Are you a Sleepio user in the UK who would like to share your Sleepio experience?

We’re launching an exciting new NHS project in the counties of Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire area later this year and are making a public announcement next week!

Ahead of the announcement we're looking for Sleepio users who would be willing to talk to journalists on the phone about their sleep, and their experience using the Sleepio program. If you would prefer to write a short quote which you would be happy to have included in a written press release, that would also be extremely helpful!

If interested in getting involved, please, either post here in reply to this discussion, or email Dr. Sophie Bostock at sophie@sleepio.com, to find out more.

Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 6:58 PM
  • 82 comments
  • 52 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Good morning all

I am now able to fall asleep at night no problem but find thst i awake only after 4-5 hrs of sleepwhich means that at on average if i go to sleep at 23:00 i am awake at 04:00.
    Does anyone have advice or suggestion to combat wajing up this early .
    Thanka

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I've completed my first week of sleep restriction and although its been tough it is working! Before starting the program I took house to get to sleep and was waking up 3-4 times a night for long periods of time. I'm at the end of week 3 of the Sleepio program and I'm now falling asleep really quickly and sleeping for 5 hours without waking which for me is fantastic. I'd be happy to speak to a journalist about my Sleepio experience.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi! I have had an up and down road with sleep while going through the Sleepio programme as I was on prescribed sleeping pills and only beyond the 6 weeks, have been trying to get off them. I didn't manage this while going through the programme but it has definitely given me the strength and encouragement – the programme gives you confidence when you are so sleep deprived that you haven't any, in abilities to obtain the sleep you so desperately crave! I have struggled because I quite often have nights of zero sleep and I am very low on the day after this experience. The Sleepio programme is such a helpful tool to assist with developing good habits and strategies to use. It is particularly helpful with encouragement, when you are struggling with sleep and feeling so low.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi Gabeiel
    You’re doing so well – I hope you realise this!!
    You might get up and do QHR then go back to bed when you are sleepy-tired. Just don’t put in any bright lights when you get up…the other thing you could try is moving your sleep window – go to bed an hour later to see if you can move the awakenings completely or at least to 5.00 am…a 5.00 am start isn’t as bad as it seems!

One of the things I have learnt to do is tell myself I need more sleep and I deserve more sleep.
    So when I wake up in the wee small hours…I turn my pillow over to the cool side and congratulate myself on having slept xyz hours but that I need more sleep! I lie back down and breathe deeply into the pillow and relax.
    Try it and see if it works – it has worked for other Sleepios ;)
    If you have worrying thoughts in the night – when you are awake – try to resolve them during the day – so you go to bed with a clear head.
    Best sleepio wishes
    Kurly ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hi, I just finished third day of restriction. I went to bed at 2, felt nervous once in bed, did body scan and mindful breath to stay calm. I felt that I didn't fall asleep. I got up twice, wrote and read something before going back to bed. I was not sure if I got any sleep at all when I got up at 7. I am finding it very tough, hope fellow Sleepios can give me support and tips to deal with the restriction better.

• Sleepio Member

• 32 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sue,
    Sleep restriction is really tough – I don't think anyone anticipates how hard it will be. If I'd understood that Sleepio was a sleep restriction programme when I first came across it I would never have signed up – I watched a tv programme about SR years ago and thought I could never do that! However I did and have done it.

There is no magic wand, I'm afraid but I believe you can do it. It is grim being up in the middle of the night but you came to Sleepio because you needed help to improve your sleep and this will definitely be part of it. You will feel despondent and desperate but you also will find your way through and have some good solid blocks of sleep.

I found making my own mantras for getting into bed really helpful. It may sound a bit bonkers, but every night I say these or variations on them “I love getting into bed” (I really do, but insomnia made me forget that) “This is the right place at the right time” (because I always used to fret that I wasn't getting enough sleep) and “I have done all I can, now it's time to sleep” (to leave all the worries behind) Feel free to use mine or make up some of your own!

More people see your message if you post it on the community page, so if you're having a rough time, or a want to share a success, post one there. Or click on someone's name to take you to their profile to have a chat.

Hope this helps, msg me if you need more support or advice.
    Jarabia :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I too am finding sleep restriction hard. On the first night I got 3.5 hrs sleep, so trying to stay awake till my new bedtime the second night was challenging.
    Second night was a bit better, but I'm finding it hard to get out of bed after 15 minutes, because I'm so exhausted (to the point that I almost feel physically incapable of getting out of bed).
    Here's hoping things get easier….

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I have just started sleepio due to GP referral. My stress levels are high due to lockdown, needing complete shoulder replacement and deciding to move house to be nearer family so lots to worry about. I go to sleep quickly as I’m so tired but wake after two hours and then spend the next two hours listening to mood music and doing mindfulness exercises to help me relax and go back to sleep. Eventually I go to sleep, then an hour later I’m awake and the pattern starts again. I think I only had 41/2 hours sleep last night so am hoping sleepio will break this cycle.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hi there,

I have found Sleepio really helpful at reframing my attitude to sleep and helping when I wake in the night. It's definitely worth sticking with the programme as things really can improve when you follow the guidance. Best of luck, I'm sure Sleepio will be helpful for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hello
    I agree with Hippychick01 and others. Sleepio gives structure and focus.
    I have moved from feeling fairly helpless and out of control with my sleeping for years to having strategies and a plan. I doesn't work every night but my overall trend is improving and I feel more confident in my own capacity to manage my sleep.
    The plethora of information about the importance of getting a good night's sleep is really difficult to hear if you can't sleep well yourself.
    So thank you Sleepio team; I would really recommend giving the approach a go!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi,
    I have found my sleep has got worse since using sleepio and getting very anxious. I go to bed around 10/10.30pm do relaxation and listen to relaxing music and sometimes try without. It takes me a long time to get to sleep then wake up 3/4 times then can't sleep again. I'm so tired. Maybe I am now trying to concentrate too much on sleeping?

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi all,

I've completely turned me sleep around and I did it by completely giving up caffeine. I never thought caffeine was a problem for me. I've had sleep problems since I was a child, well before I was drinking tea and coffee. And I could always sleep during the day, even immediately after drinking two cups of coffee. I never drank caffeine within four hours of bed. But I decided to give it up completely.

I went cold turkey and had four days of headaches but others could just gradually decrease their intake. After about a week, I started falling asleep much easier and now most nights I can fall asleep within an hour and wake up at a reasonable time in the morning. My mood and productivity are so much better and I rarely feel like I need to sleep during the day.

I hope others will find this useful and think about cutting out caffeine even if they never thought it was a problem before.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I cannot get the program to extend beyond the opening speech about 'What causes sleep problems'. It just ends there and there is no option for continuing. So now my insomnia is worse than ever because I feel the whole universe is against me ever getting to sleep again. What the hell is going on??

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sue
    I'm wondering how you're doing now and whether you kept at it.
    I had my first night of sleep restriction last night and now feel dreadful after about 3 hours of sleep and 5 hours in bed.
    I'm 73 and have an auto immune problem plus ADHD.
    I can't seem to get much advice for my adult ADHD other than meds which I don't want to take. Does anyone know if the programme can work by approaching it a bit slower? I was going to visit my son at the weekend following lockdown but I wouldn't be able to drive there if I feel like this. I've had anxiety all my life but this is making it far worse. I think I'm going to have to stop decide my own way forward and maybe just set a getting up time to begin with. Any suggestions or comments most welcome.
    Ros

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

If you have medical conditions Sleepio gives you a minimum 6 hour window. Maybe something went wrong. You could ask tech support to adjust your window.

A slower approach is sleep compression. Dr. Kanady answered my questions about this in the live session of May 12th. You can find this in the discussion topics on the community page—meaning the same place you found this thread.

Setting a consistent get-up time is a great start too.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Nicola I've looked at your other thread. Interesting. How do I change my sleep window in my schedule? It doesn't seem to allow me to do this and without that my SE isn't making sense.

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

You can’t do it yourself, but I was told tech support can do this for you. On your diary page, bottom right, there is an envelope icon. Click on that and a message window opens.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I am on week 3 and trying to do the 5 hours sleep is so hard .but I will keep it up after over 20 year's on sleeping tablets. I have had 9 children and done all night feeds I think this is where my insomnia started.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

I have just completed the second week and have found this has made things worse for me.

Most of the stuff is obvious things i was already doing, no caffeine or other stimulants in the evening, make sure bed is comfortable, room is dark ect. Literally everything these sessions have said so far i have found via googling and tried with no success.

The one new thing is the laying in bed stressing about not being able to sleep makes it much harder to get to sleep. Before i could lay in bed for a good hour and half before starting worrying.

But now it has been pointed out to me i literally cannot get this out of my head, as soon as i try to go to sleep the stuff said about worrying making it harder pops into my head, which of course causes me to start worrying i am not going to sleep leading to me getting stressed out and not being able to sleep.

That whole give advice to someone bit they did then said hey that was a trick it was based on your problems and the advice was relevant to your situation so think in them terms.

So i lay in bed worrying, then tell myself it isn't too bad cuz it happens to alot of people and i am not alone, that doesn't help because then i start thinking yeah it happens to others but if i don't get sleep and go to work and get on the trucks i could run into someone through sleep deprived lack or focus.

How exactly do i remedy this, cuz nothing i can find here tells you how to deal with having it pointed out that worrying makes it worse causes you to worry more and have more trouble sleeping.

• Sleepio Member

• 63 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

These kinds of thoughts about sleep are addressed in Session 4. Mindfulness is mentioned as one of the tools to cope with worrying about sleep. I was intrigued, but found the information in session 4 too brief to help. A number of us have found more help on mindfulness from other sources. I like Guy Meadows sleep app, Sleep School. It's about $30, or presumably the equivalent in pounds. He addresses the exact problem you describe and there is advice and meditations to do when you get this way. Other Sleepios use other meditation apps. Calm and Headspace are the two I've seen a few times. There is also free meditation content on YouTube.

And again, as I said in my other reply you can ask Dr. Jen for advice here. What you describe is a common and known thing, and there are ways to address it, but you do have to experiment to find what works for you.

Return to top