Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 1999 comments
  • 449 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello!

I graduated from Sleepio many months, and often find myself falling asleep as soon as I put my head on the pillow.

However I often find myself sleeping a full 7 hours, yet wake up feeling as if I've slept 2-3 hours. My head is very groggy, ears hurt, can't really feel my fingers and walk around in a daze.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? It seems as if I don't get deep sleep…

Lena

• Sleepio Member

• 343 comments
    • 116 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I persevered Ohforsomesleep and I sleep every night now. It is a hard course, but resetting the body clock takes time, so do as Prof tells you and you will be rewarded for your efforts.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Peacock52. It is so good to hear of others being rewarded for their efforts. I meet with the prof tomorrow at the end of week 3 and the last night or two I have managed to wake only once to go to the toilet. Whether from exhaustion or because my wind down routine is seeping through to awakenings I have managed to get back to sleep without resorting to QHR, which is a big relief. A little success is so motivating. I just hope that setbacks,when they come, will not be too demoralising now I can truthfully tell myself on Thought Changer that I am able to get a better night

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Grads, I could use some help. I am on week 4 of the sleep program. I'm trying to follow the sleep schedule but I oversleep my designated wake up time, sometimes by 2-3 hours. Sometimes I am even late to work. Then I am not tired in the evening, and stay up until I am tired, and then I sleep even later in the morning. Help!

A few things:

I do have a good alarm clock that includes a loud signal and a wake-up light; but at this point I usually just sleep through it, or turn it off without thinking and fall back asleep.

I've noticed this problem is worse since I added black out shades to my bedroom. The shades help me fall asleep and stay asleep better (I live in the city and there is a street light outside my window), but now that there is no morning light in my bedroom, it is harder for me to wake up.

Thanks! Any tips or suggestions?

• Sleepio Member

• 343 comments
    • 116 helped
    Graduate

Sounds like you get plenty of sleep?? Not sure what your problem is and why you came to sleepio?

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 343 comments
    • 116 helped
    Graduate

Sounds like you are doing well Ohforsomesleep, wish I could have been like that in week 4.

Sorry not to reply earlier, I didn't see your message.

If you want to reply on here, you click on reply at the bottom of the message, and then sleepio will tell me that I have a message.

Also if you want to chat with any particular person you click on their name in blue and it will go into their profile and there again sleepio will alert me/or whoever that there is a message. Otherwise messages can be missed.

Glad you are doing well, keep it up.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ve, thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't give enough information in my post to the group. I came to Sleepio because I was only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night and lack of sleep was interfering with my job and other aspects of my social life. Since starting sleep restriction, I have been sleeping more, but I can't get up on time in the morning according to the schedule the Prof gave me. It's still only 4-5 hours a night AND then I'm late to work, and then I'm even less tired the next evening, so I stay up later and later while waiting to feel tired.

Maybe my problem isn't easy to understand – I just don't get tired at night, and I have trouble falling asleep until the early hours of the morning. I'm trying to practice sleep restriction but I'm not waking up at the time the sleep restriction schedule gives me.

Again thanks for your reply and I hope this answers your question.

• Sleepio Member

• 343 comments
    • 116 helped
    Graduate

When you cannot sleep at night the idea is to get up for 15 minutes or so, and often when you go back to bed you can sleep.

The only way sleepio is going to work for you is if you have the discipline to do it. This may sound harsh but I don't mean it to SF.

I often felt tired during the day and then when it was time for bed I wasn't tired, or I was until I got into bed, but this is typical of insomnia.

So if you can't stick to the times that Prof gave you, you can at least get up when you cannot sleep rather than lay there waiting for sleep to come. It just may help you turn the cycle that you have got yourself into.

Good luck!

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hello, I am fairly new to the community. I am in my senior year of nursing school. Sadly, the nights before clinical I lay awake and become anxious about the next day. The poor sleep has carried over into days that I don't have clinical. Any advice would be so appreciated !

• Sleepio Member

• 343 comments
    • 116 helped
    Graduate

Hi Shelb, starting sleepio is the best thing you can do, so you have done that and all you have to do now is follow what Prof tells you to do.

It is a bit of a slow start as Prof needs you to do a sleep diary for him so that he can work out a personal sleep schedule for you to follow. So the actual work on your body clock starts at the beginning of week 3.

I have done really well from following the 'rules' and sleep well now. So all you have to do is what Prof tells you and you are on to a winner.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 62 comments
    • 13 helped
    Graduate

Work hard Shelb on your lessons from the first two weeks
    Thought checker..relaxtion etc
    The work on eliminating the anxiety around sleep is very important
    Read lots and lots of blogs
    Even the old ones
    Lots of good advice on there
    You will see yourself in the blogs and it will help a great deal

Week 3 it gets pretty tough
    But the programme is excellent and it does work
    Try hard to follow the rules no matter how difficult

We are always here for you!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

So week one I filled my diary in every day but I was on Spring Break so I was much less stressed and my sleep was great and consistent for the most part. Now, it is week two and I am back to school and clinical and my sleep is rough! I wonder if filling in the week one sleep diary will mess up the rest of the program for me….?

• Sleepio Member

• 62 comments
    • 13 helped
    Graduate

Yes I see what you mean about the diary
    You are thinking your sleep window may be more generous than what it would be if you weren't on spring break giving positive numbers….
    See what the prof gives you at the beginning of week 3
    I know the window is not identical to everyone but a 5 hour seems pretty popular

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hi Shelb-- you might consider contacting the Sleepio administrators and tell them your dilemma and see what they say. I wonder if it is possible for them to arrange for another week of the sleep diary before session 3, maybe by deleting the first week's diary? They seem to be very responsive and helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Good morning everyone. I was wondering if anyone can advise me ?
    I have been struggling with my sleep for approximately six months now.I started sleepio about eight weeks ago and even though it was hard at first in the past two weeks my sleep has improved by about two hours.
    My sleep efficiency is about 30 to 40%. However for the past three nights I haven't slept at all and I feel that I have taken a backward step. can someone please tell me if this is normal? And also I find that I am falling asleep in front of the TV at around 11 o'clock but my seat window begins at 1:30 AM. Is it worth me bringing my seat window earlier? Any help would be really appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 343 comments
    • 116 helped
    Graduate

Falling asleep in front of the TV is all you need to disrupt your sleep. So potter around to keep yourself awake, and keep your sleep for bedtime. Spend time getting ready for bed so that you can just fall into it when it is time. Do a good wind down before bed. Dim the lights and relax.

You could bring your sleep window forward if you haven't already done so. Of course, if you bring it forward you will also have to get up earlier.

Let us know how you get on.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 62 comments
    • 13 helped
    Graduate

I too have taken a backward step Hhsurg so I know how frustrated you feel about this
    Especially in light of some improvement which is very heartening
    I think the big problem is that when we finally make that bed sleep connection it is very fragile and the least little thing can set it backwards
    As Ve says….falling asleep in front of the TV would be a culprit for sure
    Adhering strictly to the SW seems to be key whether we move it ahead or push it forward
    Compressing our sleep time seems to be the medicine as bad as it is to swallow
    I'm sure you can pull it back out of the fire

Set backs seem so cruel though
    I know what you mean

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your wonderful advice !

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Ve for your wonderful advice !

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I've searched and don't see a thread on this. I've generally been doing well since I graduated back in August but had a blip in October and worse one now. This week I've only slept one night out of 5 and feeling the anxiety again when going to bed. I decided to start trying Chelated Magnesium and melatonin supplements to help and for the first few weeks great but wonder if this is counter-productive.

Having read a few posts this morning, will revert to the Sleepio programme again. That said, how have you dealt with setbacks? Silly thing is I know I can cope at work the next day with little sleep but doesn't feel that way at 1am watching the minutes tick by.

Cheers

Return to top