Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 3334 comments
  • 713 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hi there,

Does a Sleepio app exist?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I find Sleepio very helpful but one thing I have a consistent problem with is being able to actually get up when my Sleep Restriction wake-up time is. The problem is not so much that I can't wake up but if I have not had enough sleep, I find it impossible to get out of bed becasue I feel extremely tired. I fall asleep again till roughly I've slept the number of hours I need. This in turn means that the following night I can't get to sleep at the time I'm supposed to sleep. Any ideas on how to make myself get up no matter how tired and exhausted I feel?

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hello All,
    Hope everyone is hanging in there best they can!

I’ve started sleep restriction—and though it’s no fun I am committed…for now :) My question is about the quarter hour rule. ...what does “awake” mean? I’ve had insomnia for 30 years, and it’s taken on different patterns. There have definitely been years where I would be FULLY awake. But the pattern I’m in currently I often don’t feel fully wake, simultaneously I also mostly don’t feel like I’m ever fully asleep. So I’m at a loss as to how to implement the quarter hour rule. Do I rouse myself entirely? Or stay in bed, in the lighter sleep state (which btw is entirely frustrating and annoying)? Anyone else confused by this? If so, what did/are you doing? Thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Just starting the sleep restriction section of the course now. As a result I'm getting much less sleep than I usually would (even if it should become more efficient).

It's also well known that sleep duration contributes to immune system function. Given this, is it reasonable to assume that sleep restriction might make you more vulnerable to catching COVID for the first few weeks (and, as a result, perhaps we should avoid social contact even more than usual!)? Does anyone know of any research which examines the quantitative effect of moderate sleep restriction on the immune system? Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hi,

I have recently completed my first week of sleep restriction. I found that I go to bed regularly at 12:45 am and wake up around 6:00 am, without interruptions. I then stay in bed until 6:30 am (this is what my sleeping window has been set to).

This gave me a sleep efficiency > 90% in the first week, so I started going to bed 15 minutes earlier. However, since the change (5 days ago), I keep waking up 15 minutes earlier as well (at 5:45). This means that I don't get more sleep overall.

Is this a common phenomenon? Do I just need to wait a bit longer for change to kick in?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Does anyone happen to get much worse sleep when lying on one side (left side for me) than the other side?
    I sleep so much better on my right side, maybe wake 5-10 times, but eventually my right side/arm gets sore, and half-asleep I decide I'll try the left again, and within a few minutes of dozing I'm popped awake again, and often have terrifying nightmares too just then.
    I wonder what physical situation could cause this?
    Something to do with brain, or gut, or back, or nasal pathways?
    Supposedly digestion is better lying on left but I can't do it, and can't seem to make it throughout night from starting in any position anyway.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Currently going through the sleepio programme and also receiving CBT privately for insomnia. Some weeks are better than others but this week I am really struggling. I was sleeping OK every other night, now it appears my pattern has changed and nearly every night I am not able to fall sleep in the last week or so. I have used marijuana if I have gotten really desperate (i tried this in my teens but do not by any means want to make this a habit just to point out!!!) I have been told to get out of bed after 15 mins which I do. I go downstairs and read a book. I find I am focusing on the amount of time I'm sat there for and wonder when I should go back to bed. I've found some nights I'm going downstairs twice!! By this point I am feeling so frantic and my heart palpitations get worse. My sleep window is 10:45pm – 6:15am. How long should I stay downstairs for?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Has anyone found their insomnia was induced by a medication but found Sleepio worked for them? I slept fine until I took a migraine prophylactic in February. Even though I stopped taking it after a month, 6 months later I never get more than 5 hours’ sleep a night – with sleeping pills. I’m exhausted and it is ruining my life. I feel like CBT-I is tailored to people who struggle with sleep due to anxiety but I’m looking for a success story to give me some hope.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello all, I am three weeks post-graduate and I'd like to get back to a situation where I can go to bed at a reasonable time, perhaps read in bed if I feel like it, and get up at a 'normal' time…..to do so would mean spending more time in bed than my allocated sleeping period.
    I can't find any advice on how to return to a 'normal' bedtime pattern (or at least as normal as it can be).
    This programme has given me several aids to a better sleep but it doesn't work too well if you have a partner on a regular bedtime/sleep pattern which clearly gets disrupted by the strange hours we have to adhere to.
    Any help/advice/sharing will be much appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have been trying mindfulness for a while but I think I had just intellectualised the info instead of actually practising it. Last 2 weeks I have been dismissing any negative thoughts and saying these are just thoughts and are not real or happening now. So many rubbishy thoughts about so many silly things. Preparing for bed by winding down and listening to some very calming meditations has also helped but the best thing has been walking. I have had 2 knee replacements, the last one 5 mths ago and haven't been able to walk well for years. I have always exercised, sometimes at gym and regularly on the stationary bike at home. For some reason a 20 minute brusque walk in the afternoon has made quite a difference. I think it is being outside. The sleep window, the winding down and the positive mental approach of the programme have also made a big difference. Good luck everyone.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I know how frustrating that can be. I don’t have fibromyalgia although I have had days where I don’t sleep a wink. I found a medication that is helping me. I think my body has learned to sleep again and I don’t fear sleep anymore. I am still taking it because it doesn’t seem to have any side effects. If you’d like to know more about it please let me know. My pen name is Burney. Take care and be well.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Does anyone have chronic back and neck pain that makes it difficult to sleep? Have you found anything that helps?

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Being kept awake by pain is a really tough one. I have not so much chronic pain, as chronic stiffness and tension, in my upper back especially. The things that help with this have been coherent breathing (which helps your autonomic nervous system), physical therapy exercises, and mindfulness. The latter seems to help reduce the tension just by being more accepting of it.

I also had a few painful injuries and conditions over the past year. Since they were temporary, I did at times resort to pain medicines to help me sleep.

It is hard to know what to advise without knowing the source of your chronic pain. It really depends on if you have damage to your body that is causing pain, or if you have something called central sensitization to pain, meaning your brain is generating the pain. If the former I think your best options are physical therapy and possibly medication as needed. The right doctor could help a lot. If the latter, there are ways to work on that. I know people who've done well with this approach. Explain Pain by Butler and Moseley is a good place to start.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Liag. I know what you mean by intellectualizing mindfulness. I think I know the information in my mind, but actually practicing it isn’t so easy. But I don’t see it as dismissing the negative thoughts but seeing them for what they are. Analogies have been given as clouds in the sky or cars on the highway. Acknowledging and accepting them for what they are.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, have you been checked for sleep apnea? I sleep on both sides too but actually prefer the left side, but for no particular reason.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi all, hoping for some advice regarding my insomnia returning, I’m in week 5 and since I’ve been doing the course my sleep has improved massively and almost getting off to sleep straight away. That was until a week ago when my lad picked up a bit of a cold, I’d been asleep about 1/2hr when he had a coughing fit so I got up to help him, this happened again not long after I got to bed the 2nd time but then I was awake and I wasn’t even midnight so I took a sleeping tablet to help. It happened very similarly the next night as well and now ever since those to nights I’m right back where I started not being able to get off to sleep at all and I’m worrying I’m becoming to depended on the sleeping pills but can’t seem to nod off without them, but try all the techniques and feel really tired when I go to be but I just don’t shut down.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I’m exactly the same. Did you get any helpful responses to your query?

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi there. I’m onto week 2 but am finding my time asleep is getting worse; now down to just over 3 hours per night. I’ve had sleep issues for 25 years. Anyone else found this is the case. And any good suggestions for nodding back off when awoken in the early hours.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hello. I’m a newbie to Sleepio and just getting started. A friend wants to loan me a Sleepscore Max to help me accurately track my sleep. I know it won’t automatically link to Sleepio, but I can manually enter the data into my sleep diary. Does anyone have experience with the Sleepscore Max and whether it’s accurate? Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

Hi Burney, would you mind sharing the name of the medication that you said is helping and you are not experiencing side effects? Thank you!

Return to top