Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 1960 comments
  • 443 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 5

Thank you that really means the world to me

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Thank you finding this community gives me great strength- if I can deal with this for over a year, I can wait a few more weeks for results!

• Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

Hi – I have a question about my sleep diary. If I spend 30 minutes downstairs because of QHR, it doesn't subtract this time from my total time in bed, so my sleep efficiency looks worse than it really is. There doesn't seem to be any way of taking off the time downstairs from the total time in bed, or am I missing something? Thanks for any advice!

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

I think you have to include the time spent downstairs because if you were sleeping perfectly you wouldn't have been downstairs. So this must reflect in your sleep efficiency score (if that makes sense)

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

I have a question…..
    Just in week 2 of sleepio but one month off long term sleeping pills
    Last night I developed the “jitters” that lasted most of the night
    My sleep efficiency is in the 30s
    Wondering if this is nerves as I did feel anxious too?
    But not sure if anxiety caused the jitters or jitters caused the anxiety :(
    Nothing seemed to help
    Maybe I am just physically exhausted as I am just getting over the flu as well
    Anyone with any thoughts on this?

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi to everyone who is struggling. Before I started the Sleepio course I could have as many as three nights a week were I did not sleep at all through the night. I fought to stay awake the following day but inevitably had a couple of 'naps'. Then going to bed the next night I would have the same thought going through my head – Will I sleep tonight?I hope so.I can't cope with another night like last night! Since graduating I had sleep very well every night until two nights ago when I had a night of no sleep. The difference was I remembered what the Prof had told me to do and followed the advice given to me through the course.The following night I did not have any negative thoughts and once again I had a wonderful sleep. So I would say to anyone who is strugggling, hang in there, listen to the professionals advice as well as the helpful tips from friends on the programme. I assure you it does work. I have not slept so well for many years.
    Good luck

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 3

Such an encouraging post cwfelinfach
    For those of us who have no options left after Sleepio…it gives us hope
    The mind and body connection is so powerful
    I'm only beginning to see this
    It sounds like repeated reinforcement of what we learn here is the key
    Thanks for this

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi – I had a problem with my sleep about 18 months ago which I managed to improve within about 6 months gradually increasing my sleep every month as I was more relaxed about it. I had some bad news a couple of weeks ago and my sleep has been affected so that I am now sleeping a minimum amount and not being able to get back to sleep again. I know I need to be able to handle the news better that seemed to set off my sleep alarm but it's out of my control and uncertain so at the moment I can't do anything about it apart from wait. Any ideas of how to switch my brain off ? I don't want this to carry on as I feel I have gone backwards. The negative thoughts relating to the bad news keep coming back into my subconscious..it's hard to stop them

• Sleepio Member

• 304 comments
    • 108 helped
    Graduate

Bad news and family illness does affect sleep Mandyc so it will play on your mind. But you can take control of your mind by using Prof's techniques or by using mindfulness. For me I find concentrating on my breathing when I get into bed stops me thinking about the illness in my family and helps me drop off to sleep.

Best wishes

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hello- this is very similar to my situation. I had 11 great nights during my first 2 weeks of SR going to bed 2-7 and sleeping all the way through. When my bed time changed to 1.30-7 on tuesday the last 2 nights i have had 4 hours in total. My tiredness levels are through the roof and i drift in and out conciousness without any control- envietably this has meant that ive fell asleep for 15 mins max each night, which then means I dont sleep that night and the circle is vicious. How did you break this horrible cycle? I try to stay positive but after every night I can feel my confidence slipping :(

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks very much for this. It is hard to stop thinking isn't it about what could be. Although I have a very supportive partner it is he that is in denial about being ill so we have a vicious cycle there. He doesn't want to tell me things as he thinks it will affect my sleep which it does. It's tricky

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jonny
    So glad that I was of some help. Just remember there's is help for anyone struggling at the touch of a button. Whether it be from the professionals or the community. Just persevere and sleep will come.
    Cwmfelinfach

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Hi to the Sleepio user who replied to my post. The way I broke the cycle was to go back to basics. Follow the instructions from the professionals but the mail thing was NOT TO WORRY about the next nights sleep. Stay positive and you will get back to having good nights sleep.
    Cwmfelinfach

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Stupid question but is it possible to download the audio files on to my iPad permanently or do you just download them so you can listen to them at that precise time?

• Sleepio Member

• 34 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Jane , I managed to download them all using Dropbox. I'm not very Computer literate, but once I had Dropbox on my PC and iPad it worked OK.
    good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you so much. Will give it a whirl

• Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

Hi there, can someone tell me what happens after graduation? I've just started week 5, and I'm still struggling. Feeling worried about not having the weekly Prof sessions or the structure they set up. I can see it's going to take me months to make substantive progress. What happens after week 6? Do the prof sessions stop and you have go it alone?

• Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hello
    I'm starting a cold and was awake virtually all of last night
    How do I record that in my sleep diary please ?Ive previously slept well getting over 80% most nights

• Sleepio Member

• 304 comments
    • 108 helped
    Graduate

Hi Alisonsarah, did you sign up for 3 months? If so, you carry on meeting Prof for another 6 weeks to record your sleep.

Don't worry if you are still having sleep problems when you graduate, that happens to many of us, just carry on with your sleep schedule and you will gradually get better at sleeping, but stick to the rules like same bedtime and getting up time, and get up if you cannot sleep. You will see in time that you won't have to get up so much at night and you will start sleeping more, and when that happens you can very gradually get back to a bed time that you like best.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 37 comments
    • 3 helped
    Session 5

Hello grads, please help. I'm feeling so dejected.

It's end of week 5 and all my stats are going down. I think that's because I'm back at work, albeit only 2 days a week for now. I am a single Mum so I have to work. And I like my job. But I'm consistently taking 2 hours to fall asleep and with a 5 hour sleep window that means I'm feeling pretty dreadful most days. Struggling to stay awake during the day, let alone function well, but then highly anxious before bed and it takes hours for my sleep drive to overwhelm my racing heart. This, despite doing all the relaxation exercises repeatedly.

I'm sticking to the programme pretty well and using all the tools I'm given.

I find myself wondering whether I'm just one of those people for whom this just doesn't work.

Return to top