Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 2241 comments
  • 503 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 399 comments
    • 137 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Dob, maybe you could go to bed a little earlier, 1.30 is a bit late. However, I started at 1.15 and I found that really hard, but managed to get through it until I managed to get another 15 minutes onto my sleep window and that felt brilliant.

If you start to feel sleepy pottering around would help you to stay awake until you get into bed. Sleepio is hard initially. But you have been here before so you know the score.

So I would do either one of those, but you will feel great if you can potter about and manage to get another 15 minutes added to your sleep window.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Peacock52,

Thanks for your response. Pottering seems like a plan. Going to try going to bed a bit earlier tonight anyway but just need something that will keep me going until bedtime but not too stimulating!

Dob

• Sleepio Member

• 90 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dob – welcome back to Sleepio!

Am just wondering what sort of things you are trying, to keep you going to bed-time? I found that something that was lightly active, but not too stimulating worked for me during the early stages of SR (sleep restriction) – I ended up doing some adult colouring-in. But if that's not your thing what about jigsaws? Or someone else suggested some cleaning project – something focused such as dusting the skirting boards in a particular room.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi RosieDee,

Actually I've been reading and falling asleep over the book. Really like the idea of some adult colouring in as I already have the books and crayons. Good plan!

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 90 comments
    • 15 helped
    Graduate

I had to give up on the reading whilst in early stages of SR!!! I wasn't taking a word in, which wasn't much good when it was a 'book club' book and we were supposed to be able to discuss it at the next meeting!

Hope the colouring-in goes well – I too had the books and coloured pencils in the house, but had never got round to using them. I also found that whilst doing this it gave my brain a chance to mull over the day and I didn't then do this when I went to bed!! Win-win all the way!

• Sleepio Member

• 399 comments
    • 137 helped
    Graduate

I am trying to think of the things that I used to do Dob while waiting for bedtime to come round. I did some colouring, reading, crossword puzzles but you know I didn't want to be doing any of it, I just wanted to be able to sleep. So I started listening to PR, curled up on the sofa with a blanket over me, sometimes I fell asleep but it was hard not to sometimes. A different story once in bed though, that always seemed hard.

But as you know we have to go through loads of stuff to get to the point where things start to settle and you find things that work for you. As time has gone by for me (2 years since I joined sleepio) all I do now is sit in the dark for 15 minutes before bed, visit the bathroom and get into bed and sleep but it took me some time to get to that and sometimes I wonder if that would have worked in the first place. All I know is that it works for me and has done for ages now.

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks RosieDee – if I can dump my thoughts while colouring and not have them as soon as I crawl into bed, it would be fantastic.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Peacock52 – I enjoy crossword puzzles too so that might be another thing I could do. I feel very ignorant but not sure what you mean by PR (something to do with relaxation?). Once I know what you mean I'm happy to try sitting in the dark for 15 minutes before bed listening to it.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi again Peacock52,
    PR= progressive relaxation. I“ve been doing it without remembering what it was called!

...put it down to lack of sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Hi, I have just competed session four and I understood I would be sent a link to an MP3 download for imagery, not sure when or where this is likely to appear or indeed if I have understood this correctly?

• Sleepio Member

• 72 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi casoak. It will be in your case file under downloads. Hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Aha and I thought I had been paying attention but clearly not looked in here at all! Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 115 comments
    • 42 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dob
    I have been on holiday so only just caught up with your posts.
    I agree that 1.30 is very late to go to bed. I originally had 1.15 – after a lifetime of aiming to be in bed shortly after 10pm! I knew I could not survive until 1.15 so I moved my whole sleep window and hour and fifteen minutes earlier. It meant getting up at 5.15 but that was the lesser of the two evils. That proved more manageable though I still worked about filling the time till bed. I relaxed watching tv, chatting etc until my husband went to bed around 10.30 but what then? So I devised a long wind down routine of leisurely bath, some gentle tai chi, then a mindfulness/ meditation audio and finally the Profs PR.
    That worked for me and filled 90 minutes very nicely so I just suggest it as an alternative to activities such as reading or crosswords which are enough to keep the mental cogs turning long after bedtime for me. Hope it might be some use to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Ohforsomesleep,

I've been blown away by the generosity of the grads. No-one really gets it, feeling like crap all day after 4 hours sleep so all your responses have been so supportive. Thanks. Did some PR last night as part of my wind down and tonight will follow your suggestions.
    Really grateful…

• Sleepio Member

• 72 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

To be honest I don't think it's mentioned during the sessions where you can find it. I came across all the downloads accidentally.

How have you been finding Sleep Restriction? It's not easy is it but it does work. Best of luck, Lindsay

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Many thanks for your response. My challenge is not repetitive thoughts or worry I just wake up a few times in the night usually go back to sleep and always wake very early and do not go back to sleep. However, I am sure I can and will gain something from the course.

• Sleepio Member

• 86 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Hi casoak, sorry that you are waking early, this sometimes happens to me. Are you getting up for QHR as you do at other times , if you wake?
    I find that if I wake very, early being out of bed and just sitting and relaxing often helps. If that doesn't work I just get up and stay up. This will help your brain to realise that bed is for sleep.
    Eventually these early wakings began to happen less often for me,as my adjusted.
    It does take time, but like much of the Sleepio technique, it's the repetition and routine that eventually pays off? Hope this helps
    Megwich

• Sleepio Member

• 399 comments
    • 137 helped
    Graduate

You are right Megwich, it's the getting out of bed when you cannot sleep or you wake early that makes sleepio work. Insomnia is stubborn and won't let up unless you fight it, and getting out of bed is the right thing to do. We all know it is not nice getting up when all you want to do is sleep, so don't let insomnia rule you, do as Prof says and fight back. Phew, glad I got that off my chest!!

Ve

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Usually when I wake in the night I fortunately am rarely awake for long so have not used the QTR but on the one occasion since learning about it I did not use it and it became more like the 3hrR! Note to self Must try harder to follow instructions.

• Sleepio Member

• 399 comments
    • 137 helped
    Graduate

If you have to get up in the night casoak you don't need to stay up for long, 15 to 30 minutes is plenty. It is much better than laying awake for hours, and getting up gives you another chance of getting to sleep. So for your own sake, don't lay in bed awake. It all comes together in the end, you will see.

Ve

Return to top