and try bed again and see if you can snooze for a bit longer. It is worth a try. I see you are on session 4, so you are in the early days but I am amazed that you have already reached 90%, well done, that is excellent. Sleep will be unstable for a while, but you have set yourself a high target, so keep up the good work.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone answer my question please, I have been on a monthly subscription to continue with sleepio after graduating in February , I'm finding it very difficult to continue with the course and I've lost my commitment , due to apathy and feeling low because of tiredness.
    I know I can cancel my subscription easily but can I pick it back up again in a few weeks , and how do I do that.
    I've been unable to contact the team , or am I overlooking some obvious way of doing this .
    I just don't want to loose contact with sleepio and not be able to restart my subscription payments.
    Thanks Anna.

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Anna the email address is:- hello@sleepio.com
    They will advise you about this.
    Perhaps a short break from Sleepio would help you to gather your strength for another try.
    On the other hand if you are sleeping better now than before you began Sleepio, it would be a shame to loose that progress.
    It does take longer for some of us to improve our sleep and there are so often many ups and downs on the way. I can really understand how you feel.
    If you do decide to leave for a time, we will be here to help when you come back.
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 60 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Megwich,
    Thanks so much for a quick reply, stupid am I to not know the email address by now.
    Yes sleepio has worked for me overall apart from the last two months, but thank you I will contact the team.
    Anna xx

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi all. I'm deeply depressed today as I'm a grad who's just really back to square 1. I am waking up again at 2am each and every pm. I'm exhausted and barely can get my daily routine done. HELP! How do I start Sleepio all over again? I'm too tired to find out if this question is out there somewhere…
    Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 367 comments
    • 122 helped
    Graduate

You don't need to start again SleepPlz, go to bed a little later tonight and do a good wind down, you know the drill, turn off computer, TV, mobile phone etc, and relax for a little while in a dark room maybe 15 minutes or so. Get yourself ready for bed prior to your wind down so that when the time comes to go to bed you can just get straight in and relax. Lay on your back and put your hands on your tummy and concentrate on your breathing, it will stop your mind from racing, do that for a couple of minutes or so then turn into your favourite sleeping position and try sleeping. If you can't sleep get up and repeat the process and try sleeping again. You will get back on track, it takes a long time to overcome insomnia, Make sure you get some exercise during the day, get plenty of fresh air and watch what you eat and drink.

Don't worry, you can get back on track. When you get a blip it doesn't mean you have to start again, you just need to make sure you are following the rules that Prof has taught you.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Pleasant dreams.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 1936 comments
    • 445 helped
    Graduate

Hello SleepPiz, you can contact the Sleepio team at hello@sleepio.com, I think that's the address, and they are really good and will contact you very quickly so don't worry. If you have a problem making contact let me know on my profile as I don't visit here very often.

Your present experience of the dreaded early wake ups are very common and most of us have and still suffer them but you will work your way through. I'm not sure you need to go all the way back to start the program again but maybe you could revisit some of the basics you already know. Such as a good daily routine to include a good walk, keep caffeine and alcohol to a minimum, healthy diet, but importantly also is the evenings and the period before bedtime. Importantly stay with a regular going to bed and getting up time and part of braking the early wake up problem is going to bed as late as you can and avoid dosing off. A good hour before bedtime turn off TV and computers and sit in a darkened room just enough light to read or do crosswords etc but importantly just relax, put the day to bed and always last thing make a list of everything you have to do next day, leave nothing out this way you won't wake up thinking about small matters you have forgotten you have to do. Have you listened to the Proffesor's Progressive Relaxation! if not try it and if you wake during the night keep it handy and listen again. If you wake early get up for a short while have a warm drink, flick through a magazine for 15 minutes or so then go back to bed and relax I lay breathing deeply and I count my breaths backwards from 10 to zero then back to 10 again and do this several times, the breathing relaxes you and concentrating on counting backwards concentrates your mind other than not sleeping.

The early wake ups are a hard habit to break but you can do it if you put the effort in so don't be disheartened.

Hope you soon feel better.

Holiday.

• Sleepio Member

• 1936 comments
    • 445 helped
    Graduate

Looks like Peacock beat me to it but the message is the same.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi SleepPlz
    I had this problem too after graduating, I had totally fallen off the wagon with morning sickness and my toddler not sleeping, and sleep restriction and QHR was just to cruel for a while there. I took a while to find my feet again, I found I couldn't really start from scratch but just reimplemented my sleep times, taking 30min of my old window (which was 7 hours by the time I fell off the wagon) and re starting QHR. I am now back to where I was (not perfect but totally live-able). Took be about a month, but that was because I was pretty easy on myself being pregnant. I am sure I could have gone harder and got quicker results.
    I think for me it was about reinstituting what worked the first time. Probably a bit different for everyone. And having a bit of “life space” free of toddler wake ups, visitors, travel etc to get back into the routine.
    Good luck

• Sleepio Member

• 80 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hello SleepPiz. Really sorry that you are not getting good sleep. Just adding my support.
    You have all the advice you need from the experts, Ve and Holiday.
    I'm sure all of us on Sleepio wish you good luck and hope that you will soon be back on track
    Megwich
    XX

• Sleepio Member

• 126 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Yes for sure you would be feeling very down SleepPlz…
    Have you been doing consistently bad or just now at graduation doing poorly?
    There are a huge number of people on here that take a big and lengthy nose dive at graduation for some reason
    Nobody seems to have an answer to why that happens
    It indeed happened to me and lasted about 2 weeks
    I also felt that perhaps I had “failed” at that point and was extremely discouraged
    But it passed and I started to improve again
    The see-sawing after that of good and bad days lasted up until 4 months but now has been quite stable for close to 2 months

Only you know if you have been quite faithful to the program…if you feel in your heart that you have not…Peacock and others have given excellent advice to help get you back on track

You have put a lot of time into the program now…try to hold on and keep giving it your all
    If you have to shave a bit of time off your window to get you back on track you can try that too

Please don't quit or even feel you have to start from the beginning
    Think you can pull this out of the fire yet….

Best wishes moving forward with this

• Sleepio Member

• 33 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone else had set-backs in week 5?

Everyone talks so positively about things starting to get better after week 4.

I've had my worst night so far (only 2.5 hrs sleep) in week 5 and was beginning to question my sanity!! So bad that my 'positivity' took a battering and for the first time I even contemplated whether it was worth continuing :-(

PS my positivity has risen again for the moment :-)

Return to top