Are you a Sleepio user in the UK who would like to share your Sleepio experience?

We’re launching an exciting new NHS project in the counties of Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire area later this year and are making a public announcement next week!

Ahead of the announcement we're looking for Sleepio users who would be willing to talk to journalists on the phone about their sleep, and their experience using the Sleepio program. If you would prefer to write a short quote which you would be happy to have included in a written press release, that would also be extremely helpful!

If interested in getting involved, please, either post here in reply to this discussion, or email Dr. Sophie Bostock at sophie@sleepio.com, to find out more.

Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 6:58 PM
  • 11 comments
  • 8 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I would be very happy to share my positive experience of Sleepio. I have found it very well-constructed and a pleasure to use. Best of all, it's worked! I'm sleeping well, 8 weeks after beginning the course. I followed the course to the letter, despite initial misgivings, and it's repaid my investment. Thanks so much, Prof Espie and your team.

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Thanks so much, Bumpingalong! I'll be in touch via email, but just wanted to say thanks for the offer here.

Personal stories make a huge difference when trying to explain to the NHS why there ought to be alternatives to sleeping pills. We have the business case, and the clinical evidence, but when we're trying to change practice, we know that our users' perspectives can be incredibly powerful.

We'll have lots of opportunities to spread the word as we try and improve access to Sleepio within the NHS this year, so would be hugely appreciative of anyone volunteering to get involved.

Sophie
    Dr Sophie Bostock – UK Innovation Lead
    sophie@sleepio.com

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I hope you are successful with this. It is just the sort of thing the NHS needs. I have found it excellent and the length is just right, long enough to be effective but not so long that you lose interest before seeing results.

• Sleepio Member

• 620 comments
    • 267 helped
    Graduate

I had a sudden onset of insomnia, it seemed I couldn't sleep at all, if I started to drop off I jerked awake. I got very anxious and I was having panic attacks. It was a couple of weeks before I saw my GP, who put me on sleeping tablets, I took them for a few weeks but I didn't like them, if I didn't take them, I didn't sleep. I was scared and went back to the doctor. I didn't want any more sleeping tablets so the doctor put me on antidepressants, I also had some Diazapam to calm me down. The Diazapam helped me to sleep but I couldn't keep taking them because they are addictive. The GP also told me about 'Talking Space' and told me to ring them. I did that, but initially they go on about suicide which didn't help my anxiety. Fortunately a neighbour of mine told me about sleepio and I signed up straight away.

Sleepio isn't easy to do, but the community are really good and encourage you to do as Prof has instructed. So I followed it to the letter apart from QHR, which made my anxiety worse so I stretched it out to about 25 minutes before I got up if I couldn't sleep. I started to sleep the odd night in week 4 and my panic attacks seemed to stop, but my anxiety was still bad. My sleep got better over a period of six months. But here I am now almost 3 years on, still doing 15 minutes wind down just sitting in the dark before bed, having got ready for bed beforehand, I find my way to bed with a torch so that I don't need to put lights on or wake my husband, and I sleep so well. I sleep better than I did before I had insomnia. I always had to get up for the loo but now most nights I sleep right through, getting off to sleep quickly and feeling happy when I wake up that I have had another good night. If I get the odd night when I struggle to sleep I get up for 10 minutes and go back to bed and sleep. I don't stay in bed for long after I wake in the morning, I prefer to get up.

I am so glad I joined sleepio, I still look in on sleepio and try to help and encourage new sleepios to follow Prof's instructions and tell them my experience with
    sleepio.

I don't know if I need to stick to my nightly ritual, but it works for me, it's no bother. I get up to 6 hours solid sleep, which is plenty for me, it's much better than 8 hours broken sleep.

Thank you sleepio!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I managed to get a free sleepio course after I tested an app (which I have to say I thought was not very good). I was very cynical about the possibility of improving my sleep but having done the course, and graduated, I am sleeping much better. It hasn't altered my underlying problem of chronic neuropathic pain, habitual waking up at night with children, and having been a shift worker, but what it has done has improved my sleep, simply by making me stay up later so that I am really exhausted by the time I get to bed. The crunch will come in the winter months when it is dark and cold and I am desperate to get to bed just to warm up. The course actually does work if you stick to it and you can't expect to change a lifetime of bad sleep in just a few weeks. I am very grateful to have been able to do the course free as I could not have paid for it. I am very anti medication as any medication is going to have side effects if it is going to work, and if changing your sleep pattern saves taking medication it has to be better. Another effect of doing the course which has been a pleasant surprise is that I now do an hour piano playing before I head off to bed, which is brilliant (unlike my playing) and very good fun (though possibly not for my neighbours)

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

My GP suggested I tried Sleepio as I was waking two or three times a night or worse, waking after a couple of hour’s sleep and staying awake for rest of night. It was causing me anxiety and low mood. The sense of relief on being helped by this excellent and user friendly programme helped me relax, not dread going to bed and immediately sleep better. It’s a progressive course, each week building on the previous one. Sometimes it can be tough but I’m now used to going to bed much later and getting up as soon as I wake. I usually manage around seven hours sleep each night sometimes going right through with no waking. I’m so grateful to Professor Espie for showing me a way forward through Sleepio and giving me back my enjoyable days

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I am happy to talk about my experience of using the Sleepio programme to overcome my sleep difficulties

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

I would be happy to talk about my experience of using Sleepio. My GP suggested it. Having had many years of sleep disruption and eventually dreading going to bed, even though I was exhausted, I was at my wits end. I have just been awarded an extra 15 minutes in bed which I am chuffed about. It is a tough programme but I can already feel the confidence returning in going to bed and actually falling asleep. Also not waking so often during the night. I am still quite new to this but am quite hopeful at achieving my goal of a restful night's sleep and feeling able to cope with the next day.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 1

I am not from the UK. My employer has purchased this program and so I'm feeling rather forced to complete it.
    I think there is some value with the information for sure but I just can't stomach it. I can't believe how juvenile this program is. Not to mention it takes forever to complete. I don't understand how people can take this info seriously the way it is structured visually etc. I am extremely frustrated with the quality and quantity of info. It's too much and too time consuming! It often freezes on me when I'm trying to get through the session. I would like to be able to use via mobile app but doesn't seem to work very well. I'd like to give a better recommendation, truly, but I would not recommend this to anyone at this time.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

Hi, just wanted to say Hello and that I’m just starting out on this programme so looking forward to improving my sleep. Happy to share how things are progressing.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I would be very happy to share my experiences of using the techniques on the Sleepio course. I have been a poor sleeper for most of my life and the five weeks that I have spent so far on this course have made a significant and positive difference. I have found the CBT techniques to be immensely helpful in reconfiguring my approach to sleep. Perhaps the most important thing that I have discovered is the sense of my own agency. I no longer feel that poor sleep is something I have to suffer because it is somehow ‘hard-wired’ into me – instead I now feel that I have a degree of control over the way I sleep. I might still wake up in the night but I no longer lie awake worrying, and getting to sleep seems to be so much easier. Perhaps the best thing I can say is that I no longer self-identify as an insomniac – how wonderful is that!

Return to top