Ask the Grads

Whether you're in need of some friendly advice and encouragement from people who have been through the course or you'd simply like another perspective on implementing a new technique, you can pose your questions about the Sleepio course directly to the Graduates here!

Posted 29 Apr 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 2786 comments
  • 639 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Anyone with any experience using recorded Delta waves (3Hz) to aid sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hello :) Can you tell me what happens after you complete session 6? Will we still be able to log our sleep and have access to the audio files, etc?
    Thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 4

I woke last night with slight nausea and tremors which lasted about an hour. I tried very hard to limit the effects by breathing deeply, in through the nose and out through the mouth. This has happened before, not often, but lasts much longer. During this time I feel extremely anxious and scared. It occurs to me to ask the community here if this is something that affects anyone else.

• Sleepio Member

• 23 comments
    • 5 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Hoping, my 6 week course was free and I was able to continue after the programme, albeit not much extra advise but it does allow me to input my diary information therefore still gaining additional 15 minutes as my sleep gets better. All the tools are still available so you can go back over your records and the information that has been really useful. I think this continues for a year however I have seen graduates on here that have been members for longer but not sure if they have paid, hope that helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Look in the library section and there you can find each weeks topics broken down so you can pick the exact bit you are after. Good luck

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Mid-way through the course I switched from recording my sleep diary based on memory to using an electronic tracker (FitBit). FitBit says I wake up in the middle of the night several times, each time less than 20 minutes long, but in total over an hour. I don't remember these wakings at all though.
    This has reduced the sleep efficiency that I record, even though my subjective experience hasn't changed.
    Some questions:

• Is the 90% sleep efficiency goal based on people who use an electronic tracker or record from memory?

• Is there any data on how common it is for an electronic tracker to show mid-night waking that the user doesn't remember?

Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you so much Jam19! Logging my schedule, etc has been really helpful and I would be afraid to just have to end the program abruptly. Thank goodness that’s not what happens. This program is definitely making a difference for me – after 30 years of insomnia, medications, etc. Still a ways to go but sooo happy about the progress made so far. I completely recommend this program!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

i feel like pulling an all nighter soon to see if i can regulate my sleep again will that be a good idea

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have been on holiday for two weeks and am now back home.
    Before I went ,session two was just available and so I listened to it. I have found that I didn’t do the Sleepio work properly while on holiday and so want to access the second session again to repeat it. How do I do this? How can I go back a session?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have been following the programme for 3 months. There have been some positive improvements but I'm struggling with the sleep limit module. I also take a relaxant, Zoplicone 7.5mg, to help get me off to sleep. I would say 8 out of 10 times it works but if I'm upset or my mind is full of things it doesn't have much effect. My question is, now I have reduced my sleep to an avg of 5.30hrs so I'm only waking up on avg once, how/when do I stop taking the relaxant. I ask because by a pure mistake I forgot to take my tablet and it caused me to have the most frightening halucinations and nightmares that appeared real Any suggestions or advice would be greatly received. Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience. I am in week 5 and today I am really struggling to motivate myself to continue. I had 13 good nights on restricted sleep (12 until 5.15), was reaching about 86% efficiency, and beginning to feel really positive about overcoming my long term sleep problems, but last night out of the blue I reverted to my old pattern of being awake for 3 to 4 hours before falling sleep. What is so depressing is that there was no apparent reason for this relapse. I have been sticking to RS time and the quarter of an hour rule, and am practising all my techniques.. Still got up at 5.15 this morning but I feel like I am back to square one.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi,

I'm wondering what you are meant to do after the 6 weeks of SR and stimulus control. Are you meant to continue restricting time in bed and following the QHR or meant to sleep as long as you like?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Discussion centred on how sleep anxiety can be lessened or eliminated.
    I have real problems with this and would like to know how others feel and deal with sleep anxiety

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

Before starting Sleep Restriction my problem was staying asleep not falling asleep. Having just started this new regime – sleep totally evaded me due to feeling so anxious about it. I find if I try to hard to go to sleep it just doesn't happen. Have I now spoilt by ability to drift off by giving myself too much pressure. I only got about an hour the whole night and feel terrible now.

• Sleepio Member

• 306 comments
    • 144 helped
    Graduate

I would recommend checking with your doctor. I was taking a different pill, and cut them in quarters so that I could gradually taper off. I’m not sure how it would work with your specific medication.

• Sleepio Member

• 306 comments
    • 144 helped
    Graduate

This is not unusual. There will be slips and falls along the way. Your brain and body need more than a month or 2 to adjust to new and better sleeping habits. I have been here for over a year and occasionally, not often, have a bad night or 2 for no apparent reason, and then I’m fine. Just go with it, keep following the rules, keep checking in here, keep reading the articles, etc. You’ve seen that you can have success. It will be more consistent with time.

• Sleepio Member

• 306 comments
    • 144 helped
    Graduate

Until you reach the end of your membership, you keep filling out the sleep diary and checking in with the prof weekly. He will let you know your sleep efficiency and let you know if you get an extra 15 minutes. You do this weekly as long as your subscription is active. The community, articles in the library, and all other features are also still available. Many grad say that they still needed all of this after graduation, some for the whole year.

• Sleepio Member

• 306 comments
    • 144 helped
    Graduate

I think that the term “sleep anxiety” is an umbrella term for a lot of what goes on here. Some of us are anxious about falling asleep, others are anxious about waking up, in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep, some of us are anxious about pain, nightmares, hot flashes (don’t get me started), babies crying, work problems, etc. There are discussion groups and library articles about a bazillion topics. Seek and ye shall find. Best of luck to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 306 comments
    • 144 helped
    Graduate

Susy, you are still really early in the program. This will take some time, maybe even a couple months. Just keep following the rules, check in here, read library articles, try new techniques, etc. it will all happen in time. You can’t force it. I found that when I stopped trying so hard, it got easier. But that was a couple months after starting. Everyone’s different. Try to be patient.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi jsielke… Yes, I use the Insight Timer free app. Personally I prefer the guided meditations, but there is a lot of choice on there, all free and worth a shot.

Return to top