Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 2008 comments
  • 450 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 354 comments
    • 117 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Shelb, starting sleepio is the best thing you can do, so you have done that and all you have to do now is follow what Prof tells you to do.

It is a bit of a slow start as Prof needs you to do a sleep diary for him so that he can work out a personal sleep schedule for you to follow. So the actual work on your body clock starts at the beginning of week 3.

I have done really well from following the 'rules' and sleep well now. So all you have to do is what Prof tells you and you are on to a winner.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Work hard Shelb on your lessons from the first two weeks
    Thought checker..relaxtion etc
    The work on eliminating the anxiety around sleep is very important
    Read lots and lots of blogs
    Even the old ones
    Lots of good advice on there
    You will see yourself in the blogs and it will help a great deal

Week 3 it gets pretty tough
    But the programme is excellent and it does work
    Try hard to follow the rules no matter how difficult

We are always here for you!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

So week one I filled my diary in every day but I was on Spring Break so I was much less stressed and my sleep was great and consistent for the most part. Now, it is week two and I am back to school and clinical and my sleep is rough! I wonder if filling in the week one sleep diary will mess up the rest of the program for me….?

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Yes I see what you mean about the diary
    You are thinking your sleep window may be more generous than what it would be if you weren't on spring break giving positive numbers….
    See what the prof gives you at the beginning of week 3
    I know the window is not identical to everyone but a 5 hour seems pretty popular

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi Shelb-- you might consider contacting the Sleepio administrators and tell them your dilemma and see what they say. I wonder if it is possible for them to arrange for another week of the sleep diary before session 3, maybe by deleting the first week's diary? They seem to be very responsive and helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Good morning everyone. I was wondering if anyone can advise me ?
    I have been struggling with my sleep for approximately six months now.I started sleepio about eight weeks ago and even though it was hard at first in the past two weeks my sleep has improved by about two hours.
    My sleep efficiency is about 30 to 40%. However for the past three nights I haven't slept at all and I feel that I have taken a backward step. can someone please tell me if this is normal? And also I find that I am falling asleep in front of the TV at around 11 o'clock but my seat window begins at 1:30 AM. Is it worth me bringing my seat window earlier? Any help would be really appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 354 comments
    • 117 helped
    Graduate

Falling asleep in front of the TV is all you need to disrupt your sleep. So potter around to keep yourself awake, and keep your sleep for bedtime. Spend time getting ready for bed so that you can just fall into it when it is time. Do a good wind down before bed. Dim the lights and relax.

You could bring your sleep window forward if you haven't already done so. Of course, if you bring it forward you will also have to get up earlier.

Let us know how you get on.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

I too have taken a backward step Hhsurg so I know how frustrated you feel about this
    Especially in light of some improvement which is very heartening
    I think the big problem is that when we finally make that bed sleep connection it is very fragile and the least little thing can set it backwards
    As Ve says….falling asleep in front of the TV would be a culprit for sure
    Adhering strictly to the SW seems to be key whether we move it ahead or push it forward
    Compressing our sleep time seems to be the medicine as bad as it is to swallow
    I'm sure you can pull it back out of the fire

Set backs seem so cruel though
    I know what you mean

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your wonderful advice !

• Sleepio Member

• 38 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Ve for your wonderful advice !

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I've searched and don't see a thread on this. I've generally been doing well since I graduated back in August but had a blip in October and worse one now. This week I've only slept one night out of 5 and feeling the anxiety again when going to bed. I decided to start trying Chelated Magnesium and melatonin supplements to help and for the first few weeks great but wonder if this is counter-productive.

Having read a few posts this morning, will revert to the Sleepio programme again. That said, how have you dealt with setbacks? Silly thing is I know I can cope at work the next day with little sleep but doesn't feel that way at 1am watching the minutes tick by.

Cheers

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Has anyone managed to make sleepio work with young children? I was improving to about 6-7 hours a night, then my boy got sick with a series of viruses (as they do), and was up a lot at night. To cope with being up all night with him I know I developed bad habits (going to bed early and letting myself stay there awake), and over the past 4 days I have regressed hugely. The challenge with a sleep window is I never know if he will sleep through or not, if he doesn't, it cuts my sleep even further. I am his main carer, and can find it extremely hard to cope if I am exhausted. I have tried to CBT my way to convince myself that this is not the case, but it is!

I am back to later bed times and Q4H, but it seems like I am back at square 1. Keen to hear about others experiences

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I am also struggling with a setback, my plan is to hit the thought checker hard, as I guess its all about dealing with redeveloping sleep anxiety.

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Yes it must be really difficult to keep a sleep window with a young child Kgj
    I'm not in that position but can imagine the stress of it!
    There seem to be a lot of new moms on here right now with this difficulty
    Sounds like at present you have had a setback
    We all seem to have these disappointing setbacks for one reason or another
    Keeping at it and trying really hard not to let our minds run wild with it is the problem
    Sounds like you were achieving success so stick with it and I believe you will get back on course
    I'm just heading out of a nose dive myself so I know how frustrating it feels
    Best wishes moving forward

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    My sleep restriction window isn't working for me. I'm on week 5 of the programme. Do you think it would be ok to move it from 11 til 5 to 10 30 to 4.30.
    Thanks for any help

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Yes Barney you can certainly adjust your window to that timing
    However ….you should not do the half hour all at once
    ( I know it's tempting :)
    Do it by two 15 min increments either side over maybe a week
    A sudden change of 30 min has the potential to knock you off kilter and you could regret it
    So maybe start tonight 1045 to 4:45…..
    Best wishes

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks jinny
    That sounds like good advice.
    I'll try that tonight.
    Thanks again

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Jinny, Still working at it, keeping my chin up. I had also fallen into the nap trap in the middle of the day (very tempting when the toddler sleeps!), so am making more of an effort to keep myself busy during this time, and trust I will be an adequate mother in the afternoon! I guess its hard for all of us for different reasons, and this is mine. So lovely to have the support here though

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hey All, on week 5 at the moment and although my SE and avg time asleep have improved – Im a bit concerned about my SE. Im getting about 5 hours in the night, but a major goal was to get a solid block of sleep and not just 2 hour intervals and an extra hour. Is there something down the line that is supposed to help with the interrupted/broken sleep? I have yet to have one night one 4-5-6 solid hours in one shut eye block. These multiples are adding up to make it appear as though I have slept a good deal but when I wake up 3-4x in a night and have a 5.25 avg time asleep, its a tad disheartening. Any thoughts or advice?

• Sleepio Member

• 40 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

Hello RockVW. I have replied on your other post to this same query. Hope you find my thoughts helpful in some way

Return to top