Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 1920 comments
  • 438 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks Holiday I have e-mailed them.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Thanks Holiday Very helpful as always

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I am on sleep restriction this week and am finding it very difficult to stay awake until 12.30, I'm finding it torturous. Does this work/get any easier?

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

It's really tough trying to stay awake to meet your sleep window, but it's really important to try as it helps to build up sleep pressure so you have a better nights sleep.
    I've tried all the following, and they all help. You don't always have to distract yourself for very long, sometimes just a few minutes can pep you up so you don't nod off too soon.: Adult colouring books, jigsaws, playing patience/solitaire (with cards, not computer), puzzles, crosswords, memory games, basically lots of things we used to enjoy doing as kids!
    If you really struggle to meet your window, you can bring it forward a little, and adjust your wake up time. My original window should have been 12 til 5, but I really struggled to make it to 12, so I changed it to 11 til 4am.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Hello
    Can if ask a question please? I'm in the throes of SR on week 4 and currently have a sleep window of 2am to 7am
    Despite struggling to stay awake until so late, my sleep when I finally get to bed is improving gradually and my sleep efficiency overall is often over 80% which I'm obviously thrilled about
    On the other hand my sleep quality is judged to be going down which is very confusing
    What is sleep quality and how is it estimated please?

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi there, I took the sleepio course almost exactly two years ago and it worked well for me for a few months then my sleeping pattern all fell apart. Since then I have had periods where I will suddenly start sleeping really well for no particular reason, these last for a couple of months and then it all goes wrong again. I'm currently suffering from the worst insomnia I've ever experienced and am totally unable to get to sleep without drugs – I try to limit theses to three times per week so I'm shaking with tiredness most days but have a business to run and two kids to get up for in the morning. Should I go back to the original sleep restriction process? It was originally 1.30am until 6am but is now set at 11.45 til 6.45 due to the success I had at the start. I cannot get over the terror I have about going to bed now. Feeling very lost after all this time. Thanks for any response

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Thank you EO for responding and for the distraction tips, much appreciated. I think I'm getting a bit better at staying awake until 12.30, it's still hard but not as torturous. As I'm now getting a longer sleep within the time in bed I'm feeling more positive even though it's not as long as I need. The other thing I wonder is if I wake up say 45 mins before my due get out of bed time should I still use the 15 minute rule knowing that I won't get back to bed or can I (which I'd prefer) just stay in bed and relax until my due time?

• Sleepio Member

• 286 comments
    • 103 helped
    Graduate

Hi Stokesy, I feel for you because I couldn't sleep at all and needed help from medication. Just wondering if you kept to your new sleep routine after finishing the sleepio course?

If Prof has given you that sleep schedule then I guess that is what you should do, but 7 hours is quite a long time in bed if you cannot sleep. Looking back when I couldn't sleep 5 hours in bed was long enough so if you want to start from scratch then e-mail sleepio and ask if you can start from the beginning.

You have had success from doing sleepio before so you know that it works and that should give you some comfort. Do a good wind down before you go to bed, get into your night clothes and then do some relaxation, dim the lights and sit quietly. When you get into bed concentrate on your breathing as in mindfulness, and if you cannot sleep get up for 15 minutes or so, and then try sleeping again. Don't lay in bed if you cannot sleep. You know the routine.

It may not take too long to settle as you have done it before but do yourself a favour Stokesy, once you have your sleep settled don't stop doing what you have learnt from Prof, you need to keep it up.

We are all here for each other so you are not alone. The anxiety will lessen as you start to get some sleep, so be a good boy and get that bed time routine going, you know the drill and you can do it.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi!
    I would love to know how long it took people to get a normal nights sleep. Even though I have be able to move my time slot back 15 I still have 45-60 minutes of insomnia each night. I'm curious to know if this is normal. Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi JDE060, strictly speaking, if you're awake for more than about 15/20 mins, you should really get up, as if you're lying in bed for longer whilst you are awake, it weakens the psychological bed/sleep connection. It is a bit of a pain when it's so close to your get up time, but it should settle down eventually when your body and brain have adjusted. Keep the faith.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi Joymoment, It's taken me almost into my 8th week to see really encouraging stats, and even this week I've had a dodgy patch of 3 nights, but his has been of my own doing, as I got lazy with my routine and using the tools.
    All I can say is the closer you keep to your proper set schedule, and use every tool you are given by Sleepio, then it will eventually kick in. Everyone has progressed at their own pace here, some have found results quicker than others, which can be frustrating for those who are seeing a patchy result, or a very slow improvement.
    try and stick with your SR as closely as you can, as this is the most powerful technique (and the toughest) which will eventually help your brain to re learn a good sleep routine.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi PCAN, when you fill in your daily sleep diary, there's a bit at the end where you have to click whether your sleep has been very poor, poor, fair, good, or very good. I think your sleep quality is calculated at the end of each week based on your assessment of each night.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 5

Thanks EO
    That makes perfect sense

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi, Sorry to hear your struggling again, the good thing is you know youve been able to get your sleep back on track in the past and I'm sure you will again. If it was me I would go back to the original SR times the the Prof gave you and start again. You have the previous knowledge to help you as well and then as previously when you feel your sleep getting back on track adjust you SR hours. I hope your soon back on track

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I think everyone's version of ' normal' is individual to them. I would love to be only having 45-60 mins of insomnia a night. I've been on the programme now for 8 weeks and my sleep time has gone up to an average of 2 hours 40 min a night. Which to me is brilliant but to others would be really bad.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I don't know if I'm supposed to but if like you I'm awake earlier than my get up time, I also stay in bed and relax, I practice Mindfulness so would use this time to do my first session of the day. If this is something your not familiar with you can pick up guided sessions on the internet. Try the 'Breathworks' site.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm also on my 8th week and I agree with what you said. My progress has been very slow, in fact I didn't feel I'd made any until this morning when I've looked back over my sleep diary's. It's been very slow but I can see a difference my average sleep has gradually gone from 1 hour 30min to 2 hours 40 min, something I hadn't really noticed until I looked back. It's been slow and steady but it is improving and I think it's also now set me up with a good longterm bedtime routine.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi all,
    The prof says on my weekly session that I have not made progress on my exercise routine, but I have been doing exercise. I didn't know I had to report my progress on that subject and how to ? Can anyone tell me please.
    Thanks Anna.

• Sleepio Member

• 73 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi Anna, not sure about this; try emailing Sleepio to clarify.
    EO

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks EO ,
    I will do that.

Return to top