Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 2806 comments
  • 642 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 4 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I’ve started using binaural sounds but it’s early days. So far they seem to be good for mood enhancement and getting to sleep, but not so helpful for sleep maintenance but it maybe that I’ve not found the best one for that yet. I’ve used the Brainwave app and Deep Sleep album so far.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I think I sleep however I feel as if Im awake! Its really very weird.
    Ive had insomnia since about May.
    Have gone through various struggles. I am practicing principles of sleepio as best I can. My gp has given me a small dose of mirtazapine which Im tapering. This has helped with anxiety.
    Any comments on this one. I want my sleep to return to normal

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have just retaken the sleep test. Why does it say that I drink too much? I said I drink 3 times p/week, that is 1 glass of wine with dinner. It also said I need more exercise , despite 4 sessions per week, and, oh yes, I'm apparently overweight! Who says???

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Having just completed session 3 i've learned i now need to adhere to sleep restriction. I am to compress my sleep into a 6 hours and 45 minutes window. The window i settled on is from 11:15pm – 6am which is fine for during the week when i need to get up for work… But does not fit into my weekend schedule where i usually will go out with friends until past midnight, usually until 2am, sometimes as late as 4am. According to Sleepio i'm supposed to keep getting up at the same time even on weekends or i won't make any progress.

How important is it to stick to the same time window on weekends, will sleep restriction work for me if i don't stick to the same times on weekends? If not, what can i do?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am on week one of the course and on being accepted, the same morning, I had an appointment with my doctor who prescribed me a sleeping table as a short term fix.

I have taken two so far and on both occasions I feel as though my sleep has been MORE disturbed.

I don't tend to have a problem going to sleep, my problem is waking up in the middle of the night and then fighting to go back to sleep.

Has anyone had a similar experience with prescribed sleep aids? I have been prescribed Noctamid (Lormetazepam)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi
    These sleep tags are part of the additional fields at the bottom of the sleep diary. They include alcohol, noise etc. I’m not certain if I should be tagging when I do or don’t have problems with the tagged items. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Pauline

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone,
    I’m 3 nights into the sleep restriction phase. Yesterday was great and efficiency up in the 80s. Last night was the word since starting I think at 57. Is that what normally happens? Feeling fairly rubbish this morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I used to love reading in bed but that's not recommended on this course. I am on part 3 and my sleep time has been reduced so that I now have to actually get into bed much later than I am used to.

Watching TV and reading are not recommended as wind down before bed activities does anybody have any ideas? I was wondering about listening to an audio book.

• Sleepio Member

• 329 comments
    • 169 helped
    Graduate

Yep, perfectly normal. Sleepio doesn’t work overnight. It can take a few weeks or longer. For me, it took a few months before I was getting 3 or 4 good nights a week. But I had had insomnia for 40 years and had gotten maybe one good night a YEAR in each of those years. So this has been a miracle for me. And I also kicked a 10 year sleeping pill habit while using sleepio.

It’s also not uncommon to have a bad night here and there even after you’ve been doing well for awhile.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I would like to hear from the community if there are any tips to staying asleep. I am on week 5 and there is advice on how to get back to sleep but nothing on how to stay asleep. My sleep efficiency has improved with the SR programme but quality is still not good as wake every night 8 plus times even though for no longer than 15 minutes each time. If I get deep restorative sleep it might be only 18 minutes and not in one phase but three so I never feel rested or refreshed.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 4

Hi,

I have been taking Z drugs for 3 years and they have been beneficial with the regulation of my sleep pattern. Prior to them, I would go 2-3 days without any sleep, and my life consisted of being house bound due to severe impaired cognitive function and physical pain.
    I was then put onto Z drugs for short term that ended up being long term (3years) and found I was able to work, look forward to seeing friends, have a social life and the rest of the good things that come with normal life. Then from no where, 1 month ago my GP declined my prescription request. When questioned, he said that he would get into trouble if he kept prescribing and that questions from higher up from the regional controlled drug regulatory bodies were asking questions as to why a person in their 20's were being perscribed Z drugs long term. This was followed by an immediate stoppage of Z drugs and I was put on mitrazipine as an alternate which isn't helping my sleep and I am back to where I was 3 years ago. Please don't get me wrong, my GP is the first GP that has listened to me, had a good bedside manner, been understanding and showed sympathy. However due to the terrible reputation of Z drugs in this country due to the misuse of them in the past, people that need them long term like myself and that have long term benefits and where the pros outweigh the cons, are denied them based on the stigma in the UK medical community. The restriction on Z drugs set out my the ironically named NICE and the GMC, that is not anywhere near the same level in other developed countries like America, has destroyed me.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I am on night 4 of sleep restriction, with a sleep window of 12:30am to 6am (though invariably, I will sometimes have to get up before then if my 2 year old son wakes up early). I was expecting that due to my delayed bedtime, I would see an improvement in my sleep efficiency straight away, but have been very discouraged so far by regular 4am wake ups lasting from 1-2 hours. I'm getting 4 hours sleep on average at the moment, which is even worse than it was before. When I do wake up, I can't force myself to get out of bed after 15 minutes to saunter down to the living room at 5am, knowing that I have to be up by 6 anyway. I don't know if I'm sabotaging myself by doing this.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, did it resolve itself eventually, or did you have to make an active change to see an improvement? At the moment, I can't fathom repeatedly forcing myself to stay awake until 12:30am each night when I've had several nights running of 4 hours sleep, and when it feels like I'm still going to wake up in the middle of the night anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Jessica

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

What do we do after end of Sleepio prgram? Are we able to access the sessions with the Prof, please?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have been absent from work now for 5 weeks and signed off for a further two.
    Insomnia and work related stress were contributory factors to my health issues. Initially I thought that insomnia was causing my level of fatigue However now I am concerned it may be Burn out and that interventions such as anti-depressants and exercise as well as CBT based sleepio may be less effective due to underlying physical exhaustion. Has anybody else experienced this?

• Sleepio Member

• 329 comments
    • 169 helped
    Graduate

You can still record your sleep diary and check in with the prof as long as your subscription is active. You can also stay active with the community as long as your subscription is active.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

When I have been awake in the night for 3 hours and have only managed to get back to sleep at 5am, I can't possibly set my alarm to wake up again at 5.30am (which is my sleep window). This would definitely start a migraine, not to mention feeling exhausted. So I am not sticking to my sleep routine. Any suggestions?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi Guys, I am a 28 year old male and after a holiday in Barcelona ( a lot of travelling), a couple of bad nights sleep has led to insomnia (primary) for the last 8 weeks. This has subsequently put me into a state of severe depression (secondary), just after some advice? Is it possible to go through sleepio with depression. I am hoping that if I can improve one, the other will also improve, as I feel at the moment they are both feeding each other. Any help, much appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am 4 weeks into the Sleepio program, and tonight I started running a low grade fever. If I end up getting sick with a cold or flu, should I allow myself extra sleep to recover, or should I stick to my restricted sleep and wake times?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I have been struggling with sleep since August 2018.
    At first it would be because I would need to use the bathroom between 2-4 times during the night but I managed to fall asleep. At this point in my life I would be getting about 5 hours sleep and I was fine with that. January 19, I would have the occasional no sleep nights. I would sleep for about 5 hours 4/5 nights a week and the rest of the two nights I wouldn’t sleep at all or I would sleep for an hour or two. Further down the line I would say April. I would only sleep for 3 nights and the the other 4 nights I would only sleep for 1/2 hours this has been on going for a very long time. I believe that my bladder has messed up my sleeping pattern but now instead of waking up doing the night I know longer do that as I am unable to sleep at all. Since the beginning of October I went without sleep for two weeks and I didn’t even think that was possible. I have tried going to “bed” same time every night and waking up same time but although I’ve been following this advice I’m still unable to drift off. I’m not worrying about being able to use the bathroom, I’m just unable to fall asleep. As a result I’m getting blurred vision and migraines. I have been referred to a sleep clinic but as it’s the NHS my appointment isn’t until another 6 months. I don’t sleep and it’s really getting to me I feel demotivated and useless. I’ve been described Amitriptyline and that either wouldn’t let me sleep or would only let me sleep for 2 hours if I’m lucky. I have now been prescribed Zopiclone and the go have given been a two week prescription.The Gp told me take two 3.75mg a night 3 times times a week and when I do I sleep for about four hours which is good but the other days I don’t sleep at all. I have about 4 tablets left and obviously I need to save them but has anyone got any advice why I’m not sleeping

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I just finished the 2nd night of sleep restriction and was out of bed 4+ times each night. Our bedroom is on the 2nd floor of our home and the living room on the first, along with a couple of unused bedrooms. I find that going up and down the stairs 4+ times per night increases my heart rate, breathing etc. and it takes me a bit to settle down when I go back to bed. Would it be bad idea to temporarily use one of the downstairs bedrooms during sleep restriction with the intention of sleeping upstairs in the near future when sleep improves? Because we're working on new habits, I don't want to subconsciously think of my “real” bedroom as a no sleep zone by temporarily using a new bedroom during the sleep restriction phase.

Return to top